Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Comcast - Data Caps

Metairie Road

I have been a Comcast subscriber for several years now and have been mostly satisfied with their cable/internet service.

However, for the first time, I received a message from Comcast telling me that I had exceeded my 'Data Cap' and would be charged for any additional data.

Maybe I'm just ignorant or I didn't read the 'small print', but I wasn't aware that I had a 'Data Cap'

Naturally, I immediately shifted into conspiracy theory mode and started imagining a room full of evil little goblins at Comcast's corporate headquarters; whose only brief is to devise schemes to squeeze as much money out of their customers as possible

I can't help feeling that data capping will have a detrimental effect on internet usage. Most people will stop using the internet rather than incur additional charges.

Are they killing the golden goose from sheer greed?

http://techcrunch.com/2014/05/14/comcast-wants-to-put-data-caps-on-all-customers-within-5-years/

Regards
Metairie Road

What the hell do they mean "data cap"?  What did they tell you when you called them (I'm assuming you did)?  Sounds like they're being run by a bunch of bankers, with their arbitrary fees.  If there's another cable provider, I'd call them, ask if THEY have a "data cap", and if not, I'd switch!

Sepiatone

• Like 1

Yup sounds like the newest cash grab by corporates who want to keep the money flowing.

Just as disturbing, I recently found a line on my land line phone bill, "Shortfall Fee". When speaking to a customer service rep I was told  I didn't make the "minimum" amount of long distance calls they expected, so they CHARGE me to bring the minimum payment up.

WHAT?

Being charged for calls you don't make? What happens if I go away for a month? You pay the monthly fee for the "plan", all the calls themselves plus the taxes AND calls you didn't make?

Our world is getting crazier every day.

What the hell do they mean "data cap"?  What did they tell you when you called them (I'm assuming you did)?  Sounds like they're being run by a bunch of bankers, with their arbitrary fees.  If there's another cable provider, I'd call them, ask if THEY have a "data cap", and if not, I'd switch!

Sepiatone

They will all have data caps before long. They are all crooks. Once one cable company puts out that trial balloon and the public accepts it like sheep, all the other cable companies will go along.

Think I'm wrong? Think again.

Test caps have been in selected areas for some time. They (the evil ones) are waiting to see where the dollars level out as far as customer's acceptance goes - then, as primosprimos has said, they will all jump on the wagon.

Test caps have been in selected areas for some time. They (the evil ones) are waiting to see where the dollars level out as far as customer's acceptance goes - then, as primosprimos has said, they will all jump on the wagon.

I have a yearly fracas (love that word) with FIOS, where something they do annoys me enough to my threaten a move to Cablevision. I can't even remember this year's, but I still hate them all to pieces, since of course I didn't switch. Thing is, neither of them care. None of the cable companies care. When I gave Cablevision my usual spiel about being a customer for 30 years and having gone over to FIOS because Cablevision stole 10 of my channels (including TCM) when they changed to digital from analog, the guy asked me, snottily, if I kept my analog when I went to FIOS. In other words............well, you know the other words.

KidDabb, they have us over a barrel, and as long as there are cable lobbyists in Washington paying off politicians, we will never get our freedom to choose the channels we like. Oh, we can cut the cord, but read around, that doesn't work out either.

Bless American customers, they accept all kinds of humiliations - 48 ounces of ice cream where previously there were 64, 5.7 ounces of yogurt where there were 8, junk appliances that have to be replaced and can't be fixed, same for shoes and clothes, and so on and so forth.

Start The Revolution Without Me. :)

Oh, we can cut the cord, but read around, that doesn't work out either.

Bless American customers, they accept all kinds of humiliations - 48 ounces of ice cream where previously there were 64

Oh Primo, cutting the cord works out.

I got rid of my cable and am doing just fine. Granted, I now record a few TCM movies from friend's cable (they afford it) but it's becoming fewer & fewer movies each month. 

And when a company cuts the grocery item size and ups the price, I find another brand I can afford. This week I had Verizon cut that long distance "service" out. Imagine, paying for calls I don't make so they make a "minimum".

It's called having to live on a fixed income.

Just as disturbing, I recently found a line on my land line phone bill, "Shortfall Fee". When speaking to a customer service rep I was told  I didn't make the "minimum" amount of long distance calls they expected, so they CHARGE me to bring the minimum payment up.

WHAT?

Being charged for calls you don't make? 

I have heard it told that an automobile mechanic added: "SFC" charge. A customer asked about it. The mechanic explained that it meant: "Son's First Car." He had been adding the fee since finding that he was not going to be able to save a proper amount to buy his son an automobile when he turned sixteen. It is said that he had been adding the fee for several years and no other customer had questioned it.

Making packaging smaller with no adjustment in price has become standard practice. Consumerist.com terms it: "Grocery Shrink Ray."

http://consumerist.com/?s=shrinkray

@Primo:  Do I think you're wrong?  Of course not!  Judging by the way a lot of people walk around in a 'texting stupor" and judging by the asinine reasons they try to justify it with, it seems millions of people have drunk the Kool-Ade.

Sepiatone

I have been a Comcast subscriber for several years now and have been mostly satisfied with their cable/internet service.

However, for the first time, I received a message from Comcast telling me that I had exceeded my 'Data Cap' and would be charged for any additional data.

Maybe I'm just ignorant or I didn't read the 'small print', but I wasn't aware that I had a 'Data Cap'

Naturally, I immediately shifted into conspiracy theory mode and started imagining a room full of evil little goblins at Comcast's corporate headquarters; whose only brief is to devise schemes to squeeze as much money out of their customers as possible

Metairie Road

Hey Met-tree,

I had a big argument with my telephone company recently. I was looking over their website and I saw an advertisement for “bundled” internet service: If I sign up for use of that company for my home phone number, then I can get their internet service for $19.95 a month for 10 Mbps.

Well, I’m already “bundled” with their basic home phone service, and I’m already paying the same company an additional $28 a month for internet service at 1.5 Mbps.

So I called them up to ask why I’m being charged more than the $19.95 for the internet service?

The lady said, basically, “Blah, blah, blah, blah, and furthermore, you blah, blah, blah, and, in addition, you are disqualified because of blah, blah, blah, and blah.”

I told her about the advertisement, and she said, “Look at the fine print”. I said the advertisement is in a solid text box on my computer screen, and there is no fine print and no asterisk either. She said I needed to “find” the “fine print”.

Well, so, the story is, basically, the advertisement lies, the phone company lies, the ladies who answer the phones are trained to lie, and the people programming the “special deals” on their internet website are lying too.

Well, so, the story is, basically, the advertisement lies, the phone company lies, the ladies who answer the phones are trained to lie, and the people programming the “special deals” on their internet website are lying too.

If you find proof of a company lying-SUE them. They are legally liable.

I find it just easier to dump the "service" and go elsewhere. Never sign up for a contract with these companies. They are counting on the thousands of people who just blindly pay monthly for "services" they "must have" brainwash.

Amazingly, when I walk through the Mall to go to work, I see crowds outside these stores waiting for them to open.

Sometimes I wonder what the heck I'm missing....other times thankful I'm missing it.

If you find proof of a company lying-SUE them. They are legally liable.

No, they have worked out legal loopholes. Their packages contain unwritten and unpublished rules that I can't find out about, but the sales people know them. Every contract now has an escape clause that says the terms of the contract can change at any time and without any notice to the customer.

It could cost $100,000 to sue a company, and I could still lose the case, since the companies use high-powered lawyers to draw up the contracts, and I can't afford to hire a high-powered Washington, New York, or Los Angeles attorney.

I remember one of the Fox News anchors complaining about this same thing. He said his AT&T phone contract said "no limit" on calls. He said that he began getting bills that said he owed them more money each month because he had "exceeded his limit". He raised heck about it on the air many times, and finally got AT&T to back down. But, I'm not a network TV news anchor and I can't get thousands of dollars in free network air-time to complain about my local telephone company.

But, I'm not a network TV news anchor and I can't get thousands of dollars in free network air-time to complain about my local telephone company.

Then GET a TV news anchor to air your complaints. If you don't want to stand up for yourself, have someone else do it. You have an attorney general in your state right? Fill out the form!

Nothing will be accomplished if you just sit back and continue rewarding the company by paying them every month for "services" you don't want-or in your case paying twice for one service.

That only perpetuates the rip-off.

(this is exactly how stores came to "honor" misleading sign prices-enough people brought incidents naming names to media and government attention)

Fox News anchors

Oy.

I recall the huge hub-ub on these boards when cable companies raised their prices and put popular channels on higher tiers. Everyone complained, but very few actually DID anything about it. Most "got over it" and continue paying the cash cow. I'm one of the very few who just said, "no thanks" and simply said goodbye to cable.

Complaints have very little effect. If you want to see anything change, YOU have to start it.

But, I'm not a network TV news anchor and I can't get thousands of dollars in free network air-time to complain about my local telephone company.

Then GET a TV news anchor to air your complaints. If you don't want to stand up for yourself, have someone else do it. You have an attorney general in your state right? Fill out the form!

My local TV channels are not going to do any stupid story about how my phone company is cheating me out of $8.05 a month.

And I’m pretty sure that my state’s Attorney General is not going to stop what he or she is doing, to get busy trying to threaten my phone company into reducing my monthly internet fee by $8.05.

Then GET a TV news anchor to air your complaints. 

My fiance tells of a man who moved to Denver to become the morning DJ of a popular radio station. Having a telephone installed in his home became an ordeal of missed appointments and unfulfilled promises. He began to speak of the trouble on the air. The local telephone company is: "Mountain Bell" and he began to call it: "Mattel Bell." This continued for several weeks. My fiance has on cassette tape a recording of the DJ apologizing on-air. The radio station had received a letter from corporate attorneys requesting that he stop calling: :Mountain Bell" "Mattel Bell." The DJ read the salient points of the letter on-air. It included statements that the company had long tradition of high quality and it was dedicated to meeting the hopes and of fulfilling the dreams of its customers and it did not appreciate having its name mis-used. The letter was from the toy-maker: Mattel and they did not wish their name associated with the telephone company.

My local TV channels are not going to do any stupid story about how my phone company is cheating me out of $8.05 a month.

And I’m pretty sure that my state’s Attorney General is not going to stop what he or she is doing, to get busy trying to threaten my phone company into reducing my monthly internet fee by $8.05.

So your plan of action is NO ACTION. You've concluded the amount of money is too petty to bother complaining about. I'm sure this is exactly what the company relies upon-100 people too complacent to bother - nets them $80/month, $960/year for doing nothing.

Wish I could talk people into giving ME money for nothing.

It was customer complaints to the Attny Gen that created the protection of proper, not misleading "sale" signs. We all benefit from action over "petty" amounts of money. Doesn't it all add up?

So your plan of action is NO ACTION. You've concluded the amount of money is too petty to bother complaining about. I'm sure this is exactly what the company relies upon-100 people too complacent to bother - nets them $80/month, $960/year for doing nothing.

I am sorry to say that I must take exception to your arithmetic. One-hundred people paying an unearned: $8.05 per month is: $805 per month or $9660 per year.

This is self-sustaining as it is an amount sufficient for them to hire eighteen off-shore customer service representatives to frustrate so thoroughly one-hundred complaining customers that the customers take no action.

I am sorry to say that I must take exception to your arithmetic.

Heh, obviously I had "10" in my head. i earn another board "correction"

theshining.jpg

This is self-sustaining as it is an amount sufficient for them to hire eighteen off-shore customer service representatives to frustrate so thoroughly one-hundred complaining customers that the customers take no inaction.

That's it, isn't it folks?

Big business (insurance co, drug co, cable, internet etc) have become so powerful they have redefined "the rules" of how business is conducted. No longer is service based on pay and customer satisfaction... all energies are funneled to perpetuate their cash cow for shareholders profits. 

Recently there was a vote in my City to raise property taxes 2% for badly needed repairs, arguing no resident would pay any extra because the State is giving every property owner a cash "rebate". Why doesn't the State just give the City the "rebate" to help pay for the needed work?

Things have become way too complicated, sometimes simpler is better.

How do we get out of this hole, go back to bartering?

How do we get out of this hole, go back to bartering?

We lived near a market where people bring their goods and wares each day. It was common type of thing to take there a dress which I had outgrown to trade for copper cup and porcelain thimble. I needed those things because I could trade the cup for two books and I could trade thimble for earrings. Trade one book for small picture frame. Trade other book for leather belt. Trade earrings for scarf. Trade picture frame for box of mismatched buttons. Trade belt, buttons, scarf and promise to babysit next evening for new skirt.

Tables and stalls for such goods were along edges of the square and center of square was for selling and buying food. It was by this that it was often a long way to walk from one trade to next trade and then have to walk back perhaps farther to make next and so on until you have what you wish.

It is quick and easy today to put old dress in charity bin and go to store to buy new. It takes little thought or cunning and it does not give the exercise. It does assure that you acquire what you wish and do not have two ladles, a copper ashtray and a duckling when market closes when you wanted a good blanket.