Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"JAMES ARNESS...and the TELEVISION HALL OF FAME".

lanetemple

I was just looking at the list of the people who were inducted into Television's Hall of Fame over the years and I could not find James Arness' name among them. Does anyone know why? I think that is an injustice.

Oh!...the THRILL of it ALL!!!!!!!!!!!

All the BEST!

Lane Temple

I'll say it is!  He produced much of Gunsmoke  as well as starred in it.  Law and Order might claim it was on longer but I'm guessing there were more Gunsmoke episodes made in their 20 years than L&O in its 20 1/2.   

Later he did The McCahans.  He was also a credit to the industry off-screen.    

I don't think Dick Powell, whose 4-Star company gave us everything from Zane Grey Theater to The Big Valley, is in there either.  That's just the Westerns, there were cops and anthologies as well.  He never produced a bad show; some were just more popular than others.    

Hello wouldbestar,

I would not say that he produced Gunsmoke, that was done by Charles Marquis Warren/Norman Macdonnel, then Norman Macdonnel, then Philip Leacock, and then John Mantley. However, it boggles my mind why they did not induct him into the T.V. Hall of Fame. He must have peed on someones lawn.

Thanks for your imput on the matter.

Lane Temple

Hello wouldbestar,

I would not say that he produced Gunsmoke, that was done by Charles Marquis Warren/Norman Macdonnel, then Norman Macdonnel, then Philip Leacock, and then John Mantley. However, it boggles my mind why they did not induct him into the T.V. Hall of Fame. He must have peed on someones lawn.

Thanks for your imput on the matter.

Lane Temple

To learn that Mr. Arness is not in the TV Hall of Fame is like learning that Earth is flat or the sun will come up in the West.  Mind boggling!!  What a sad travesty.

Not to derail this thread, but.. all this talk of James Arness not being in the TV Hall of Fame got me to checking out Lorne Greene, who was a big presence in my early years of watching tv. Lorne is also missing from the Hall.

Both of these men have awards and accolades - enough for several actors.

• Like 1

Well Kid Dabb,...I have been reading your posts here for about 2 years and normally you make good sense. However, Lorne Greene does not belong in the T.V. Hall of Fame in my opinion. If you put him into the Hall then you would have to put into the Hall actors like Richard Boone, Chuck Connors, etc. It's my opinion that James Arness should enter the Hall by himself.

Kid, please re-think your statement and let me know how we can get James Arness inducted. I have a few suggestions.

I remain, Lane Temple, no brag, just fact.

Lane Temple

Well Kid Dabb,...I have been reading your posts here for about 2 years and normally you make good sense. However, Lorne Greene does not belong in the T.V. Hall of Fame in my opinion. If you put him into the Hall then you would have to put into the Hall actors like Richard Boone, Chuck Connors, etc. It's my opinion that James Arness should enter the Hall by himself.

Kid, please re-think your statement and let me know how we can get James Arness inducted. I have a few suggestions.

I remain, Lane Temple, no brag, just fact.

Lane Temple

Not to worry, lanetemple. I was not promoting Lorne Greene's admittance to The Hall - just pointing out his absence.

I emailed the Academy asking how we might go about voting an actor/actress into the Television Hall of Fame. Thank you.

A sunset beckons..

It's in my morning mail -

onlinevoting@televisionacademy.com

We are permitted to make "suggestions", but we are not permitted to vote - that is done by committee members. Suggestions can be sent via email to the above email address.

Thanks Kid Dabb, you do good work. Anyway, if Andy Griffith, Alan Alda, William Shatner, Bill Cosby, James Garner, Carroll O'Connor, Edward Asner, MIKE LANDON, and SHERMAN HEMSLEY are in the Hall then James Arness certainly belongs there also.

Lane Temple.

• 2 weeks later...

THINKING OUT LOUD....It is hard to believe that it is ONLY wouldbestar, roverrocks, Kid Dabb, and myself, who think that James Arness SHOULD be inducted into Televisions Hall of Fame. Mr Arness deserved better.

I am, Lane Temple, a man who's teeth were cut out of branding iron.

Lane Temple

It is a real shame that James Arness is not in the Hall of Fame.To add insult to injury, he never won an Emmy for Outstanding Male Performer. He was nominated 3 times in the late 1950's, but lost out to Robert Young {twice} and Raymond Burr{once}. Dennis Weaver did manage to win a Supporting Emmy for his Chester Goode role.It would have been nice for him to get into the Hall of Fame before he went to the big round-up in the sky....

The is a fair point, Fred. Hopefully I can call U Fred. And speaking of Dennis Weaver, he created one of the most iconic characters in the history of early television, Chester Goode. Jim Arness should be in the T.V. Hall of Fame by himself, however, I would have no problem if Jim and Dennis went into the Hall together.

All the Best!

Lane Temple

Both Ken Curtis and Dennis Weaver died before Arness and I used to imagine them in "Cowboy Heaven" arguing over which one would be the first to offer him a cup of coffee from that old blue pot when he got there.   Everyone in the cast but Buck Taylor and Burt Reynolds are now gone in body but on film they are still with us.

I agree wouldbestar, the Oasis Saloon in Dodge City's cowboy "Heaven" must be a fun place to be. Yeah, Buck and Burt are still around and so is Roger Ewing. So are Andy McLaglen and Vincent McEveety but most of them are gone now and may they REST IN PEACE.

Lane Temple

THINKING OUT LOUD...I wonder if I can post a trivia question on this WESTERN Thread or do I have to post it on the Thread called TRIVIA....the question pertains to James Arness and I do not think that anyone will be able to answer it.  I sure hope that Kid Dabb sees this comment.

I am, Lane Temple, another man who became a legend in his own time.

Lane Temple

• 3 weeks later...

Is James Arness really not in the hall of fame? that is insane.

Is anyone associated with Gunsmoke in the Western Hall of Fame?    If not that might explain why Arness isn't.   The show wasn't centered around one character.   Yea,  more plots centered around the Arness character then any other but this was an ensemble type show.     Hey, I'm not saying what I'm saying is a legit reason to keep Arness out.   My point is that how people get into any hall of fame is subject to a lot of things that might not make sense to those that don't have a say.      e.g. Pete Rose and the baseball Hall of Fame.

Is anyone associated with Gunsmoke in the Western Hall of Fame?    If not that might explain why Arness isn't.   The show wasn't centered around one character.   Yea,  more plots centered around the Arness character then any other but this was an ensemble type show.     Hey, I'm not saying what I'm saying is a legit reason to keep Arness out.   My point is that how people get into any hall of fame is subject to a lot of things that might not make sense to those that don't have a say.      e.g. Pete Rose and the baseball Hall of Fame.

Matt was the main character so out of anyone you would figure he would be, and as one of the longest running television shows ever you would think that would mean something.

Hello Wagon Train,

You and I know the reason why Pete Rose is not in Copperstown even though he belongs there. However, we don't know the reason why Arness is kept out of the Television Hall of Fame even though he belongs there. I think he probably ****#d on the lawns of Carol Burnett and Norman Lear.

Ah!...THRILL of it ALL!!!

Lane Temple

Hello Wagon Train,

You and I know the reason why Pete Rose is not in Copperstown even though he belongs there. However, we don't know the reason why Arness is kept out of the Television Hall of Fame even though he belongs there. I think he probably ****#d on the lawns of Carol Burnett and Norman Lear.

Ah!...THRILL of it ALL!!!

Lane Temple

So lane,  how does one get into the Western Hall of Fame?   By vote?   How many members are there?   How often do they vote?  

Anyhow,  have you written to anyone in the hall and asked them?  

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings