Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
slaytonf

Did Rock Hudson ever make a good movie?

Well, all I can say to that misswonderly, is that whenever an actress has come out as lesbian, I'm not any less attracted to her. And I mean not any less. Women can do anything they want sexually and I find them to be fantastic!

Someone mentioned "The Spiral Road."  I've only seen this movie one time, and it was many years ago.  But I remember Rock Hudson being very, very good in this.  It's not a well-known movie, but I've always wanted to see it again. If I remember correctly, this is one of his very best performances.  Does anyone else remember this movie?

Terrence.

One thing I can say without getting tangled up in vague and possibly embarrassing speculations is, Rock Hudson was a fine comic actor, I think he was very funny, and had great comic timing. He's hilarious in those Doris Day films, often because he's sort of making gentle fun of his own handsomeness. Kind of like a 50s/60s George Clooney.

I agree MissW about Rock's comic timing. It was excellent. Besides the films he starred in with Doris Day that were great, as someone else mentioned, he was so funny in COME SEPTEMBER.

Yes, he was a movie star, but I think he proved his acting abilities in those comedies.

As far as dramas go,I love the film GIANT and thought his performance was so good. So yes, I think Rock was not just a Movie Star, but also a good actor.

Well, all I can say to that misswonderly, is that whenever an actress has come out as lesbian, I'm not any less attracted to her. And I mean not any less. Women can do anything they want sexually and I find them to be fantastic!

Come to think of it, I have a thing for Clifton Webb. And maybe Paul Lynde. :huh:

Anyway, I don't want to derail this thread, and this is maybe a topic for another (thread, that is.)

Someone mentioned "The Spiral Road."  I've only seen this movie one time, and it was many years ago.  But I remember Rock Hudson being very, very good in this.  It's not a well-known movie, but I've always wanted to see it again. If I remember correctly, this is one of his very best performances.  Does anyone else remember this movie?

Terrence.

I remember seeing it, but it was so long ago, I dont remember anything about it. Wonder why it isnt shown? Universal again?

Come to think of it, I have a thing for Clifton Webb. And maybe Paul Lynde. :huh:

Anyway, I don't want to derail this thread, and this is maybe a topic for another (thread, that is.)

Weird tastes. (LOL).

I'm sorry, Primo, if YOU thought the "venom" comment was aimed at ONLY you.  It was aimed at all those who did make venomous comments.  Maybe I WAS being a bit sensitive in thinking comments like "stinko movies" and "Eww!" weren't really all that objective.  Off-hand retorts like "We're entitled to our own opinions", like "Pedestrians have the right of way"( look for my vent on this one in the "preverse thread" thread in the "Off Topic" page) set me off because I usually only hear them from people who wish to justify their doing or saying what they want, and to hell with everyone else.  Not really knowing you, it's unfair for me to lump you into this group.  Maybe you belong there, maybe you don't.  I'll have to wait and see.  Being human, and only human, I'm prone to the same foibles.

Rock Hudson is insignificant in the big scheme of human existence.  Creating useless animosities over any discussion of him is insipid.  However, in the scheme of Hollywood movie history, Hudson does carry significant weight.  One doesn't achieve the adoration of the American public without something about them appealing to them, although I wholeheartedly agree with Menken when he said, "Nobody ever lost a dime underestimating the American public."  This is not to say I think Rock Hudson was a wasted hack.  I think he did some pretty good stuff over the years.  And, like all other actors, he also did some worthless  projects too.

Sepiatone

Weird tastes. (LOL).

Hibi baby, I was keeeding!

His television projects were rather good:

1rockhud.jpg

He made a series of telefilms for Universal in the 1970s, 34 of them with Susan St. James as McMillan & Wife.

1rock.png

I remember watching him in the 80s with Jack Scalia on The Devlin Connection.

1rockh.jpg

And who can forget him with Linda Evans on Dynasty...?

I agree with whoever it was on this thread who said that Rock Hudson was just a hunk-a hunk-a burnin' love.

Ok, they didn't exactly say that, and Rock, while just as handsome as Elvis, had little else in common with him.

But he was a "hunK", as they used to say. Yup, Rock was one tall dark and handsome gentleman.

Now here's something to ponder: as a heterosexual woman,  (nttawwt) I like to look at good-looking or at least attractive (to me) men in movies. I won't watch a film just because of that, but if it's something I'd enjoy anyway, and there's a male actor whom I find attractive in it, it just makes that movie-watching experience all the sweeter.

But is my delight in the beauty of the male actor predicated on the assumption that their sexual orientation is "straight" ? For instance, I'm all agog when I watch a Robert Mitchum film, 75 % because he was usually in good films, but maybe 25% because he is pleasing to behold.

But if Mitch had been gay (which he was not - nobody would ever think otherwise with Mitch) would I get that 25% enjoyment level, related to finding him attractive, quite the same way? I do not know.

Of course, when I'm watching a Rock Hudson movie, I see that he is handsome, and I'm also aware that he was gay. But even if he hadn't been, it would make little difference with me, because, gorgeous though he is, he's "not my type". And not because he's gay, he's just not my type. (Hey, I think Richard Widmark is sexy, so you can't look to me for typical hetero female responses.)

Montgomery Clift: Good actor, if you like the method thing. Good-looking. Doesn't do anything for me, doesn't add that extra frisson when I'm watching a Monty film. But even if Clift had been "straight", again, his looks don't do much for me, so I might remain unmoved anyway.

Aargh, I don't know where this is going. Never mind.

One thing I can say without getting tangled up in vague and possibly embarrassing speculations is, Rock Hudson was a fine comic actor, I think he was very funny, and had great comic timing. He's hilarious in those Doris Day films, often because he's sort of making gentle fun of his own handsomeness. Kind of like a 50s/60s George Clooney.

When one says that a man is tall, dark, and handsome, what is the "dark" supposed to signify?

I recognize that there are some who do not care for the Day-Hudson comedies or are seeing them from a different perspective. However, they would certainly qualify as "Good Movies" and the response they received upon their release would justify that title.

"Pillow Talk" and "Lover Come Back" were massive box-office successes, received mostly glowing reviews, were named as among by top ten films of their respective years by numerous critics and received multiple Oscar nominations.

If you view them without preconceived notions or allowing the sometimes cynical and snide remarks that some have made during the intervening years, they remain very, very funny thanks to good scripts, fine supporting casts but most especially the great chemistry that Day and Hudson have. Something happens when they are together and clearly that spilled over into their personal friendship since I recall a joint interview they did from Carmel in May of 1983 for "Good Morning America". The 20 minute sequence was almost as delightful as one of their big-screen comedies.

I am not trying to say that their films are for everyone but they do hold up better than some would dare admit.

I teach a film class at a college and as part of a class in April screened the 1964 Day-Hudson comedy, "Send Me No Flowers". Out of the class of 29, only 2 had seen the film previously and even I was stunned by the laughter and enjoyment the class experienced while watching the picture and the enthusiastic applause that greeted the film. Several students even told me afterwards variations of "Now that was a funny film and what a great pairing. I've always avoided Doris Day and Rock Hudson films because I was told they were "uncool'. Nothing could be further from the truth....."

So in my personal opinion, Rock did make some "good movies". While his career may have never included that great, defining picture that some stars have made - often in more than one instance - he did make much more than a handful that are worthy of note and that, in some instances, continue to entertain or intrigue ("Seconds" for instance). 

In the words of the Alan Frred film, Don't knock the Rock.

When one says that a man is tall, dark, and handsome, what is the "dark" supposed to signify?

His hair of course. Most women prefer their tall, handsome hunks to have nice dark hair.

His hair of course. Most women prefer their tall, handsome hunks to have nice dark hair.

And so do some men.  Let's not make this a hetero-centric (or hetero-exclusive) conversation. :)

• Like 1

FYI: Pretty Maids all in a Row is showing on Thursday the 20th at (sigh) 12:30 am. Right after Ice Station Zebra- a film I would readily put on the list of "Top Ten Most Overplayed Titles on TCM."

I'm glad they're showing these films, and I'm glad they're making good choices for their SOTM picks, but they really do get the scheduling bass ackward when it comes to putting the most interesting and underrated titles on in the graveyard shift while trotting out the tried, true and tired titles at 8:00 and 10:00.

Doesn't do justice to the star.

(IMO)

What's wrong with blonde hair, a -la Troy Donahue?

What's wrong with blonde hair, a -la Troy Donahue?...So guys are supposed to look better with dark hair, and women are supposed to look better with blonds hair?

And so do some men.  Let's not make this a hetero-centric (or hetero-exclusive) conversation. :)

LOL.

FYI: Pretty Maids all in a Row is showing on Thursday the 20th at (sigh) 12:30 am. Right after Ice Station Zebra- a film I would readily put on the list of "Top Ten Most Overplayed Titles on TCM."

I'm glad they're showing these films, and I'm glad they're making good choices for their SOTM picks, but they really do get the scheduling bass ackward when it comes to putting the most interesting and underrated titles on in the graveyard shift while trotting out the tried, true and tired titles at 8:00 and 10:00.

Doesn't do justice to the star.

(IMO)

Agree. (By the way, I love your name! The Damned Dont Cry, right? :D) But in the case of Pretty Maids it may be due to the adult content. I think it was R rated at the time.....I've never been able to sit through Zebra all the way through (boring) Ranks up there with Zhivago and NBNW in showings. :(

Agree. (By the way, I love your name! The Damned Dont Cry, right? :D) But in the case of Pretty Maids it may be due to the adult content. I think it was R rated at the time.....I've never been able to sit through Zebra all the way through (boring) Ranks up there with Zhivago and NBNW in showings. :(

I have actually seen bare breasts on TCM at six pm in the evening. I have no problem with this, mind you.

They have a tendency to really like showing films that have entr'actes, intro music and exit music (see also Since you Went Away and Duel in the Sun ) guess it takes up more time on the schedule- especially when the weekends when Zebra has shown up about a dozen (seeming) times in the last few years.

Wow. I missed that! I have no problem with it either......

Well, I'm not sure if they're showing Pretty Maids All in a Row as part of their salute- but you can read up on it on wikipedia, it sounds like a weeeeird and kinda kinky film, I know it has a pretty memorable entry in The Psycotronic Video Guide and was based on a screenplay by Star Trek creator Gene Roddenberry (sp?).

Gee, I guess I might be the only one here who actually read that book by Francis Pollini. I found it in a stack of my grandmother's old books when I was about 14 and...it changed my life. :D The book was fairly serious, featuring murders and constant sex all over the high school. Sleazy, but a serious psycho novel once you got past the fact that the author named the student protagonist Ponce deLeon.

From what I've seen of the film, it is anything but and strictly camp, for camp's sake.

Edited to note that I looked up the film and they changed the name of one of the victims from Jill Fairbunn to Fairbutt because Fairbunn was too subtle for Vadim, I guess. Also they added "Harper" as Ponce's last name for some reason.

Thanks Lorna for liking this earlier post.  If there is one place where out gay men can 'own' a conversation, it is in a thread about a famously gay actor.  :)