Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I can't remember the title...

Ahava

Hi all!  I'm new to the forum so please forgive me in advance if I have posted this in the wrong section.  So my Mum and I were discussing Classic movies last night and there is a movie I watched part of a few years ago, but I just can't seem to remember the title.  The plot goes something like this there is a lady who comes into town, she seems like a nice lady and this lovable guy (maybe his name was Big John dunno why but that seems to maybe fit?) anyway this guy falls for her and wants to marry her and even finds a house for them but I think she refuses in the beginning because as it turns out she used to work in a brothel or a saloon, she had a shady past and she thought he deserved better.  Anyway the movie seemed like it was set more in a western style but I'm not sure it was a Western.  My Mum said it sounded like the plot for a Bonanza show but seemed to me it was a movie.  Any help you guys could give will be so appreciated.  At this point it's one of those things thats driving me mad.  :P

this guy falls for her and wants to marry her and even finds a house for them but I think she refuses in the beginning because as it turns out she used to work in a brothel or a saloon, she had a shady past and she thought he deserved better. 

Do you have any idea how many western movies and TV episodes this could describe?

I'm pretty sure you're thinking of Manpower, 1941, starring Marlene Dietrich (as the woman with the shady past), Edward G. Robinson, and George Raft. Here's a link to an article about it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manpower_(1941_film)

For some reason the link to that site doesn't work. Try this one, it's the TCM description of the film:

http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/798/Manpower/

Hi all!  

The plot goes something like this there is a lady who comes into town, she seems like a nice lady and this lovable guy (maybe his name was Big John dunno why but that seems to maybe fit?) anyway this guy falls for her and wants to marry her and even finds a house for them but I think she refuses in the beginning because as it turns out she used to work in a brothel or a saloon, she had a shady past and she thought he deserved better.  Anyway the movie seemed like it was set more in a western style but I'm not sure it was a Western. 

Sounds like the end of STAGECOACH, 1939

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0031971/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_98

Claire-Trevor-John-Wayne-Stagecoach-Vale

No, it sounds exactly like Manpower.

Oh, maybe not. Not if you think it was a Western. What do I know? Rien.

Pedantry Alert - My French studies in college has made me aware of a perfectly wonderul French expression, "Que sais-je" which means, "What do I know?" Despite it's simplicity, it is quite famous, coined by Michel de Montagine (1533-1592) to indicate healthy skepticism regarding knowledge (and not to indicate, "Gosh, how stupid I am."). Wonderful for use in either conversation and writing. Being Canadian and with knowledge of French, you may perhaps already know all this. I had a wonderful French teacher who used it extensively in lectures, ending many a sentence with this little gem of a locution, usually meaning simply "I don't know," or the oft-used "Who knows?"

For more:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michel_de_Montaigne

• 2 weeks later...