Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Anyone have probs with TCM's audio on New York's TWCable ?

boss1968

Hi Gang,

Lately, I've been having audio issues with TCM (here on channel 82 in New York). Mainly the audio is not in sync with the lips moving on the screen. First you hear the audio, and then the lips move on the actors. Like a 2-3 second tape delay. 

Is this just my TV setup, or is anyone else having this prob on channel 82 ? 

My other channels are fine, but it seems like this is only happening with TCM. 

Thanks !

There was an earlier thread on this subject:

http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/49025-sending-or-receiving-end-out-of-sync-audio-tcm/

This has actually been going on for nearly two years. But only in the last two weeks has it become a permanent problem, previously it was an intermittent one. I know of five people scattered around three boroughs who have the same problem, all are on Time Warner Cable. A neighbor down the hall from me has Verizon cable - he has no problem with TCM.

One friend of mine had a tech person in yesterday, this is what he wrote me:

"The cable guy just left, he changed the box,but the problem is still there. He said it's an IT problem and will probably not be fixed for awhile. He spent most of the time bad mouthing Time Warner and how the CEOs only care about their million dollar bonuses."

Hopefully it will be fixed soon, but it's frustrating since this is my favorite channel.

Rather than my detailing what I've been going through (such as the same problem on four different boxes), let me direct you to a thread on the Time Warner Cable forums. I've been quite busy there. I could go on but it's so depressing, just take a look at this thread (scroll down to post 7):

http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/49025-sending-or-receiving-end-out-of-sync-audio-tcm/

I really wish that someone high up in the TCM exec ranks would put some pressure on Time Warner Cable. TCM is the only channel so affected, and while TWC is quite willing to blame the equipment in your home, waste their tech person's time swapping boxes to no avail, and blame TCM for supplying a bad signal, they will not admit that it's an internal issue. I went through this with them once again on Monday night.

75% of my viewing is TCM. If I can't get it the way it's supposed to be, I'll just cancel the cable entirely.

Meanwhile, you can watch perfectly synched TCM via the TWCTV website:  https://video2.timewarnercable.com/

Thanks for the response. It's 'comforting' to know that I am not alone in this, but obviously, I'm not happy that this seems to be a bigger problem than I originally thought. 

I just called TWC and asked about the problem, and the phone tech told me that they certainly know about this issue and are hoping to have it resolved soon. 

Of course, this doesn't help much, since as long as this issue is around, I can't watch nor record anything off TCM ! And I, like most of the folks on here, use/watch TCM 75% of the time. 

I guess we have to play the waiting game. At least the TCM on Demand channel does not have this audio issue. Problem with that, though, is they only show about 6-10 movies on there, which is a fraction of what TCM shows all month long. 

Sigh. Why couldn't it have been C-Span that has this audio issue, and not TCM ! LOL

Thanks for the response. It's 'comforting' to know that I am not alone in this, but obviously, I'm not happy that this seems to be a bigger problem than I originally thought. 

I just called TWC and asked about the problem, and the phone tech told me that they certainly know about this issue and are hoping to have it resolved soon. 

Of course, this doesn't help much, since as long as this issue is around, I can't watch nor record anything off TCM ! And I, like most of the folks on here, use/watch TCM 75% of the time. 

I guess we have to play the waiting game. At least the TCM on Demand channel does not have this audio issue. Problem with that, though, is they only show about 6-10 movies on there, which is a fraction of what TCM shows all month long. 

Sigh. Why couldn't it have been C-Span that has this audio issue, and not TCM ! LOL

Well, you can always watch on your computer by using the TWCTV page. I can even use the TWC app on my Smart TV to watch TCM on my 40-inch screen, but I can't record that to DVD and I do a lot of recording. The Time Warner person told me that they are not responsible for whether my DVD recorder is compatible with the system, that they provide DVRs for that purpose.

I said that my DVD recorder is compatible, the problem is that it records the out-of-sync audio just as well as the DVR does.

Yes, if this happened with just about any other channel, chances are that I never would have noticed. Right now, the only movies I can watch on TCM are the silent ones. The web version's image isn't as good as the cable signal.

I'm surprised that you got someone to admit that the problem is at their end. I've been complaining about this for two years now, but previously it would only be a problem for a day or two. But Monday night had the TWC rep blaming everything but the company itself. It ended with me saying that I won't take action until I see if the big channel reassignments result in a fix. Presently I can access TCM on four different channels, as of tomorrow it will only appear on channel 82, where the SD TCM used to be.

This is funny - I just called the Time Warner Cable number to inquire about why movies on the HBO, Showtime and The Movie Channel "On Demand" channels were all window boxed.

For example, a scheduled airing of "Pacific Rim" fills my widescreen TV, but the HBO On Demand channel has black bars on all sides of the image.

But before I could speak to anyone, there was a recorded message saying that "if you're calling about audio problems with TCM, we are aware of it and are attempting to resolve the issue."

Finally - as I said earlier, I've made several calls in the past two weeks, all ending in frustration as I could not get the rep to consider that the problem was internal, not external.

:(  Haven't had a problem with the audio being out of synch, but for the past couple weeks or so, there are brief glitches were the audio skips, goes mute for a few seconds then returns. This should have been resolved by now. It hasn't been.

I've been without service for two days - I was half suspecting that Time Warner was getting even for a campaign I started with friends. I asked all of them to call if they noticed the same problem and most of them did notice once they tuned in.

I've only had my service restored in the last half-hour, both my cable and internet service was affected. From what I can see, TCM is in sync once again.

I'm in Manhattan --  have RCN, which seems pretty good, but neighbors with TW seem to be complaining fairly regularly. Although I like RCN, I occasionally flirt with FIOS, but it's crazy time when you call them for information. Also neighbors with FIOS seem to have several contraptions that need to be strewn about the apartment -- unlike RCN.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings