Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Destination Moon

NipkowDisc

I love that old George Pal chestnut but is that the best print they can find?  The color looks faded. I don't care how dated it is it deserves a better print to be shown.

I'm beginning to think that the print (probably 16mm) that was used to make TCM's digital copy is the only one left. I checked the DVD that I bought some years ago and it looks like the same one. I've seen other copies over the years, but none of them are any better than than this one. For years, and independent distributor owned the rights to DESTINATION MOON along with, among other films, another 1950's sci-fi classic INVADERS FROM MARS and neither have been restored or released in a better version which makes me think that there isn't any better original film elements out there.

I have fond memories of DESTINATION MOON. I was a small kid when it came out and seeing that in color just blew my mind. Sure, by today's standards is kind of primative, but back than it was spectacular.

I watched it, too, not having seen it since very young, AND on our old Philco black and white set.  Surprising they got, at least, SOME of the "science stuff" right, like zero gravity movement, and the scenes of walking on the moon seemed eerily simiar to the footage we saw when Armstrong was up there.

But along with the image, the SOUND was kinda flaky, too.  Reminded me of the sound quality of all those crusty old films they used to show in high school classes.  My wife was oddly disappointed that there wasn't any "Moon monsters" or any of that crap in it.  Anyway, it WAS an odd contrast to ALIEN, which we saw just before it.

I'm beginning to think that the print (probably 16mm) that was used to make TCM's digital copy is the only one left. I checked the DVD that I bought some years ago and it looks like the same one. I've seen other copies over the years, but none of them are any better than than this one. For years, and independent distributor owned the rights to DESTINATION MOON along with, among other films, another 1950's sci-fi classic INVADERS FROM MARS and neither have been restored or released in a better version which makes me think that there isn't any better original film elements out there.

I have fond memories of DESTINATION MOON. I was a small kid when it came out and seeing that in color just blew my mind. Sure, by today's standards is kind of primative, but back than it was spectacular.

Well, I'm certainly no expert on original film elements but I have DLed better files of DM with much more vibrant looking color quality. Also, may I say that DMs sound definitely needs restoration. I mean this was George Pal's groundbreaking film. Surely that rates something. I'll bet the ghosts of Robert Heinlein and Chesley Bonestell would think so.

Why, I don't know WHAT you guys are talkin' about here! Ya see, just a while back I purchased from the TCM store "The Dick Wesson Collection", aka, "The first guy to do the whole Jerry Lewis shtick before Jerry did it".

(...and MY copy of "Destination Moon" is SUPERB!!!!) ;)

Why, I don't know WHAT you guys are talkin' about here! Ya see, just a while back I purchased from the TCM store "The Dick Wesson Collection", aka, "The first guy to do the whole Jerry Lewis shtick before Jerry did it".

(...and MY copy of "Destination Moon" is SUPERB!!!!) ;)

Maybe you can loan it to TCM.  :D  

The film is owned by Wade Williams, who has a 35mm Technicolor print.  That is what was used for the DVD.  I assume the same transfer was shown on TCM.  Very good sci-fi procedural with a fine Leith Stevens score.  I produced the original soundtrack album a couple of years ago for David Schecter's Monstrous Movie Music.

1967-destinationmoon-cover-smaller.jpg

http://www.chelsearialtostudios.com/Music-DESTINATION-MainTitle.mp3

The film is owned by Wade Williams, who has a 35mm Technicolor print.  That is what was used for the DVD.  I assume the same transfer was shown on TCM.  Very good sci-fi procedural with a fine Leith Stevens score.  I produced the original soundtrack album a couple of years ago for David Schecter's Monstrous Movie Music.

1967-destinationmoon-cover-smaller.jpg

http://www.chelsearialtostudios.com/Music-DESTINATION-MainTitle.mp3

That's nice. A good score by Leith Stevens but a bit too somber-sounding for my tastes. Is there more screen area on the Wade Williams print or are we seeing all there is to see?

A word of warning:  If you tape a movie for future viewing be certain to tape the one succeeding as well.

I taped Destination Moon to watch the next morning.  All went well until the astronauts strapped themselves in for the return trip to Earth.  Next thing I knew I got that "Save, delete, replay" notice.  Was I mad!  Then when I went to watch Marooned I got the end of DM and saw I'd not missed much in the way of story.  That movie went down in one taping

DM was new to me but I liked it.  Marooned is one of my favorite films even though it's been pretty much forgotten by the real thing of a year later and Apollo 13 telling that story. This was a good week for me. 

A word of warning:  If you tape a movie for future viewing be certain to tape the one succeeding one as well.

I taped Destination Moon to watch the next morning.  All went well until the astronauts strapped themselves in for the return trip to Earth.  Next thing I knew I got that "Save, delete, replay" notice.  Was I mad!  Then when I went to watch Marooned I got the end of DM and saw I'd not missed much in the way of story.  That movie went down in one taping

DM was new to me but I liked it.  Marooned is one of my favorite films even though it's been pretty much forgotten by the real thing of a year later and Apollo 13 telling that story. This was a good week for me. 

I always set my vcr to tape far beyond the allotted time needed to make sure I get no unwelcome cut-offs.  :)

I always set my vcr to tape far beyond the allotted time needed to make sure I get no unwelcome cut-offs.  :)

Yes, this is better than recording the following program, especially if you wish to transfer to a DVD recorder without having the film in two chapters.

I always check the TCM and IMDb runtimes, and the listed slot time length on TCM. If the timeslot is too short, or close, I add 5, 10, 15, 30 minutes, whatever is necessary. If I also want to record the next film, I add the necessary time to the first film's program, when possible. Otherwise, I program them to record separately, which my two-tuner DVR can do.

My cable box has a built-in recorder which is what I use.  It is geared to the Company's on-screen guide's start and end times for the movie or program in question.  If there is a difference in that time and the actual time of what's being taped you risk losing a start or end.  What you are describing probably works with a separate VCR but not in this case.  Anyway, I appreciate the feedback; thank you. 

My cable box has a built-in recorder which is what I use.  It is geared to the Company's on-screen guide's start and end times for the movie or program in question.  If there is a difference in that time and the actual time of what's being taped you risk losing a start or end.  What you are describing probably works with a separate VCR but not in this case.  Anyway, I appreciate the feedback; thank you. 

When I bring up the program grid on my cable/DVR box, I have the choice of "record this show" and "record this show with options." Clicking on the latter gives me the possibility of starting a few minutes earlier or ending a few minutes later - how much extra is up to me. I've only had a DVR since February, so I did learn the hard way to use that feature once a friend with the same box explained it to me.

If you don't have such a feature on your box, you have my sympathies.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings