Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
docterminal

The Conformist audio problem?

Hi,

I was thrilled beyond belief to see that Bernardo Bertolucci's The Conformist would be shown on TCM. I've wanted to see this movie for over ten years and its never on TV. However, I noticed something unusual during the party scene. There was absolutely no sound. At first I thought maybe this was a stylistic choice by the director but during the scene there is clearly some conversation going on and I couldn't hear a word. The sound came back on as soon as the train scene began.

I have DISH and never noticed a long audio dropout like this before. Can anyone tell me if this scene is supposed to have sound? Was there a problem with the print or a technical issue? It's very frustrating as I've wanted to see this for ages. Many thanks for airing it.

I believe it was a stylistic choice. Got the same thing here. Only audio problem I heard was that it was dubbed and not subbed :. Hate dubs so I ended up doing something else while watching the movie not really getting it. I'll have to find it somewhere with the original Italian audio.

I found an explanation for the silent sequence. That scene was cut from the American release and only restored recently. There was never an English dub completed for it and should have been shown with subtitles. That's according to the cinematographer Vittorio Storaro.

It would be nice to hear the Italian version but you'll be hard pressed to find it anywhere until Paramount decides to release this on DVD.