Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

No Vietnam movies?

ElCid

I know there aren't many Vietnam movies, but it seems that every time TCM does a military themed event, it is almost exclusively World War II movies.  They did have a 100th anniversary of the start of WW I.  For example, this past Memorial Day.

How about a better mix of movies from each war?

I know there aren't many Vietnam movies, but it seems that every time TCM does a military themed event, it is almost exclusively World War II movies.  They did have a 100th anniversary of the start of WW I.  For example, this past Memorial Day.

Not too many out there except for John Wayne's The Green Berets and Sylvester Stallone's First Blood

I suspect that it isn't a deliberate slight against Vietnam War movies, but simply the fact that being relatively newer films there's more interest in them from other networks. So, as a result, TCM has to bid against them for the rights. As we've often seen before, the networks that show commercials every ten minutes and hack movies to pieces to fit in those commercials often have far deeper pockets than TCM. It's sad but true.

One often overlooked Vietnam movie is Go Tell the Spartans with Burt Lancaster.  It's about the early US involvement of "advisors."

Guess my point is the total domination of WW II movies, to the exclusion of all other wars.

• Like 1

Personally, I would love to see HANOI HILTON again. I saw it in the theater years ago when it first came out. Would TCM have the cajones to run a movie that is critical of a "Hanoi Jane" type character? It wasn't a "big" picture like PLATOON or DEER HUNTER, so it might be cheap to get.

Well, some might see it that way, but I doubt it was deliberate. if they can't get the flms, they can't get the films.

Who said they can't get the films? How do we know that to be a fact?  I would think they have access to a few more Vietnam-related titles than THE GREEN BERETS.  

I just don't think the Vietnam war is very much on their radar.  Plus, showing WWII era films or Korean War films might be seen as safer or less controversial than showing COMING HOME or PLATOON.

Or Born on the Fourth of July and Full Metal Jacket

Any film by Oliver Stone on the subject of Vietnam is going to be anti-war.  While we're discussing this, are there many pictures (besides GREEN BERETS) that glorify U.S. involvement in 'Nam...?

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings