Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Landmark Theater, NY

Kid Dabb

If you are around Bellingham, Wa. this summer, the Pickford Theater will be showing in July:

"The War of the Worlds"  1953

"The Lady from Shanghai"

"Shane"

"Laura"

August show are:

"The Man From Laramie"

"Earth vs. the Flying Saucers"

"Kiss Me Deadly"

September rounds out with :

"Rio Bravo"

"Forbidden Planet"

"Point Blank"

"Johnny Guitar"

Can't wait to see some or all of these greats on the big screen once more.....So if your are in the neighborhood.....

Are they showing them in 35mm? There's a huge former Loews theater, also now called The Landmark, in Syracuse NY doing a big classics series starting later this month, but everything is digital.

If those Bellingham films are 35mm consider yourself very lucky as most of the studios have stopped releasing film prints. Paramount stopped making all film prints near the end of last year so if WAR OF THE WORLDS, SHANE or any other Paramount title is running in 35mm it's probably an older print and when it wears out that's it.

There's a huge former Loews theater, also now called The Landmark, in Syracuse NY doing a big classics series starting later this month, but everything is digital.

We'll go to a few, just to see them on the big screen, but if 35mm we'd go to them all. At least they're showing movies in the theater instead of stand up comedians or off Broadway chestnuts. 

The Capitol Theater in Rome NY has shown several of those titles already so I know many are still available on film.

Are they showing them in 35mm? There's a huge former Loews theater, also now called The Landmark, in Syracuse NY doing a big classics series starting later this month, but everything is digital.

If those Bellingham films are 35mm consider yourself very lucky as most of the studios have stopped releasing film prints. Paramount stopped making all film prints near the end of last year so if WAR OF THE WORLDS, SHANE or any other Paramount title is running in 35mm it's probably an older print and when it wears out that's it.

The Bellingham  Theater  "Pickford" converted to digital last year. Like the man said "every time  you make an advancement you lose something in the process" But it'll still be nice to see these greats on a big screen once more. I remember seeing "Rio Bravo" when it opened at the Roxy Theater in Times Square in N.Y.C.. Also "Shane" at the Midway in Forest Hills Queens... The good old days......

I guess for me the thing about digital projection is how well it's done in any individual theater. I've seen really great digital screenings in area first-run theaters and also a dreadful showing of the of WIZARD OF OZ at a local second-run house. Of course, the same can be said for film, there were always theaters that had bigger screens and brighter and sharper pictures than others.

Having worked professionally with film, in one way or another, for most of my life I will always have a special respect for it. I have nothing but praise and support for venues like the Capitol Theater in Rome that try to continue to show movies, like they was meant to be shown, in 35mm. But like I pointed out, in the near future, all the studios will cease releasing film and when the last of the existing 35mm prints wear out that will be the end of it.

That warning hasn't fallen on deaf ears as classic theaters across the country scramble to add digital projection. Even the Capitol Theater, which pledges to continue to show 35mm as long as it's available, has obtained funding and is planning to install digital this summer.

Some die-hard film buffs simply refuse to see classics that are not shown on film, as is there choice. The way I see it is that, like it or not, digital is here to stay and someday, maybe sooner than we want to admit, will be the only way to see classic movies on big theater screens. So despite my love of 35mm, I'd rather have the chance to see them, in whatever format is used, than not see them at all.

This may be that theater. This was the old Loew's State Theater -

same address:  362 S. Salina St., Syracuse.

It's a shame they are touting the "Classical Films" aspect and showing digital.

This may be that theater. This was the old Loew's State Theater -

same address:  362 S. Salina St., Syracuse.

It's a shame they are touting the "Classical Films" aspect and showing digital.

That's the Landmark Theater I was talking about. I'm rather torn about this series. The theater is an almost 3000 seat, Thomas Lamb designed, showplace which has undergone millions in restoration, but for several years was managed by people who wanted nothing to do with film and were only interested in live shows. As a result, the projection equipment was left in disrepair and I'm not even sure it can be used again or for that matter is still there.

Today, there's new management which, at least occasionally, wants to remind folks of the theater's film heritage by showing classic movies. I wish they would show them in 35mm, but that just can't happen. So I want to support them, if for no other reason than they are at least showing movies, and since I understand that the theater is renting first-class digital projection equipment for the series I'll give it a try and hope for the best.