Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Face of Fire (1959)

darkblue

I'm actually dubbing off a DVD right now from my DVRed copy right this minute. I haven't seen it since a WOR airing in 1966. I regret that it's not a letterboxed copy, but I'll fool around later to try to determine if this is just an open matte print and see if zooming will approximate the original presentation by not chopping off heads.

So, did anyone set their recorders for an ultra-rare opportunity to get this small but quite special movie?

Hey, do birds eat worms?  I wouldn't have missed it for anything.

------------------------------------------

I did.  And I think it would make a perfect double-feature with the Joan Crawford picture A WOMAN'S FACE.

I see the connection, but a better pairing for that movie would be Dark Passage, since both of them  involve criminal coverup plots rather than public shunning.  Face of Fire is more of a variant of The Scarlet Letter, or other movies where the real shame is in the community's reaction to an event rather than anything that the protagonist has done.

So, did anyone set their recorders for an ultra-rare opportunity to get this small but quite special movie?

Hey, do birds eat worms?  I wouldn't have missed it for anything.

------------------------------------------

I did.  And I think it would make a perfect double-feature with the Joan Crawford picture A WOMAN'S FACE.

I see the connection, but a better pairing for that movie would be Dark Passage, since both of them  involve criminal coverup plots rather than public shunning.  Face of Fire is more of a variant of The Scarlet Letter, or other movies where the real shame is in the community's reaction to an event rather than anything that the protagonist has done.

FACE OF FIRE also reminded me of THE MIRACLE WORKER, in that both families have 'monsters' living with them that are prevented from being able to assimilate into society. The cinematography of both pictures also have similarities.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings