Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

It happened on this day

I remember when they were given out in April at the Pantages Theater.  Then it changed to March and now February.  I still find this odd.  The Golden Globes, Grammys and American Music Awards are also held much earlier that they formerly were.  We have been having the same problem with our presidential primaries here in Florida for the past dozen years or so.   

I guess people want to earn those prizes sooner. That's the only possible explanation...right?

I guess people want to earn those prizes sooner. That's the only possible explanation...right?

I assume it relates to using the Oscars for promotional purposes.   The earlier the awards are given the sooner the promotions can start with the associated hoped for increases in sales.

I assume it relates to using the Oscars for promotional purposes.   The earlier the awards are given the sooner the promotions can start with the associated hoped for increases in sales.

And there is the snowball effect.  This year's BAFTAs were moved up so as to be more distinct from the Oscars.

No one wants to follow the Oscars.  It's all over then.

Possibly. If the goal is to extend the original run in theatres. Not all Oscar contenders are released at the end of the previous year. Back during the awards season in 1992, SILENCE OF THE LAMBS had been released in February 1991, so it was almost a year old. I believe it had already come out on video when it earned the Oscar for best picture. It had been a runaway hit, so I suppose there wasn't anymore promotion needed.

march twenty-sixth

screen-shot-2015-03-26-at-1-31-51-pm.png

1951: Margaret Truman has signed a contract with NBC radio.

1957: Director Max Ophuls, age 54, has died in Hamburg, West Germany.

1958: Joanne Woodward and Alec Guinness are awarded best acting Oscars.

1959: Elizabeth Taylor, previously a Christian Scientist, has converted to Judaism at the Temple Israel in Hollywood.

1959: Raymond Chandler has died in La Jolla. He was 70.

Tomorrow: Arthur Miller’s latest …

march twenty-seventh

imgres55.jpg

1948: The film version of Arthur Miller’s ALL MY SONS premieres in New York.

1952: SINGIN’ IN THE RAIN premieres in New York.

1954: The Tony awards are handed out in New York. David Wayne and Audrey Hepburn take home top acting honors, and best plays are Kismet and Teahouse of the August Moon.

1957: In Hollywood, Oscars for best acting are awarded to Yul Brynner and Ingrid Bergman.

Tomorrow: more Tony awards…

march twenty-eighth

imgres56.jpg

1941: British writer Virginia Woolf drowns herself at home. She was 58.

1941: Cary Grant signs on to do the film version of THE MAN WHO CAME TO DINNER. Says he’ll give his entire salary to the British war relief.

1948: A ban in New York on literature that contains too much bloodshed or lust has been ruled unconstitutional by the Supreme Court.

1955: The Tony awards have been given out in New York. Best plays are The Desperate Hours and The Pajama Game. Both will be turned into major motion pictures.

Tomorrow: Jack Lemmon’s latest film…

1941: Cary Grant signs on to do the film version of THE MAN WHO CAME TO DINNER. Says he’ll give his entire salary to the British war relief.

Since Cary Grant didn't appear in The Man Who Came to Dinner, I assume that the British war relief made nothing from this particular movie. But I do believe they got his salaries for The Philadelphia Story and Mr. Lucky. So Mr. Grant wasn't just talking the talk, but also walking the walk.

Since Cary Grant didn't appear in The Man Who Came to Dinner, I assume that the British war relief made nothing from this particular movie. But I do believe they got his salaries for The Philadelphia Story and Mr. Lucky. So Mr. Grant wasn't just talking the talk, but also walking the walk.

Yes, and it would have been interesting to see him costarring with Bette Davis. Of course, he would work with Ann Sheridan later on, in I WAS A MALE WAR BRIDE. And he and Monty Woolley did NIGHT AND DAY together.

march twenty-ninth

220px-some_like_it_hot_poster.jpg

1949: PORTRAIT OF JENNIE premieres in New York.

1951: The King and I opens on Broadway to rave reviews. It stars Gertrude Lawrence and Yul Brynner.

1951: In Hollywood, Oscars for best acting are handed out to Jose Ferrer and Judy Holliday.

1952: Top songs—Cry; and Blue Tango.

1953: Tonys for best acting are awarded to Shirley Booth and Tom Ewell. The Crucible is named best play on Broadway.

1959: SOME LIKE IT HOT premieres in New York.

Tomorrow: drama for Lew Ayres…

march thirtieth

imgres59.jpg

1942: Lew Ayres, 33, leaves Hollywood for a Conscientious Objectors’ Camp after refusing to bear arms. All of his motion pictures are now banned in 100 Chicago theatres.

1943: The musical Oklahoma! opens on Broadway.

1950: Joe Yule Sr. (Mickey Rooney’s dad) has died in Hollywood. The vaudeville and movie performer was 61.

1955: Grace Kelly and Marlon Brando take home Oscars for best acting in Hollywood.

Tomorrow: Clifton Webb’s latest film…

march thirty-first

screen-shot-2015-03-31-at-7-28-23-am.png

1945: The Glass Menagerie opens on Broadway.

1948: A Streetcar Named Desire is lauded as the best play on Broadway by the New York Drama Critics.

1950: CHEAPER BY THE DOZEN premieres in New York.

1954: Leslie Caron has divorced pianist George Hormel in Los Angeles.

Tomorrow: a new month of happenings…

april first

screen-shot-2015-04-01-at-8-19-41-am.png

1952: Hungarian playwright Ferenc Molnar, age 74, has died in New York.

1954: Zsa Zsa Gabor is divorcing George Sanders today in Los Angeles.

1956: Tony awards are handed out in New York. Paul Muni and Julie Harris are named top performers, and the best play is The Diary of Anne Frank.

Tomorrow: trouble for Chaplin…

april second

screen-shot-2015-04-02-at-9-01-56-am.png

1944: Newspapers are covering a sensational trial in Los Angeles involving Charlie Chaplin and an underage girl. He has been charged with transporting a minor (Joan Berry) for the purposes of immoral activity.

1958: Trouble is brewing inside Lana Turner’s home between her boyfriend Johnny Stompanato and her daughter, Cheryl Crane.

Tomorrow: entertainer not allowed to get married…

april third

darkness_at_noon_handbill_-_nara_-_57299

1951: The New York Drama Critics have singled out Darkness at Noon as the season’s best play.

1959: Christine Jorgensen, the nightclub entertainer who underwent a sex change operation in 1952, is refused a marriage license in New York.

Tomorrow: drama for Lana Turner…

april fourth

memberofthewedding.jpg

1944: The trial involving minor Joan Berry has ended, and Charlie Chaplin has been acquitted.

1950: The New York Drama Critics have cited Member of the Wedding as the best play.

1953: Top tune—How Much Is That Doggie in the Window?

1958: Fourteen year old Cheryl Crane has stabbed and killed her mother Lana Turner’s lover, Johnny Stompanato. He was 32.

Tomorrow: Howard Hughes versus suspected communists…

april fifth

screen-shot-2015-04-05-at-9-00-30-am.png

1946: The Snake Pit, published by Random House, hits bookstores.

1947: The play Alice in Wonderland opens on Broadway and earns favorable reviews.

1952: Howard Hughes cancels 11 films, because the scripts were written by authors suspected of having communist sympathies.

1953: Bestseller—Desiree.

Tomorrow: an award for Susan Hayward…

april sixth

220px-brewsters_millions_filmposter.jpeg

1945: The movie BREWSTER’S MILLIONS has been banned in Memphis because of the way it depicts relations between blacks and whites. (Apparently, the servant character played by Eddie Rochester Anderson was treated too nicely.)

1953: J.D. Salinger’s Nine Stories has been published.

1959: Best acting Oscars are given to Susan Hayward and David Niven in Hollywood.

Tomorrow: wedding bells for Dorothy Lamour…

april seventh

imgres11.jpg

1943: Dorothy Lamour has married Captain William Howard in Beverly Hills.

1949: South Pacific, with Mary Martin and Ezio Pinza, opens on Broadway. It has advance ticket sales of $500,000.

1949: A CONNECTICUT YANKEE IN KING ARTHUR’S COURT premieres in New York.

1950: Walter Huston has died in Hollywood. He was 66.

1954: Top TV--  I Love Lucy and Dragnet.

1955: Silent film icon Theda Bara is dead in Los Angeles at 65.

Tomorrow: Errol Flynn is unlucky in love…

april eighth

220px-damita__flynn.jpg

1943: Lili Damita divorces Errol Flynn in Hollywood.

1945: The U.S. Senate is investigating major motion picture chains. Members think the big chains are forcing smaller chains out of business.

1952: I Am a Camera is hailed as the year’s best play by the New York Drama Critics.

1953: MAN IN THE DARK, Columbia’s first 3-D film, premieres in New York.

Tomorrow: the best television entertainer of the mid-1950s…

april ninth

200px-george_gobel_photo.jpg

1940: Stage and occasional film actress Mrs. Patrick Campbell has died. She was 75.

1955: George Gobel is named the best television entertainer by the University of Georgia.

1956: Eva Gabor has married a Beverly Hills surgeon in New York.

1959: Architect Frank Lloyd Wright has died in Phoenix. He was 89.

Tomorrow: Vincent Price’s latest film…

april tenth

screen-shot-2015-04-10-at-8-12-16-am.png

1945: The New York Drama Critics have cited The Glass Menagerie as the best play of the season.

1949: Bestseller—The Big Fisherman

1953: HOUSE OF WAX premieres in New York.

Tomorrow: Lana Turner’s daughter and the law…

april eleventh

images13.jpg

1945: Top song—Rum and Coca-Cola

1953: Charlie Chaplin says vicious propaganda by powerful reactionary groups is forcing him to take film production outside the U.S.

1958: It’s all over for Lana Turner’s daughter. A coroner’s jury rules that Cheryl Crane’s stabbing of her mother’s lover was justifiable homicide.

Tomorrow: remembering FDR…

april eleventh

images13.jpg

1945: Top song—Rum and Coca-Cola

1953: Charlie Chaplin says vicious propaganda by powerful reactionary groups is forcing him to take film production outside the U.S.

1958: It’s all over for Lana Turner’s daughter. A coroner’s jury rules that Cheryl Crane’s stabbing of her mother’s lover was justifiable homicide.

Tomorrow: remembering FDR…

Related to Lana and her daughter and the killing Get-TV showed Where Love has Gone with Bette Davis and Susan Hayward.   Not a good film but they used what happen with Lana as part of the story.   They also showed Strom Center.   So I saw two Bette Davis movies I had never seen,  but sadly Bette was about the only good thing about them. 

Related to Lana and her daughter and the killing Get-TV showed Where Love has Gone with Bette Davis and Susan Hayward.   Not a good film but they used what happen with Lana as part of the story.   They also showed Strom Center.   So I saw two Bette Davis movies I had never seen,  but sadly Bette was about the only good thing about them. 

Both those films turn up on TCM. But I believe the last time TCM aired WHERE LOVE HAS GONE, it was a pan and scan version. I read that Hayward and Davis did not get along on the set. Davis kept trying to expand her role and take over the production but since Hayward was the star and had casting approval, threats to fire Davis managed to keep Davis in line. Davis was going through a relative dry spell (compared to her glory days at WB) and definitely couldn't afford to get fired and watch her movie career completely dry up, so she started to mind her manners.

I also think there was a threat of litigation from Lana Turner's people, and certain references to the killing had to be altered. The producers were dumb enough to think Lana would be interested in playing the part that went to Hayward. I am sure reliving all of that on screen was the last thing Lana ever intended to do.