Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TopBilled

It happened on this day

Dargo, I believe that I was being potty trained around the time of George's unfortunate demise.  My Superman viewing was exclusively through the rerun process. Just like Broderick Crawford's HIGHWAY PATROL . :)

broderickCrawford.jpg

"Okay. Gotcha Roberts. You're a few years younger than I am, too. 10-4, over and out!"

;)

june sixteenth

2sup.jpg

1941: NBC applies for a license with the FCC to establish television stations on the east coast.

1943: Charlie Chaplin, 54, marries Oona O’Neill who is 18. She is the niece of playwright Eugene O'Neill, and this will be the comedian's fourth and final marriage.  He has two children with an earlier wife, and has been accused of fathering the unborn child of actress Joan Berry. When Joan Berry learns about this sudden wedding, she is very upset. ‘He can’t do this to us,’ she cries.

1952: On Broadway, 'The Shrike' is named best play and 'Pal Joey' is named best musical. Both will be turned into motion pictures before the end of the decade. Meanwhile, Jose Ferrer and Julie Harris claim top acting honors.

1959: George Reeves commits suicide in Hollywood at age 45. He is upset with being typecast.

1960: PSYCHO premieres in New York.

1967: 50,000 people attend the Monterey International Pop Festival.

Tomorrow: Liberace is accused of being gay; and O.J. Simpson hits the road…

1967: 50,000 people attend the Monterey International Pop Festival.

Perhaps the best event of the 60s.

• Like 1

june seventeenth

2lib.jpg

1943: Singer-songwriter Barry Manilow is born on this day in Brooklyn.

1944: ‘Arsenic and Old Lace’ closes after 1,444 performances on Broadway. ‘Tomorrow the World’ closes after 499 performances. Both will be adapted for the big screen.

1951: NATIVE SON premieres in New York.

1953: Martha Raye has called it quits. The popular entertainer has divorced her fourth husband in Miami.

1955: Producer-songwriter John Golden dies at 80 in New York.

1959: Liberace wins $22,400 in a libel suit against the London Daily Mirror for an article that implied he was a homosexual.

1967: Barbra Streisand performs A Happening in Central Park.

1978: Olivia Newton-John and John Travolta have the number one pop hit with ‘You’re the One That I Want.’ It is featured in the movie GREASE.

1988: Bruce Springsteen and wife Julianne Phillips separate.

1988: Mike Tyson is accused of beating wife Robin Givens. Guess he prefers a human punching bag?

1991: Country legend Minnie Pearl suffers a stroke.

1994: O.J. Simpson tries to commit suicide and has wound up in a low-speed highway chase. While the nation watches on television, he is eventually caught and arrested for the murders of Nicole Brown Simpson and Ron Goldman.

Tomorrow: Twins for an exiled movie star; and a beloved star of stage and screen dies…

june eighteenth

2ing.jpg

1952: Ingrid Bergman, exiled Hollywood movie star, who has taken up residence in Rome with her new director husband Roberto Rossellini, has given birth to twins.  Girls.

1952: Also on this day, PAT AND MIKE premieres in New York.

1953: DEMETRIUS AND THE GLADIATORS, sequel to 20th Century Fox’s smash hit THE ROBE, premieres in New York.

1958: Governor Long has been committed to a state mental hospital. The Louisiana politician, likely the basis for Broderick Crawford’s Oscar role in ALL THE KING’S MEN, is not down for the count. He has the hospital’s director fired and replaced with a friend who proclaims him perfectly sane.

1959: Brigitte Bardot marries French actor Jacques Charrier. It is the second marriage for the actress, and the union will produce one child.  Less than three years later Bardot will file for divorce, before going on to have two more husbands.

1959: Also on this day, there is news about Ethel Barrymore. The beloved stage legend and star of hit movies has died in Beverly Hills. She was 79. Her last film was JOHNNY TROUBLE, released two years earlier.

1968: The Supreme Court bans racial discrimination involving sales and rentals in housing. Two years later, United Artists releases THE LANDLORD, a film about a young white man played by Beau Bridges, who oversees a brownstone occupied by black tenants.

1981: The AIDS epidemic is formally recognized by medical professionals in San Francisco. The 1985 NBC telefilm, An Early Frost, will focus on the subject.

1983: Sally Ride is the first U.S. woman in orbit. She follows in the footsteps of RELUCTANT ASTRONAUT Don Knotts who left Mayberry years ago for outer space.

Tomorrow: one of the Beatles confesses; Mia Farrow’s kids are arrested…

june nineteenth

2gar.jpg

1940: Brenda Starr first appears in a Chicago newspaper. In 1989, Brooke Shields will play the comic strip character in a major motion picture.

1952: Shh!, don't tell, but I’ve Got a Secret debuts on CBS, with host Gary Moore.

1954: Actress Kathleen Turner, known for her roles in BODY HEAT and ROMANCING THE STONE, is born in Springfield, Missouri.

1962: Pop artist and future American Idol judge Paula Abdul is born in San Fernando, California.

1967: Paul McCartney admits he took LSD. Surprised?

1968: The number one song is Jumpin’ Jack Flash by the Rolling Stones.

1978: The comic strip Garfield debuts.

1987: Geffen Records signs Donna Summer to be its first artist.

1991: Mia Farrow’s daughters have been arrested for shoplifting. The two young ladies were trying to leave a department store with stolen lingerie. Wonder who put them up to it?

Tomorrow: An MGM superstar tries to kill herself…an actress adopts her own biological child...

june twentieth

2lorre.png

1948: Ed Sullivan’s Toast of the Town premieres on CBS-TV.

1950: Joe DiMaggio gets his 2000th hit.  He will hit it out of the park in 1954 when he weds Marilyn Monroe.

1950: Judy Garland attempts suicide in Hollywood after being dropped by MGM. She is only 28, and her marriage to director Vincente Minnelli is also at an end.

1953: Peter Lorre’s wife, actress Kaaren Verne, divorces him after a three-year separation. The couple had been wed back in 1945. Almost immediately, Lorre remarries and so does Verne. But what people do not know is that Verne and her new husband have adopted a girl that is really Verne’s biological child by Lorre, born after their divorce.

1967: Muhammad Ali is convicted after refusing to go into the armed services.

1967: Also on this day, actress Nicole Kidman is born in Honolulu. Her Australian parents were living in the U.S. at the time of her birth.

1987: Johnny Carson marries his fourth (and final) wife, Alex Mass.

Tomorrow: Between films and between husbands, a musical star decides to say ‘I do’ again…

june twenty-first

2summ.jpg

1944: Top songs: ‘I’ll Be Seeing You;’ ‘Long Ago and Far Away;’ and ‘I’ll Get By.’ Some were used as titles of popular movies.

1945: Producers and SAG members agree to increase salaries: $35 for day workers; $115 weekly for freelancers; and $60 weekly for stock contracts.

1948: Churchill’s ‘The Gathering Storm’ is published.

1953: Gloria de Haven marries a realtor in Pennsylvania.

1955: SUMMERTIME premieres in New York.

1956: The National Telefilm Association plans to launch a fourth TV network.

Tomorrow: A handsome leading man is now a widow…

june eighteenth

1952: Ingrid Bergman, exiled Hollywood movie star, who has taken up residence in Rome with her new director husband Roberto Rossellini, has given birth to twins.  Girls.

1952: Also on this day, PAT AND MIKE premieres in New York.

1953: DEMETRIUS AND THE GLADIATORS, sequel to 20th Century Fox’s smash hit THE ROBE, premieres in New York.

1958: Governor Long has been committed to a state mental hospital. The Louisiana politician, likely the basis for Broderick Crawford’s Oscar role in ALL THE KING’S MEN, is not down for the count. He has the hospital’s director fired and replaced with a friend who proclaims him perfectly sane.

1959: Brigitte Bardot marries French actor Jacques Charrier. It is the second marriage for the actress, and the union will produce one child.  Less than three years later Bardot will file for divorce, before going on to have two more husbands.

1959: Also on this day, there is news about Ethel Barrymore. The beloved stage legend and star of hit movies has died in Beverly Hills. She was 79. Her last film was JOHNNY TROUBLE, released two years earlier.

1968: The Supreme Court bans racial discrimination involving sales and rentals in housing. Two years later, United Artists releases THE LANDLORD, a film about a young white man played by Beau Bridges, who oversees a brownstone occupied by black tenants.

1981: The AIDS epidemic is formally recognized by medical professionals in San Francisco. The 1985 NBC telefilm, An Early Frost, will focus on the subject.

1983: Sally Ride is the first U.S. woman in orbit. She follows in the footsteps of RELUCTANT ASTRONAUT Don Knotts who left Mayberry years ago for outer space.

Tomorrow: one of the Beatles confesses; Mia Farrow’s kids are arrested…

Huey Long was the basis for the book and the film "All the Kings Men" with Brodrick Crawford. He was assassinated in 1935. You are talking about Earl Long, Huey's younger brother. He was played by Paul Newman in the film "Blaze" about his affair with stripper Blaze Starr.. Earl died in 1960...

Huey Long was the basis for the book and the film "All the Kings Men" with Brodrick Crawford. He was assassinated in 1935. You are talking about Earl Long, Huey's younger brother. He was played by Paul Newman in the film "Blaze" about his affair with stripper Blaze Starr.. Earl died in 1960...

Thanks for the clarification...it is much appreciated!  Even Hedda had her gaffes.

:)

Also, this day, 50 years ago, 3 civil rights workers disappeared outside of Philadelphia Mississippi.   Their bodies wouldn't be discovered until informants learned the burial location 44 days later.   The incident inspired Attack on Terror, Mississippi Burning, and Murder in Mississippi about it, and several documentaries.   

• Like 1

june twenty-second

2hope.jpg

1946: Bop Hope buys into the Cleveland Indians baseball team. Batter up!

1951: The FCC urges TV stations to reduce nudity, crimes and ads.

1952: Bing Crosby & Bob Hope raise more than one million dollars for the U.S. Olympic fund during a 14 hour telethon.

1953: Sorrow in Tinseltown on this day. Fred MacMurray’s first wife Lillian dies at age 45 in Santa Monica.

1954: Don Hollenbeck, CBS commentator, commits suicide at age 49 in New York.

Tomorrow: A well-known British star marries a dying woman…

june twenty-second

1951: The FCC urges TV stations to reduce nudity, crimes and ads.

There was nudity on American TV in 1951???

Apparently there was...it wouldn't surprise me. I bet the early days of TV (late forties/early fifties) was a bit like the precode era of Hollywood moviemaking. Standards and certain practices were not yet being enforced.  Though maybe their idea of nudity in 1951 was a woman wearing a dress that showed some bare back, or a swimsuit that showed off a person's navel.

Accidental nudity could have happend in those early days of live tv shows,,,

That's a very good point, joe.  I bet that is what happened!  Chances are it wasn't deliberate nudity...

Yes, Kate Smith had a wardrobe malfunction, ironically while singing "When the Moon Comes Over the Mountain."

Yes, Kate Smith had a wardrobe malfunction, ironically while singing "When the Moon Comes Over the Mountain."

LOL

Yes, but never having seen the old kinescope of this myself, am I correct in assuming this happened after Kate had bent over and turned her back to the TV camera??? 

LOL

Yes, but never having seen the old kinescope of this myself, am I correct in assuming this happened when Kate bent over, Rich??? 

I don't recall. The whole event was so traumatic, I've blocked it from my memory.

There have to be more incidents.  I don't think the FCC would make a statement if it was one isolated 'accident.' There probably were more provocative scenes being broadcast, that were not accidental at all.

I don't recall. The whole event was so traumatic, I've blocked it from my memory.

Sooooo, turned you off to the whole "Rubenesque" thing for the rest of your life, eh Rich?! ;)

Sooooo, turned you off to the whole "Rubenesque" thing for the rest of your life, eh Rich?! ;)

Hell, I won't even eat a Reuben sandwich.

There have to be more incidents.  I don't think the FCC would make a statement if it was one isolated 'accident.' There probably were more provocative scenes being broadcast, that were not accidental at all.

Eva Maria Saint said in her latest TCM interview that her top fell off on live TV.   

Hmmmm...ya know TB, now that I recall, I DO think I once heard that Dagmar once purposely showed more than she maybe should have on the boob tube back around '51 or so...and THAT kinescope I'd LOVE to see!!!

(...btw, hmmmm, "the boob tube"...saaaay, come to THINK of it, do ya think Dagmar might have been responsible for TV bein' nicknamed that in the FIRST place???) 

june twenty-third

2hart.png

1945: Kiss and Tell closes on Broadway after 962 performances.

1946: Cowboy idol of silent pictures, William Hart, is dead at 75 in Los Angeles.

1948: Evelyn Waugh’s ‘The Loved One’ is published. It will be made into a motion picture twenty years later.

1949: The first ever Writers Guild Awards are held in Hollywood. Honorees include Mary Jane Ward for her screenplay for THE SNAKE PIT; and Sidney Sheldon for his adaptation of the musical EASTER PARADE.

1954: To the moon, or rather to divorce court, pow right in the kisser: Jackie Gleason’s wife has divorced him in New York.

1955: We would never eat spaghetti and meatballs the same way again. THE LADY AND THE TRAMP premieres on this day.

1957: Rex Harrison and Kay Kendall marry in New York. Miss Kendall does not know she is dying of leukemia.  But her doctor has told Harrison, who plans to make her last days as happy as possible. Sounds a lot like DARK VICTORY, doesn’t it?

Tomorrow: Just the facts, the wedding facts…pop star caught with dope…