Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TopBilled

It happened on this day

june twenty-fourth

2webb.jpg

1949: First dozen women graduate from Harvard Medical School. Greer Garson played a pioneering lady physician in STRANGE LADY IN TOWN.

1958: Jack Webb marries Jackie Loughery in Van Nuys. The new Mrs. Webb was directed by her husband in the 1957 motion picture THE D.I.

1966: The Beatles’ song Paperback Writer is number one.

1970: Will he do the twist in the slammer? Chubby Checker has been arrested for marijuana possession.

1972: President Nixon signs an act barring sex discrimination in college sports. Years earlier, Joan Davis was a star kicker of the football team in 20th Century Fox’s HOLD THAT CO-ED.

1975: Alice Cooper falls off stage in Vancouver and breaks six ribs.

1989: BATMAN premieres.

1990: Fans hold a rally at the Statue of Liberty to protest Fox’s cancellation of the TV series Alien Nation.

1990: Also on this day the country Moldavia declares independence.  This is five years after the Moldavian massacre on ABC’s Dynasty.

1991: Tony Randall and Jack Klugman reprise the roles that made them household names, in a Broadway production of The Odd Couple.

Tomorrow: a great one passes away…

june twenty-third

1957: Rex Harrison and Kay Kendall marry in New York. Miss Kendall does not know she is dying of leukemia.  But her doctor has told Harrison, who plans to make her last days as happy as possible. Sounds a lot like DARK VICTORY, doesn’t it?

That would make a good movie too..  who would you see as the stars? 

Not sure. Maybe Hugh Grant and Liz Hurley would be too old...but someone like that, British and classy.

• Like 1

:) What a great idea!  I'm really enjoying this thread.  I find I'm remembering much of what's being noted as well as learning new tidbits about films and stars.  Thanks a lot and keep it coming! 

• Like 1

I was going to say someone like Kenneth Branuagh (sp?) and Minnie Driver? But they may also be too old.

• Like 1

june twenty-fifth

1ar.jpg

1949: Hopalong Cassidy debuts on NBC TV. It is the new medium’s first continuing western series. William Boyd stars in the role he played so well on movie screens.

1951: Arthur Godfrey, Faye Emerson and Ed Sullivan participate in the first color broadcast on CBS in New York.

1954: Wedding bells in Vegas. Fernando Lamas has married Arlene Dahl.

1959: Barry Sullivan has been divorced by his Swedish actress wife in Santa Monica.

1985: Ron Howard’s new motion picture COCOON is the number one film in the U.S., beating out Sylvester Stallone’s RAMBO: FIRST BLOOD PART 2.

1987: Jackie Gleason is dead at age 71 in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida after a battle with cancer. His last film, NOTHING IN COMMON, hit screens a year earlier.

2004: In New York, capital punishment is declared unconstitutional. Back in 1958, Susan Hayward received an Oscar for her performance as a woman on death row in I WANT TO LIVE!

Tomorrow: A Stack of news, especially for fans of Wanda Hendrix...

:) What a great idea!  I'm really enjoying this thread.  I find I'm remembering much of what's being noted as well as learning new tidbits about films and stars.  Thanks a lot and keep it coming! 

Glad you are enjoying it. 

My goal is for this thread to run exactly a full year-- and with the exception of Feb 29th since there is no leap year in 2015, we should be able to cover each day on the calendar.

Later, after we have done them all, I may go back and condense certain sections-- to serialize them-- like I think it would be fun to combine all the items about Chaplin's paternity suit; all the ones about the Beatles; all the ones about President Reagan; all the ones about O.J. Simpson; and all the ones about Liz Taylor and Richard Burton-- you know, celebrities who were often in the news that people still find interesting.

That is where I am headed with this.  Thanks for reading and joining me each day on this journey!

• Like 1

I was going to say someone like Kenneth Branuagh (sp?) and Minnie Driver? But they may also be too old.

Oh, you may be on to something there. although has Minnie ever carried off a classy Englishwoman role?  Not to say she couldn't.. 

june twenty-sixth

1b.jpg

1954: After a troubled first marriage to Audie Murphy, Wanda Hendrix has remarried in Hollywood. The lucky bridegroom is Robert Stack’s brother.

1964: The Beatles release their album ‘A Hard Day’s Night.’ In just over a week, the London premiere of their film A HARD DAY’S NIGHT will occur.

1974: Liz Taylor has been divorced from Richard Burton. Ironically, the duo’s last film together was 1973’s DIVORCE HIS – DIVORCE HERS.

1982: Marie Osmond marries basketball player Steve Craig. The couple would be wed for three years and have one son. Years later, after Marie’s divorce from her second husband (with whom she had seven kids), she and Steve Craig would remarry in 2011. Marie wore the same dress again for the second wedding ceremony.

1989: Speaking of second marriages, Melanie Griffith and Don Johnson marry each other again on this day.

Tomorrow: Legendary Tarzan swings no more…

june twenty-sixth

1954: After a troubled first marriage to Audie Murphy, Wanda Hendrix has remarried in Hollywood. The lucky bridegroom is Robert Stack’s brother.

1964: The Beatles release their album ‘A Hard Day’s Night.’ In just over a week, the London premiere of their film A HARD DAY’S NIGHT will occur.

1974: Liz Taylor has been divorced from Richard Burton again. Ironically, the duo’s last film together was 1973’s DIVORCE HIS – DIVORCE HERS.

1982: Marie Osmond marries basketball player Steve Craig. The couple would be wed for three years and have one son. Years later, after Marie’s divorce from her second husband (with whom she had seven kids), she and Steve Craig would remarry in 2011. Marie wore the same dress again for the second wedding ceremony.

1989: Speaking of second marriages, Melanie Griffith and Don Johnson marry each other again on this day.

Tomorrow: Legendary Tarzan swings no more…

TB,

If I remember correctly what I read on biographies of Liz and Dick, they had their FIRST divorce on 1974, remarried in 1975, and divorced a second time in 1976.

You left out a couple happenings of the last two days (because ppl went way off topic)

June 24:

2005: Ventriloquist and cartoon voice actor Paul Winchell dies at age 82. Winchell, known for his dummies Jerry Mahoney and Knucklehead Smiff, also voiced characters for Hanna Barbera, and Disney, most notably Tigger from Winnie the Pooh.

June 25:

2009: Actress Farrah Fawcett and singer Michael Jackson die. Fawcett was 62; Jackson 50.

TB,

If I remember correctly what I read on biographies of Liz and Dick, they had their FIRST divorce on 1974, remarried in 1975, and divorced a second time in 1976.

That's right. Arturo, thank you. I will go back and correct the earlier post.

June 25:

2009: Actress Farrah Fawcett and singer Michael Jackson die. Fawcett was 62; Jackson 50.

Thanks. I had forgotten that Fawcett and Jackson's deaths were so close together. Hers, after a long battle with cancer, was not unexpected.  His was another story altogether.

You left out a couple happenings of the last two days (because ppl went way off topic)

June 24:

2005: Ventriloquist and cartoon voice actor Paul Winchell dies at age 82. Winchell, known for his dummies Jerry Mahoney and Knucklehead Smiff, also voiced characters for Hanna Barbera, and Disney, most notably Tigger from Winnie the Pooh.

June 25:

Well, I HOPE I'm not goin' "way off topic here", but regarding Paul Winchell...I just want to say what a shame it is that the producers of his "Winchell-Mahoney Time" children's TV program of the 1960s would end up destroying most the tapes of that show and thus denying many of us Boomers the pleasure of watching in later years this very talented man do his act.

Peter Lorre would be 110 years old today.  TCM is having one of their "unpublicized" tributes today.   What, NO DR EINSTEIN ? (ARSENIC AND OLD LACE)   :rolleyes:  

I write these a month ahead, and I was looking at all the juicy stuff coming up in July!  

If you have enjoyed the June happenings, wait until July-- there is a major fire; two well-known film stars ditching their respective spouses and hooking up down in Mexico; more trouble for Charlie Chaplin; a remarkable accomplishment by a famous 94 year old; and lots of important film premieres.

You're going to love it!

• Like 1

june twenty-seventh

1ds.jpg

1944: Agatha Christie’s play ‘Ten Little Indians’ opens on Broadway. A year later, Rene Clair will direct the first screen adaptation, called AND THEN THERE WERE NONE.

1950: The U.S. sends troops to fight in the Korean War. Sam Fuller’s THE STEEL HELMET is one of the first films to depict it.

1952: Elmo Lincoln, first screen Tarzan, dies at age 63 in Hollywood. Not sure if the funeral’s near Hollywood & Vine.

1957: He gave the teacher a ring instead of an apple. Lee J. Cobb has married a schoolteacher in Los Angeles.

1966: The horror soap opera Dark Shadows premieres on ABC-TV.

1975: Tobias Vincent Maguire (aka Tobey Maguire) is born today in Santa Monica, California.

1985: Route 66 is no longer an official U.S. highway. Don’t tell Marty Milner or George Maharis.

1988: Let’s see you get the job done in a minute and a half. Mike Tyson knocks Michael Spink out in 91 seconds in Atlantic City.

Tomorrow: An actress has left the convent and headed to the altar…

june twenty-eighth

1fred.jpg

1948: Oscar winning actress Kathy Bates is born on this day in Memphis.

1949: William Griffin, editor-publisher of the New York Enquirer, has died at 51.  He was indicted on charges of attempting to undermine the morale of the U.S. armed forces.

1951: Amos and Andy premieres on CBS.

1954: June Haver is no longer planning to be a nun.  Instead, the former 20th Century Fox musical star and Fred MacMurray have married in Ojai. It has been just a year since Fred’s first wife Lillian died.

1966: In Evanston, Illinois the stork arrives with John Cusack.

1971: The Supreme Court overturns a conviction of Muhammad Ali for evading the draft.

1997: Bizarre but true: Mike Tyson has been disqualified for biting a piece of Evander Holyfield’s ear.

Tomorrow: A third and final marriage for Monroe…

That Rex Harrison-Kay Kendall story might not be as sweet as it sounds.  As I've read it Harrison was married to Lilli Palmer when the affair with Kendall began.  When he learned Kendall was fatally ill he went to Lilli and supposedly asked for a divorce so he could marry Kendall but also wanted her to take him back after Kendall's death.  (If the story about his wanting to "make Kay's last days happy" is true I suspect it was because of lingering guilt over his affair with Carole Landis which led to her suicide or fear of equally negative publicity.)  Lilli supposedly agreed but in the interim met another man she would later marry and told Harrison to forget a reconciliation. 

I've never understood Harrison's "sexy Rexy" appeal as I found him quite the opposite.  Is it true nobody came to his funeral?  I've only heard of one other person that happened to, Walter Winchell, who was mourned only by his daughter.     

That Rex Harrison-Kay Kendall story might not be as sweet as it sounds.  As I've read it Harrison  was married to Lilli Palmer when the affair with Kendall began.  When he learned Kendall was fatally ill he went to Lilli and supposedly asked for a divorce so he could marry Kendall but also wanted her to take him back after Kendall's death.  ( If the story about his wanting to "make Kay's last days happy" is true I suspect it was because of lingering guilt over his affair with Carole Landis which led to her suicide of fear of equally negative publicity.)  Lilli supposedly agreed but in the interim met another man she would later marry and told Harrison to forget a reconciliation. 

I've never understood Harrison's "sexy Rexy" appeal as I found him quite the opposite.  Is it true nobody came to his funeral?  I've only heard of one other person that happened to, Walter Winchell, who was mourned only by his daughter.     

Ironic, while the story isn't as sweet as it first appears, it is more interesting a story with the twists mentioned,  

Now I wonder what happened this day?

Ironic, while the story isn't as sweet as it first appears, it is more interesting a story with the twists mentioned,  

Now I wonder what happened this day?

So glad you asked! The next post will occur in just a moment...

june twenty-ninth

1mm.png

1944: Anna and the King of Siam is published. In 1946, it will be made into a 20th Century Fox motion picture starring Irene Dunne & Rex Harrison.

1946: I Remember Mama closes after 713 performances. The hit Broadway play will be turned into a hit motion picture by RKO in two years.

1948: 354,000 TV sets are in use in the United States.

1953: Keenan Wynn has been divorced by his wife in Los Angeles.

1956: Arthur Miller and Marilyn Monroe have been married in White Plains, New York.

1956: Also on this day, The King and I premieres in New York.

1959: The U.S. Supreme Court overturns the New York state ban on the exhibition of the film LADY CHATTERLEY’S LOVER.

Tomorrow: Chevalier is golden…

june thirtieth

1ralp.jpg

1947: SILENCE EST D’OR, starring Maurice Chevalier, has been chosen as the world’s best film.

1949: LOST BOUNDARIES premieres in New York.

1950: Leonard Whiting is born in London.  Eighteen years later, he would become the screen’s Romeo.

1952: The daytime serial The Guiding Light moves from radio to television, where it would broadcast continuously until September 2009.

1954: Betty Hutton is about to be divorced from her dancer-director husband.

1966: The Beatles arrive in Tokyo to kick off a concert tour.

1975: Four days after divorcing Sonny Bono, Cher marries Gregg Allman.

1988: Ralph drove here. Brooklyn dedicates a bus depot honoring the late Jackie Gleason.

Tomorrow: a new month of happenings…

july first

imgres36.jpg

1944: Carl Mayer, writer-producer known for SUNRISE and DR. CALIGARI, dies in London.

1944: Also on this day, Othello closes after 296 performances—making it the longest run of a Shakespearean play on Broadway.

1945: Oklahoma becomes the longest-running musical on Broadway with 1405 performances and counting.

1950: Top tune- The Third Man theme.

1952: Dan Aykroyd is born in Ottawa.

1953: STALAG 17 premieres in New York.

1954: Betty Hutton has been granted a divorce in Santa Monica, California.

1956: Elvis makes an early appearance on The Steve Allen Show.

1963: Zip codes are introduced, 27 years before Beverly Hills 90210 debuts on Fox TV.

1969: John and Yoko have been hospitalized after a car crash.

1972: Hold on to your rainbow: the first Gay Pride march occurs in England.

1974: You Oughta Know that Alanis Morisette was born on this day in Ottawa.

1984: The PG-13 rating is introduced by the MPAA.

1989: Hugh Hefner has married Kimberly Conrad.

1991: Michael Landon has died in Malibu. The 54 year old actor-writer-producer had pancreatic and liver cancer.

Tomorrow: Boxer’s wife refuses to be a punching bag…bandleader involved in marijuana case…