Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TopBilled

It happened on this day

1944: Ernő Rubik and I were born, in Budapest and New York respectively. He invented the Rubik's cube, and I'm still trying to solve it. ;)

• Like 1

1944: Ernő Rubik and I were born, in Budapest and New York respectively. He invented the Rubik's cube, and I'm still trying to solve it. ;)

Funny!  Happy b-day to both of you!... :)

july fourteenth

1fire.png

1943: FOR WHOM THE BELL TOLLS premieres in New York.

1943: Popular songs are: You’ll Never Know; and Don’t Get Around Much Anymore.

1944: The Hartford Superior Court is allowing Ringling Brothers to leave the area after depositing $1 million in cash and insurance policies to cover damages and legal action brought by relatives of victims in the recent fire.

1948: THE STREET WITH NO NAME premieres.

1955: MISTER ROBERTS premieres in new York.

1970: The great Preston Foster is dead at 69. The actor-composer-songwriter-guitarist-and-author passed away in La Jolla just a few weeks shy of his seventieth birthday.

1973: Phil Everly of the Everly Brothers, has stormed off stage and declared an end to the popular duo’s musical career.

Tomorrow: Marilyn’s new movie…

july fifteenth

1linda.jpg

1946: Singer Linda Ronstadt is born in Tucson.

1953: Marilyn Monroe’s latest film, GENTLEMEN PREFER BLONDES, premieres in New York.

1954: Arthur Godfrey has the top television show.

1958: John Lennon’s mother has been killed in an auto accident.

1968: The long-running daytime serial One Life to Live debuts on ABC-TV where it would be broadcast until 2012.

1973: Brian Austin Greene, of Beverly Hills 90210 fame, is born on this day in Van Nuys.

1983: Eddie Foy Jr. is dead of cancer at age 78 in Woodland Hills.

Tomorrow: Major shake-up at MGM…sports event turns deadly…

july sixteenth

1mfox.png

1948: KEY LARGO premieres in New York.

1950: Huge world soccer upset: Uruguay beats Brazil in Rio. Eight fans die from heart attacks due to the excitement.

1951: Salinger’s The Catcher in the Rye has been published.

1951: Shake-up at MGM—Dore Schary replaces L.B. Mayer as head of studio operations.

1956: LA STRADA premieres in New York.

1976: The rock duo Loggins and Messina are breaking up.

1981: Folk rock singer Harry Chapin, who recorded Cat’s in the Cradle, has died in New York at 38. Cause of death: car accident on the way to perform at a free concert.

1988: Michael J. Fox has married Tracy Pollan, whom he met while filming an episode of the sitcom Family Ties.

1999: John F. Kennedy Jr. has died off the coast of Martha’s Vineyard in an aircraft he was piloting. On board with him: his wife and sister-in-law, also killed.

Tomorrow: Disneyland’s opening…

july seventeenth

1bh.jpg

1946: Busby Berkeley has been arrested after a failed suicide attempt.

1951: Lucie Arnaz is born on this day in Hollywood.

1953: Bela Lugosi’s wife has divorced him in Los Angeles.

1955: The grand opening for Disneyland occurs in Anaheim. The event is televised.

1959: Legendary blues singer Billie Holliday has died of liver failure in New York at 44.

1968: The Beatles’ YELLOW SUBMARINE animated film premieres in London.

1974: John Lennon has been ordered to leave the U.S. within 60 days.

1980: Ronald Reagan accepts the Republican nomination for president.

1982: Irene Cara’s song ‘Fame’ is number one.

1997: Woolworth’s department store has closed. It was in business for 117 years.

Tomorrow: Separation for Liz…

july eighteenth

1car.png

1948: The Naked and the Dead tops the bestseller list. RKO will make a film version of the novel a decade later.

1955: Howard Hughes sells RKO and its 500 films to General Tire and Rubber Company for $25 million.

1955: The Man in the Gray Flannel Suit is published.

1956: Liz Taylor and Michael Wilding have announced their legal separation. The couple has two sons, ages three and one.

1969: Senator Ted Kennedy has decided to leave a party early with a political aide. As they drive along an unlit bridge with no guard rails on Chappaquiddick Island, the car swerves over the edge and plunges into the waters below.

1973: Actor Jack Hawkins has died at age 62 in London. A performance he recorded for a British miniseries will be broadcast a year after his death.

1989: Television actress Rebecca Schaeffer has been shot to death by a crazed fan. A year later, California will pass the first anti-stalking law in the U.S.

Tomorrow: More news from Chappaquiddick…

july nineteenth

images-15.jpg

1944: The most popular song on this date—‘Amor.’

1946: Popular radio shows: Walter Winchell; Kay Kayser; Mr. District Attroney; and Screen Guild Players.

1951: SHOW BOAT starring Ava Gardner premieres in New York.

1952: Paint Your Wagon closes on Broadway after 289 performances.

1954: Max Ophuls’ THE EARRINGS OF MADAME DE premieres in New York.

1962: Anthony Edwards, star of television’s ER, is born on this day in Santa Barbara.

1969: Barbara Pepper who played mother to Arnold the Pig on TV’s Green Acres has died. She was 57.

1969: More news from Chappaquiddick—after driving off a bridge, Senator Ted Kennedy has been able to extricate himself from the car and swim to safety. But his passenger, Mary Jo Kopechne, does not fare as well. Kennedy fails to report the incident to police, and later her body is found at the scene.

1985: Christa McAuliffe, a school teacher, has been chosen to fly in a space shuttle.

1991: A Miss Black America contestant has accused Mike Tyson of attacking her.

Tomorrow: Another divorce for heiress Barbara Hutton…

july twentieth

1kirk.png

1941: Right from the production code office—Will Hays says the great function of the screen is to entertain, not spread propaganda.

1941: Vaudeville’s Lew Fields, 74, is dead in Los Angeles.

1943: 20th Century Fox has bought the rights to ‘One World’ for $100,000. Wendell Wilkie’s travelogue has spent over two months on top of the New York Times bestseller list and has sold millions of copies.

1951: Heiress Barbara Hutton is back in the news with another divorce. This time it’s splitsville with her fourth husband, Prince Igor, in Mexico.

1953: Jan Struther, the author of Mrs. Miniver, has died at age 52 in New York. She had been involved in legal proceedings against MGM for killing off her beloved character in THE MINIVER STORY.

1968: The first Special Olympics are held on this date.

1974: Allen Jenkins, Warner Brothers player, has died at age 74 in Santa Monica from complications following surgery.

1991: Kirk Cameron has married his Growing Pains costar Chelsea Noble in New York.

Tomorrow: James Stewart’s latest movie…

july twentieth

1kirk.png

1941: Right from the production code office—Will Hays says the great function of the screen is to entertain, not spread propaganda.

1941: Vaudeville’s Lew Fields, 74, is dead in Los Angeles.

1943: 20th Century Fox has bought the rights to ‘One World’ for $100,000. Wendell Wilkie’s travelogue has spent over two months on top of the New York Times bestseller list and has sold millions of copies.

1951: Heiress Barbara Hutton is back in the news with another divorce. This time it’s splitsville with her fourth husband, Prince Igor, in Mexico.

1953: Jan Struther, the author of Mrs. Miniver, has died at age 52 in New York. She had been involved in legal proceedings against MGM for killing off her beloved character in THE MINIVER STORY.

1968: The first Special Olympics are held on this date.

1974: Allen Jenkins, Warner Brothers player, has died at age 74 in Santa Monica from complications following surgery.

1991: Kirk Cameron has married his Growing Pains costar Chelsea Noble in New York.

Tomorrow: James Stewart’s latest movie…

I guess you were not born yet, or had better things to do on this date 45 years ago.....

IMHO, man's greatest achievement...

Apollo 11 lands on the moon with the lunar module Eagle. Neil Armstrong becomes the first human to set foot on another celestial body with the second man to walk on the moon, Buzz Aldrin with Michael Collins orbiting in the command module Columbia.

Truly the greatest feat of engineering ever. And all done within the same decade that President John F. Kennedy had promised would be done.

• Like 1

I guess you were not born yet, or had better things to do on this date 45 years ago.....

IMHO, man's greatest achievement...

Apollo 11 lands on the moon with the lunar module Eagle. Neil Armstrong becomes the first human to set foot on another celestial body with the second man to walk on the moon, Buzz Aldrin with Michael Collins orbiting in the command module Columbia.

Truly the greatest feat of engineering ever. And all done within the same decade that President John F. Kennedy had promised would be done.

I was not born yet, and my parents were not married yet. LOL  But thanks for adding the info here. Obviously, I am not going to get everything that happened on each date-- but if folks want to add what is important to them (that I may have unintentionally omitted) as we go along, I am all for that!

I was not born yet, and my parents were not married yet. LOL  But thanks for adding the info here. Obviously, I am not going to get everything that happened on each date-- but if folks want to add what is important to them (that I may have unintentionally omitted) as we go along, I am all for that!

Was not trying to pick on you TOP, just sort of figured that you can't possibly point out everything that happens on any particular date. Though I do find these reports by you fun to read. So keep it up!

By the way, I was nine years old at the time of the moon landings, living in Louisa, Virginia, about 100 miles south of Washington, D.C. and about 25 miles east of Charlottesville, Virginia. My Mom let me stay up late that evening. The walk occurred around 11:00 PM on the east coast, if I remembered correctly. It may have been later.

Was not trying to pick on you TOP, just sort of figured that you can't possibly point out everything that happens on any particular date. Though I do find these reports by you fun to read. So keep it up!

By the way, I was nine years old at the time of the moon landings, living in Louisa, Virginia, about 100 miles south of Washington, D.C. and about 25 miles east of Charlottesville, Virginia. My Mom let me stay up late that evening. The walk occurred around 11:00 PM on the east coast, if I remembered correctly. It may have been later.

I usually do remember this event in history, because it is one day before my mother's birthday. I am sure that was an exciting time.

july twenty-first

1mork.png

1946: Bestsellers include The Egg and I; and The Hucksters. Both will soon be turned into major motion pictures.

1950: BROKEN ARROW premieres in New York.

1951: Na-nu, na-nu! Robin Williams is born in Chicago. Shazbot!

1959: The New York Federal Court has reversed the postal ban on Lady Chatterley’s Lover.

1967: Basil Rathbone has died at age 75 in New York from a heart attack.

1978: Josh Hartnett is born on this day in St. Paul

1982: Dave Garroway, former host of the Today Show is dead. He was 69.

Tomorrow: Peter Lorre heads back to the altar…

july twenty-second

1zf.jpg

1944: Ziegfeld Follies closes on Broadway after 553 performances. MGM will make a major motion picture based on the revue, with William Powell once again playing the famed showman.

1946: Danny Glover is born on this day in San Francisco.

1953: M means Married. Peter Lorre has tied the knot again after his divorce from Karen Verne. He made it official in West Germany today.

1964: Don’t shoot the messenger. David Spade from television’s Just Shoot Me! enters the world in Birmingham, Michigan.

Tomorrow: Legendary director dies…a new Miss America…

july twenty-third

1vw.jpg

1948: D.W. Griffith, one of Hollywood’s most influential directors, has died at age 73.

1951: Robert Flaherty, producer of NANOOK OF THE NORTH, has also died. He was 67 and spent his last days in Vermont.

1965: The Beatles release their hit song Help!

1984: Vanessa Williams has been crowned Miss America. She is the first African American to be so honored.

1989: Fox TV’s America’s Most Wanted tops the ratings—the first time a program from the fledgling network has been rated number one.

1991: James Farentino, star of TV’s Dynasty, has been arrested in Canada for possession of cocaine.

Tomorrow: What’s hot on Broadway…

july twenty-fourth

1lewis.png

1951: Guys and Dolls is named the best musical on Broadway; Darkness at Noon is heralded as the best play. Sam Goldwyn will buy the rights for Guys and Dolls and in four years, it will become a hit movie.

1951: Lynda Carter, TV’s Wonder Woman, is born on this day in Phoenix.

1956: Breaking up is hard to do—Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis perform their last comedy show together in New York—just one day shy of their tenth anniversary.

1966: Montgomery Clift has died at age 45 in New York.  His last film, THE DEFECTOR, will be released in November.

1967: The Beatles sign a petition to legalize marijuana.

1976: Elton John & Kiki Dee have the number one song, Don’t Go Breaking My Heart.

1980: Peter Sellers has passed away in London. He was 54.

1982: Anna Paquin is born in Winnipeg on this day.

Tomorrow: Actor’s deportation battle…

july twenty-fifth

1roseanne.jpg

1952: HIGH NOON premieres in New York.

1955: Dick Haymes wins a 16-month battle against deportation, after the Justice Department drops the case.

1958: Harry Warner, of Warner Brothers, dies at age 78 in Hollywood.

1966: The Supremes have a hit with ‘You Can’t Hurry Love.’

1987: Madonna has the number song, if not the number one movie, with Who’s That Girl.

1990: Roseanne Barr sings the National Anthem at a San Diego Padres game.

Tomorrow: Bette Davis involved in divorce drama…PeeWee’s latest adventure…

july twenty-sixth

1peewee.jpg

1943: Mick Jagger is born on this day in Kent, England.

1948: THE BABE RUTH STORY premieres in New York.

1950: Gary Merrill—in love with Bette Davis—divorces wife Barbara Merrill in Los Angeles.

1950: George Bernard Shaw turns 94 and produces a new five-scene comedy in just seven days.

1964: Sandra Bullock is born on this day in Arlington, Virginia.

1981: Close call—New York major Ed Koch chokes in a Chinese restaurant and receives the Heimlich maneuver.

1991: Paul Reubens (PeeWee Herman) has been arrested for exposing himself in a Florida adult movie theater.

Tomorrow: Divorce for crooner…communists not allowed in Hollywood…

july twenty-seventh

1tvg.jpg

1944: Musician Rudy Vallee’s wife has divorced him in Los Angeles.

1946: Gertrude Stein has died at age 72 in Paris.

1950: Bette Davis is down in Mexico after her recent divorce from William Sherry.

1953: The Screen Actors Guild makes it official-- banning communists from membership.

1953: Dizzy Dean and Al Simmons are inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame.

1977: John Lennon has been granted a green card in order to establish permanent residence in the U.S.

1984: James Mason has died of a heart attack in Switzerland. He was 75.

1991: The 2,000th edition of TV Guide magazine hits newsstands.

Tomorrow: Bette says ‘I do’ again…

july twenty-eighth

1bd1.jpg

1941: Judy Garland, 19, marries 31 year-old composer David Rose in Vegas.

1947: Sally Struthers, TV’s Gloria Bunker Stivic, is born on this day in Portland, Oregon.

1950: Bette Davis—recently divorced from husband William Sherry—and Gary Merrill—recently divorced from wife Barbara Merrill—meet up in Juarez, Mexico and say ‘I do.’ It’s Bette’s fourth marriage, and Gary’s second.

1951: Disney’s ALICE IN WONDERLAND premieres in New York.

1954: ON THE WATERFRONT premieres in New York.

1964: Lori Loughlin, of TV’s Full House, is born on this day in Queens, New York.

1998: Monica Lewinsky has been given immunity from prosecution in agreeing to testify.

Tomorrow: A wedding at the palace…

july twenty-ninth

250px-princess_diana_wedding_dress.png

1957: Jack Paar’s version of The Tonight Show premieres.

1959: LAST TRAIN FROM GUN HILL premieres in New York.

1965: Queen Elizabeth attends the Beatles’ new movie, HELP!

1966: One year later, an article in Datebook magazine has John Lennon saying that he and his band members are more popular than Jesus.

1966: County singer Martina McBride is born on this day in Sharon, Kansas.

1967: In the worst naval disaster since WWII, a fire on board the USS Forrestal off the coast of North Vietnam kills 134.

1972: Wil Wheaton, of STAND BY ME and Star Trek: The Next Generation, is born in Burbank.

1981: Prince Charles and Lady Diana Spencer say ‘I do.’ It is estimated that 750 million people around the world are watching the televised nuptials.

1983: Friday Night Videos premieres on NBC.

1983: Also on this day, David Niven has died in Switzerland from Lou Gehrig’s disease. He was 73. His last film, CURSE OF THE PINK PANTHER, will hit screens in December.

Tomorrow: Trouble at the White House…more trouble for Chaplin…

july thirtieth

1bsliberace.jpg

1944: After the devastating tent fire in Connecticut, the Ringling Brothers Circus is finally allowed to continue its tour of outdoor arenas.

1947: Arnold Schwarzenegger is born on this day in Austria. (His “twin” Danny DeVito was born two and a half years earlier in New Jersey.)

1950: Charlie Chaplin’s attorneys have stopped a theatre from showing his classic silent film THE CIRCUS. The screening was intended to benefit a communist newspaper.

1954: George Wilson, the world’s oldest working actor, dies at 100 in London. He began his career as an actor at age 86.

1961: Laurence Fishburne is born on this day in Augusta, Georgia.

1963: Friends actress Lisa Kudrow is born in Encino, California.

1969: Barbra Streisand opens for Liberace in Vegas.

1974: President Nixon has released the White House recordings of Watergate after being ordered to do so by the U.S. Supreme Court.

1974: Hilary Swank is born in Lincoln, Nebraska. She will be ‘discovered’ at age six by a producer.

1975: Teamsters president Jimmy Hoffa disappears from the parking lot of a suburban Detroit restaurant. Jack Nicholson will play the legendary union figure in a 1992 biopic directed by Danny DeVito.

Tomorrow: 300 wins for long-time pitcher…

july thirty-first

200px-nolan_ryan_tiger_stadium_1990_crop

1945: Forever Amber has been banned in Australia as an undesirable book. It will be made into a motion picture by 20th Century Fox.

1952: IVANHOE premieres in New York.

1956: Archbishop Noll, the co-founder of the Catholic Legion of Decency, has died at age 81 in Indiana.

1962: Wesley Snipes is born on this day in Orlando.

1968: The Beatles have closed their boutique and are giving clothes away for free.

1970: Chet Huntley retires, ending the Huntley Brinkley Report on NBC.

1975: Jimmy Hoffa has been reported missing. He was last seen heading to his car after dinner.

1990: Pitcher Nolan Ryan has won his 300th game at age 43. His last appearance for the Texas Rangers will not come until September 1993, at age 46. He would go on to have 324 wins during a 27-year professional baseball career.

Tomorrow: A lawsuit for Kirk…and an actress arrested for shoplifting…

august first

1kirk1.png

1943: The PT 109 is sunk at sea. This will be depicted on film twenty years later with Cliff Robertson portraying future president John Kennedy.

1949: A ban against soprano Kirsten Flagstad has been lifted. The singer has been cleared of charges of collaborating with the Nazis.

1956: Kirk Douglas is suing Walt Disney and ABC for $415,000. Douglas is citing invasion of privacy, after movies made of him and his family visiting Disney’s home were used on a Disney TV program.

1959: Ralph Cohn, nephew of Columbia Pictures president Harry Cohn, and himself the president of Columbia’s television subsidiary Screen Gems, has died at age 45 in New York.

1960: The first Spiderman comic book hits newsstands.

1963: There’s no disguising his popularity: Elvis has the number song—‘Devil in Disguise.’

1973: Tempestt Bledsoe, The Cosby Show’s Vanessa Huxtable, is born on this day in Chicago.

1979: Gilda Radner’s one-woman show on Broadway opens.

1981: MTV begins broadcasting on this day.

1988: Rush Limbaugh’s radio show is now syndicated nationally.

1991: Hedy Lamarr has been arrested for shoplifting in Florida.

Tomorrow: Immigration problems for Dick Haymes…