Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TopBilled

It happened on this day

CORRECTION: Ralph Cohn was the nephew​ of Harry; son of Harry's brother Jack Cohn, who co-founded Columbia Pictures with Harry.

CORRECTION: Ralph Cohn was the nephew​ of Harry; son of Harry's brother Jack Cohn, who co-founded Columbia Pictures with Harry.

Thanks. I have made the necessary change.

:)

august second

1morley.png

1948: Albert Camus’ The Plague is published.

1952: Eugene O’Neill’s Moon for the Misbegotten is published by Random House.

1954: Immigration officials reject Dick Haymes’ appeal of deportation in Hollywood.

1964: Mary-Louise Parker is born on this day in Fort Jackson, South Carolina.

1965: Morley Safer reports that the U.S. is losing in Vietnam.

Tomorrow: Ban against classic film is lifted after eight years…

august third

1dennis.png

1940: Martin Sheen is born on this day in Dayton, Ohio.

1945: A ban has been lifted against the film DEAD END in Memphis after eight years. It was believed the film would influence boys to be gangsters.

1951: Jay North, TV’s Dennis the Menace, is born on this day in Hollywood.

1954: Barbara Sears Rockefeller divorces Winthrop Rockefeller in Reno after a four-year separation.

Tomorrow: the end of a marriage for Maureen O’Hara…a president’s birthday…

august third

1940: Martin Sheen is born on this day in Dayton, Ohio.

1945: A ban has been lifted against the film DEAD END in Memphis after eight years. It was believed the film would influence boys to be gangsters.

1951: Jay North, TV’s Dennis the Menace, is born on this day in Hollywood.

1954: Barbara Sears Rockefeller divorces Winthrop Rockefeller in Reno after a four-year separation.

Tomorrow: the end of a marriage for Maureen O’Hara…a president’s birthday…

Interesting about the ban on Dead End.    I wonder what other gangster films the city of Memphis had banned.  I don't see Dead End having a pro-gangster message;  the guys mother rejects him,  he ex-girl friend is a hooker,  and he gets killed by the local nice guy.    A movie like Angel with Dirty Faces,  is more pro gangster especially since boys should be able to figure out that Rocky is faking it at the end. 

Interesting about the ban on Dead End.    I wonder what other gangster films the city of Memphis had banned.  I don't see Dead End having a pro-gangster message;  the guys mother rejects him,  he ex-girl friend is a hooker,  and he gets killed by the local nice guy.    A movie like Angel with Dirty Faces,  is more pro gangster especially since boys should be able to figure out that Rocky is faking it at the end. 

I agree it is interesting. Can you imagine a city doing that now?  I think this proves that even with a production code in place and obviously DEAD END met the requirements of the Hays Office-- that some regions were even stricter in the exhibition of motion pictures. Eight years is a long time for a film to be banned. I wonder what caused them to finally overturn their earlier decision? At first, I thought it might be the fact that DEAD END had aired on television, but 1945 is still before television. Maybe the picture was re-released across the country into movie theatres, and Memphis had to re-examine its ban...?

Nope! The ban was lifted right after Memphis city father Homer Whipdoddle awoke one morning to find the head of his beloved Tennessee Walker next to him in bed and along with a note containing a message about "the benefits of keeping an open mind" signed by Jack Warner. ;)

august fourth

1rear.jpg

1944: Albert Einstein blasts a biography written by his former son-in-law, saying it is unreliable.

1949: IN THE GOOD OLD SUMMERTIME premieres.

1952: Maureen O’Hara has divorced director Will Price in Los Angeles.

1954: REAR WINDOW premieres in New York.

1955: Billy Bob Thornton is born on this day in Hot Springs, Arkansas.

1958: The Dumont television network leaves the airwaves for good.

1961: President Barack Obama is born on this day in Honolulu.

1981: Melvyn Douglas has died in New York at age 80. Cause of death: pneumonia and cardiac complications.

Tomorrow: Burt Lancaster’s latest film…

august fourth

1961: President Barack Obama is born on this day in Honolulu.

Well, I'm certainly glad THAT'S finally been established!

(...though somethin's tellin' me here that a certain obnoxious ultra-rich blowhard with a bad comb-over might STILL disagree with ya here, TB!) ;)

august fifth

1mm.jpg

1945: Loni Anderson, of TV’s WKRP in Cincinnati, is born on this day in St.Paul.

1953: FROM HERE TO ETERNITY premieres in New York.

1957: Dick Clark brings American Bandstand to ABC television.

1962: Marilyn Monroe has died at age 36 in Los Angeles. Her last film remains unfinished.

2000: Alec Guinness dies at age 86 in England from liver cancer.

Tomorrow: the end of a marriage for Edward G. Robinson…

Well, I'm certainly glad THAT'S finally been established!

(...though somethin's tellin' me here that a certain obnoxious ultra-rich blowhard with a bad comb-over might STILL disagree with ya here, TB!) ;)

Hmmmm...no response, huh TB?!

Well, I guess that must mean I'm back on "ignore", huh?! ;)

(...well, either THAT or this post of mine was just "too immature" to respond to, HUH?!) LOL

Hmmmm...no response, huh TB?!

Well, I guess that must mean I'm back on "ignore", huh?! ;)

(...well, either THAT or this post of mine was just "too immature" to respond to, HUH?!) LOL

I read the reply...but I wasn't sure I understood who you were referring to when you said blowhard. 

august sixth

1north.png

1953: Jane Powell divorces insurance salesman Geary Steffen in Hollywood.

1954: Emilie Dionne, age 20, is the first of the Dionne Quintuplets to die in Quebec after an epileptic seizure.

1956: Edward G. Robinson has been divorced by his wife in Santa Monica.

1958: THE NAKED AND THE DEAD premieres in New York.

1959: NORTH BY NORTHWEST premieres in New York.

Tomorrow: The last days of Laurel & Hardy…

august seventh

1oliver.png

1944: The Justice Department has filed suit ordering Hollywood producers to end their ownership of movie theaters.

1956: Boston Red Sox outfielder Ted Williams has been fined $5,000 for spitting on fans during a game with the Yankees.

1957: After an eleven-month illness Oliver Hardy has died in Hollywood at age 65. He performed with Stan Laurel since 1926.

1959: The first TV photo of earth from outer space has been transmitted.

1960: Actor David Duchovny is born on this day in New York City.

1973: The final day of the Watergate hearings airs on daytime television.

1988: The Writers Guild has ended its six-month long strike in Hollywood.

Tomorrow: A marriage for Laurence Harvey…

Probably the single most important date in World War II history.... August 6th 1945, The dropping of the world's first atomic bomb against an adversary not willing to surrender. Followed on the 9th of August by the dropping of a second atomic weapon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atomic_bombings_of_Hiroshima_and_Nagasaki

• Like 1

august eighth

1ml.png

1948: The peace-time draft is being protested by U.S. clergymen.

1955: Gypsy Rose Lee has divorced painter Julio de Diego in Reno.

1957: Margaret Leighton and Laurence Harvey have tied the knot on a boat off the coast of Gibraltar.

1966: The Beatles have been banned in South Africa for John Lennon’s recent anti-Jesus remark.

1974: One day after the Watergate hearings have ended, President Nixon has announced his resignation, to take affect the next day.

Tomorrow: The price of a color TV set in 1954…remembering Sharon Tate…

august eighth

1ml.png

1955: Gypsy Rose Lee has divorced painter Julio de Diego in Reno.

Is it only me, or does Rose's Ex there look just like Brian Aherne?

Is it only me, or does Rose's Ex there look just like Brian Aherne?

That's a photo of another item in today's post-- Margaret Leighton and matinee idol Laurence Harvey. Harvey usually had dark brown hair, but he dyed it blonde for one of his movie roles.  And yes, he does resemble Brian Aherne.

That's a photo of another item in today's post-- Margaret Leighton and matinee idol Laurence Harvey. Harvey usually had dark brown hair, but he dyed it blonde for one of his movie roles.  And yes, he does resemble Brian Aherne.

Aah yes! Now I see it. With the head scarf, a look Gypsy Rose Lee would often sport back in the day, I guess I thought Maggie there was Rose.

And funny, I never noticed how much Harvey looked like Aherne.

(...thanks for the clarification here, TB)

• Like 1

august ninth

1rca.jpg

1944: Antoine de St. Exupery, 44, is reported missing and presumed dead after taking a flight over France.

1954: RCA has slashed the price of color television sets from $1000 to $495.

1957: Melanie Griffith is born on this day in New York.

1963: Whitney Houston is born on this day in Newark, New Jersey.

1967: Scott McKenzie has the number one song with San Francisco (Be Sure to Wear Some Flowers in Your Hair).

1969: Sharon Tate has been murdered by members of a cult led by Charles Manson in Los Angeles.

1974: Richard Nixon steps down from the presidency and Gerald Ford takes over.

Tomorrow: William Holden’s latest movie…

I was mentioning those 50's color sets to a cable rep yesterday.  When I told her they cost 1K and were only about 21 inches she couldn't believe it.  Yesterday I got a 40 inch LED for $240; four years ago a 32 was $360.  That's progress, I guess.

If I remember correctly the Tate murders were on a week-end.  I heard about it from a TV in the next apartment and turned on my radio until I found a news station with the information.  I ended up doing a term paper for a journalism course I was taking on the media coverage.      

• Like 1

august tenth

1sb.jpg

1950: SUNSET BOULEVARD premieres in New York.

1955: The American Federation of Television & Radio Artists will penalize any member refusing to tell a congressional committee member if he or she was a Communist.

1956: Bob Crosby (Bing’s brother and a popular television entertainer) has been sued for divorce by his wife June.

1969: A day after Sharon Tate’s murder, members of Charles Manson’s gang have killed again.

1985: Michael Jackson has bought the Beatles’ catalogue of songs for $47 million.

Tomorrow: A Hollywood heartthrob enlists…

august eleventh

1cg.png

1942: Clark Gable has enlisted in the Army. He is 41 years old.

1944: Five officials of the Ringling Brothers Circus have been charged with manslaughter for the deaths caused by the devastating fire in Hartford on July 6th.

1949: ANNA LUCASTA, starring Paulette Goddard, premieres in New York.

1953: Hulk Hogan is born on this day in Augusta, Georgia.

1955: Songwriter Andrew Sterling has died at age 80 in Connecticut. He provided the words for Meet Me in St. Louis.

1959: Advise and Consent, by Allen Drury, is published by Doubleday.

Tomorrow: A popular magazine is first published…

august twelfth

imgres1.jpg

1947: The Last Days of Hitler, by Hugh Trevor-Ropers, is published.

1954: The inaugural issue of Sports Illustrated hits newsstands.

1955: President Eisenhower has raised the minimum wage in the U.S. from seventy-five cents to $1 per hour.

1956: Jackson Poll-ock, 44, has died in Southamption in a car crash.

1971: TopBilled is born on this day in Wisconsin.

1975: Casey Affleck is born on this day in Falmouth, Massachusetts.

1981: The first IBM personal computer is sold.

1988: THE LAST TEMPTATION OF CHRIST premieres.

Tomorrow: A science fiction author passes away…