Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Martha Hyer (1924-2014)

Guest obrienmundy

Guest obrienmundy

Martha Hyer, Oscar-nominee for Some Came Running and widow of producer Hal Wallis, passed away on May 31st. I personally thought that she was a very fine actress. RIP.

Martha Hyer, Oscar-nominee for Some Came Running and widow of producer Hal Wallis, passed away on May 31st. I personally thought that she was a very fine actress. RIP.

She was on the Encore Westerns Channel last night in THE NIGHT OF THE GRIZZLY, which I thought showcased her skills rather well, despite the role being underwritten.

I just watched her in a Burke's Law last night.

I think she was better in unsympathetic roles, which made her unusual among young actresses of that time. Maybe that's why she lasted so long.

Trivia: MH was the original choice to play the wife on Green Acres. I don't know why she left the project, but thank heaven she did -- gloriously crazy Eva Gabor played the role to perfection.

I just watched her in a Burke's Law last night.

I think she was better in unsympathetic roles, which made her unusual among young actresses of that time. Maybe that's why she lasted so long.

Trivia: MH was the original choice to play the wife on Green Acres. I don't know why she left the project, but thank heaven she did -- gloriously crazy Eva Gabor played the role to perfection.

I loved the way Eva said Hooterville...Hootersville:lol:  I have an Eva Gabor autograph and she added by request "Lisa" for her Green Acres character.  :D I kinda doubt that Martha Hyer coulda done comedy as well as Eva Gabor.

I always liked her work.  She was in a 1949 episode of The Lone Ranger as a brunette so you can see how much her career grew.  She could be the good girl or the nasty one equally well.  In The Best of Everything she's a nice woman treated like a tramp because she's divorced and breaks your heart; in The Carpetbaggers her "Jenny Denton" makes you want to kill Jonas for what he does to her.    

This will be my last post until the 20th.  My devoutly Catholic mom called me Memorial Day week-end upset that her TV had gone nuts on her while she was watching the events in Israel.  I couldn't do anything about that but found a new one for her on-line and ordered it.  She got it a week later but is unsure how to set it up.  Since Thursday is her birthday-91-I'm going up to Jacksonville to help her and deal with Comcast as necessary.  Instead of T-bones I'm bringing a boneless chuck we can turn into a pot roast.  There would be a bunch of movies I want to see but won't as I can only tape ahead one week.  I always know I'll have a lot to catch up on from The Board when I return. 

First Mongo tells us Mona Freeman died last month and now this; what a sendoff!

What's rather strange here is that if you check Miss Hyer's Wiki page, it doesn't show her death at all. And Wiki is almost always extremely fast in updating their bio pages of notable people after their death.

Btw, in her Wiki page, it states the following:

During these years(the mid-50's and later) she was considered (by some) the best replacement for Grace Kelly, who had just retired after marrying Rainier III, Prince of Monaco.

Yep. That's how I usually remember her roles...as the prototypical "Ice Princess", and she was very good especially in those kinds of roles.

no reporting on her death outside of her local paper "the santa fe new mexican." the funeral home confirmed it. no services planned.

apparently she didnt have much in her later years.

http://www.santafenewmexican.com/news/local_news/academy-award-nominated-actress-martha-hyer-dies/article_5410fdae-1987-5544-989f-0efdbffe60df.html

i did not know she was a texan.

OMG. Sorry to hear this. It's only coming out NOW????

She never quite made it as a star in films, but she seemed very happy as Mrs. Hal Wallis. Very beautiful looking woman. Appeared on a lot of 60s tv shows.......

I always liked her work.  She was in a 1949 episode of The Lone Ranger as a brunette so you can see how much her career grew.  She could be the good girl or the nasty one equally well.  In The Best of Everything she's a nice woman treated like a tramp because she's divorced and breaks your heart; in The Carpetbaggers her "Jenny Denton" makes you want to kill Jonas for what he does to her.    

This will be my last post until the 20th.  My devoutly Catholic mom called me Memorial Day week-end upset that her TV had gone nuts on her while she was watching the events in Israel.  I couldn't do anything about that but found a new one for her on-line and ordered it.  She got it a week later but is unsure how to set it up.  Since Thursday is her birthday-91-I'm going up to Jacksonville to help her and deal with Comcast as necessary.  Instead of T-bones I'm bringing a boneless chuck we can turn into a pot roast.  There would be a bunch of movies I want to see but won't as I can only tape ahead one week.  I always know I'll have a lot to catch up on from The Board when I return. 

Wow. 91. Sounds like she's in good health too. Enjoy your time with her. I hadnt heard about Mona Freeman. :(

no reporting on her death outside of her local paper "the santa fe new mexican." the funeral home confirmed it. no services planned.

apparently she didnt have much in her later years.

http://www.santafenewmexican.com/news/local_news/academy-award-nominated-actress-martha-hyer-dies/article_5410fdae-1987-5544-989f-0efdbffe60df.html

i did not know she was a texan.

Dan, the link doesnt work for me. So she moved to NM?

Dan, the link doesnt work for me. So she moved to NM?

try googling news now. other outlets are reporting.

but yes she moved to nm after visiting it with her skin flint husband hal wallis, found god and took up painting.

try googling news now. other outlets are reporting.

but yes she moved to nm after visiting it with her skin flint husband hal wallis, found god and took up painting.

I was able to read it later. My computer was blocking pop-ups. I didnt realize Wallis was such a skin flint! (LOL).

The word "priggishness" has been recently used in another thread. Martha Hyer generally played priggish characters.

LOVED her in "First Men in the Moon" (1964), although her character was annoying and/or hysterical most of the time. It's still hard to believe she was about 40 when she made the sci-fi picture. She looked 15 years younger.

LOVED her in "First Men in the Moon" (1964), although her character was annoying and/or hysterical most of the time. It's still hard to believe she was almost 40 when she made the sci-fi picture. She looked 15 years younger.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings