Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Sepiatone

Calling all Canadians

Back in 1965, my family took a trip to Niagra Falls.  On the way back home, we stopped to eat just outside Hamilton Ont. at a place that seemed to be some sort of "Steakhouse" chain.  The name of the place was fashioned after, I supposed, the founder of the business, whose image was a slim, rugged looking man in a white suit and a patch over one eye.  Sort of like Canada's "Colonel Sanders" of steak. 

Best steak I ever had before or since.  WHAT, if you get what I'm talking about, was the NAME of those places?  Can't remember for the LIFE of me!

Sepiatone

Sorry, Sepiatone, I do not know what restaurant chain it could be.

Unless...there was a chain of steakhouses in the 70s, maybe it went back as far as 1965, called "Pondorosa Steakhouse" or something like that. The name "Pondorosa" was in the title, anyway.

But I thought that chain was American. It sounds American. In which case, wouldn't you have been familiar with them in your home and native land?

I believe the chain has long been defunct. Wonder if Lorne Greene ever visited it?

Edit: sp, error, I guess it's "PondErosa".

HMMmmm...maybe if you ask around, someone much older might remember it?  Dunno...

All I remember, other than how GOOD the steak was, that the "mascot" may or may not have been based on an actual person.  I just remember he was drawn as a middle-ageish man, dark hair but grey at the temples, and a patch over an eye.  Slim build. Moustache  My Mother at the time said that if he was based on someone real, then he's "a damned fine looking man!"  Not sure if he was referred to as "Colonel" or "Captain".

Ponderosa is still in business, but not for long I suspect.  Three locations nearby have closed in the last five years, and the building in Lincoln Park here has even been torn down.  They opened up near the same time as another steak chain, Bonanza Steak House did.  Both operated the same, but Ponderosa's steaks, while not "great", were good enough for the price, and a bit better than Bonanza's.  But they once included your choice of drink and the salad bar with the price of a dinner.  Then they started charging for the drinks seperately, followed closely with charging extra if you wanted the salad bar.  Wound up costing more than going to Logans or The Outback for a much worthless steak.  In the beginning, they DID charge for damned near EVERYthing, like those BEFFEATER places, which are also long gone. 

Sepiatone

HMMmmm...maybe if you ask around, someone much older might remember it?  Dunno...

All I remember, other than how GOOD the steak was, that the "mascot" may or may not have been based on an actual person.  I just remember he was drawn as a middle-ageish man, dark hair but grey at the temples, and a patch over an eye.  Slim build. Moustache  My Mother at the time said that if he was based on someone real, then he's "a damned fine looking man!"  Not sure if he was referred to as "Colonel" or "Captain".

Ponderosa is still in business, but not for long I suspect.  Three locations nearby have closed in the last five years, and the building in Lincoln Park here has even been torn down.  They opened up near the same time as another steak chain, Bonanza Steak House did.  Both operated the same, but Ponderosa's steaks, while not "great", were good enough for the price, and a bit better than Bonanza's.  But they once included your choice of drink and the salad bar with the price of a dinner.  Then they started charging for the drinks seperately, followed closely with charging extra if you wanted the salad bar.  Wound up costing more than going to Logans or The Outback for a much worthless steak.  In the beginning, they DID charge for damned near EVERYthing, like those BEFFEATER places, which are also long gone. 

Sepiatone

Patch over the eye? The steakhouse was owned by the man in the Hathaway shirt.

OH yeah, Sepia. I think you're thinkin' of that old Canadian chain of steakhouses started by TOM Horton, the brother of Tim, and who had that unfortunate accident with a steak knife. ;)

• Like 1

Could you be thinking about Gentleman Jims Steakhouse.

I remember them back in the late seventies, early eighties.

There is still at least one in existance in Summerside, PEI.

I don't know if it's just the name, or if it's the same restaraunt menu from way back then.

Best image I could find of the GJ sign.

post-9867-0-64861700-1402848678_thumb.jpeg

post-9867-0-64861700-1402848678_thumb.jpeg

Could you be thinking about Gentleman Jims Steakhouse.

I remember them back in the late seventies, early eighties.

There is still at least one in existance in Summerside, PEI.

I don't know if it's just the name, or if it's the same restaraunt menu from way back then.

Best image I could find of the GJ sign.

Most Americans (not me) wouldn't have the slightest idea what PEI is.

I think you GOT it, Brian.  I did state it was back in 1965, and that means my of late doddering memory might have confused the facts.  But I do recall the building the one we were in was mostly a glass walled place, like most MacDonald's are, but with tables and waitresses, and no counter.  Not like steakhouses today, with the buckets of peanuts, old crap and neon bar signs on the walls and too loud country music piped in.

Yeah, that was probably one of the places.  Many thanks, Brian.

Sepiatone

I think you GOT it, Brian.  I did state it was back in 1965, and that means my of late doddering memory might have confused the facts.  But I do recall the building the one we were in was mostly a glass walled place, like most MacDonald's are, but with tables and waitresses, and no counter.  Not like steakhouses today, with the buckets of peanuts, old crap and neon bar signs on the walls and too loud country music piped in.

Yeah, that was probably one of the places.  Many thanks, Brian.

Sepiatone

Sorry I steered ya wrong here, Sepia.

THAT'S right! It was "Gentlemen JIM"....Horton's!!!

(...I'll never make THAT mistake again, boy!)

Calling all Canadians?    There are a lot of things I could call Canadians but the censoring software doesn't allow that!

I tried looking the places up on the iNet, but got very little info about them.  I wonder if the Gentleman in the corporate symbol had changd over the yers as I don't recall the cowboy hat. 

Sepiatone

Long before he started his donut chain, Tim Horton tried to make a go of it with his own hamburger joint in Port Credit, Ontario.

I know this because I walked into the place one day and was surprised to Tim taking my order and serving me a burger. By the way that he was interacting with a young girl assisting him, I assumed that she was his daughter.

I can't remember much about the burger itself - didn't make the same impression upon me as that steak did upon you, Sepiatone - but I'll never forget the crew cutted owner/server/perhaps even cook? that took my order that day.

horton_zps8dd6385a.jpg

Okay, take off the pads and outfit, remove the gloves and skates, take away that hockey stick, and you've you a naked man.

Now put a shirt on that naked man, a pair of pants and an apron, plus a burger in his hand - that's the Tim Horton that I'll always remember. (Actually, I didn't look behind the counter so I always just assumed that he was wearing pants. If he wasn't, I'm sort of sorry I ate that burger).

Long before he started his donut chain, Tim Horton tried to make a go of it with his own hamburger joint in Port Credit, Ontario.

I know this because I walked into the place one day and was surprised to Tim taking my order and serving me a burger. By the way that he was interacting with a young girl assisting him, I assumed that she was his daughter.

I can't remember much about the burger itself - didn't make the same impression upon me as that steak did upon you, Sepiatone - but I'll never forget the crew cutted owner/server/perhaps even cook? that took my order that day.

horton_zps8dd6385a.jpg

Okay, take off the pads and outfit, remove the gloves and skates, take away that hockey stick, and you've you a naked man.

Now put a shirt on that naked man, a pair of pants and an apron, plus a burger in his hand - that's the Tim Horton that I'll always remember. (Actually, I didn't look behind the counter so I always just assumed that he was wearing pants. If he wasn't, I'm sort of sorry I ate that burger).

So Tim Horton was a famous Maple Leafs player? Now I think it's coming back to me. Wasn't he a defenseman?

So Tim Horton was a famous Maple Leafs player? Now I think it's coming back to me. Wasn't he a defenseman?

Yes, he was a defenceman. He also played for the New York Rangers and the Buffalo Sabres. He was enroute from Toronto (his home) to Buffalo (his workplace) when he was killed while driving at very high speed.

Yes, he was a defenceman. He also played for the New York Rangers and the Buffalo Sabres. He was enroute from Toronto (his home) to Buffalo (his workplace) when he was killed while driving at very high speed.

You should have said, "no, he was not a defenseman, he was a defenceman."

You should have said, "no, he was not a defenseman, he was a defenceman."

Go ahead, finance. Ask dark what color Tim's eyes were, if he labored hard at his other job, and maybe who his neighbors were, too!

(...I dare ya!) ;)

Not just for Canadians:

Just letting people know: I'd noticed Sepiatone, normally a regular contributor on these boards, hadn't posted for a while. I sent him a brief pm, just asking if everything was ok.

He responded that he'd had a medical situation (I believe he called it a "warning stroke"), had spent a week in the hospital, and was still recovering, hoping to be able to get back to normal asap. He also said, however, that it's not clear yet how soon that will be.

I don't feel I'm revealing any private information he wouldn't want people to know, since he did tell me, and in any case, it was very general medical information he shared.

I'm only "announcing" this because he asked me to let people know, and this seemed easier than sending a mass pm.

Our friend Sepiatone is not yet up to active participation on the boards again, so guess that's why he wanted me to tell people here.

I picked this thread, because it's one Sepiatone himself started. Hopefully people will read it.

Best wishes for a full recovery, Sepia baby.

Thank you, misswonderly. How very considerate of you.

Get well, Sepiatone! 

Thanks for this, MissW. Yeah, I too have been wonderin' where our friend Sepia has been lately. I was hoping he was just on a little vacation or somethin'.

If you see this Sepia, here's to ya gettin' better and back to us around here real soon!

First, thank you to all the well wishers.  I don't know what treatment the neurologist may have in mind, but I'm hopeful.  The hardest thing now is dealing with all the numbness and dietary restrictions, which weren't made clear to me upon release from the hospital.  Trying to go about the dailies as "normal" as possible without overdoing it.  The hardest thing so far is dealing with some people who seem to think all I need do is "will" myself to get better.  Plus, I need to find someone to take over all this yardwork my huge lot requires.  Also, finding ways to fill the time is a situation.  I can drive a little( haven't tried the freeway yet, but local roads are OK so far.)  The odd thing was about the diet thing, I wasn't under any dietary restrictions in the hospital as far as I know.  Usually, the kitchen is made aware of them and will inform you of what you can or cannot order when you call to order a meal.  But when I left, the discharge instructions said something about a "cardiac" diet( low fat, cholestrol and low salt/sodium)  but a sheet of paper with some info(allowable foods, or at least some numbers of levels which might be allowable would have been helpful.

I have a novocaine-like numbness on the left side of my face, andfrom the elbow to wrist of my left arm which is annoying in so much as nobody ever made it clear to me what might be the cause of it( circulation or nerve damage or what...) and once I can get rid of THAT, anything else will be easier to deal with.  My diet of course, is already being looked after, and I haven't had anything to smoke since June 19th, so it's safe to say I've quit smoking at this point, so if I do more or less "fully" recover, a relapse isn't too likely too soon( if at all), so I'm hopeful there.  The worst thing was that there was no TCM on the hospital TVs! 

Sepiatone

It's very good to see you again, Sepiatone! Welcome back - with all sincerity.

Not just for Canadians:

Just letting people know: I'd noticed Sepiatone, normally a regular contributor on these boards, hadn't posted for a while. I sent him a brief pm, just asking if everything was ok.

He responded that he'd had a medical situation (I believe he called it a "warning stroke"), had spent a week in the hospital, and was still recovering, hoping to be able to get back to normal asap. He also said, however, that it's not clear yet how soon that will be.

I don't feel I'm revealing any private information he wouldn't want people to know, since he did tell me, and in any case, it was very general medical information he shared.

I'm only "announcing" this because he asked me to let people know, and this seemed easier than sending a mass pm.

Our friend Sepiatone is not yet up to active participation on the boards again, so guess that's why he wanted me to tell people here.

I picked this thread, because it's one Sepiatone himself started. Hopefully people will read it.

Best wishes for a full recovery, Sepia baby.

I was thinking the same thing, and was about to do a post, but looks like I'm too late.

I haven't had anything to smoke since June 19th, so it's safe to say I've quit smoking at this point, so if I do more or less "fully" recover, a relapse isn't too likely too soon( if at all), so I'm hopeful there.

I hope that is true for you but it is sad to say that it is most common to return to smoking after recovery.

Many people have found an alternative in: vaping. It is FDA-approved flavorings and scents in a carrier base which is also the base which is used to carry many inhaled medications. This liquid is heated to vaporize it and you inhale it as you would a cigarette. You exhale nearly only water vapor. 

Every reputable vendor carries a wide selection which does not contain nicotine.

The similarity to smoking means that it satisfies five of the six main reasons most people smoke. The option to use a liquid which contains nicotine fulfills the sixth which is in truth the number four reason which most people smoke.

I would urge that any who consider vaping to find proper kits on-line or at a brick-and-mortar vaping store. All of the vaping supplies found at gas stations, drug stores and other retailers are predatory as they are basic equipment which has been altered to require the customer to purchase only their over-priced chargers, cartridges and other supplies. I can give as example: I use an 808D-1. It is a standard type available from several manufacturers. The battery commonly costs: $12. The cartridges cost: approx. $1 each. Liquid typically costs: $0.30 per ml.. There are several brands which are the same except for polarity or thread size. Those batteries commonly cost: $16-24. The cartridges commonly cost: $2-4 each. The liquid commonly costs: $0.50-1.50 per ml..

Any who are interested in exploring the world of vaping may send me a Private Message as I would rather not post urls of vendors or seem to be promoting a vaping forum.