Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Godfather I and II

lydecker

I discussed this on another thread not too long ago. Maybe 10 years ago, TCM did air GODFATHERS I & II back-to-back. The theme of the night was Robert Duvall movies, and it was a last-second programming change.Two or three movies in which Duvall actually had the leading role got bumped. I vaguely remember somebody mentioning on this board that a very brief rights window came open, and TCM pounced on it. To my knowledge, it's the only time either movie has ever aired on the network.

I discussed this on another thread not too long ago. Maybe 10 years ago, TCM did air GODFATHERS I & II back-to-back. The theme of the night was Robert Duvall movies, and it was a last-second programming change.Two or three movies in which Duvall actually had the leading role got bumped. I vaguely remember somebody mentioning on this board that a very brief rights window came open, and TCM pounced on it. To my knowledge, it's the only time either movie has ever aired on the network.

That's true. A very brief window of availability (I've heard it could have been as little as a week) developed between when one network lost the rights and another picked them up and TCM jumped on it. Bravo, TCM! That's one of those cases where making a last minute schedule change was the best thing to do.

Of course now, TCM doesn't have a chance to get them anytime soon because AMC has the exclusive rights for the next 200 years. Okay, it was really only nine or ten years, with renewel options, but for those of us who want to see them back on TCM, uncut and commercial-free, it's going to feel like 200 years. ;)