Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Legendary Actress Ruby Dee Passes Away at 91

SableGamine

Hello, all. I just learned that Ruby Dee has passed away at the age of 91. She was truly a pioneer for African-American actors, and her contribution unions to her craft, as well as to the civil rights movement, should not be forgotten. Here'd is a link to the CNN article below:

http://www.cnn.com/2014/06/12/showbiz/obit-ruby-dee/

I am very saddened to hear of this news. I hope that she will the recognition that she deserves. I feel that in a lot of ways, she was very underrated, but anyone familiar with her work knows that she was a fine actress.

• Like 4

She was an amazing actress. I couldn't bring myself to write out a post like this today because I felt so personally close to her. Not that I am, but I did meet her in 2006 when she visited the Cleveland Playhouse to talk about her life and her career. I even got to thank her for inspiring me with all the good work she did be it on stage, screen, television, and humanitarian. 

I loved her performances in "The Jackie Robinson Story," "No Way Out," "A Raisin In The Sun" and "Purlie Victorious." 

• Like 2

Not only was Ruby Dee a terrific actress over the course of well over half a century, but it should also be noted that she and her late husband Ossie Davis formed one of the great performing arts couples of all time.  Married for 57 years, other than Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward it's hard to think of any similarly situated couple that led such completely full lives.  R.I.P. Ms. Dee.

osseeruby1222013.jpgScreen-Shot-2013-05-04-at-12.07.54-PM.pn

photo-main.jpg?1397780894

• Like 2

Among many other outstanding performances, Ruby Dee was great in a small role as Wayne Williams' mother in THE ATLANTA CHILD MURDERS, a TV mini-series. She had little to say or do, but every minute she was on screen I believed she was that character.

Were some of you who lived in New York able to see her on stage?

So sad to hear of this loss. From.the get go, she was playing warm sympathetic characters, like her stoic turn as as Sidney Poitier's wife in NO WAY OUT, which I believe, was the film.debut of Poitier, Ossie Davis as well as Miss Dee.

• Like 1

Ruby Dee's contributions go far deeper than what we in the general public could ever appreciate.  Her and others of her generation ( like her husband, Sidney Poitier, etc )  had to work so hard and endure so much but they accomplished so much too.  Its been many years since I saw the tv movie about baseball player Roy Campanella  (ITS GOOD TO BE ALIVE) , she played the wife to Paul Winfield. It was a very inspirational, well done film.  

• Like 1

So sad to hear of this loss. From.the get go, she was playing warm sympathetic characters, like her stoic turn as as Sidney Poitier's wife in NO WAY OUT, which I believe, was the film.debut of Poitier, Ossie Davis as well as Miss Dee.

Ruby's film debut was actually in 1946 in a race film called "That Man Of Mine." 

Ruby Dee played Poitier's sister in "No Way Out." Mildred Joanne Smith played Poitier's wife. 

Ruby's film debut was actually in 1946 in a race film called "That Man Of Mine." 

Ruby Dee played Poitier's sister in "No Way Out." Mildred Joanne Smith played Poitier's wife.

Wrong on two counts.....guess the coffee hadnt kicked in. Thanks for the correction.

I knew of her and her husband's (Ossie Davis) work, both in film and the Civil Rights Movement.  I have always admired her as a fine lady, and a role model for all Americans, for strength of character, probity, and adherence to principles.  But I have to admit I am underinformed about her film career.  I wonder if TCM can/would sponsor a day or evening of a representative sample of her films.

• Like 2

But I have to admit I am underinformed about her film career.  I wonder if TCM can/would sponsor a day or evening of a representative sample of her films.

Given that she appeared in 60 feature films, I'd think that this would be the least that TCM could do, perhaps on October 27th, which would have been her 92nd birthday.  They've scheduled similar tributes to scores of lesser actors and actresses over the years.

• Like 1

I've looked on Twitter and noticed quite a few people asking for a memorial day for her (I've been looking for the 90-second "TCM Remembers" spot as well.)  There's no definite answer, but they've said that they'll pass the information on to TCM's programmers.  I hope that they will and take notice, because she definitely deserves it.

• Like 1

One of Ruby Dee's unforgettable performances was her portrayal of former slave-turned-abolitionist Harriet Tubman in the 1963-1964 historical anthology series "The Great Adventure."  Tubman never lost a single soul in her attempts to smuggle escaped slaves into Canada via "The Underground Railroad." The episode also starred Dee's husband, Ossie Davis.

It's too bad episodes of this series aren't available on DVD. It was hosted by Van Heflin, and later by Russell Johnson (the Professor on "Gilligan's Island").

The series featured a rousing theme song by the great composer Richard Rodgers.

I see that TCM has scheduled all of two (2) Ruby Dee movies on the 28th of this month in acknowledgement of her passing.  This has to be one of the shortest tributes in memory, and I sure hope that they supplement it with a longer one later in the year.

• Like 2

I see that TCM has scheduled all of two (2) Ruby Dee movies on the 28th of this month in acknowledgement of her passing.  This has to be one of the shortest tributes in memory, and I sure hope that they supplement it with a longer one later in the year.

There are also so many of her films in the TCM collection that they have available to show. I do hope that they will show more in the future as well. 

There are also so many of her films in the TCM collection that they have available to show. I do hope that they will show more in the future as well. 

It could have been worse. I was afraid they were going to show "The Tall Target," in which she barely appears.

I know; I just noticed this as well, and I don't understand it. It's definitely not as if they don't have a plethora of her material to choose from. Does she even have a "TCM Remembers" spot up yet? Of course I'm glad that she hasn't been forgotten, but still.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings