Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Can You Alter What Someone Else Posted?

sewhite2000

I'm always flattered when someone quotes something I posted, but I was disturbed to see a sentence or so that I didn't write had been added to the end of a post of mine that had been quoted in a subsequent post. This is the GODFATHER I & II thread on this forum, which I won't bump up, since it's slipped on down there a bit, but if anyone's curious, open up that thread and see what I originally wrote compared to how I'm quoted. It's been altered. What the heck? Can anyone do this to anyone? I find that a bit disturbing ...

• Like 1

Anyone could do this to anyone deliberately but I believe it's inadvertent most, if not all of the time. Sometimes the text editor takes on a life of it's own and it isn't noticed by the poster or can't be easily edited at the time. When some of my quoting has become mixed, I've had a difficult time separating them - I just cancel and start over.

Words or lines in text which is quoted can be deleted or highlighted. This is to provide opportunity to reduce to salient sections what the reply addresses and to indicate what the repliee believes is significant.

I believe that the adding of lines within the quote box most often indicates that the person who is posting the reply does not understand well how to separate their reply from the quote.

• Like 1

I'm always flattered when someone quotes something I posted, but I was disturbed to see a sentence or so that I didn't write had been added to the end of a post of mine that had been quoted in a subsequent post. This is the GODFATHER I & II thread on this forum, which I won't bump up, since it's slipped on down there a bit, but if anyone's curious, open up that thread and see what I originally wrote compared to how I'm quoted. It's been altered. What the heck? Can anyone do this to anyone? I find that a bit disturbing ...

This happens by accident sometimes, when a poster accidentally includes his new message in the quoted message box.

But some people do manipulate quotes to make it seem like the original poster said something different. This can be done by removing certain sentences from the quote, by bolding certain words, and by cutting a few words out of quoted sentences.

You should contact a moderator if this happens again.

I'm always flattered when someone quotes something I posted, but I was disturbed to see a sentence or so that I didn't write had been added to the end of a post of mine that had been quoted in a subsequent post.

sewhite2000, I'm afraid that I'm that culprit, but be assured that it was not intentional. I did indeed put my thoughts in the wrong place. and while I corrected that, I accidently left part of a sentence behind and never noticed. Thanks for pointing it out and I just deleted it from my post. Sorry about that.

• Like 1

sewhite2000, I'm afraid that I'm culprit, but be assured that it was not intentional. I did indeed put my thoughts in the wrong place. and while I corrected that, I accidently left part of a sentence behind and never noticed. Thanks for pointing it out and I just deleted it from my post. Sorry about that.

sewhite2000, you are a wonderful and honorable person for confessing to your error. :)

I hate to admit my errors. :)

Words or lines in text which is quoted can be deleted or highlighted. This is to provide opportunity to reduce to salient sections what the reply addresses and to indicate what the repliee believes is significant.

I believe that the adding of lines within the quote box most often indicates that the person who is posting the reply does not understand well how to separate their reply from the quote.

Sometimes I can seperate my post from the quote, other times not. Not sure what causes that. It happened yesterday. My post was included in a quote that had had been posted by another.

sewhite2000, you are a wonderful and honorable person for confessing to your error. :)

I hate to admit my errors. :)

I'm shocked to read that!

Wait, lemme try that again...

I'm shocked to read that!

LOL

Sometimes I can seperate my post from the quote, other times not. Not sure what causes that. It happened yesterday. My post was included in a quote that had had been posted by another.

Yep, lavender. And I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to reply to your PM to me yesterday about how this happens and how to fix it.

(...I have that little part-time shuttle gig now between Sedona and the PHX airport ya know, and only had time yesterday to kid Tom about his "Wicked Witch of the EAST" line in another thread before I had to get to work yesterday morning)  ;)

Thanks for posting the explanation,Dargo. I was terribly hurt and insulted when you didn't reply. NAH, just teasing my friend, I knew you would when you had a chance :)

As long as you're on the bds, wanted to remind you that re-runs of HART TO HART will be starting MONDAY JULY 7 @ 8pm, according to ME-TV's ads for the show. Wouldn't want you to miss seeing your crush :) so mark it down and make sure you're not shutteling around then LOL

Thanks for posting the explanation, I was terribly hurt and insulted when you didn't reply. NAH, just teasing, I knew you would when you had a chance :)

As long as you're on the bds, wanted to remind you that re-runs of HART TO HART will be starting MONDAY JULY 7 @ 8pm, according to ME-TV's ads for the show. Wouldn't want you to miss seeing your crush :) so mark it down and make sure you're not shutteling around then LOL

Thanks for the heads-up, lavender.

(...ya know, this gives me an idea for TB's thread about "If YOU were a star, who would be your co-stars?"...yep, you guessed it, I'D replace that hack R.J. in that TV series he did with my old crush Stefanie!...yeah, THAT'S it!!!) LOL

;)

Thanks for the heads-up, lavender.

;)

So I just edited your post for practice, never done that before. LOL- BUT I'm pretty sure my reply will show up in the quote box again LOL- YOU"RE VERY WELCOME and ENJOY the show :)

WOW, my reply didn't show up as part of the quote YAY, getting the hang of this LOL

So I just edited your post for practice, never done that before. LOL- BUT I'm pretty sure my reply will show up in the quote box again LOL- YOU"RE VERY WELCOME and ENJOY the show :)

RATS!!! I just thought o' somethin' here.

As you might remember, the only reason I'm now gettin' MeTV is because we went with a cable service that bundles the TV service with Internet service, and then dropped DirectTV. However, we've been havin' a lot of problems with their Internet service and they haven't exactly been good about fixin' the problem.

And so the wife has just cancelled it and we're now goin' back to the original Internet provider we used to have and back to DirectTV, which means no MeTV anymore, and thus no "Hart To Hart" and all those other wonderful old TV shows I've now gotten into watching as a great "fall back" alternative.

(...I HATE when that happens) 

Over a year ago, Comcast here did NOT carry ME_TV. I called COMCAST locally and the headquaters and I think I may have emailed ME-TV a couple of times. A month later we got ME-TV. See if you can call DIRECT TV, tell them you want it, call and email ME-TV and find out how to go about getting the station. It worked for me. On ME-TV's website there is a way to contact them. If it doesn't work, try YOUTUBE, the show may be on the computer. Definitely go to Me-TV's site, they may air shows, some of the websites for tv stations do that now :)

If all else fails, Birthday and XMAS time drop hints that you want the HART TO HART Box-Set, they've probably put the series on DVD's

(...I have that little part-time shuttle gig now between Sedona and the PHX airport ya know, and only had time yesterday to commend Tom for the sheer BRILLIANCE of his "Wicked Witch of the EAST" line in another thread before I had to get to work yesterday morning) 

Well, at least we know that no poster would deliberately change another poster's quote in order to alter its meaning.

By the way, thanks very much, Dargo. I appreciate the compliment.

Yep, lavender. And I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to reply to your PM to me yesterday about how this happens and how to fix it.

(...I have that little part-time shuttle gig now between Sedona and the PHX airport ya know, and only had time yesterday to kid Tom about his "Wicked Witch of the EAST" line in another thread before I had to get to work yesterday morning)  ;)

Dargo,

You live in Sedona? Love Sedona! The mrs and I visited there five or so years ago. We stayed at the Orchards Inn and one night for our anniversary we had a lovely dinner at the L'Auberge Restaurant. We had a blast taking a four hour jeep ride. Beautiful place to visit however the are where we stayed was so different than the main part of town on Route 89A.

markfp2,

Dang! What an idiot I am! I sent my complements to the wrong person!!

LOL, I hate to admit this mistake. :)

That's okay, Fred. It's the thought that counts. Besides, I just figured you were about as skilled at doing this stuff as me. :lol:

(...I have that little part-time shuttle gig now between Sedona and the PHX airport ya know, and only had time yesterday to commend Tom for the sheer BRILLIANCE of his "Wicked Witch of the EAST" line in another thread before I had to get to work yesterday morning) 

Tom THEN wrote...after a slight modification to my post:

Thanks very much, Dargo. I appreciate the compliment.

ROFL!!!!

Gotta admit that that WAS sheer "brilliance" HERE, Tom! AND so germane to this thread to BOOT!!!

(...great job...I loved it!) 

That's okay, Fred. It's the thought that counts. Besides, I just figured you were about as skilled at doing this stuff as me. :lol:

Plus I'm 71 years old. LOL. :)

I've noticed that sometimes the cursor will remain inside the quote box and I can't get it down a space and out of the quote box. But other times the quote opens up at the bottom and that allows the cursor to move down a space, so I can type a response, and that avoids confusion between the words that are quoted and the response to them.

Guest TCMModerator1

Hello sewhite2000,

Yes, when using the quote function another person could alter/add to the original post in the quote, but they cannot change your original post itself.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings