Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Star of My Life Story

Two things inspired this:  Watching a recommended movie that I thought was gawd-awful (who would have made this?) and seeing who they picked as the star, I had to look her up for I didn't recognize her.   

But let's not dwell into the abyss of this.  I want to forget this afternoon.

Then I saw TopBilled's topic of co-stars.   I don't want to derail his train of thought for it's a good one.

But imagine this:  

Your life event story has caught fire in Hollywood and it's been given the greenlight.  

So what actor would you want portraying you and your amazing experience on the screen?  

This is fantasy, so any actor, living or of a previous decade of stardom can be selected.

Well, my life's event is a comedy, but only Jean Arthur could play my antics authentically.  I wish it  could be Ingrid Bergman, but I am just not as tall as Ingrid (5'9")  

• Like 1

Well, my life's event is a comedy, but only Jean Arthur could play my antics authentically.  I wish it  could be Ingrid Bergman, but I am just not as tall as Ingrid (5'9")  

Hmmmm..."Jean Arthur" ya say, huh?!

So tell us Char...Do YOU also have a one side of your face which you think is MUCH more photogenic than the other side is TOO???

(...sorry, couldn't resist) ;)

So tell us Char...Do YOU also have a one side of your face which you think is MUCH more photogenic than the other side is TOO???

I thought that was Claudette Colbert.  Or maybe both?

Since you ask, I am like most of us who do have a good side.  So don't get on my bad side..   :D 

I thought that was Claudette Colbert.  Or maybe both?

Yeah, I think you're right(or left...or right...or left..sorry), GayD. I think Claudette also had a particular side which she preferred to face to the camera. However, Jean was probably THE most known for this, as far as I know.

I tried to think who might play me in a story based on my life. But I am guess I am too fussy.  I'd have to play myself (and a lot of people have played their own life stories in the movies and on TV-- athlete Bob Mathias played himself, Ann Jillian played herself in a telefilm about her struggle with cancer; Monty Woolley played himself in NIGHT AND DAY, a fictionalized version of Cole Porter's life, etc.).

By the way, someone once told me I looked like David Hyde Pierce and I laughed about it.  Then, a few years later, I went to the set of 'Frasier,' right before it ended production. During the filming (more accurately, between scenes), David Hyde Pierce and Kelsey Grammer kept looking at me. I think they thought I could very well have been related to them. It was rather amusing.

You're brave, TB; no way would I want to be on the business end of a camera (or is it the other end-- nevermind).

To show up unannounced near the end of their run with Frasier, I could imagine your appearance would have seemed very eerie to them.  

Talk about your character embodying an actor; I can almost hear their discussion after the shooting of that episode and it wouldn't be far from a Frasier and Niles conference.  

Paramount after all is the home of many spirited sightings through the years.

Char, I'm dying to know...what was the movie you saw that was so disappointing, and who was the female star who was at first so unrecognizable?

(Not "Under the Skin"? I saw that, but I would not have recommended to anyone without about a hundred caveats...)

I can't imagine anyone wanting to make a movie about my life, as it's about as exciting as a Beatrix Potter book. Less.

But if this is a no holds barred fantasy, I would like Carole Lombard (hey, I did say "fantasy") to play me.

She'd have to sign a contract promising she'd take no plane trips during the shooting, though.

You're brave, TB; no way would I want to be on the business end of a camera (or is it the other end-- nevermind).

To show up unannounced near the end of their run with Frasier, I could imagine your appearance would have seemed very eerie to them.  

Talk about your character embodying an actor; I can almost hear their discussion after the shooting of that episode and it wouldn't be far from a Frasier and Niles conference.  

Paramount after all is the home of many spirited sightings through the years.

A friend of mine would get me on to those sets. I was on that set twice actually-- the first evening, Kelsey announced that NBC had called him earlier that day to say the show would be ending. He was a bit depressed and had wanted to do another season. He was tied with James Arness (of Gunsmoke fame) for playing a primetime character for 20 consecutive seasons (though Kelsey's was split over two series-- 9 years on 'Cheers' and 11 on 'Frasier'), so if NBC had renewed them, he would have broken Arness' record.

Anyway, when he told everyone the show was going to wrap production, he said there were another five scripts to film (but I think NBC did order an extra one, because they wanted a 90-minute finale)...and I decided to make a point of going to the set one more time before it was all over. On my second visit, I sat next to Rosie Perez who was taking notes and studying the production style, because they had hired her to guest star in the penultimate episode. I suppose if I had played my cards right, and if the show had come back for a 12the season, I could have been on there as the long-lost brother of Frasier and Niles. LOL

And you're right-- there's a lot of great history on the Paramount lot-- you sort of feel the vibe the minute you walk through the gates. I think 'Frasier' was filmed on the soundstage where 'The Lucy Show' had been filmed (Lucille Ball's first sitcom without Desi). And before that, who knows-- probably quite a few classic films were made there.

I PM'd you, Brigid...  But let's not bring it here.

TopBilled:   I have seen two shoots of Frasier episodes myself in the heyday.  I preferred to watch TV sitcoms where the actors know what they're doing and the taping is well run. Let's leave it at that. 

I had heard the production staff for Frasier (Grub Street) were at the Desilu's old offices and they were pointed out to me once unofficially.  

. I suppose if I had played my cards right, and if the show had come back for a 12the season, I could have been on there as the long-lost brother of Frasier and Niles. LOL

I certainly hope you know how THAT would've turned out, doncha TB?!

SURE, they could've written you in as Fraser's and Niles' "long-long brother", but THEN they probably would have had you don a pair of water skis and jump over a tank containing a you-know-what in Puget Sound just off Seattle!

(...and I think we ALL know what THAT means, don't WE?!) ;)

I can think of no human who would be suitable to portray me.

Perhaps a kitten would be best? They are playful and innocent and no one takes them seriously.

Here is one much as when I feel that I should be unobtrusive:

CatGlass003.gif

• Like 1

I certainly hope you know how THAT would've turned out, doncha TB?!

SURE, they could've written you in as Fraser's and Niles' "long-long brother", but THEN they probably would have had you don a pair of water skis and jump over a tank containing a you-know-what in Puget Sound just off Seattle!

(...and I think we ALL know what THAT means, don't WE?!) ;)

Umm...that I get my own spinoff...? LOL :)

By the way, someone once told me I looked like David Hyde Pierce and I laughed about it.  Then, a few years later, I went to the set of 'Frasier,' right before it ended production. During the filming (more accurately, between scenes), David Hyde Pierce and Kelsey Grammer kept looking at me. I think they thought I could very well have been related to them. It was rather amusing.

David Hyde Pierce lives up the street from me. If I see him, I'll offer him the role of TopBilled. 

I've been told by several people that I remind them of Kevin Spacey. I absolutely don't see it, but people in two countries -- US and UK -- have mentioned it independently. I think it may be more mannerisms and voice patterns than looks. So I'd offer him the gig and hope he wouldn't play it like Richard III, which was the last thing I saw him do.

• Like 2

I think I would cast a circa-1955 "Picnic" era Susan Strasberg to play me.  We kind of look similar (not identical twins, but similar enough that it would be plausible) and appear to be similar in height... yay for me, I just looked her up, 5'0.5, I am taller than her (5'2)! Woohoo.  But the height difference is a moot point.  I just watched "Picnic" for the umpteenth time and decided that my personality is very similar to her Millie character's.  It wouldn't be much of a stretch then for Strasberg to play me. 

Strasberg seems to be into angst-y characters, I don't have too much drama; but heck, it's Hollywood, we could create some just for my movie! 

• Like 1

Umm...that I get my own spinoff...? LOL :)

Well, congratulations if you do!  I wonder what your vocation would be? If you kept similar to life, plenty of creative opportunity for guest stars of some stature.

I can see in Dargo's line of thinking, I would suggest two other storylines to avoid:

1. Never marry the source of your unrequited love.

2. Never have a baby as a result.

As much as the audience wanted them to be together, the energy of the show drained after the wedding.   And I will always wonder if it was the loss of David Angell.

I haven't seen Spacey on the big screen lately, and maybe Swithin's story is a polar opposite of Frank Underwood.  And speedracer's choice of Susan Strasberg -- I love mid-Fifties era storytelling.

Well, congratulations if you do!  I wonder what your vocation would be? If you kept similar to life, plenty of creative opportunity for guest stars of some stature.

I can see in Dargo's line of thinking, I would suggest two other storylines to avoid:

1. Never marry the source of your unrequited love.

2. Never have a baby as a result.

As much as the audience wanted them to be together, the energy of the show drained after the wedding.   And I will always wonder if it was the loss of David Angell.

I haven't seen Spacey on the big screen lately, and maybe Swithin's story is a polar opposite of Frank Underwood.  And speedracer's choice of Susan Strasberg -- I love mid-Fifties era storytelling.

Kelsey said he was happy with the scripts of the final season, indicating they were a vast improvement over the previous season. So according to him, season 10 was the weakest. He also said he felt that the final episodes of 'Frasier' would be overshadowed by the final episodes of 'Friends,' which was ending its run at the same time. And that was probably true, though NBC certainly publicized the 90-minute farewell of 'Frasier' and it did well in the ratings.

I didn't mention yesterday that it was the same soundstage used for 'Cheers.' He spent 20 years on the same set. Several crew went all the way back to the beginning of 'Cheers,' and before that, 'Taxi.' So we're talking about 1978 to 2004 for some of them. In a business with high unemployment, that type of steady production is the exception to the rule. In the last couple seasons of 'Frasier,' Kelsey had turned to producing-- so he had other shows filming on the Paramount lot. His biggest non-Frasier hit was 'Girlfriends,' which ran from 2000-2008.

Thank you for the background.   Entertainment is an amazing field, and the Frasier story is the standout and not the average.  When you hear of some of the salaries, I know it's for the lean times in between.   It is always a struggle for most, and seeing the who's on top, you sometimes will scratch your head wondering about it.

Shhh....  Don't tell anyone,  TB, but I never watched Friends.    -_- 

I only have time for one favorite.   

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings