Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Carla Laemmle has died aged 104

Swithin

A sad day for lovers of classic Universal horror.  When I heard this earlier today I was actually quite surprised.  Now I know that must sound silly considering she was a 104 years old but I never actually thought about her dying.   Like Dracula, she seemed immortal to me.  Such a sweet lady who had so much love and enthusiasm for Universal and their classic horror catalog.   She wore the name Laemle with great pride ( and what was not to be proud of ! ).   She was the perfect ambassador for classic horror.  Today is a sad day for me.  Truly an end of an era.  Rip sweet lady, you will be missed. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm sorry this is so delayed, but thank you so much for posting. It truly is a loss - and I agree - it was somehow unexpected. Still, she lived a wonderful life that most of us could only dream of. And I'm sure she went exactly as she would have wanted: peacefully, in her home, as the full honey moon was at it's brightest, on Friday the 13th eve. 

• Like 1

I'm sorry this is so delayed, but thank you so much for posting. It truly is a loss - and I agree - it was somehow unexpected. Still, she lived a wonderful life that most of us could only dream of. And I'm sure she went exactly as she would have wanted: peacefully, in her home, as the full honey moon was at it's brightest, on Friday the 13th eve. 

Glad to see you commenting on this! What a life, indeed...

Nice to see you here, Antonia. I like your YouTube site, I hope everyone here visits it.

So you count among your relatives Carl Laemmle, Carl Jr. and Carla? How very cool.

Does anyone in your family have a signed photo of Bela Lugosi? He was my very first crush.

• Like 1

Nice to see you here, Antonia. I like your YouTube site, I hope everyone here visits it.

So you count among your relatives Carl Laemmle, Carl Jr. and Carla? How very cool.

Does anyone in your family have a signed photo of Bela Lugosi? He was my very first crush.

Woah, woah, woah Antonia is a relative of The Great Laemmle family????

What an amazing long life she had.  TCM should do a tribute to her.  RIP

After reading Ms. Laemmle's biography, I have to agree with you here, Ham.

AND, after reading primosprimo's following comment in this thread...

...I THINK I'm startin' too see where that whole "bad boy" fixation of hers germinated!

"Bela LUGOSI"???!!!

LOL

(...sorry primos, et al...I just couldn't resist) ;)

After reading Ms. Laemmle's biography, I have to agree with you here, Ham.

AND, after reading primosprimo's following comment in this thread...

...I THINK I'm startin' too see where that whole "bad boy" fixation of hers germinated!

"Bela LUGOSI"???!!!

LOL

(...sorry primos, et al...I just couldn't resist) ;)

No problemo, Dargo. You'd have to be female and look Bela in the eyes, and ............. well, I have to stop, I'm getting a case of the vapors. :wub:  But not to worry, after Bela came Robert Fuller in Laramie. ********   sigh    ***********

Oh, and speaking of twisted (were we?), in grammar school there was a priest who wore his hair slicked back and wore a cape. I.....kid....you.....not! :o

YEAH?! Well, what about the PRIEST'S eyes, HUH?! Any "vapors" THERE as you recall??? LOL

(...though maybe we should keep this thread focused upon Ms. Laemmle's long and most interesting life, eh?!) ;)

Yup, go here:

https://www.youtube.com/user/AntoniaCarlotta

SO cool.

Yeah I saw that right after I posted that in amazement that she looks very similar to her grandmother or Aunt. I'm not sure where she stands exactly on her family tree, but if you look at Carla in Dracula, & see Antonia's youtube video's I see a unique resemblence of Carla. What a beautiful person/family & I'm very happy to know she respects & has interest about her family's Legacy & Classic Films. I could tell right off the rip when I watched one of her youtube video's that she has total class & intelligence...something that people from my young generation lack tremendously. I can't stress enough how I was blown away not because of her family, but because she's is really pretty. It's a shame she's on the other side of the country, cause she just might be my soul mate :P lmfao Maybe, maybe not....I'm only kidding when I say that, but I do have a ton of respect for her now that I know who she is & heard her speak. I wish her & her family all the best in the world & that's the truth.

Yeah I saw that right after I posted that in amazement that she looks very similar to her grandmother or Aunt. I'm not sure where she stands exactly on her family tree, but if you look at Carla in Dracula, & see Antonia's youtube video's I see a unique resemblence of Carla. What a beautiful person/family & I'm very happy to know she respects & has interest about her family's Legacy & Classic Films. I could tell right off the rip when I watched one of her youtube video's that she has total class & intelligence...something that people from my young generation lack tremendously. I can't stress enough how I was blown away not because of her family, but because she's is really pretty. It's a shame she's on the other side of the country, cause she just might be my soul mate :P lmfao Maybe, maybe not....I'm only kidding when I say that, but I do have a ton of respect for her now that I know who she is & heard her speak. I wish her & her family all the best in the world & that's the truth.

Nice post, MultiEye, really nice. I freely admit that I am an old misanthropic curmudgeon, and I DO so admire young people (and old, don't assume all old people are sacrosanct from my witheringly caustic keyboard!) who have manners and respect decency and truthfulness and believe in the Golden Rule.

I like that Antonia admits she heard Universal this and Universal that growing up and now not only respects her heritage, but has made an effort to honor it.

I nominate her as a co-host with Ben M - what say ye? :) Her genealogy is equally impressive, and I can't think of one of Ben's relatives' leading men who have given me (as I've unabashedly shared) the vapors!

• Like 1

Nice post, MultiEye, really nice. I freely admit that I am an old misanthropic curmudgeon, and I DO so admire young people (and old, don't assume all old people are sacrosanct from my witheringly caustic keyboard!) who have manners and respect decency and truthfulness and believe in the Golden Rule.

I like that Antonia admits she heard Universal this and Universal that growing up and now not only respects her heritage, but has made an effort to honor it.

I nominate her as a co-host with Ben M - what say ye? :) Her genealogy is equally impressive, and I can't think of one of Ben's relatives' leading men who have given me (as I've unabashedly shared) the vapors!

Yes, I totally agree. I hope she reads my post because it makes it even more important & special that she knows people like you & I admire, respect & 100% understand where she's coming from. I don't know why I'm so ecstatic about this, but it's the first sign of relief that I've seen of someone else from my generation show an admiration for the classic world & film. History has always been my favorite subject, but this beautiful person I have just found out about has given me hope for the future that these landmark films & EXTREMELY important moments in time, artwork if you will, last beyond this century & the next. And in the meantime her grace & beauty fulfills me with a happiness I never knew existed till now, so I thank her for being the unique individual that she is, for we all exist & shall forever be just that.

• Like 1

I see you, MultiEye, and I am incredibly flattered!

Anytime, call me Chris if you like that better than MultiEye. lol I speak what I truely believe in, & when I see what you're doing on youtube, I totally support your interests 110%. Unfortunately I haven't created anything for youtube yet, but when it comes to music & movies, there's nobody else out there with a real diverse taste as I do, & REALLY know & understand what's good & bad, & what's really done for art or just for money. I'm glad you see where I'm coming from I hope. We should definitely talk more often, I'll be more than happy to share some more of my ideas & interests that I have a good feeling you'd really appreciate. Hell it might even inpisre somebody & in that case, what do we got to lose?? lol B)

Yeah, & get this....Lupita Tovar is the original Actress from the Spanish 1931 vesrsion of Dracula & is still alive & is pretty much the same age as the late great Carla Laemmle, she's 103. I just found out that bit of info in my current research of the Classic Horror favorites. Here is her wiki page if anyone's interrested - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lupita_Tovar

Lupita-Tovar-Argentinean-Magazine-May-19dracula_hispano4.jpgLupita-Tovar.jpg