Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Egregious Examples of Miscasting

Palmerin

Not only was Brando all wrong as Napoleon and Fletcher Christian, he was actually considered for the roles of Roosevelt in SUNRISE AT CAMPOBELLO and Rasputin in NICHOLAS AND ALEXANDRA!

What other outrageous examples of miscasting do you recall?

Holden in picnic. 

351y64h.jpg         

Holden in Picnic? I think he's wonderful in that film, even if you might argue that he's a little older than might ideally be the case.

Hopelessly miscast? I'll go with an obvious one and select Gregory Peck in Duel in the Sun.

Brando's Napoleon was painful (for him as well as us) but I thought his Fletcher Christian was totally fine.

Elia Kazan's 'The Arrangement' (1969) was the most miscast lead ever. A terrific novel that should have become a good movie was completely undermined by the casting of Kirk Douglas. Jason Robards was born to play the role of Eddie Anderson and I'll always consider it a tragedy that Kazan either couldn't see that or that he couldn't get him. In any case, the movie didn't work at all with Douglas - complete floperoo.

Not only was Brando all wrong as Napoleon and Fletcher Christian, he was actually considered for the roles of Roosevelt in SUNRISE AT CAMPOBELLO and Rasputin in NICHOLAS AND ALEXANDRA!

I've always liked Brando in Mutiny on the Bounty. I think that the anger that slowly bumbles and starts to build beneath his seemingly placid surface is beautifully conveyed. Along with De Niro, few actors exploded on screen for me with quite the same impact as Brando (thinking One Eyed Jacks, as well as Bounty).

I've always liked Brando in Mutiny on the Bounty. I think that the anger that slowly bumbles and starts to build beneath his seemingly placid surface is beautifully conveyed. Along with De Niro, few actors exploded on screen for me with quite the same impact as Brando (thinking One Eyed Jacks, as well as Bounty).

I think so too. Brando is brilliant as Fletcher Christian and how many american actors coulda handled a british accent as well as Brando did? What screwed it up was Brando becoming too sullen after the mutiny. I mean he got even with Bligh for kicking the ladle outta his hand, didn't he? 

Whether or not you like Brando's performance in MOTB, I don't think he's miscast at all.

I can very easily see him as Rasputin.  Is his Nightcomers character really all that different?

I can even see Brando giving FDR a shot.

Brando's Napoleon was painful (for him as well as us) 

IMHO his Napoleon is the best thing in the film

Elia Kazan's 'The Arrangement' (1969) was the most miscast lead ever. A terrific novel that should have become a good movie was completely undermined by the casting of Kirk Douglas. Jason Robards was born to play the role of Eddie Anderson and I'll always consider it a tragedy that Kazan either couldn't see that or that he couldn't get him. In any case, the movie didn't work at all with Douglas - complete floperoo

Kazan wanted Brando, who supposedly agreed to play the role but withdrew shortly afterward.

Okay. While I usually love Edward G. Robinson is just about anything he was ever in, I'll let Billy Crystal here tell ya how I always had a tough time figurin' out Eddie's casting in a certain religious themed movie that the ABC network shows every Easter...

:D

OH, and before we get to the issue of all the caucasian actors who played roles of a different race than their own here(and the subsequent can o' worms that THAT topic will inevitably cause in this baby...JUST wait and see!!! LOL)...how about the All-American Boy(and who I usually find somewhat boring) Kevin Costner donning those green tights in 1991's "Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves"???

(...now HE couldn't come of as "British" if he started spelling EVERY word in the English language with that superfluous letter 'u' they like to use over there, RIGHT???!!!)

LOL 

Paul Newman as ze Mehican bandeeto in The Outrage

Would you believe he had me convinced? I sat watching that movie, thinking, "didn't the credits say Paul Newman was in this?" Pretty bad, eh?

Hey, Dargo, speaking of Robin Hood, how do you think the 1938 film would have worked with James Cagney instead of Flynn? (As was the original plan) Personally I think it would have been better. The way it ended up you couldn't really accuse it of miscasting, but perhaps safe casting. ;)

how do you think the 1938 film would have worked with James Cagney instead of Flynn? (As was the original plan) Personally I think it would have been better. The way it ended up you couldn't really accuse it of miscasting, but perhaps safe casting. ;)

IMHO it would have been fun, but a different dynamic: Cagney as outsider rather than Flynn's insider forced out.

Would you believe he had me convinced? I sat watching that movie, thinking, "didn't the credits say Paul Newman was in this?" Pretty bad, eh?

Hey, Dargo, speaking of Robin Hood, how do you think the 1938 film would have worked with James Cagney instead of Flynn? (As was the original plan) Personally I think it would have been better. The way it ended up you couldn't really accuse it of miscasting, but perhaps safe casting. ;)

Okay, "Kay"! Now are you REALLY "crazyblonde" of old here??? ;)

'Cause crazyblonde said this very thing months ago, and sorry, I had to disagree with her about this, and because, first, NOBODY could have been better than Errol Flynn in that role(in my opinion, of course), and secondly, while I'll grant that Cagney was great in almost everything HE was ever in too, there's just NO way in you-know-where that the guy who specialized in the roles of "modern American STREET toughs" could have come off as a subject of King Richard the Lionhearted as well as the Tasmanian-born Flynn did.

(...and besides, Rathbone would have TOWERED over the guy!!!) LOL

Edited by Dargo

Holden in Picnic? I think he's wonderful in that film, even if you might argue that he's a little older than might ideally be the case.

Hopelessly miscast? I'll go with an obvious one and select Gregory Peck in Duel in the Sun.

I loved Holden in "Picnic."  I agree that it seems unlikely that he would be a college classmate of Cliff Robertson's; but I didn't find that that hurt the film any.  "Picnic" is one of my favorite films. 

I am going to say:

-John Wayne as Genghis Kahn in "The Conqueror" (I think someone already mentioned it)

-Mickey Rooney as Mr. Yunioshi in "Breakfast at Tiffany's"  I know this opened a whole can of worms in another thread a few months ago.  But I stand by it. 

-Humphrey Bogart as John Murrell and Miriam Hopkins as Julia Hayne in "Virginia City."  While I enjoy the film on a whole, mostly because of Errol Flynn, Alan Hale and Guinn "Big Boy" Williams, I think they could have found someone better for the role of the Mexican outlaw, John Murrell and I just did not buy that Flynn would be attracted to Hopkins--she's too plain Jane.  I really didn't like her at all.  If the film were just to miscast one role, I'd rather it be Bogart's than her.  At least Bogart is interesting. 

-Vince Vaughn as Norman Bates in the "Psycho" remake.  First of all, the remake was completely unnecessary, especially since it was remade shot for shot.  Vince Vaughn just doesn't have the same quality as Anthony Perkins did to make you creeped out by Norman Bates but also feel bad for him at the same time.

I'm kind of repeating myself because I said this over at the 'Shining' thread - but to me Jack Nicholson was completely miscast as Jack Torrance. I do realize that a lot of people love him in the role - find his over-the-top scenery chewing to be highly entertaining - but in my opinion it's the wrong way to play the part and I believe the movie is made worse for it. I don't know if Nicholson was forced on Kubrick, but if he was it might explain why the whole thing turned out to be as disappointing as it did.

Nicholson was much, much better in his other horror film 'Wolf' (1994).

I-Humphrey Bogart as John Murrell and Miriam Hopkins as Julia Hayne in "Virginia City."  While I enjoy the film on a whole, mostly because of Errol Flynn, Alan Hale and Guinn "Big Boy" Williams, I think they could have found someone better for the role of the Mexican outlaw, John Murrell

Bogart's problem in VC is his accent --- he has it in some scenes but not others. You expect some sort of dialogue saying he's masqueradiing as a Mexican to hide from the army or something, but there is never any explanation

and I just did not buy that Flynn would be attracted to Hopkins--she's too plain Jane.  I really didn't like her at all.  If the film were just to miscast one role, I'd rather it be Bogart's than her.  At least Bogart is interesting

Flynn agreed to do VC on the basis that Olivia DeHavilland would play the role. She was replaced shortly before filming by Hopkins, who owed Warners one last commitment. Flynn tried to get MH fired, which did not help the already tense atmosphere on the set. Their total lack of onscreen chemistry rivals Of Human Bondage's infamous Laurence Harvey and Kim Novak for the allttime Odd Couple award. IIRC in the last shot -- where you'd expect a clinch -- they are not even looking at each other but gazing off in different directions

Flynn claimed Hopkins was his least favorite leading lady, and that it wasn't close. She was Bette Davis' least favorite co-star as well.

I feel inclined to mention Humphrey Bogart in "Dark Victory" even though he was hilarious and turned out to be my favorite thing in the film. It's usually a recipe for disaster when a big star is asked to do an accent, but there certainly are a lot of priceless actor/accent combinations, like the aforementioned Brando in "Mutiny on the Bounty."

I don't think if was a case.of.Ginger.being.miscast,.rather that she overacted.dreadfully. Her being cast as a Broadway star seems plausible.

Yea,  I was about to post the same thing;    Ginger should have been able to pull off the role of a middle aged Broadway star,  but for some reason Ginger does a poor job.   I don't know if she was bored or just didn't respond to the director but her performance isn't very good.

Jason Robards as Al Capone in the St. Valentine's Day Massacre (1967).  Capone was short and fat.  Robards is thin and, although imdb lists him as 5'8 1/2", his long thin face makes him seem taller.

Rod Steiger was my favorite Al Capone (Al Capone, 1959).