Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Looking for title of a mystery aired on PBS circa 1980

LsDoorMat

The drama was made with British actors and actresses, none of whose names I can recall. The story was this - a middle aged thin very ordinary looking doctor is having an affair with a very beautiful brunette. I believe it was set in the 1920s. He and his wife have been living under the same roof but living separate lives for years. He asks her for a divorce to marry the brunette. She agrees but first she wants to meet the woman and be assured she is of good character. The wife does not like the brunette and then refuses the divorce. The doctor's wife has had migraines for years. The doctor then slowly begins to poison her with increasing doses of morphine until she is an addict and ultimately dies of her addiction. He is cleared in her death, and then asks the brunette to marry him. When she finds out he killed her she freaks out. The doctor, then turns his attentions to an old mistress, a blonde. I think the blonde was then married and the doctor found a way to kill her husband too - cant really remember. Then he winds up on trial for either the murder of the blonde's husband or the murder of his wife - he is acquitted. However, the brunette gets married in the meantime and her husband dies from bad drinking water. The brunette accuses the doctor of her husband's death. This time he is convicted and executed, but for the wrong murder.

I know a lot of this does not make sense but I'm operating with a memory of something I saw 33-34 years ago. Does anybody remember this and its title or any of the players in the drama? Thanks ahead for any help rendered.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings