Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

THE MISFITS

HoldenIsHere

I tuned into THE MISFITS about midway through the movie.

This happens to me with a lot of movies that air on TCM. Argh!

Anyway . . . the part that really struck me was when Clark Gable was calling for his kids to come back.

I've never been a big fan of Gable as an actor (although I can see why he was a popular movie star), but he was really heartbreaking in that scene in THE MISFITS.

Emotional outbursts in and of themselves don't equate to good acting, but there was something real that Gable connected to there, and it got me.

It always makes me a little sad to see Montgomery Clift in movies made after his accident. THE MISFITS was no exception.

I thought the ending with Marilyn Monroe cuddling next to Clark Gable as they drive toward the star was perfect. The movie ends with the shot of the star and no "THE END" tacked on. I loved it.

PS. I see THE MISFITS is available on WATCH TCM on Demand until June 21. :)

I really like "The Misfits." I agree that it is rather sad to see Clift's appearance post accident; however, it's not as if he were disfigured, it's just that his very handsome, boyish face has been replaced with a more rugged one--scars and all. It's too bad he had all his addiction and emotional problems after the fact. In fact, Marilyn Montoe described him as "The only person I know with more problems than I have." He could have reinvented himself as a character actor. I liked that the film had Clift playing a rodeo star-- which would explain his rough appearance. I would expect rodeo performers to have some cuts and scars.

I've never really been a huge Gable fan, however, of the films I've seen him in, he's always turned in a great performance--"The Misfits " being no exception. In fact, I think "The Misfits" is probably one of his best. It's too bad that he died so shortly after filming completed.

As for Monroe, I find that I enjoy her performances more when she's not playing her typical dingy blonde with the wispy voice routine-- except for in "Some Like it Hot" it works there. In "The Misfits," she does have the voice somewhat, but she's a stronger character. I also like that she has Thelma Ritter there to support and guide her.

I really enjoy John Huston's films and this one is among his best.

It's too bad that within 5 years, the 3 major stars will be gone.

The Misfits is one of those films that is a great example for a thread I've sometimes thought of starting but never have, in part because the concept is hard to boil down into a title (and in part 'cause I don't think anyone would be interested) :

Films where everyone talks about one actor's performance,  but the REAL star of the pick-chuh is:

Usually, when people refer to The Misfits, they mention it was Marilyn Monroe's final film and some even say her best work. She is terrific and it is definitely one of her best turns. After that, maybe they'll drop a line or two about Arthur Miller or Monty Clift, but the first time I saw the film (which was only a year or two ago, in spite of being a big Marilyn fan) I was FLOORED by the work of CLARK GABLE.

His is the revelatory- and best- performance in the picture. He reaches into himself and pulls things out he never used before (and sadly was fated to never use again). He checks his ego and STAR PERSONA at the door (to some degree) playing a more vulnerable character than ever before, one who could even be called "a loser"- not a term used for anyone else he ever played. (and he does win out in the end.)

So yeah- while it's a good film with some great performances- the real standout and memory I have burned into my brain is the work of Gable who truly gave one of the best performances by an actor in 1961.

• Like 1

So yeah- while it's a good film with some great performances- the real standout and memory I have burned into my brain is the work of Gable who truly gave one of the best performances by an actor in 1961.

Yes, I totally agree,  LHF.

And the standout moment for me is the scene I mentioned in my original post: the one with Gable calling out for his children.

He lets us see in THE MISFITS a real and vulnerable human being that he never did in my opinion in any other movies of his I've seen.

I think he must have trusted John Huston a lot for the "movie star" to reveal that kind of vulnerability.

• Like 1

Steve Hayes has written two books about the Hollywood personalities that he met or knew, called Googies Coffeeshop to the Stars.

Among his anecdotes was that of encountering an exhausted Clark Gable sitting alone on a Paramount sound stage one evening. In the course of their conversation, Gable stated that he considered the just-completed Misfits to be his best work since Gone With the Wind.

Gable had his fatal heart attack about one week later.

Yes, I totally agree,  LHF.

And the standout moment for me is the scene I mentioned in my original post: the one with Gable calling out for his children.

He lets us see in THE MISFITS a real and vulnerable human being that he never did in my opinion in any other movies of his I've seen.

I think he must have trusted John Huston a lot for the "movie star" to reveal that kind of vulnerability.

Okay, WAIT a sec here, Holden my friend!

While I know it's now "trendy" to dis GWTW, TELL ME here dude, doncha think Gable's little scene were DeHavilland gets him to allow his daughter to finally be buried, show JUST "a LITTLE bit" of his abilities to realistically project that there whole "real and vulnerable" thing you're talkin' about here, dude???????????

(...in other words, Clark WAS a MUCH better actor than many people ever gave him credit for, and could HE help it if he was always straddled with that whole "ultimate masculine role model" thing and in an era when THAT concept was "in vogue", and thus mostly given scripts which pressed that whole idea?!!!)

Is that Steve Hayes who has The Tired Old Queen at the Movies show on youtube?

Anything but. He lived a very hetero lifestyle during the Hollywood of the '50s, being friends with Ava Gardner, among others, and even living in Errol Flynn's home for a short while.

Anything but. He lived a very hetero lifestyle during the Hollywood of the '50s, being friends with Ava Gardner, among others, and even living in Errol Flynn's home for a short while.

And thus gettin' some of Errol's..ahem.."leftovers" MAYBE, Tom???!!! ;)

(...sorry, I couldn't resist...and besides, I'm STILL waitin' for a reply from Holden here about my defense of Gable, and so I had nothin' better to do than to crack wise YET again!!!)

ROFL

And thus gettin' some of Errol's "residuals" MAYBE, Tom???!!! ;)

(...sorry, I couldn't resist...and besides, I'm STILL waitin' for a reply from Holden here about my defense of Gable, and so I had nothin' better to do than to crack wise YET again!!!)

ROFL

Hayes never claimed that but Flynn did take him on the Hollywood nightclub scene with him. Women (and trouble some of the time) flocked to Flynn and I'm sure that Haynes, a strapping big good looking guy in those days, wasn't shy about introducing himself to the ladies.

Hayes never claimed that but Flynn did take him on the Hollywood nightclub scene with him. Women (and trouble some of the time) flocked to Flynn and I'm sure that Haynes, a strapping big good looking guy in those days, wasn't shy about introducing himself to the ladies.

Gotta say, Steve sounds like a pretty good guy, alright....though I'd REALLY take my hat off to the guy if he was MORE than just "friends" with AVA GARDNER!!!

Any word on THAT front???   ;)

(...or should we maybe stay on topic here about Gable, Monty and Marilyn...yeah..."maybe" we should just do that, huh!) ;)

LOL

Gotta say, Steve sounds like a pretty good guy, alright....though I'd REALLY take my hat off to the guy if he was MORE than just "friends" with AVA GARDNER!!!

Any word on THAT front???   ;)

(...or should we maybe stay on topic here about Gable, Monty and Marilyn...yeah..."maybe" we should just do that, huh!) ;)

LOL

Well, if that's the case, Hayes was friends with Monroe, as well. In one of his two books he talks about an evening in which he comforted her as she opened up to him about problems in the Dimaggio marriage. And, no, just in case you're wondering, the 'comforting" was strictly of the emotional support variety, not the physical.

Well, if that's the case, Hayes was friends with Monroe, as well. In one of his two books he talks about an evening in which he comforted her as she opened up to him about problems in the Dimaggio marriage. And, no, just in case you're wondering, the 'comforting" was strictly of the emotional support variety, not the physical.

Eeh! I HATE to hear about people and their "missed opportunities"!!! LOL

(...though in MY case, I can kinda see why Steve took "The High Road" here, as Marilyn never did a THING for me EITHER...I like'a the brunettes, as I'm sure I've made abundantly clear by now around here) ;)

Oh.

Well, for the record, there is a guy named Steve  Hayes who has a youtube show called Tired Old Queen at the Movies; he profiles a lot of terrific classic films and gives DVD reviews and is pretty funny.

Okay, WAIT a sec here, Holden my friend!

While I know it's now "trendy" to dis GWTW, TELL ME here dude, doncha think Gable's little scene were DeHavilland gets him to allow his daughter to finally be buried, show JUST "a LITTLE bit" of his abilities to realistically project that there whole "real and vulnerable" thing you're talkin' about here, dude???????????

(...in other words, Clark WAS a MUCH better actor than many people ever gave him credit for, and could HE help it if he was always straddled with that whole "ultimate masculine role model" thing and in an era when THAT concept was "in vogue", and thus mostly given scripts which pressed that whole idea?!!!)

Dargo, in that scene from GONE WITH THE WIND I just see the movie star Gable "acting" emotion --- unlike the heartwrenching scene in THE MISFITS where he appears to be experiencing real sorrow. 

Clearly Gable had the abilty to reveal vulnerability but he apparently chose to project his "movie star" persona in most his performances.

Oh.

Well, for the record, there is a guy named Steve  Hayes who has a youtube show called Tired Old Queen at the Movies; he profiles a lot of terrific classic films and gives DVD reviews and is pretty funny.

Yes, Lorna, I've seen him. Definitely not the same guy.

You sounda lil Italeano there. You surea your pic shouldn't be Chico, rather than Groucho?

LOL

Oh, I canna do'a a pretty mean'a Chico impression'a TOO in'a pinch'a, Tomasito!!!

(...in fact'a, we could'a sign'a a contract and take'a my act on'a the road, JUST as long'a as you'a don'a try slippin' in'a some kinda "Sanity Claus" into it!!!) ;)

(...in fact'a, we could'a sign'a a contract and take'a my act on'a the road, JUST as long'a as you'a don'a try slippin' in'a some kinda "Sanity Claus" into it!!!) ;)

Ha! You can't fool me. There ain't no . . . Oh wait, I guess you've heard that one before. ;)

Dargo, in that scene from GONE WITH THE WIND I just see the movie star Gable "acting" emotion --- unlike the heartwrenching scene in THE MISFITS where he appears to be experiencing real sorrow. 

Clearly Gable had the abilty to reveal vulnerability but he apparently chose to project his "movie star" persona in most his performances.

Thanks for your reply, Holden. I suppose on the whole you MIGHT be right, but as I earlier stated, I think in many cases it was just the scripts he was handed that probably had penciled in on the top of 'em somethin' like:

"Give me a Clark Gable-type for the lead in this if he isn't available."

I don't mean to be indelicate. But has anyone beside myself ever noticed that one of Marilyn Monroe's areolas is exposed for half a second in The Misfits?

It occurs in the scene in which Gable, after calling out for his kids and falling off the car onto the street, has Marilyn screaming, running around to him and then bending over.

I was surprised at what I thought I saw momentarily appear out of MM's low cut dress. But, strictly in the name of scientific investigation, mind you, I backed up by DVD recorder's image and, sure enough, one Monroe breast does start to emerge, with part of her **** momentarily exposed.

This I find fascinating since this occurs in a major motion picture to a major sex symbol star and the editor/director didn't catch it. Mind you, it happens so fast that only someone with modern stop motion digital technology can really know for a fact that it did happen.

Sorry about that brief interruption. Now back to the subject of Gable's performance . . .

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings