Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

William Lundigan

I saw a film with William Lundigan about the Fabulous Dorsey Brothers - it also had Janet Blair in it.

Can you recommend any other good films with William Lundigan?   I saw the House on Telegraph Hill with Richard Basehart and William Lundigan too. 

He certainly was a very good looking man, but wasn't familiar with his film career.

He would have been 100 years old on June 12th

His best.role imho, was in I'D CLIMB THE HIGHEST MOUNTAIN (1951), being shown occasionally on FMC. He plays a minister in rural Georgia early in the last.century. Susan Hayward plays his wife. Other films seen sometimes on Fox include PINKY (1949), MOTHER DIDNT TELL ME (1950), I'LL GET BY (1950), ELOPEMENT (1951), LOVE NEST (1951), DOWN AMONG THE SHELTERING PALMS (1953),.and.INFERNO (1953).

I have a dvd set of episodes of a 1950s anthology series,.Climax,.where Lundigan was host. Not sure if he acted in some of them as.well, but I dont think so.

Arturo, I love the William Lundigan movies you mentioned.  I had never stopped to think about all the wondertful movies he's made.  He never reached the status of superstardom, but he always seemed to be a reliable leading man.  And he often played nice guys.  For some reason, I like that in him.  I recently watched again "I'd Climb the Highest Mountain" and had forgotten just how wonderful it was.  I also enjoyed Rory Calhoun in that one.  Thanks again for the reminders.

Terrence.

In his early performances Lundigan sometimes rushed through his lines, as if he had an urgent appointment and had to get off the set as quickly as possible.

His best.role imho, was in I'D CLIMB THE HIGHEST MOUNTAIN (1951), being shown occasionally on FMC. He plays a minister in rural Georgia early in the last.century.

Yes, this was his best role. He also did an interesting film noir called Follow Me Quietly.

As a kid, I remember William Lundigan from his hosting the Climax Anthology during the "Golden Age", but darned if I can remember a film he was in (and yes, I admit to not seeing Pinky..... yet). But I remember him as being smooth and attractive host. I don't remember him acting in them, Arturo.  I'll look for I'd Climb the Highest Mountain with Susan Hayward.

Arturo rightfully mentioned Lundigan's Fox output (and most of it is very good-- I'm partial to INFERNO and I'D CLIMB THE HIGHEST MOUNTAIN).

But Lundigan had a lengthy tenure in Hollywood before signing with Fox.  Starting in 1937, he made B films at Universal (one of those was a picture with director James Whale), then he moved over to Warners where he was doing small parts in big budget films-- he is a dashing young lover in THE OLD MAID, starring Bette Davis and Miriam Hopkins; and he is in three Errol Flynn pictures (DODGE CITY which is his first appearance in Technicolor I think; THE SEA HAWK and SANTA FE TRAIL). Then, Warners gave him leads in B films.  But soon he moved over to MGM, where he was again doing leads in B films and short films.  His contract was dropped by an angry Louis Mayer when he enlisted in the war, who had planned to build him into a 'star.'

After the war, he wound up freelancing with United Artists and RKO before signing with Fox by the end of the decade. He probably enjoyed working for Zanuck (as opposed to Mayer) because Zanuck had also gone off to war. At Fox, he was often the male lead in medium budget programmers and many of those were hits. After his days at Fox in the mid-50s, he worked for Columbia-- then headed into television.  So he really did it all, and he worked for all the major studios. 

Since he worked for all the studios, many of his films are in the Turner Library and he shows up on TCM quite often-- especially in those B films from earlier in his motion picture career.  One of his RKO projects, made before he went to Fox, is the excellent film noir FOLLOW ME QUIETLY. It is scheduled for September 10th.  Do not miss it.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings