2. THE HAPPY TIME (1952)

3. THEY DRIVE BY NIGHT (1940)

4. THE WOMAN IN THE WINDOW (1944)

5. NO, MY DARLING DAUGHTER! (1961)

6. MAN BAIT (1952)

7. THE WIZARD OF OZ (1939)

9. THE YEARLING (1947)

10. THE CHAMP (1931)

For some reason, #8 is not showing (and it could very well be FATHER OF THE BRIDE). THE WOMAN IN THE WINDOW has rebounded, climbing from number 10 the day before, back up to #4. This marks six days in a row that this film has been a most-searched title.

THE WIZARD OF OZ usually airs once or twice a year, in the summer. THE CHAMP is in heavy rotation every year on TCM. MAN BAIT has not aired yet (it is scheduled for the evening of June 16), so expect it to show up again. 

The AFI special is a new production in honor of Jane Fonda. It will not air on TCM until August 1.

For June 16, 2014

1. BLACKOUT (1954)

2. MAN BAIT (1952)

3. 55 DAYS AT PEKING (1963)

4. STOLEN FACE (1952)

5. DRAGONWYCK (1946)

6. JANE EYRE (1944)

7. THE YEARLING (1947)

8. THE UNHOLY FOUR (1954)

9. THE WOMAN IN THE WINDOW (1944)

10. THE WIZARD OF OZ (1939)

THE WOMAN IN THE WINDOW seems to be setting some sort of record. It has been in the top ten for seven days in a row, and very seldom does a title remain among the most-searched for a straight week.

All four Hammer noir titles directed by Terence Fisher, that aired last night on TCM, hit the top ten-- with BLACKOUT ranking highest. MAN BAIT appears for two days running, as do THE YEARLING and THE WIZARD OF OZ. 

Both DRAGONWYCK and JANE EYRE were not broadcast on TCM, but on FXM Retro (where they have been in heavy rotation since the beginning of the year). Meanwhile, 55 DAYS AT PEKING claims the number three spot-- the film has aired a few times already on TCM this year.

For June 17, 2014

1. RANDOM HARVEST (1942)

2. FANNY (1961)

3. WITNESS FOR THE PROSECUTION (1957)

4. SAYONARA (1957)

5. BLACKOUT (1954)

6. MAN BAIT (1952)

7. THE MERRY WIDOW (1934)

8. CAMELOT (1967)

9. THE WOMAN IN THE WINDOW (1944)

10. CHITTY CHITTY BANG BANG (1968)

THE WOMAN IN THE WINDOW holds steady at number nine, making it eight days in a row this film has been a most-searched title on the TCM database.  Incredible!

BLACKOUT has slipped from number one to the number five spot. MAN BAIT comes in at number 6, giving it three days on the top ten.

CHITTY CHITTY BANG BANG which earns the tenth slot will be rebroadcast on TCM later this month.

For June 18, 2014

1. THE CADDY (1953)

2. BAND OF ANGELS (1957)

3. RANDOM HARVEST (1942)

4. ANGELS WITH DIRTY FACES (1938)

5. JUMP INTO HELL (1955)

6. DARK VICTORY (1939)

7. SAYONARA (1957)

8. CALL HER SAVAGE (1932)

9. LAURA (1944)

10. BOMBSHELL (1933)

THE WOMAN IN THE WINDOW drops out after eight consecutive days.  THE CADDY assumes the top spot, after news yesterday that the Jerry Lewis comedy will air on TCM in September. 

RANDOM HARVEST falls from number one to number three. Meanwhile, ANGELS WITH DIRTY FACES ranks high although it has not aired recently-- probably buoyed by TCM running Pat O'Brien in a similar role yesterday as FIGHTING FATHER DUNNE.

CALL HER SAVAGE makes the list.  Like the Jerry Lewis title, news came yesterday that it will air on TCM in September. BOMBSHELL will also air in September.

For June 19, 2014

1. DEVOTION (1946)

2. PILLOW TALK (1959)

3. IF WINTER COMES (1948)

4. WITNESS FOR THE PROSECUTION (1957)

5. STOLEN FACE (1952)

6. SLIGHTLY DANGEROUS (1943)

7. MRS. MINIVER (1942)

8. RANDOM HARVEST (1942)

9. NIGHT MUST FALL (1937)

10. SLIGHTLY DANGEROUS (1943)

If this data is any indication, the Dame May Whitty tribute was an overwhelming success.  Five of her films were among the ten most searched titles on the TCM database. No idea why SLIGHTLY DANGEROUS appears twice on the list (perhaps there are two entries for the film in the database?).  

RANDOM HARVEST, which does not feature May Whitty, falls to number eight-- making it the third day in a row the title has charted. 

Only one of Rock Hudson's films-- the crowd pleaser PILLOW TALK-- made the list. Surprising that a morning tribute for an underrated (and under-publicized) character actress went over better than TCM's much-hyped June Star of the Month.

Maybe it's time for TCM to make a character actor Star of the Month...and get away from the vacuous starlets and wooden pretty boys for a change...

• Like 1

TB,

When I have searched titles, sometimes there are more than one movie with the same title. Since the showing of the Lana Turner comedy, people might have looked it up and maybe clicked into another film with the same name, enough so to rank that separate entry as well.

Also, I had noticed that there is a lag of about a day, or the cutoff might be early enough for most of the primetime schedule isn't immediately reflected. More of Rock's movies shown last night might soon makethe list, maybe today.

TB,

When I have searched titles, sometimes there are more than one movie with the same title. Since the showing of the Lana Turner comedy, people might have looked it up and maybe clicked into another film with the same name, enough so to rank that separate entry as well.

Also, I had noticed that there is a lag of about a day, or the cutoff might be early enough for most of the primetime schedule isn't immediately reflected. More of Rock's movies shown last night might soon makethe list, maybe today.

Arturo,

Thanks for the feedback. Sometimes a title will chart a day or two in advance of its TCM airing, either because people are looking ahead with the schedule, or because of the trailers and Word of Mouth segments TCM shows in advance to herald an upcoming broadcast.  So I think that since I am looking at data that has technically posted a day afterward, it is authentic data.  Now, for instance, if some of the late night Rock Hudson films wound up on DVRs, and people will not get to those until the weekend, then I am sure those titles will eventually make the top ten.  If they do not make the top ten, we can surmise that the interest was not high enough, compared to the Dame May Whitty films.  

What I really think happened with Rock (to some extent) is that the Doris Day comedies, with the exception of PILLOW TALK, all aired back in April for Doris' 90th birthday tribute. I think those films have reached a saturation point.  Just my theory.  And COME SEPTEMBER, which does not have Doris in the cast, aired not long ago for a Gina Lollobrigida tribute, plus it is coming up again. 

As for SLIGHTLY DANGEROUS, I clicked on the links for both mentions in the top ten, and both links went to the 1943 version starring Lana Turner.  So I have a feeling that title is in the database twice (someone goofed). My guess is that if you add the number of times people searched using the first link, plus the number of times people searched using the second link, that would give SLIGHTLY DANGEROUS a much higher total and it would easily be near the top of the list.

For June 20, 2014

1. THE SEA HAWK (1940)

2. AGAINST ALL FLAGS (1952)

3. LAURA (1944)

4. THE BIG SLEEP (1946)

5. CAPTAIN BLOOD (1935)

6. THE PRIVATE LIFE OF SHERLOCK HOLMES (1970)

7. IF WINTER COMES (1948)

8. BLOW UP (1966)

10. PILLOW TALK (1959)

A Dame May Whitty film continues to rank higher than a Rock Hudson film, as both IF WINTER COMES and PILLOW TALK remain on the list but drop several notches. At least three Errol Flynn titles are among the most-searched, proving that Flynn is undoubtedly more popular than Hudson.

Number nine is a mystery.  Billy Wilder's version of SHERLOCK HOLMES does well.  And BLOW UP comes in at number eight, due to advertising for tonight's broadcast of The Essentials. 

For June 21, 2014

1. BLOW UP (1966)

2. THE GROUP (1966)

3. GEORGY GIRL (1966)

4. THE SEA HAWK (1940)

5. CAPTAIN BLOOD (1935)

6. KEY LARGO (1948)

7. PILLOW TALK (1959)

8. BULLITT (1968)

9. THE BIG COUNTRY (1958)

10. CURSE OF THE WEREWOLF (1961)

Three films from '66 are the most-searched titles on the TCM database. BLOW UP jumps up from number eight to the top spot, no doubt helped by its airing last night on the Essentials. THE GROUP is on the September schedule, and GEORGY GIRL just recently aired.

Two Errol Flynn titles make the survey. One of them, CAPTAIN BLOOD, holds steady with its number five ranking from the day before. Meanwhile, PILLOW TALK rebounds from the tenth spot up to number seven, making it three days in a row that the Rock Hudson-Doris Day comedy has charted.

Next, we have BULLITT, a Steve McQueen crime drama that aired yesterday on TCM. And worth noting is the fact that the last two spots on the list are held by films that have aired on other networks. Ninth-placed THE BIG COUNTRY has been running on PBS stations. And number ten, CURSE OF THE WEREWOLF, was on ME-TV last night.

Okay TB. Sorry, but I GOTTA ask here:

What's with all this "ratings" stuff lately?

What?! Now that Casey Kasem has bit the dust, you're now angling for his old spot or somethin'???

(...well, if you DO get the gig, don't use that "Keep your feet on the ground, etc" thing as your sigh-off TOO, 'cause I hear that tall blonde trophy wife bimbo he married can be one tough AND litigious cookie, ya know!) ;)

LOL

• Like 1

For June 21, 2014

1. BLOW UP (1966)

2. THE GROUP (1966)

3. GEORGY GIRL (1966)

4. THE SEA HAWK (1940)

5. CAPTAIN BLOOD (1935)

6. KEY LARGO (1948)

7. PILLOW TALK (1959)

8. BULLITT (1968)

9. THE BIG COUNTRY (1958)

10. CURSE OF THE WEREWOLF (1961)

Very interesting list. I love The Group, which finally aired on TCM a couple of years ago. As I recall, few posters shared my enthusiasm, largely because they felt it didn't have a traditional narrative.  I think it's a moving film about how even rich and well educated young women were relegated to traditional roles, in the 1930s. I also love it for it's depiction of the NYC of the period, and for the terrific young cast, almost all of whom achieved fame and major careers. Curse of the Werewolf is another good film with an interesting take on the werewolf story and a very good young Oliver Reed, years before his Gerald Crich fame. 

So here is a question I think would be more relevant...

How many actual people are searching for a movie title?

Its one thing to suggest that a certain movie holds the top three spots or even the top spot for a period of time. But just how do the count the number of people actually searching and why can they not publish that number?

Maybe there is no way of tracking this number, but I would sure like to know what the actual number of searches are. Because I'd be curious to see what the actual number is and if it correlates to the actual number of visitors to the TCM Message Board.

So here is a question I think would be more relevant...

How many actual people are searching for a movie title?

Maybe there is no way of tracking this number, but I would sure like to know what the actual number of searches are.

SURE there is, Rey!

Here's the toll-free phone number for the NSA:

(800) 555-1810

(...just tell 'em Dargo sent ya...well, no, on second thought, don't)

Very interesting list. I love The Group, which finally aired on TCM a couple of years ago. As I recall, few posters shared my enthusiasm, largely because they felt it didn't have a traditional narrative.  I think it's a moving film about how even rich and well educated young women were relegated to traditional roles, in the 1930s. I also love it for it's depiction of the NYC of the period, and for the terrific young cast, almost all of whom achieved fame and major careers. Curse of the Werewolf is another good film with an interesting take on the werewolf story and a very good young Oliver Reed, years before his Gerald Crich fame. 

I like THE GROUP, too.  Anything with Jessica Walter is going to be good. I am not an expert on period design and certainly no expert on New York, but I found it all entirely believable.  The elliptical narrative held me interest, because I was unable to predict the outcomes for almost all of them.  Thoroughly enjoyable from start to finish.

For June 22, 2014

1. ON THE TOWN (1949)

2. SUSAN SLADE (1961)

3. BLOW UP (1966)

4. SARATOGA TRUNK (1946)

6. THE WRONG MAN (1957)

7. CADET KELLY (2002)*

8. GENTLEMAN'S AGREEMENT (1948)

9. HOLIDAY (1938)*

10. GODZILLA, KING OF THE MONSTERS! (1956)

*Films charting that did not air on TCM.

BLOW UP falls two notches to number three. GENTLEMAN'S AGREEMENT returns to the top ten, and it will return to TCM's airwaves again in September. 

The Edna Ferber drama SARATOGA TRUNK, reuniting Gary Cooper & Ingrid Bergman, ranks high despite Leonard Maltin's admonishments the film is unbearable. The fifth-most popular title is not showing up.

Can someone explain the current popularity of CADET KELLY?  It's a made-for-cable comedy featuring Hilary Duff. My guess is that the Disney Channel must have rerun it...

Can someone explain the current popularity of CADET KELLY?  It's a made-for-cable comedy featuring Hilary Duff. My guess is that the Disney Channel must have rerun it...

No, I'm sorry I can't explain it. Perhaps it was rerun or there's been some entertainment news about it. But just as a test I did a quick search for that title using Bing, Yahoo, and Google. None of those brought up links to the TCM database on their first couple pages of results unless I included "TCM" in the search terms. That just seems odd that many people would think of getting info about a 21st  century Disney Channel movie from TCM.

Have you considered that someone might be deliberately attempting to skew ranking results? And if that were the case, wouldn't it affect whatever conclusions you're drawing from the day-to-day placements? I mean, my mom has always told me that Roll, Freddy, Roll is a very funny movie. And Tim Conway is still somewhat well-known (I like his bird impressions). But I would be curious if RFR suddenly showed up as one of the top ten most searched titles on TCM since it hasn't aired here (or anywhere else recently, afaik) and doubt I'd say that must mean it's more popular than <insert name of famous movie>. *Shrug* Just a thought.

No, I'm sorry I can't explain it. Perhaps it was rerun or there's been some entertainment news about it. But just as a test I did a quick search for that title using Bing, Yahoo, and Google. None of those brought up links to the TCM database on their first couple pages of results unless I included "TCM" in the search terms. That just seems odd that many people would think of getting info about a 21st  century Disney Channel movie from TCM.

Have you considered that someone might be deliberately attempting to skew ranking results? 

But we are talking two countries (the U.S. and Canada) and potentially thousands of people each day with access to the TCM database.  Who would have that much time on their hands to keep opening the same link on the database? Plus, even if someone did that, it still would not work if a lot of people were interested in BLOW UP and checking that page.  In short, there is no guarantee that if you try to rig the rankings, that there still won't be ten other more popular titles ahead of you. 

Getting back to the Hilary Duff title (CADET KELLY), I find it a very interesting development that it had so many searches yesterday. I think this does indicate that people are associating TCM and its database with all movies, and even if it is something that TCM would not show, they are still coming here (like going to the IMDB or wikipedia) to find information.

For June 23, 2014

1. DANCE, GIRL, DANCE (1940)

2. ALL IN THE FAMILY, PART 1 (2007)*

3. THE SEVENTH VICTIM (1943)

4. BLOW UP (1966)

5. RED (1994)

6. BLUE (1993)

7. BUS STOP (1956)

8. THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL (1951)*

9. PICKUP ON SOUTH STREET (1953)*

10. SUSAN SLADE (1961)

BLOW UP drops a notch to number four-- it has been on the list four consecutive days. ALL IN THE FAMILY ranks high because Robert Osborne mentioned the classic TV series when providing commentary about THE NIGHT THEY RAIDED MINSKY'S, which was produced by Norman Lear. 

THE SEVENTH VICTIM is the only title from the morning slate that paid tribute to Satan.

PICKUP ON SOUTH STREET has been broadcast recently on FXM Retro, and it will air on TCM in August when Thelma Ritter is featured for Summer Under the Stars.

THE SEVENTH VICTIM is the only title from the morning slate that paid tribute to Satan.

Yeah, well, speakin' o' which....when you figure out what the lame THE STORY OF MANKIND "paid tribute to" lemme know, would ya, TB?!!

(...well, other than Irwin Allen's ability to get a lot of big names to say some really lousy dialogue, anyway)

For June 24, 2014

1. A SUMMER PLACE (1959)

3. FIVE MILLION YEARS TO EARTH (1968)*

4. BLOW UP (1966)

5. HOT SUMMER NIGHT (1957)

6. GYPSY (1962)

7. CHROME AND HOT LEATHER (1971)*

8. BLUE (1993)

9. MISUNDERSTOOD (1984)*

10. MAGIC TOWN (1947)*

BLOW UP holds steady at number four. FIVE MILLION YEARS TO EARTH charts, due to the fact that it has been removed from the schedule to accommodate the upcoming Ruby Dee memorial tribute. 

Number two is not showing. There are quite a few titles on the list for films that TCM is not currently broadcasting.

A SUMMER PLACE and GYPSY are in frequent rotation on TCM. This seems to disprove the theory that people only look up titles they never heard of before...

But we are talking two countries (the U.S. and Canada) and potentially thousands of people each day with access to the TCM database.  Who would have that much time on their hands to keep opening the same link on the database?

Simply was mentioning that internet poll/online trending results aren't necessarily accurate or applicable to larger population samples. And often it's not individual doing the clicking. Not saying this is the case with the TCMdb top ten but it has been known to happen.

As for who would have such time on their hands, I don't try to understand how others spend their time online. I sleep better that way. Wouldn't want anyone judging me, anyway.

For June 25, 2014

2. DILLINGER (1945)

3. BABY DOLL (1956)*

4. BUS STOP (1956)

5. INTERRUPTED MELODY (1955)

6. SANDERS OF THE RIVER (1935)

7. I LOVE YOU, ALICE B. TOKLAS! (1968)

8. THE MISFITS (1961)*

9. MUSIC FOR MADAME (1937)

10. THE GHOST TRAIN (1941)

Don't you love it when number one is a mystery?  

BLOW UP falls out of the lineup.  ALICE B. TOKLAS finally shows up. It has been discussed on the TCM message boards as not being a true essential.

Two Eli Wallach titles appear, on the heels of an announcement that the late actor will be honored with a memorial tribute on TCM next week.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings