Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Never Take Candy From a Stranger (1961)

Kay

This film is going to air at 2:15 AM (ET) tonight. I have never seen it or heard of it before, but the summary made me do a double-take. "A man meets official resistance when he finds his daughter has been the victim of the pedophile patriarch of a powerful family." The article says this film was a failure upon it's release and condemned by critics, but with the increasing rise of public awareness of this gruesome topic I'm interested to see how it was handled by a big studio, Hammer Film studio, no less, so long ago.

• Like 1

I was quite impressed with the way it was done, overall, though the pace changed rather radically after the courtroom scene, mostly for thriller effect. I didn't understand why an old man who didn't touch these girls when they were in his home would be willing to chase them through the woods after he has already been taken to court. It was a very creepy finale, (didn't your heart leap into your throat when the boat was still tied to the dock?) but his character changed into more of a monster than he was earlier in the film, when he wasn't presented as dangerous even when he had the best opportunity.

Anyway, I was surprised at how shocking the film was, but at the same time how carefully the reality of the subject was handled. It's quite a balancing act to weave a good thriller around a relevant and daring topic such as this, and also to be fair. I was expecting much less from this film. It should be, and I hope it is, a very famous film.

• Like 1