Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Jane Fonda -- 42nd AFI Life Achievement recipient

jakeem

Don't know how I missed it, but two-time Oscar winner Jane Fonda was presented the American Film Institute's Life Achievement Award earlier this month. An edited version of the event apparently aired on TNT last Saturday, but I didn't notice with all of the major sports championship and playoff games going on in the NBA, the NHL, NCAA baseball, etc.

Apparently, Turner Classic Movies will do what they did for AFI recipient Mel Brooks last year -- repeat the awards presentation. The likely date is August 1st, when Fonda's 24-hour Summer Under the Stars tribute airs. I hope that's the case. 

By the way, here's a five-minute recap by The Los Angeles Times on how the AFI show was put together.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/moviesnow/la-et-mn-jane-fonda-afi-award-video-time-lapse-20140611-story.html

And here's a story about the event:

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/moviesnow/la-et-mn-jane-fonda-afi-20140606-story.html

• Like 1

Well deserved. She has always been a favorite of mine and I've admired her artistry and her activism. I missed watching the first television airing and I hope I will be able to see it in August. 

I am surprised that she didn't get it sooner, but then again, when she was in "retirement" I could see why they waited until she was active again in the professional entertainment industry( although she never really left with the workout videos and documentaries she narrated and appeared in). 

Well deserved. She has always been a favorite of mine and I've admired her artistry and her activism. I missed watching the first television airing and I hope I will be able to see it in August. 

I am surprised that she didn't get it sooner, but then again, when she was in "retirement" I could see why they waited until she was active again in the professional entertainment industry( although she never really left with the workout videos and documentaries she narrated and appeared in).

I think she didnt get it sooner for political reasons. She's still a controversial figure to some. I found it interesting they didnt announce she was getting the award until close to the ceremony itself, I'm sure to avoid complaints or protests.......

I think she didnt get it sooner for political reasons. She's still a controversial figure to some. I found it interesting they didnt announce she was getting the award until close to the ceremony itself, I'm sure to avoid complaints or protests.......

Definitely. She's still the scapegoat for many people still upset about Vietnam, and her activism is still misconstrued by those who believe the lies about them. That's not a dig on anyone who does, I am just saying that if people looked at their sources, it wouldn't be her that they should be upset about. 

Jane Fonda's best films were done in the early to mid-60s. She had a real knack for comedy then. Her work since then beginning with Hurry Sundown has been very uneven with more lows than heights. Her best films since then have been Julia, 9 to 5, The Electric Horseman, On Golden Pond, and Stanley and Iris.

We have a slight disagreement. I would say her best films were in the 1970s and early to mid-1980s, particularly when she began producing them. These were the years of "Klute," "Julia," the original "Fun with Dick and Jane," "Coming Home," "The China Syndrome," "The Morning After" and others you named. She didn't start hitting the wall until some of her '80s films ("Rollover" and "Old_Gringo" immediately come to mind) didn't go over so well.

When I think of Fonda's 1960s films, it's mostly about how drop-dead gorgeous she was. I've always believed that Brigitte Bardot was one of the great all-time beauties in motion pictures. But Fonda in her 20s was pretty much her equal. It's interesting that they married the same man!

We have a slight disagreement. I would say her best films were in the 1970s and early to mid-1980s, particularly when she began producing them. These were the years of "Klute," "Julia," the original "Fun with Dick and Jane," "Coming Home," "The China Syndrome," "The Morning After" and others you named. She didn't start hitting the wall until some of her '80s films ("Rollover" and "Old_Gringo" immediately come to mind) didn't go over so well.

The "China Syndrome" was a BIG letdown for me because I expected it in the film. Was hoping for something to beat this...

Crack_In_The_World_1965_poster.jpg

When I think of Fonda's 1960s films, it's mostly about how drop-dead gorgeous she was. I've always believed that Brigitte Bardot was one of the great all-time beauties in motion pictures. But Fonda in her 20s was pretty much her equal. It's interesting that they married the same man!

I agree with you on both points here,   but I do find myself watching the ligher Fonda 60s films because they are just easier to watch (i.e. less serious) and as noted Jane is just a knock out.  

I agree with you on both points here,   but I do find myself watching the ligher Fonda 60s films because they are just easier to watch (i.e. less serious) and as noted Jane is just a knock out.  

But nothing beats her serious films, starting with "They Shoot Horses, Don't They?" (1969), which put her on the road to greatness.  

Jane Fonda is one of the most versatile and talented American film actresses of all time, one who also happens to be physically gorgeous.

I actually can't think of any other American actress with a more diverse body of work.

Her lifetime achievement award is well-deserved.

barbarella_jane_fonda__120620144820-275xFullscreen+capture+21112011+182342.jpg6-klute.jpg3029885334_4063909903.jpgjane-fonda-in-california-suite-del-1978-jane_fonda.jpgmain.jpgJane_Fonda_4.jpg

• Like 1

But nothing beats her serious films, starting with "They Shoot Horses, Don't They?" (1969), which put her on the road to greatness.  

Oh,  those serious films are well made films.   No question about that,   but I don't find myself wanting to view repeatly a serious somewhat 'downer' movie like They Shoot Horses,  Don't They,  as often as I do,  say, a light romantic comedy.

The "China Syndrome" was a BIG letdown for me because I expected it in the film. Was hoping for something to beat this...

Crack_In_The_World_1965_poster.jpg

"The China Syndrome" certainly put a scare into everyone after it was released on March 16, 1979. The near-meltdown at Pennsylvania's Three Mile Island nuclear reactor occurred less than two weeks later, on March 28th. Talk about life imitating art!

Oh,  those serious films are well made films.   No question about that,   but I don't find myself wanting to view repeatly a serious somewhat 'downer' movie like They Shoot Horses,  Don't They,  as often as I do,  say, a light romantic comedy.

I'd say Horses is more than a somewhat downer, it's a TOTAL downer! (LOL)....

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings