Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What's With All These Pop Up Advertisements On The Boards?

TomJH

Am I the only one to see pop up advertisements now when I look at some of the comments in General Discussions?

Sometimes I'll see a small green icon beside a word in a sentence and, if I put my cursor on it a pop up advertisement of someone or other appears.

If this helps to support TCM, so be it. It's a bit annoying but not the end of the world.

I have not seen any green icons within a post or any pop-ups. I must wonder if this is due to my using mostly Chrome with Ad-Block and Chrome has a native pop-up blocker. 

Perhaps you can list a post with one of these icons and associated pop-up so that I can see if it appears on my browser?

Am I the only one to see pop up advertisements now when I look at some of the comments in General Discussions?

Sometimes I'll see a small green icon beside a word in a sentence and, if I put my cursor on it a pop up advertisement of someone or other appears.

If this helps to support TCM, so be it. It's a bit annoying but not the end of the world.

You may, indeed, be the only one seeing these.

Occasionally, while you are moving from site to site on the web, a little bug will affix itself to your browser. This bug creates links in random words on each screen your browser loads. Some time ago, I had the same problem here. Usually, the little pop-up bubble will have some sort of ID or name attached to it which you can use to erradicate it. Mine was ATOMIC.

First, ID the little critter. Then, from your START menu, select search and do a system-wide search in all files for that name. When it pops up in your results window, right-click each one and delete. Then restart your computer.

Use or enable a pop-up blocker.  Since I got this "new" computer and Google Chrome, none haven't appeared. Some websites have built-in ads so blockers won't work.  At present TCM (for me) has been pop-up ad free.

Far as normal ads, use an ad blocker

You may, indeed, be the only one seeing these.

Occasionally, while you are moving from site to site on the web, a little bug will affix itself to your browser. This bug creates links in random words on each screen your browser loads. Some time ago, I had the same problem here. Usually, the little pop-up bubble will have some sort of ID or name attached to it which you can use to erradicate it. Mine was ATOMIC.

First, ID the little critter. Then, from your START menu, select search and do a system-wide search in all files for that name. When it pops up in your results window, right-click each one and delete. Then restart your computer.

Well, I've been off my computer for a little while now and now that I'm back on the message board again I'm not seeing the green icon or pop up ads - so far. There's no question that I was spotting them before here, though, something that I had never seen here before, or anywhere else. The icons did affix themselves to certain words.

Maybe I did pick up some kind of bug that has nothing to do with this website, I guess.

Is there NO ONE ELSE that saw them here?

I also saw, while here earlier, some strips of advertisements running along the bottom of the screen. For the time being now, I'm not seeing them either.

It's not as if I'm nuts or somethin'. 

Oops, gotta go. It's time for that little rabbit that pushes a wheelbarrow to appear in my backyard again. I just love watching him cart stuff around and give me a friendly wave. Now don't try to tell me no one here has never seen that!

I also saw, while here earlier, some strips of advertisements running along the bottom of the screen. For the time being now, I'm not seeing them either.

It's not as if I'm nuts or somethin'. 

You're in good company.

I experienced that on the old boards. Ads like that would appear in different areas on the message boards. I just assumed the guys down in the engine room were flipping things here and there in their vain attempts to straighten out the unsalvageable condition that existed at the time.

I need to go make up some more words..

You're in good company.

I experienced that on the old boards. Ads like that would appear in different areas on the message boards. I just assumed the guys down in the engine room were flipping things here and there in their vain attempts to straighten out the unsalvageable condition that existed at the time.

The advertisements in strips are now back, along with the green icons and pop up screens! I tried to copy and paste one here to prove it but it wouldn't let me copy it. One of the ads was telling me to install flash player and had an Install button which I did not, of course, click on.

There is a green icon beside the word "internet" in MissW's post at 6:58pm. The word "internet" is also underlined. The Pop Up says "Internet. Find Internet Online" with a red "Click here" button attached.

No one else sees this? W H A T 'S   H A P P E N I N G   TO   ME ??????????????????????

Sorry, that's the Drama King coming out in me. Still, if no one else seeing it, I guess there's some trojan or gremlin at work on my computer.

We have several malware, virus and pup removal programs which we run in rotation daily.

The fastest to install and use is: AdwCleaner:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/dl/125/

It is quick to download and it requires only a few minutes to run. I will advise to click on each tab after it has scanned to see what it found in each sector. It will advise to clean each time but it is safe to close if it found none.

We have several malware, virus and pup removal programs which we run in rotation daily.

The fastest to install and use is: AdwCleaner:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/dl/125/

It is quick to download and it requires only a few minutes to run. I will advise to click on each tab after it has scanned to see what it found in each sector. It will advise to clean each time but it is safe to close if it found none.

Here is more on that: Page with Instructions - Click Here

Thanks very much for your suggestions.

Since I am largely computer illiterate, I have a software tech contract. They did a malware check and found about 15 items, **** a cleanup of the computer.

So far so good. No advertisements or pop ups have occurred.

(Though I'm still seeing that rabbit with the wheelbarrow in my backyard, but that's another story). ;)

Or Tim Hudak...poor guy, he must really be getting desperate...

Hudak screwing up my computer, you say? You may be right, MissW. From the results of the Ontario election, it's apparent that he was bugging a lot of people. ;)

Hi Tom!

For you and for the readership, these ad blocking programs are called "extensions". A free program readily available through Chrome and Firefox is AdBlocker Plus, a very popular and effective program that I use myself. Works like a charm. It'll even scrub youtube of ads, which is a real blessing!

For Chrome, go to the upper right corner to the three horizontal bar icon. Click and find "Tools". Then go to extensions and find Adblocker.

For Firefox, go to the upper right hand corner, same 3 horizontal bar icon, go to "Add Ons", then "Extensions", find Adblocker.

What this process is in IE, I don't know; probably findable under "Tools".

PS: It might make a difference what version of Windows and browser you are using. If you are using some old version like Windows XP, you are likely to have problems which will only multiply with time! Mr. Gates would really like you to upgrade! Also, make sure you are using a current version of your browser; if not, download the newest version.

Hi Tom!

For you and for the readership, these ad blocking programs are called "extensions". A free program readily available through Chrome and Firefox is AdBlocker Plus, a very popular and effective program that I use myself. Works like a charm. It'll even scrub youtube of ads, which is a real blessing!

For Chrome, go to the upper right corner to the three horizontal bar icon. Click and find "Tools". Then go to extensions and find Adblocker.

For Firefox, go to the upper right hand corner, same 3 horizontal bar icon, go to "Add Ons", then "Extensions", find Adblocker.

What this process is in IE, I don't know; probably findable under "Tools".

PS: It might make a difference what version of Windows and browser you are using. If you are using some old version like Windows XP, you are likely to have problems which will only multiply with time! Mr. Gates would really like you to upgrade! Also, make sure you are using a current version of your browser; if not, download the newest version.

Thanks for the suggestion, ThelmaTodd. Since the virus removal last night I have not seen any of those adds.

I use IE and did look under Tools but didn't find anything called Extensions or Ad Blocker, by the way.

This happened to me one time. I hope your virus removal lasts and works for the long haul. You

should go to your control panel and see if anything has been loaded on your computer you are

not aware of being loaded. Check recent dates. It's a common malware that attaches to your

browser while you innocently surf. 

Check you credit card and bank accounts. Check for no surprises. Been there done that and I

had the colored adds while on this site, too.

Good luck.

This happened to me one time. I hope your virus removal lasts and works for the long haul. You

should go to your control panel and see if anything has been loaded on your computer you are

not aware of being loaded. Check recent dates. It's a common malware that attaches to your

browser while you innocently surf. 

Check you credit card and bank accounts. Check for no surprises. Been there done that and I

had the colored adds while on this site, too.

Good luck.

Thanks for the warning, Jake. So far, so good.

Never happened to me on this site, but i know exactly what you're talking about. It has periodically occurred on my computer on other message boards and Websites. The problem isn't TCM.com. It's some kind of malware that has gotten on your computer. I recommend any/all of the solutions listed below, or there's always Geek Squad (or getting a new computer)!

I feel that a computer is as any other device and needs regular maintenance if it is to be effective. It is normal to change the oil in an automobile every three months. It is normal to change the filter in forced-air heating and cooling systems each month. It is normal to run a malware and virus scan on a computer each day. 

I have found it an advantage also because we use fast programs during day's usage to do quick check-ups but then use MSERT or equivalent at end of day. The inadvertent feature which I find nice is that these larger programs require several hours to scan the computer and so the decision to leave the computer for the day is enforced and no more one-last-thing-I-just-remembered are allowed because it would require closing the scan.

For those interested, the malware on my hard drive that was causing all those pop up ads was called FineDealSoft, according to the tech who worked on my system. He did a virus scan and cleanup of the computer, as well, but that was the program that he singled out as the culprit.

I found the following on this software after googling it:

FineDealSoft is an adware program that displays pop-up ads, advertisement banners and sponsored links within Internet Explorer, Firefox and Google Chrome.
Unfortunately, some free downloads do not adequately disclose that other software will also be installed and you may find that you have installed FineDealSoft without your knowledge.FineDealSoft is advertised as a program that displays coupons for sites you are visiting and competitive prices when you are viewing product pages at sites like Amazon. Though this may sound like a useful service, the FineDealSoft program can be intrusive and will display ads whether you want them to or not.

The only free downloads that I have done recently have been from You Tube.

• Like 1

Tom is definitely not imagining this.  It happened to me yesterday when I was looking at the September schedule under a different tab. It is not what I would call a pop-up, in that it does not open a new window or tab-- but if you roll over it, then you get a temporary box with information about the product. If you do not click on it or if you roll over another part of the page, the ad dissolves or goes away.

It happened so quickly I wasn't sure what it was at first, then I remembered this thread and realized this is what Tom has been discussing. I do think this is a change to TCM's website and wonder if it will happen on other pages besides the schedule. 

Tom is definitely not imagining this.  It happened to me yesterday when I was looking at the September schedule under a different tab. It is not what I would call a pop-up, in that it does not open a new window or tab-- but if you roll over it, then you get a temporary box with information about the product. If you do not click on it or if you roll over another part of the page, the ad dissolves or goes away.

It happened so quickly I wasn't sure what it was at first, then I remembered this thread and realized this is what Tom has been discussing. I do think this is a change to TCM's website and wonder if it will happen on other pages besides the schedule. 

TP, since I had the FineDealSoft software removed from my hard drive it has not reoccurred on this website for me. Therefore I suspect that you may have picked up the same program yourself and need to have it removed. The tech used an anti-malware program to isolate the problem makers before deleting them.

I do not think these ads or pop ups have anything to do with the message boards themselves now, despite my title for the thread. Besides, outside of yourself, no one else has mentioned having the problem now.

TP, since I had the FineDealSoft software removed from my hard drive it has not reoccurred on this website for me. Therefore I suspect that you may have picked up the same program yourself and need to have it removed. The tech used an anti-malware program to isolate the problem makers before deleting them.

I do not think these ads or pop ups have anything to do with the message boards themselves now, despite my title for the thread. Besides, outside of yourself, no one else has mentioned having the problem now.

It happens so quickly that I suspect others may not have noticed it yet. Also, I think that there are gradual changes being made to the webpages. It wouldn't be the first time they tried something out. I can see them doing this, if it is advertising related to items in the TCM store.  If that does happen (folks please do not sound the alarm bell), we can deal with it. LOL

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings