Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Do you have a favorite movie dream house?

TheGayDivorcee

Yes, I'm playing the song on the guitar.   Yea, I love playing songs from this era.   Friends will comment that I'm playing songs that are over 70 years old.  So what,  they are great,  well written,  beautiful songs.    But some will ask if I can play something more current.    To pull their leg,  I'll start playing Beatles songs.    Then I get;  Hey,  but that song is still over 40 years old.    What can I say,  I don't play no hip-hop!  

LOL--  Maybe you could learn My Milkshake or I like Big Bu*t*ts     :o

TGD,

The Wikipedia page for NBNW confirms your Frank Lloyd Wright reference:

Set Design

The house at the end of the film was not real. Hitchcock asked the set designers to make the set resemble a house by Frank Lloyd Wright, the most popular architect in America at the time, using the materials, form and interiors associated with him. The set was built in Culver City, where MGM's studios were located. House exteriors were matte paintings

When I was a boy my parents had friends who lived in a house based on a Frank Lloyd Wright design, so the architecture looked very familiar to me.  It had a sandstone block exterior and had the long horizontal lines that you see in the NBNW house.  Of course it was much smaller (I think only a 3 bedroom tract house) and did not overlook a gigantic cliff or Mount Rushmore.  Since I only got to visit the house occasionally I just thought it was cool and didn't realize the architectural significance until much later in life.

Yes, yes, and yes!  Love those three.  I read something about the North by Northwest house, but can't remember? Was it a Frank Lloyd Wright, by chance?  I must check on that.

The Craftsman houses are so special, and I"m with you with those doors.  Unusual doors are so special.  Many years ago I went to an event at a sprawling 1940s (?) house.  The kitchen had double swinging doors with a round windows. I remember being so taken by that.

I once rented a pink 1920s studio apartment with a built-in breakfast nook and Murphy bed.  All the doorknobs were of glass.  It also had a (non-working) dumb waiter in the kitchen, and magnificent stove.  I was so happy to see a few years ago that it was still standing, not demolished for condos or offices.

TGD,

The Wikipedia page for NBNW confirms your Frank Lloyd Wright reference:

Set Design

The house at the end of the film was not real. Hitchcock asked the set designers to make the set resemble a house by Frank Lloyd Wright, the most popular architect in America at the time, using the materials, form and interiors associated with him. The set was built in Culver City, where MGM's studios were located. House exteriors were matte paintings

When I was a boy my parents had friends who lived in a house based on a Frank Lloyd Wright design, so the architecture looked very familiar to me.  It had a sandstone block exterior and had the long horizontal lines that you see in the NBNW house.  Of course it was much smaller (I think only a 3 bedroom tract house) and did not overlook a gigantic cliff or Mount Rushmore.  Since I only got to visit the house occasionally I just thought it was cool and didn't realize the architectural significance until much later in life.

Interesting about the Hitchcock house--I want to see the movie again to have a better look!

How wonderful you got to see that house!  It's so true, when we're young we don't always realize the significance of things, but it sounds as if it made an impression on you.  I read something recently that FLW even designed a dog house--I think at the request of a child--to go along with his parents' FLW house.  For the dog who has everything!

Archived