Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

As someone else mentioned in another thread, there seem to be a lot of post-1970's movies on TCM lately.

I have noticed that since the anniversary of TCM in April, the number of color movies being shown has increased, particularly in prime time. In fact, I now joke to my wife that 'someone at TCM is being fired for allowing a black and white movie to be shown in prime time!'

I don't care for  many movies made after the '70s, although there are certainly exceptions.

It seems like TCM is showing more movies in color, and this seems to include the unexceptional movies of the '60s and later.

Has anyone else found this to be true? Are they trying to pick up more younger viewers?

• Like 1

It seems like TCM is showing more movies in color, and this seems to include the unexceptional movies of the '60s and later.

Has anyone else found this to be true? Are they trying to pick up more younger viewers?

Yes, and yes. We've been discussing this for years. many of us started subscribing to TCM to see the old classic movies made in the 1930s, 40s, and 50s, and most are black and white films or the great old 3-Strip Technicolor.

But now TCM has become the All-Film Channel, with a primetime emphasis on color films. And most of those are not at all "classic". They are just random cheap-to-rent color films that weren't any good to start with and are certainly not "classics" now.

As time goes by, more and more people are getting the classic old films on the internet and they are dropping their expensive cable services.

• Like 1

TCM has been programming on a generally chronological basis for quite a while now. You usually don't see 70s films at dawn switching to pre-codes in the afternoon - it's always the other way around. So it's 20's/early 30s in the morning, 40s/50s and some 60s in the daytime, and then a variety of eras in the evening and late at night, although the post-studio era tends to sit here whenever it's on. This isn't strictly the case, weekends often switch things up, but that seems to be how the weekdays are run. I can't say I've seen a deliberate preferrence for color films, it's just that color films became more populous during the eras may end up in the primetime time slots.

Does TCM do this based on demographics? Possibly, but color doesn't really seem to affect how certain people approach films of a certain age (a 40s film is still a 40s film to almost everybody.) And, as I mentioned earlier, this isn't really a new phenomenon so it's not an indication of any change in focus.

But look at tonight - several early talkie French films plus a couple later titles by Rene Clair, mostly black and white - and just skimming through future days I see a lot of mixing between 30s and 40s B&W and concurrent and later color films.

TCM has been programming on a generally chronological basis for quite a while now. You usually don't see 70s films at dawn switching to pre-codes in the afternoon - it's always the other way around. So it's 20's/early 30s in the morning, 40s/50s and some 60s in the daytime, and then a variety of eras in the evening and late at night, although the post-studio era tends to sit here whenever it's on. This isn't strictly the case, weekends often switch things up, but that seems to be how the weekdays are run. I can't say I've seen a deliberate preferrence for color films, it's just that color films became more populous during the eras may end up in the primetime time slots.

Does TCM do this based on demographics? Possibly, but color doesn't really seem to affect how certain people approach films of a certain age (a 40s film is still a 40s film to almost everybody.) And, as I mentioned earlier, this isn't really a new phenomenon so it's not an indication of any change in focus.

But look at tonight - several early talkie French films plus a couple later titles by Rene Clair, mostly black and white - and just skimming through future days I see a lot of mixing between 30s and 40s B&W and concurrent and later color films.

I was going to start a thread but instead I will comment here...some screen actors guild playhouses and obscure french films...terrific!  :D  So who says tcm programmers don't know how to keep the good times rollin'?  :lol:

Yes, and yes. We've been discussing this for years. many of us started subscribing to TCM to see the old classic movies made in the 1930s, 40s, and 50s, and most are black and white films or the great old 3-Strip Technicolor.

But now TCM has become the All-Film Channel, with a primetime emphasis on color films. And most of those are not at all "classic". They are just random cheap-to-rent color films that weren't any good to start with and are certainly not "classics" now.

As time goes by, more and more people are getting the classic old films on the internet and they are dropping their expensive cable services.

Yes, and yes. We've been discussing this for years.

What Fred said. Years and years and years and years.

Wait...................for those who will disagree with what Fred said.

NO TCM HAS NOT CHANGED NOT ONE IOTA AND DON'T YOU DARE SAY IT HAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Le Corbeau, you are 1000% correct, but TCM is all we've got. There ain't no other channel that shows what TCM shows, WHEN it is showing classically classic old b/w movies. Is it showing less of them? Of course it is. Don't believe anyone who says it isn't.

That's life. Do as I do. Be grateful when TCM remembers what they should be showing, and be grateful for the chance to save on electricity when they don't.

• Like 2

Yes, and yes. We've been discussing this for years.

What Fred said. Years and years and years and years.

Wait...................for those who will disagree with what Fred said.

NO TCM HAS NOT CHANGED NOT ONE IOTA AND DON'T YOU DARE SAY IT HAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Le Corbeau, you are 1000% correct, but TCM is all we've got. There ain't no other channel that shows what TCM shows, WHEN it is showing classically classic old b/w movies. Is it showing less of them? Of course it is. Don't believe anyone who says it isn't.

That's life. Do as I do. Be grateful when TCM remembers what they should be showing, and be grateful for the chance to save on electricity when they don't.

Well said. You are right. :)

YES, its rare to see a 30's film in primetime. Even 40s films unless its something like Casablanca or a salute to someone. They are relegated to the early morning hours or afternoons.. WHy I seldom watch TCM in the primetime hours unless its a salute to someone or a special theme like the Hammer evening.. Its usually films that are shown to death and I've seen them too many times to be interested......

• Like 2

Yes, I know TCM has used the chronological method of programming throughout the day. It just seems that I used to be able to turn on TCM at any hour and *almost * always find something interesting to watch. Lately I've been disappointed.

Oh well, enjoy TCM.

• Like 2

Yes, I know TCM has used the chronological method of programming throughout the day. It just seems that I used to be able to turn on TCM at any hour and *almost * always find something interesting to watch. Lately I've been disappointed.

Oh well, enjoy TCM.

Same here. Now I have to carefully search the schedule, and then I find that most of my favorite old-type films, noirs, pre-codes, etc are on the air between Midnight and 6 AM. While the drab dull 60s and 70s color films are in prime time, except for maybe one or two days a month.

Oh well, enjoy TCM.

Another factor over the years, in the past TCM showed less repeats. Nowadays you'll see a film one week and it will be repeated the next.

IMO the most important thing  is the presence of lots of TCM premieres.  I don't particularly care what period they come from, and I'd much rather see a premiere of a good 1990's movie than the 10,738th showing of Adam's Rib or Meet Me in St. Louis.

The genius of TCM is that there's something for every taste, and most of the time when I read people kvetching about too much of this or not enough of that (and I've done my share of kvetching) it usually just boils down to "Why don't they show more movies that I like, and not as many movies that I don't."  Understandable, but hardly a principled objection to the scheduling.

Sorry to put it so bluntly, but that's the way I see it.  Anyway, how many times can anyone watch the same movie before  wanting to see something that hasn't already been screened a million times?

• Like 1

The genius of TCM is that there's something for every taste, and most of the time when I read people kvetching about too much of this or not enough of that (and I've done my share of kvetching) it usually just boils down to "Why don't they show more movies that I like, and not as many movies that I don't."  Understandable, but hardly a principled objection to the scheduling.

This was not a problem 10, 15, and 20 years ago, because TCM showed plenty of films that ALL of their PAID SUBSCRIBERS liked. That's why we paid MORE for this channel. I'm still on the 2nd Tier Pay Schedule for TCM on Direct TV, after 20 years. How many thousands of dollars has that cost me over the years? At an averaged-out $10 extra per month ($5 early on, $20 now), that equals about $2,400 just for the second tier package. I don't like paying more money for less product.

$3.65 a gallon for gas is a high price to pay now, but I STILL get a FULL GALLON OF GAS for that price, yet I'm now getting about 1/4 gallon of TCM old classic movies now.

• Like 1

I'm still on the 2nd Tier Pay Schedule for TCM on Direct TV, after 20 years. How many thousands of dollars has that cost me over the years? At an averaged-out $10 extra per month ($5 early on, $20 now), that equals about $2,400.

Hopefully you feel like you have received over two thousand dollars worth of entertainment.  If so, then TCM works for you. Even when they show Ginger Rogers in THE BLACK WIDOW, which I remember you disliked! :)

Hopefully you feel like you have received over two thousand dollars worth of entertainment.  If so, then TCM works for you. Even when they show Ginger Rogers in THE BLACK WIDOW, which I remember you disliked! :)

Please do not try to guess what I think or misrepresent what I said in the past. You state what you believe and I will state what I believe.

Anyway, let's at least remain friends and keep this discussion friendly. :)

Please do not try to guess what I think or misrepresent what I said in the past. You state what you believe and I will state what I believe.

Anyway, let's at least remain friends and keep this discussion friendly. :)

Fred, my post was meant in a friendly way. We all have films we like and dislike. And I do hope you feel you have gotten your money out of TCM. I feel I have. It has been worth those cable bills I pay!

This was not a problem 10, 15, and 20 years ago, because TCM showed plenty of films that ALL of their PAID SUBSCRIBERS liked.

By "ALL", of course, you mean "Fred C. Dobbs".  I'm finding plenty of films on today's TCM that  ALL the people I know like to watch.  Movies from all eras and all genres and many different countries.  You're entitled to your tastes, but nobody has the right to impose his idea of programming on everyone else.

And what's this thing about "paid subscribers"?  Since TCM has always been a cable channel, all of of TCM's viewers have always been paid subscribers, from 1994 right up to the present.  If your cable company has switched TCM to a higher tier (Fios hasn't), then that's on your cable company, not TCM.

• Like 1

Sorry to put it so bluntly, but that's the way I see it.  Anyway, how many times can anyone watch the same movie before  wanting to see something that hasn't already been screened a million times?

I'm fine with TCM premieres of ANY era. Why I watch TCM less now than in the past is the constant repeats of films shown to death (of any era) and its ususally in prime time. I guess it was inevitable with rising costs...

By "ALL", of course, you mean "Fred C. Dobbs".

No, by ALL I mean all the original early subscribers and 2nd tier subscribers who WANTED the OLD TCM just like they wanted the OLD AMC the way it used to be.

But now TCM is showing only about 1/4 of its original type of old-classic film programming and specialized programming. 3/4 of it now stinks to those of us who have been with TCM the longest.

• Like 1

I'm fine with TCM premieres of ANY era. Why I watch TCM less now than in the past is the constant repeats of films shown to death (of any era) and its ususally in prime time. I guess it was inevitable with rising costs...

I loved that British Hammer noir special night a couple of days ago. Very interesting and mostly good films that have never been shown before on TCM.

I just thought I would put my observations out there, and see what other TCM fans thought.

I don't know if anyone knows the 'Retro' channel, but TCM seems to be sliding in that direction, where most of the movies are not 'classic' and have little to recommend them, they're just old and are time-fillers. sometimes they will show a good old movie, but not too often.

I have certainly gotten my money's worth from TCM over the years, but that doesn't mean I want it to end! I have often said to my wife I would pay all of our cable bill just to have TCM. If the cable companies ever went to ala cart channel selection, (ha!) I would get TCM and that's about it.

TCM is great and unique, so that is why I am disturbed at changes, because it is so important to me.

I also loved the Hammer noir premiers, and recorded 'Stolen Face'. I had no more HD space to record any more!

I loved that British Hammer noir special night a couple of days ago. Very interesting and mostly good films that have never been shown before on TCM.

YES! That was the first time I watched TCM in primetime in I dont know how long (excluding Friday nights)...

I also watch less of TCM now than I did when I first became addicted to it in 2009, but that's hardly TCM's fault.  It's simply because in 2009 I'd only seen a tiny fraction of the thousands of films that I've seen on TCM since then.  And whereas in 2009 these films were mostly all "premieres" to me, they're now mostly films I've already seen.  A movie can only be a "premiere" once.

Case in point:  The fabulous pre-code lineup that's just been announced for September.  That's 96 hours of solid programming spread out over four Fridays, plus many more pre-codes and gangster movies scattered throughout the month on other days of the week.

If this were 2009, nearly every one of those movies would be "new" to me.  But since this is 2014, I've seen all but a few of them already.  Of course some of them I'll be happy to watch again, but it'll be a renewal of an old friendship rather than a new discovery.

And yet amidst all these "repeats" are movies I may have missed, plus a few premieres.  In September, there'll be three Bardots I've never seen.  In August, a whole day of the great Jeanne Moreau, another day of Lee Tracy, and another day of nothing but Edmond O'Brien.  And though I've already seen all those Barbara Stanwyck SUTS day movies, and 90% of the September pre-codes, I figure that there are thousands of other TCM viewers for whom these films will be personal "premieres".  It'd be kind of small of me to expect TCM to keep coming up with personal premieres for me the way that it did five years ago, when the world was young.  Let others have the same thrill of discovery that I had back then.

• Like 1

By "ALL", of course, you mean "Fred C. Dobbs".

No, by ALL I mean all the original early subscribers and 2nd tier subscribers who WANTED the OLD TCM just like they wanted the OLD AMC the way it used to be.

I'm utterly fascinated by how you came to know this.  Is your real name Fred C. Gallup?

I just scanned the schedule for the next few days. There's plenty of good, classic stuff. Nice mix, actually. For those of you who think TCM has begun to eschew black-and-white, there's a b&w film on right now -- Ten Days to Tulara. I never heard of it. My cable company (RCN) gives it one star, but that never stopped me watching anything!

I do like seeing foreign films, and some films in proper HD, particularly the ones that fill my screen, as some of them do, depending upon the aspect ratios, and they by definition can't be too old.