Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

South Sea Sinner with Shelley Winters and Liberace: Where is it?

Swithin

South Sea Sinner (1950) used to play on local TV in the wee hours. It's sort of a Sadie Thompson story with Shelley Winters, Liberace, and Luther Adler.  Pretty low rent doings in the tropics, but I'd like to see it again. It was Liberace's debut.

SY00c.JPG

South Sea Sinner (1950) used to play on local TV in the wee hours. It's sort of a Sadie Thompson story with Shelley Winters, Liberace, and Luther Adler.  Pretty low rent doings in the tropics, but I'd like to see it again. It was Liberace's debut.

SY00c.JPG

A bootleg copy can sometimes be found on ioffer...though I do not necessarily recommend that.

She was under contract to Universal for several years in the late 40s/early 50s. TCM seems to only be interested in playing WINCHESTER '73 and on rare occasions FRENCHIE (which they did for Joel McCrea's SOTM tribute). The rest of her great early films are rotting somewhere.

A handle on screening it might be that it was Liberace's debut -- before he was on TV, or in any other film. And in addition to playing Shelley Winters' accompanist, I believe he has some classical solos.

Here's a brief summary from IMDB:

"A tramp steamer lands sick crewman Jake Davis on rubber-growing island Oraka, from which voluptuous, bedroom-eyed saloon singer Coral is about to be ejected because "men like her too much." But Coral's slimy boss Cognac gets her a reprieve so she can learn Jake's secret. In the process, Coral gets a bit too fond of Jake, who (suspected of wartime collaboration) resolves on new efforts to clear himself; but more complications arise."

People tend to forget that Shelley was a pretty impressive looking girl before she fell in love with anything that came out of an oven:

Yeah, not bad I suppose...UNTIL she opened her mouth and SPOKE, anyway.

And then that voice, SHEESH...like nails on a chalkboard!

(...WHICH I suppose worked to her advantage by often playing women you seldom find yourself rooting for in the story)

SOUTH SEA SINNER is Universal-International's remake of Big U's SEVEN SINNERS that starred Marlene Dietrich and John Wayne.  Like most of the Universal library, it is completely ignored by the studio.  It was probably shown on AMC back in the early days when they had a load of U-I titles on license.

SY00c.JPG

Debut? Was he in other films?

Debut? Was he in other films?

He is used sparingly in SOUTH SEA SINNER and THE LOVED ONE.  But he has a starring role (as a heterosexual) in SINCERELY YOURS, which pairs him with Joanne Dru and Dorothy Malone.

Not long ago I saw him in an episode of Kojak that took place in Vegas. He's certainly a one of a kind!

OMG! I thought Sincerely Yours was his only movie claim to fame (aside from a cameo in The Loved One) Does he have any lines???

OMG! I thought Sincerely Yours was his only movie claim to fame (aside from a cameo in The Loved One) Does he have any lines???

Yes, although he's not the lead, he has a supporting role of some significance. Here's a link to a trailer: "And introducing Liberace, sensation of the keyboard!"

http://matineeclassics.com/movies/1950/south_sea_sinner/

• 2 months later...

wow!  thanks for the cheesecake photo!

shelley was one of my faves; even though she did play a nasty nellie in 'patch of blue'.

a few years ago, i've downloaded a copy of her film 'bloody mama' (1970) which i ain't watched yet.

ms. winters was probably one of the few, true, female blondes of hollywood.

People tend to forget that Shelley was a pretty impressive looking girl before she fell in love with anything that came out of an oven:

3038.jpg