Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Jump Into Hell

ElCid

This was shown on June 15th and is a movie about the French defeat at Dienbenphu in 1954.  The movie was made in 1955 and most interesting aspect is that it is a prime example of Franco-American 1950's propoganda masquerading as a movie.

Watched it because I served in an airborne unit in Vietnam.

This was shown on June 15th and is a movie about the French defeat at Dienbenphu in 1954.  The movie was made in 1955 and most interesting aspect is that it is a prime example of Franco-American 1950's propoganda masquerading as a movie.

Yes, I thought it had a unique historical significance. However, it aired on June 18th.

The TCM logo before the film started said 'Letterbox' and I assume that since it was made in '55, it was probably filmed in Cinemascope by Warners. But the version we saw yesterday was cropped-- and definitely not letterbox. 

It's funny because although the setting was Dien Bien Phu, it was made by Warner Brothers, and it seemed like a combination of a 1943 B-movie and Jack Webb's classic 1962 Pentagon propaganda film,

.*   I was glad to see it as an artifact of 1950's commercial propaganda movies, but other than that it was packed with more cliches than a political infomercial.

*Also made by Warner Brothers.

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings