Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

News: Dame May Whitty more popular than Rock Hudson!

TopBilled

As folks around here know, I have been monitoring the most-searched titles on the TCM database for awhile.  Yesterday, something extraordinary happened.  May Whitty was more popular than Rock Hudson (she had five films in the top ten as opposed to Hudson's one). I wonder if TCM's programmers are aware of the fact that the character actors and actresses are often more favored by viewers than the so-called major stars...?

Why can't the programming reflect that?  Why can't there be an entire month where the Star of the Month series is devoted to character players?  Think about it.  May Whitty was over 70 when she found lasting fame in movies.  We are still enraptured by her today.  We care more about her presence in films than we do about Rock Hudson.  

It says something when an underrated, un-publicized over-seventy character actress has people glued to their screens instead of a wooden leading man that TCM has been going out of its way to promote as the June Star of the Month...

• Like 1

As folks around here know, I have been monitoring the most-searched titles on the TCM database for awhile.  Yesterday, something extraordinary happened.  May Whitty was more popular than Rock Hudson (she had five films in the top ten as opposed to Hudson's one). I wonder if TCM's programmers are aware of the fact that the character actors and actresses are often more favored by viewers than the so-called major stars...?

Why can't the programming reflect that?  Why can't there be an entire month where the Star of the Month series is devoted to character players?  Think about it.  May Whitty was over 70 when she found lasting fame in movies.  We are still enraptured by her today.  We care more about her presence in films than we do about Rock Hudson.  

It says something when an underrated, un-publicized over-seventy character actress has people glued to their screens instead of a wooden leading man that TCM has been going out of its way to promote as the June Star of the Month...

I'm sorry but like you did on the EGR movies and database searches you're making assumptions here.

Just because someone has more searches does NOT mean they are more popular.   In fact it could mean they are LESS popular and people need to search to find out more about them.   

But based on this very limited data point you make an assumption like: We care more about her presence in films than we do about Rock Hudson.

Hey,  this maybe true but that limited data point doesn't make it so.

• Like 1

I think you're reading too much into it. All it shows is that some people watched and because they didn't know much about her took the trouble to look her up. It doesn't mean that flocks of people were "glued to their screens". Rock Hudson, on the other hand, is much better known and fewer folks need more information about him. Do we know the actual count? It could have been that two people looked up him, while three looked up her.

• Like 2

Of course Dame May Whitty is more popular than Rock. Look at all those great films she was in:

Klondike Annie

My Little Chickadee

She Done Him Wrong

And what a bod on that babe!

Okay Rich. I THINK you're "a little" confused here.

(...'cause I DON'T think back in the day any captain of a ship ever gave the order: "Put on your 'May Whittys' 'cause it looks like we're gonna sink!") ;)

Wow. You're really running with this meager bit of data. "We" are still enraptured with her today? Is there a Dame May Whitty fan club in every U.S. city of over 500,000 population? Are there Dame May Whitty lunchboxes, T-shirts, and bumper stickers? ........I would bet that 99.9999% of the U.S. population has never heard of her.......Who exactly is "We"?

==

So if on any given day, The Mexican Spitfire's Baby (1941) should by chance be searched more that Gone with the Wind, then it only follows that Zazu Pitts is more popular than Clark Gable. Got that, programmers?

Yes, this is "News" all right --- right out of THE ONION.

;)

ps : apologies to Zazu Pitts

==

Edited by laffite

Wow. You're really running with this meager bit of data. "We" are still enraptured with her today? Is there a Dame May Whitty fan club in every U.S. city of over 500,000 population? Are there Dame May Whitty lunchboxes, T-shirts, and bumper stickers? ........I would bet that 99.9999% of the U.S. population has never heard of her.......Who exactly is "We"?

You could say that about many deceased movie actors and actresses. So it does seem a bit unfair to pick on her. The truth is that almost all the films TCM aired yesterday with her in them placed on the most-searched list. That is factual information. 

Yes, this is "News" all right --- 

==

I am so glad you agree.

I think people are bowled over by the fact that she is outscoring Rock Hudson on that list.  One of her titles appeared twice (!) on the list-- meaning it had to be twice as popular as the many Hudson films that failed to chart.  Think about that for a second.  It is incredible that a woman in her 70s (and in IF WINTER COMES, she was 82)-- a woman like that is outranking a matinee idol/sex symbol.  

If this wasn't so amazing, I would not have made this thread.  It is definitely news, in a world where the elderly are not often valued, and where ageism runs rampant in the entertainment industry.

• Like 1

You could say that about many deceased movie actors and actresses. So it does seem a bit unfair to pick on her. The truth is that almost all the films TCM aired yesterday with her in them placed on the most-searched list. That is factual information. 

It appears you still don't get it.    Yes,  these films are non the most-searched list and that is factual information.  What is NOT factual is you assuming that means she is more popular than someone else.    As others have pointed out (but you continue to ignore),  it could mean that an actor is NOT very well known and people were searching to find out more about them and the films they are in.

• Like 1

It appears you still don't get it.    Yes,  these films are non the most-searched list and that is factual information.  What is NOT factual is you assuming that means she is more popular than someone else.    As others have pointed out (but you continue to ignore),  it could mean that an actor is NOT very well known and people were searching to find out more about them and the films they are in.

You are leading into a subtopic, which is why people search the TCM database. Obviously there are different reasons.  Some (not all) will search to learn about someone they had never heard of before..and some will search because it is someone they know and like and want to find more articles or user comments.

If you notice, I am able to rationally and pleasantly discuss with you the merits and shortcomings in your arguments. I would appreciate the same courtesy in return when I am presenting my viewpoints. Thanks.

And as far as the database is concerned, on June 19, 2014 Dame May Whitty was the driving force behind why six of those slots are filled with films she appeared in-- that has to denote some sort of popularity in searches or else there would be no list.  The list is the result of popular searches.

Has it occurred to any of those posting here that this thread is a put-on, created by the originator in order to just create a reaction?

This appears even more to be the case when he returns to the thread later, deliberately "ignoring" the logic of others, continuing to insist upon his original ludicrous assertion.

• Like 1

Has it occurred to any of those posting here that this thread is a put-on, created by the originator in order to just create a reaction?

This appears even more to be the case when he returns to the thread later, deliberately "ignoring" the logic of others, continuing to insist upon his original ludicrous assertion.

That seems like a bit of a put-down. I have more than ten thousand posts, and many threads that have scored over 2000 views (a half dozen hit the 50,000 view mark before the new boards took affect)...with this kind of posting history, most folks know by now that I do not create threads to toy with other posters.  Now, yes, I will present something as news if I see it as amazing (Drew's word not mine LOL) or worth noting. 

At first when I read Dargo's reply, I was a bit upset because I thought oh great, this thread is going to be a big joke.  But then I realized that people could come on to the thread and discuss Bozo the clown and that would be fine-- because it keeps the thread active, and my goal is for the TCM programmers to see how popular the character actors are.  So yeah, I will take any kind of publicity I can get on this thread.  That's how serious I am about the topic.

Eeh! MY guess is that this thing all just boils down to a bunch of REALLY lonely guys on-line lookin' for dames!!!

(...and there was just a misunderstanding on their part)

Thanks Dargo for the continued comic relief and for keeping the thread hot. :)

Thanks Dargo for the continued comic relief and for keeping the thread hot. :)

You're welcome, TB.

(...and NOW go tell THIS to our friend fxreyman over in that "TCM going Blah?" thread...he seems to have a little problem with the concept of "comic relief" lately!!!!)

ROFL

You're welcome, TB.

(...and NOW go tell THIS to fxreyman over in that "TCM going Blah?" thread...he seems to have a little problem the concept of "comic relief"!!!!)

ROFL

Yeah, Dargo, some folks don't appreciate you the way I do! LOL :)

That seems like a bit of a put-down. I have more than ten thousand posts, and many threads that have scored over 2000 views (a half dozen hit the 50,000 view mark before the new boards took affect)...with this kind of posting history, most folks know by now that I do not create threads to toy with other posters.  Now, yes, I will present something as news if I see it as amazing (Drew's word not mine LOL) or worth noting. 

At first when I read Dargo's reply, I was a bit upset because I thought oh great, this thread is going to be a big joke.  But then I realized that people could come on to the thread and discuss Bozo the clown and that would be fine-- because it keeps the thread active, and my goal is for the TCM programmers to see how popular the character actors are.  So yeah, I will take any kind of publicity I can get on this thread.  That's how serious I am about the topic.

Your response only further confirms what I thought. You have a desperate need for posters to view your thread so, jokes or not from someone else, just so long as people keep on looking, that's great with you.

The fact that there doesn't appear to be much respect for your logic doesn't seem bother you at all.

As I said before, TP just wants a reaction to his silly statements here. He's a person who loves to argue. I don't quite know why so many posters want to take the bait. I know I won't anymore.

Your response only further confirms what I thought. You have a desperate need for posters to view your thread so, jokes or not from someone else, just so long as people keep on looking, that's great with you.

The fact that there doesn't appear to be much respect for your logic doesn't seem bother you at all.

As I said before, TP just wants a reaction to his silly statements here. He's a person who loves to argue. I don't quite know why so many posters want to take the bait. I know I won't anymore.

Tom,

I think you're starting to cross the line because I won't let you or some of the others dissuade me from the cause (crusade) I am on with this thread. I am sorry that you feel the need to demean my intent, and then when I try to explain my views, you return with additional comments meant to condescend, to undermine or devalue my approach. Perhaps when you do that, you are playing to an audience, you know-- the ones who will come along and click 'like' on a post where you are being disrespectful and acting superior.

I won't hold it against you personally because I have respect for all posters, but I can see you have no intention of truly being friendly and that is disappointing.  

Soooo, how's it feel to be a member of a minority???

LOL

Dargo,

Since you are one of my favorite people around here-- I wanted to ask if you watched any of the May Whitty films. My guess is that you have probably seen a lot of these films already and just come on to the message boards to have fun.

Dargo,

Since you are one of my favorite people around here-- I wanted to ask if you watched any of the May Whitty films. My guess is that you have probably seen a lot of these films already and just come on to the message boards to have fun.

Nope, Unfortunately, I didn't catch any of them this time. I mostly know Whitty from her roles in "Mrs. Miniver" and "The White Cliffs of Dover".

(...sorry, I can't go into more detail here, as our friends from Tucson have just showed up)

Edited by Dargo

TopBilled, Dame May also had more good films than Rock. His only good film was 'Seconds', and she had LOTS more than one!

Her birthday of films rocked, as did this morning's selection. TCM like it used to be. ;)

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings