Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What rarely shown movies would you like TCM to play???

What rarely shown (or never shown) movies would you like TCM to play??? My choices are...

1. Paper Moon

2. Patch of Blue

3. Defiant Ones

4. Viva Zapata

5. The Fugitive Kind

6. Bedtime Story

7. The Ten Commandments

8. Ben Hur

9. Poseiden Adventure

10. Cool Hand Luke

11. Hud

12. Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?

13. East of Eden

14. Dead Ringer

15. 3 Faces of Eve

These are only a few that come to my mind. They are either very rarely played or have never been shown on TCM. It would be a great idea if TCM would devote a week to showing some of the classic, never shown films someday.

Several on your list are shown fairly frequently (e.g. A Patch of Blue was on last week!); many of the others are not in TCM's library (meaning TCM would have to pay $$$ to show them). However, you have listed some terrific films that would be great to see on TCM (again).

"The Ten Commandments", "Ben-Hur" and "Poseidon Adventure" are not in the Turner Library. If I remember correctly, "Ten Commandments" and "Ben-Hur" are Paramount films and "Poseidon Adventure" is a Fox film.

Thanks...can TCM eventually expand their library or possibly rent some of these classic films out? It seems like they play some movies over and over and other classics are never shown. If you happen to be a Humphrey Bogart or Cary Grant fan - you get to see all of their movies repeated many times. I think TCM is a great station, but I think expanding the library would be something to think about in the future.

A movie I would like to see is "1900", directed by the same person who directed The Conformist, which aired last week(Bernardo Bertolucci). This movie stars Burt Lancaster, Robert De Niro and Donald Sutherland. It would have to be shown with subtitles and not dubbed of course. NexFlix does not have it so it may be hard to show.

Yes, I think 1900 is a film that deserves to be seen again. I've seen Bernardo Bertolucci's epic in two versions. One is a dubbed 4 hour American version that Paramount issued with the voices of DeNiro, Lancaster, Sutherland, and Sterling Hayden, and the dubbed 5-odd hour Italian version with strange voices to match the faces of DeNiro, Lancaster, Sutherland, Depardieu and the rest. Italian films were made that way (shot first then dubbed later) and it would be super to see the complete film with the original actors' voices. Who knows if we ever will. A friend of mine was in a bar in Toronto talking with Kiefer Sutherland and he mentioned to Kiefer that his favourite film of his father's was 1900 and Kiefer thought that was excellent, because he said it was his own favourtie of his father's and nobody ever goes with that one---they always go with Eye of the Needle or another popular favourite. Sutherland was such a creep in 1900, my goodness. And Ennio Morricone's score is, I think, one of his best (the title tune is something that's never left me, and I find myself humming it at the strangest times, even though I haven't seen the film for years).

I'd particulary like to see the silent version of The Merry Widow shown. I remember it being shown about 3 years ago but TCM listed the wrong run time for it and I missed taping about ten minutes of it. I'd also like to see the Lilian Gish silent version of La Boheme.

I would like to see "The Bicycle Thief". I would like to see this movie scheduled during prime time Eastern time instead of the 2:00 A.M. and 4:15 A.M. Eastern time slot it is usually given.

This is a well respected and great movie. Habitually scheduling this movie in the overnight period is down right disrespectful to classic film fans.

As noted, several of the films in "Great Movies" list have been shown recently on TCM. Several of the others have been on Fox Movie Channel, and the others are readily available on DVD or tape.

I want to see some of the fun, Pre-Code films that are not oherwise available outside of a rep theater.

Nick,

Say, I have the silent version of THE MERRY WIDOW (1925), with Mae Murry, and John Gilbert on Super VHS ET, and will be making up a DVD-R of this feature soon! I haven't heard from you in quite awhile, and I have since lost your E-mail address? Hope to hear from you again very soon!

Quote: "Thanks...can TCM eventually expand their library or possibly rent some of these classic films out? ... I think expanding the library would be something to think about in the future."

Unfortunately it's not as easy as that. As someone else said, it costs money for TCM to license movies owned by other studios and their programming budget only allows for for so many dollars to be spent on this. Another hurdle that has to be cleared is that the other studio has to be willing to deal. For example, "3 Faces of Eve" is a Fox title. Fox is probably not going to want to let TCM air this when they can air it on their own channel. That would be like Ford giving Chevy some of Ford's best features to put on Chevy cars.

Since Columbia and Paramount don't have their own channels, their classic films are more likely to be shown on TCM. I myself have requested that TCM try to broker a deal to show a lot of the Columbia mystery series (Boston ****, Lone Wolf, Crime Doctor) that don't get aired on other networks.

As for TCM's library, I've also requested that Warren William be given spotlight treatment so that some of his rarely shown pre-codes and his "The Case of the Howling Dog" can get shown.

For reasons already stated, there are many problems in acquiring films from other studios. I understand as you all do that TCM is able to do this from time to time and we should be happy to get them when we can. But making requests for specific movies is probably a waste of time. The imported movies are probably part of a block and determined by themes etc.

More pertinent, in my view, is getting TCM to play ?rarely shown? movies that are already ownded by TCM. There used to be a promo spot that showed someone counting the number of movies that TCM had, it was more than 5,000. That?s a lot of movies. TCM averages about 15 movies a day times 30 comes out to 450 movies per month. Based on these numbers, it would take TCM 11 months to show every movie they have without repeating a single one of them. Granted, in would be inane to do this, but the math nevertheless shows that there are necessarily a certain number of movies that have been gathering dust in the vaults.

Theoretically, TCM repeats many of the warhorses over and over in order to attract the new viewer, so that the latter can see, yes indeed, this is really a classic movie channel. But by showing movies around the clock one would think that they could get their warhorses in while at the same time have plenty of opportunity to air some of the lesser known films (some of them really gems, curios, etc) as well.

It would be nice if TCM could actually let us know every title in their inventory. But of course they won?t, and who can blame them. We would be constantly on their case to show such and such a movie. It would be a nightmare for them. (Unless, of course, they would let us vote movies in)

Anyone know the last time Golden Dawn was aired? I keep waiting for it. It was made in 1930, set in Africa. It?s a delightful, quaint, little film with musical numbers interspersed (not a conventional musical, however) and typically pre-code in that there are some social consciousness controversies here and there, etc., i.e., the usual. I don?t think TCM is afraid to show it---I think it?s neglected like many others in their library.

I have roughly 2,000 movies on VHS from TCM going back to 1994 and I am quite sure I could list numerous titles in my inventory that have not shown up for months and months or even years. My target category in the early years were pre-codes and 30s in general. I look over the list and I have a myriad of films for ?30-?34. When you glance at the schedule these days, you just don?t see them (as much).

All this being said, TCM is still, hands down, the best there is. I just wish they would visit the vaults more often.

I agree that TCM is a wonderful channel. They show films that you would never see on any other network. However, they do show certain films over and over--Casablanca, On The Waterfront, Maltese Falcon, etc. A previous poster mentioned Golden Dawn. My cable provider has had TCM since 1995 and I didn't see it until a couple of years ago. They have yet to show The Singing Fool with Al Jolson; I last saw it on TNT around 1990. I also love the precodes and wish they would show more of the films that are not availble on DVD such as Paramount and Universal films of the 1930's.

First and foremost...Crime Wave (1954)...and it's a WB title.

Others...

anything from Lippert Pictures in the 1950s

more film noir

more pre-codes

from Universal: Naked Alibi (1954); Naked Dawn (1955; Edgar Ulmer); Star in the Dust (1956)

the John Wayne estate titles from Paramount Home Video (Island in the Sky; 7 Men From Now; The High and the Mighty)

anything in 2-strip CineColor

Gotta agree with Cool Hand Luke, for sure, although most of your list is "newer" classics and I prefer older ones. I never liked Paul Newman, to put it very mild, until CHL and now it's one of my favorite movies and I've learned to like and respect Newman.

My other requests would be Of Mice and Men, (Meredith and Chaney version, of course). Letter to 3 Wives and as I complain on other threads, anything by Ty Power. lol

Home Sweet Homicide (1946). Loved the novel, but I've never seen the movie. Everytime I encounter a mention of this movie on the internet, it's from people who fondly remember seeing it 40 or more years ago. Nobody seems to have seen it recently.

Thames HOLLYWOOD has aired on TCM in the past. Although it has been awhile since they have last run it.

Ironically, I just happen have this entire 13 part documentary on 5 DVD-R's! All of them processed from laser-disc! Interestingly enough, several people have actually asked me about this outstanding Kevin Brownlow-David Gill produced series, in just the past couple weeks! In fact I was just watching one of the episodes earlier this evening!

How about a month of Columbia Pictures mystery movie series: Boston ****, Lone Wolf, Ellery Queen, Crime Doctor, I love a mystery....

Or those great Monogram Pictures movie series like Bomba the jungle boy, Private Snaffu, Joe Palooka, Jiggs and Maggs, Renfrew of the royal mounted, Tailspin Tommy, Frankie Darro and Mantan Moreland,

Or this Universal Pictures series: Little Though Kids

Or 20th Century Fox series like Michael Shayne, Mr Moto,

Or Paramount Pictures series: Henry Aldrich, Bulldog Drummond, Dr. Fu Manchu,

I think a lot of movie series are overlooked and deserved to be seen. Thank you for your time