Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What rarely shown movies would you like TCM to play???

I agree regarding seeing more of Sydney Poitier's less serious/tense roles. I particularly remember liking A Piece of the Action. I think they're not shown too often (if at all - I personally haven't seen them on TCM) because '70's films aren't in the rotation that much. I don't know who they belong to either - that, I have learned here, has a great deal to do with what channels show what movies.

All three of the Sidney Poitier-directed comedies (Uptown Saturday Night, A Piece of the Action, and Let's Do It Again) are available on VHS and DVD.

Didn't those run during the Star of the Month program for Sidney Poitier 2 or 3 years ago?

These were Warner Bros theatrical releases and are on the Warner Home Video label, so they probably belong to one of TCM's sister companies, though not to the Turner library itself.

bollywood101 --- what a great idea!; let's honor the man BEFORE he dies.

I would love to see two favorite from my youth: "Tom Brown's School Days" and "Rocking Horse Winner" both with child actor John Howard Davies.

Reginna

The 1954 version of A Star is Born with the informative, fascinating commentary by the late film historian Ron Haver is outstanding. Haver relates lots of behind-the-scene details about the making of the film, and explains about the missing footage and the difficulties of reassembling the film. TCM showed this audio commentary version about two years ago. Unfortunately, the DVD now on the market does not include the audio commentary. This commentary makes us appreciate Judy more than ever--and shows without a doubt that George Cukor was an outstanding director.

I would like to add two Bob Hope movies to this list - "The Cat and the Canary" with Paulette Goddard, and "The Iron Petticoat" with Katharine Hepburn. Have never seen either film, and I know "The Ghost Breakers" is often shown. I have always wondered why the first Hope-Goddard pairing is so elusive. I just want to see "Petticoat" to judge if it is as bad as its reputation suggests.

The Silver Cord--Irene Dunne, Joel McCrea

The Merry Widow--Mae Murray, John Gilbert

and ANYTHING with William Haines, Alice White, Dorothy Mackaill, Bessie Love, or Ruth Chatterton!!

I can't believe it but one of the movies on my request list was chosen!!!

Cowboy Quarterback, The / 1939

CAST: Marie Wilson, Bert Wheeler, William Demarest.

A football scout tries to get a legendary runner back into the game. BW 56m.

Comedy. D: Noel Smith.

PLAYING ON TCM: 11/07/2005 04:00 AM

Check it out... I'll be there...

Yancey

There's a movie starring Doris Day and Danny Thomas called I'll See You In My Dreams. the movie's about the composer Gus Kahn ( Danny Thomas ). It's a great movie. It played on TCM a while ago. Maybe a few years back. But I liked it a lot.

Does anyone know--Does TCM have access to Universal films? I'd like to see some more of Marlene Dietrich's movies, like "A Foreign Affair" (excellent satire/black comedy about occupied Germany after WWII directed by the great Billy Wilder)or "Seven Sinners." I have them on VHS, but I like to share movies with friends and can't always send the VHS tape to them so it would be nice to say, "Hey, you know that movie I've been bugging you to see? Well, it's on TCM tomorrow night..."

I'd also like to see "Lured" with Lucille Ball--I like her in her smart-mouth streetwise roles. (Hepburn's friend in "Without Love" or her role in "Stage Door" for example) For people who only know her as Lucy Ricardo, those roles are a nice change.

There's a discussion thread in one of the forums that lists the film libraries that are part of the Turner Collection.

It's great reading for those interested.

Lynn in Sherman Oaks

www.classiclasvegas.com

Thanks very much movielover - you guys know all the secrets. lol WHAT A DISAPPOINTMENT November's schedule is - *sigh* - almost no new movies, just repeats of all we've had in the previous 10 months. Is it my imagination or didn't TCM used to be programmed MUCH better? I'm truly unhappy about this and I'm sure I won't be alone. Grant it there are some new B movies in November, but even few of those. :-( :-( :-(

Despite the ubiquitous showings of the usual suspects (WHITE HEAT, KEY LARGO) there are quite a few rarer films in the batch which I'm looking forward to seeing - DESERT NIGHTS with John Gilbert, BACK PAY with Corrine Griffith, LONG LOST FATHER with John Barrymore, the silent SCARAMOUCHE with Ramon Novarro plus some definite Pre-Codes just based on naughty titles: STRICTLY CONVENTIONAL from '30, MY PAST ('31) with Bebe Daniels and UNASHAMED with Helen Twelvetrees and Robt Young.

There is the premiere of a new doc on Merian Cooper to coincide with the new KONG plus showings of GRASS and LAST DAYS OF POMPEII ('35).

I know some of you had been wanting the silent BOHEME with Gish and Gilbert; there's also the exciting HELL BELOW ('33) sub film with Robert Montgomery and Walter Huston.

Overall, I am pretty enticed by the line-up!

>> I would like to see and/or purchase the movie "The

>> Cheaters", (1945) staring; Joseph Shildkraut, Eugene

>> Pallette, and Billie Burke. Directed by Joseph Kane.

>> One of the great underrated Christmas movies of all

>> time which is in great danger of dissapearing into

>> oblivion.

>

> Just read the plot summary for this over at imdb -

> gosh this sounds familiar but if I saw it - it had

> to be years ago! I'm casting a vote for this one too!

Watching this movie became a Christmas eve tradition in my family. Unfortunately, television stations have apparently stopped playing it completely and I only have a very poor quality VHS copy with commercials. Please bring this wonderful film back into rotation. It is sorely missed.

Hi...I saw one on TCM last month that I'd never seen or even heard of before and would LOVE to see again. I wish I had taped it. The movie was called "Gabriel Over the White House," and starred Walter Huston. I would imagine it was the inspiration for the modern-day movie "Dave" but it's far superior to the present-day version. At the end of it I was just sitting there with my mouth hanging open, and spent the rest of the day lost in thought. Not often a movie hits me that hard!

Trout

This is an aside to movieslover1000. Back to your post of 11 Aug you posted a message with a link in it. In your link were two straight lines isolating a 0(zero?). How did you make those straight lines? My keyboard doesn't have any straight line key, so what else would work, if anything? Thanks. :) Sue