Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

GEORGY GIRL on TCM

HoldenIsHere

I don't know about the formatting, Holden baby, I don't pay much attention to that stuff.

But ! I do have a few thoughts about Georgy Girl.

Saw it for about the 10th time last night. But I think now I'll give it a good long rest. I didn't like it as much as previously, and saw a number of things in it I had trouble with.

For one thing: I've never, never,understood why Georgy is so obsessed with someone else's baby. Ok, yes, she has a very strong maternal instinct, and the film's already made it clear she loves children.

But come on ! She basically throws away the most exciting and fun time of her life - she's 22, and just fallen in love - for some baby !

And it's not as though she can't have a baby of her own some time. She and Jos  could have gotten together without that wretched baby, he and Meredith could easily have divorced, and then Georgy could have had her own kid, with Jos.

Admittedly, it's a little odd that Jos has absolutely no fatherly feeling for "Sarah". 

But for Georgy to sacrifice this fun time in her life and do all the drudgery - and it is drudgery - the laundry, the "nappy" changing, the sleeplessness, the complete lack of freedom - yes, of course, you love the baby and it's all worth it- but it's frustrating, and not a little improbable, that she is so willing to do all this for a child who really had nothing to do with her.

But George is only 22, it's not her child, and she could have done that whole maternal thing with her own baby a little later. I find it hard to believe that she would be so besotted with this baby that she's willing to give up everything else, including the possibility for any future romantic love, either with Jos or with someone else.

Also: How come Georgy has no familial feeling at all for either of her parents, nor they for her? Her obsequious father only cares about pleasing his "master". And her mother is incredibly un-motherly, barely seems to realize George is her daughter.

Ironic, when you see how obsessive Georgy herself is about all things maternal. Maybe to compensate for her own mother, or something?

Also: Again about Georgy's parents: How come Georgy is so playful, so free-spirited and imaginative, and her own parents are stodgier than overcooked potatoes? Ok, she's young and they're not. But shirley such people would not have produced, with their combined stodgey DNA, such a lively and intelligent child, one who loves music and dancing and play-acting and joking around, when they both seem as though they've never even laughed in their entire lives.

The ending reminds me a little of the ending of The Graduate, where, despite a supposedly happy ending, the hero looks more than a little doubtful, now that he's gotten what he thought he wanted.Both George and James look similarly uncertain.

• Like 1

Also: How come Georgy has no familial feeling at all for either of her parents, nor they for her? Her obsequious father only cares about pleasing his "master". And her mother is incredibly un-motherly, barely seems to realize George is her daughter.

Ironic, when you see how obsessive Georgy herself is about all things maternal. Maybe to compensate for her own mother, or something?

Yep, that's how I always saw it, anyway.

I think this whole social dynamic is played out every day in the world, and when in many cases naive teenage girls purposely get pregnant primarily for the reason that they never felt love from their(often inept) parents, and thus begin to believe having a baby will give them "someone to love" and hopefully perhaps "someone to love them back".

• Like 2

The ending reminds me a little of the ending of The Graduate, where, despite a supposedly happy ending, the hero looks more than a little doubtful, now that he's gotten what he thought he wanted.Both George and James look similarly uncertain.

Yes, and while I do like the movie overall --- and like Lynn Redgrave and James Mason in their roles --- Mason's character's pursuit of Redgrave's Georgy as his mistress is a bit creepy especially that scene where he brings out the contract outlining the terms of their arrangement. 

I noticed in this viewing that James Mason has a North Country accent in this movie.

Is this expained at all in the film? Is this perhaps Mason's "real" accent?

On this viewing I also found that I enjoyed Charlotte Rampling's Meredith even though she is clearly presented as a negative character.

She reminded me a bit of Julie Christie's Diana Scott from DARLING, although with Diana we do see more of the character's vulnerability than we see of Meredith's In GEORGY GIRL. But, of course, this movie is not about Meredith. 

I'm glad that Robert Osborne mentioned that the melody of the title song was written by Tom Springfield (aka Dion O'Brien), who is the brother of Dusty Springfield (aka Mary Isobel Catherine Bernadette O'Brien).

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE  Dusty!!!!

Here is one of my favorite Dusty recordings, which is a duet with Tom, who also wrote the song ("Morning Please Don't Come").

I love the song and its sentiment.

I am a huge fan of the film Georgy Girl.  Although classified a comedy it is truly a very sad film in many ways.

For me the real stand outs  are Alan Bates and Charlotte Rampling.   It is not that I don't like both Lynn Redgrave and James Mason, I do, and they play their roles well.  However I find myself being more interested in the Jos and Meredith characters.   Meredith truly is such a horrible person and yet she seems to have men falling at her feet.   Is it only because she is so physically attractive?  And if that is the only reason it certainly explains a lot more about Jos then it does Meredith.  

I found his transformation into Georgy's lover to be at the heart of the film and not James Mason's character.  Jos is an infinitely more interesting character and although you know he will never ultimately end up staying with Georgy you never doubt his love for her.  He leaves because he knows he is not what she ( Georgy ) truly needs. It is probably the first selfless thing he has ever done in his life.  That is what makes the ending so unfulfilling.   Not just for James Mason's character but for me as well.   The only person who is happy at the end is Georgy.  But at what cost?  True love with Jos?  A life of her own?  She's happy now but I suspect it will not last.  

He leaves because he knows he is not what Georgy  truly needs. It is probably the first selfless thing he has ever done in his life.  That is what makes the ending so unfulfilling.   Not just for James Mason's character but for me as well. 

That's the crux of the story-selfishness/unselfishness.

I like that Georgy is finally receiving the loving support she deserves from the Mason charactor. It illustrates love can take many forms. 

And yes, men flocked to Meredith only for her beauty (didn't she wear Mary Quant clothes?) because it was the free lovin' 60's and that's what men want. That's the contrast the older Mason charactor illustrates.

It's natural that kids want to be the exact opposite of their parents, I know I shirley did. (but fast turning into my mother-eeegah!)

Old-Lady.jpg

...I'm glad that Robert Osborne mentioned that the melody of the title song was written by Tom Springfield (aka Dion O'Brien), who is the brother of Dusty Springfield (aka Mary Isobel Catherine Bernadette O'Brien).

Here is one of my favorite Dusty recordings, which is a duet with Tom, who also wrote the song ("Morning Please Don't Come").

I love the song and its sentiment.

Thanks for that, Holden. I'd never heard that song before; actually, never even heard of it before.

What a sweet and delicate melody.

Oh yeah Holden, I do too!

In fact MY favorite Dusty Springfield song was always, "Relieve Me".

WHAT?! You say you don't remember that ONE? SURE you do! It went like this...

You don't have to say you love me,

just take off your clothes

You don't have to hold it for me,

I know where it goes

Relieve me

Relieve me

Relieve me

(...yeah, sorry...we made these lyrics up in Jr. High, and to this day, every time I hear this song on the radio I STILL think of 'em...yeah, yeah, some kids never grow up, I know, I know!!!) ;)

MY favorite Dusty Springfield song was always, "Relieve Me".

WHAT?! You say you don't remember that ONE? SURE you do! It went like this...

You don't have to say you love me . . .

Dargo, Dargo, Dargo  . . .  

Actually, the English lyrics of "You Don't Have to Say You Love Me" (written for Dusty by her friend and later manager Vicki Wickham and Simon Napier-Bell, who was manager of the Yardbirds) were not a direct translation of the Italian song from which it was adapted.

Both Wickham and Napier-Bell admit that they had no understanding of the original Italian lyrics so they came up with their own lyrics to fit the song's melody.

In their account, they went back to Wickham's apartment to work on the lyrics one night after dinner out, but they wanted to be at a trendy dance club in about an hour so they wrote the chorus at the apartment and the verse in the taxi ride to the club.

So, possibly, maybe YOUR lyrics are closer to the original Italian meaning . . .

• 3 months later...

Sorry, my post just disappeared, whoosh, gone.

Anyway, yes, Mr. Mason was from the "north country."  He was born in Huddersfield in Yorkshire.  Although, his education at Cambridge probably smoothed out some of those Yorkshire vowels.

I adore Mr. Mason and loathe GEORGY GIRL.  Hate everything about it.

• 2 years later...

GEORGY GIRL is a good movie but I wonder why the version shown on TCM yesterday was in pan-and-scan except for the opening credits (which were letterboxed).

When GEORGY GIRL aired on TCM today, the entire movie was presented in the correct aspect ratio (widescreen).

Yay! No pan-and-scan! No heebie jeebies! 

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings