Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TopBilled

TCM and Other Sources for Classic Film

Hammer horror, 1960s family and Don Knotts comedies and 50s sci-fi.  :D

AND, don't forget movies about Genghis Khan, starring a certain tall drink o' water actor TOO, pilgrim!!! ;)

LOL

AND, don't forget movies about Genghis Khan, starring a certain tall drink o' water actor TOO, pilgrim!!! ;)

LOL

The Dukester! Dam straight.  :D

2vm9esz.jpg

• Like 1

"and introducing clint eastwood" - that put me away

Hmmmm...considering the era THIS particular "Superman" would have been shot in, like maybe the late '50s, shouldn't that have read: "And introducing Clint Eastwood, "Rowdy Yates" from television's RAWHIDE"?

(...AND, Big Duke by THIS time would've needed even a LARGER sized hairpiece than he NORMALLY wore AND with that little curl across the forehead to even BEGIN to pull off THIS Superman, now wouldn't HE???)

LOL

Someone help me out here, I can't think of any movie role with  the Duke wearing  glasses?   Maybe Clark Kent would wear an eye patch?

Someone help me out here, I can't think of any movie role with  the Duke wearing  glasses?   Maybe Clark Kent would wear an eye patch?

I seem to recall that one of the few movies the Duke wears spectacles is in McLintock! He is shown wearing glasses during his defense of the Indians at their tribunal. He also wears glasses for a few moments in Big Jake when he first sees his wife after many years (played by Maureen O'Hara).

I am curious TopBilled, as to WHY this kind of information is so important to you. You seem to be really into "numbers" and "popularity". I'm not criticizing you, just curious....

Two answers. The easiest answer: I like to see if my favorites correspond to the general public. (ie general public's favorites)

So your fascination with numbers & popularity are just personal quirks.....not professional research or anything of that kind. 

The harder answer: I think the data can be used to bring about change in terms of programming, or else it can be used to continue current programming.

Not sure I'm in total agreement with you on this one. I honestly think TCM's buyers can only choose from what's offered and what they can afford. I doubt very much we, the viewers, have much say in it.

As I understand, studios offer "packages" containing a few "desirable" titles along with a group of stinkers. They also dictate how often each title can be broadcast. It's usually not up to the "buyer", but the "seller" to determine what's included in each "package".

But, if the "programming changes" you're referring to is TCMs, like Underground or Silent Sundays, then yes, I do think we as viewers have influence.

Now if people are asking why this information is important to me to get me to stop posting the top ten each day, that is simply not going to happen. 

My question was a sincere one & I thank you for replying sincerely. 

My only beef with your posts is your avatar-and it's wholly personal- you look like a goof I know in the movie industry. (I prefer anonymous representational avatars)

• Like 1

How could you miss this one.. She Wore a Yellow Ribbon (1949)

2r5t5s3.jpg

I doubt very much we, the viewers, have much say in it.

The 'suggest a movie' function is the most say we have. I'm given to understand that posts are sometimes read by TCM staffers and ideas about possible showings are garnered from that as well - but the 'suggest' is the best way to make sure they know what we want to see specifically.

How could you miss this one.. She Wore a Yellow Ribbon (1949)

2r5t5s3.jpg

Yep, that's the Duke wearin' glasses.  :D

Charlie Tabesh, TCM Senior Vice President of Programming

I am curious TopBilled, as to WHY this kind of information is so important to you. You seem to be really into "numbers" and "popularity". I'm not criticizing you, just curious....

Two answers. The easiest answer: I like to see if my favorites correspond to the general public. (ie general public's favorites)

So your fascination with numbers & popularity are just personal quirks.....not professional research or anything of that kind. 

The harder answer: I think the data can be used to bring about change in terms of programming, or else it can be used to continue current programming.

Not sure I'm in total agreement with you on this one. I honestly think TCM's buyers can only choose from what's offered and what they can afford. I doubt very much we, the viewers, have much say in it.

As I understand, studios offer "packages" containing a few "desirable" titles along with a group of stinkers. They also dictate how often each title can be broadcast. It's usually not up to the "buyer", but the "seller" to determine what's included in each "package".

But, if the "programming changes" you're referring to is TCMs, like Underground or Silent Sundays, then yes, I do think we as viewers have influence.

Now if people are asking why this information is important to me to get me to stop posting the top ten each day, that is simply not going to happen. 

My question was a sincere one & I thank you for replying sincerely. 

My only beef with your posts is your avatar-and it's wholly personal- you look like a goof I know in the movie industry. (I prefer anonymous representational avatars)

Note that the post by Fxreyman addresses many of the questions raised here.    It is an interview with Charlie Tabesh, TCM Senior Vice President of Programming.

Mostly it supports the points you're making.   e.g.   the odds TCM uses database searches to determine what films to obtain is very, very unlikely.

Hammer horror, 1960s family and Don Knotts comedies and 50s sci-fi.  :D

Hey,  not knocking the type of films you like (but I'm surprised you didn't throw in John Wayne movies!),   but there is no way to know if there really would be a sizeable enough market to support a network under an ala carte type system.    My guts tell me NO.  

Of course that happy face implies you're just joking.  That is OK too but if that is the case it just goes to show that it is very difficult to determine what type of 'classic' movie programming is necessary for a profitable network.

Note that this weeks article in the L.A. Times by Susan King is all about ME-TV and stations that are marketing 'old' TV content.    As I have mentioned before Susan King is a Times columnist that typically writes about the classic (studio era),  movies.   She mentions TCM in over half of her articles.

THEREFORE:   TopBilled might be on to something.   NOW,   Ms. King does NOT mention TCM in her article as it relates to any 'cutting in' on their audience.    

I might just e-mail her to ask what she thinks (she is very nice and has returned my e-mails).

Note that this weeks article in the L.A. Times by Susan King is all about ME-TV and stations that are marketing 'old' TV content.    As I have mentioned before Susan King is a Times columnist that typically writes about the classic (studio era),  movies.   She mentions TCM in over half of her articles.

THEREFORE:   TopBilled might be on to something.   NOW,   Ms. King does NOT mention TCM in her article as it relates to any 'cutting in' on their audience.    

I might just e-mail her to ask what she thinks (she is very nice and has returned my e-mails).

If you do, let us know what she says. Sounds like it could be interesting...

Not ME-TV, not for me at least, but GET-TV could do some damage, if only it had no commercials.

GET-TV had an excellent spate of Whistler movies last evening, some I'm never seen. Odd little 'B' movies, each one a morality play, with Richard Dix always as the lead. No doubt about it, that man is dreamy.

Another sad loss - he died at 56. Oh, and he was from MN too, like my first love - guess they grew them lovely out there. :wub:

Not ME-TV, not for me at least, but GET-TV could do some damage, if only it had no commercials.

I am assuming that you are referring to GET-TV's amount of viewers taking away audience members from TCM?

Where is your evidence? Do you happen to know just how many people watch GET-TV or any of the other "free" television channels showing mostly older television shows and so-called classic movies with commercials?

Since none of these channels subscribe to the Nielsen Ratings services we may never know. Of course many of these channels are broadcast over free television or on basic cable so there could be millions of people watching.

We will just never know.

Since none of these channels subscribe to the Nielsen Ratings services we may never know. Of course many of these channels are broadcast over free television or on basic cable so there could be millions of people watching.

We will just never know.

They may not officially subscribe to the Nielsens, but the Nielsens are still recording data on their viewership. Earlier this year I was selected as a Nielsen household. I called the number provided and told them more than half the hours I watch TV include watching TCM. I said, if it doesn't count, should I not write it down-- and I was told to write it down. So somewhere, they have all kinds of data about folks like me who are watching TCM, or watching the rival stations that broadcast classic movies.

If anything, it can be used to take ratings away from network television. 

They may not officially subscribe to the Nielsens, but the Nielsens are still recording data on their viewership. Earlier this year I was selected as a Nielsen household. I called the number provided and told them more than half the hours I watch TV include watching TCM. I said, if it doesn't count, should I not write it down-- and I was told to write it down. So somewhere, they have all kinds of data about folks like me who are watching TCM, or watching the rival stations that broadcast classic movies.

But what if you hadn't volunteered that info about your TCM viewing?  If only half the TCM viewers who get chosen for the survey mention it, that likely means that TCM's viewship will be undercounted by the same percentage.  Which is why I suspect TCM doesn't rely on data like that, since it's imperfect at best.

GET-TV had an excellent spate of Whistler movies last evening, some I'm never seen. Odd little 'B' movies, each one a morality play, with Richard Dix always as the lead. No doubt about it, that man is dreamy.

Another sad loss - he died at 56. Oh, and he was from MN too, like my first love - guess they grew them lovely out there. :wub:

We also will never know which state "grew them lovely" most often.

Looks like I stand corrected about the Duke wearing glasses.  Now I've lost all respect for him :rolleyes:

I cannot believe this thread is about to hit 8000 views. I thought it would have faded out around 5000.

Though I originally focused on ME-TV, I think the channel that sometimes steals me away from TCM is Retroplex and other Encore channels that show studio era films without commercials.

Yesterday I was able to see MR. SOFT TOUCH (1949) on Retroplex and today it was 7TH CAVALRY (1956) on the Encore Westerns Channel as well as SUNSET BOULEVARD (1950) on the Encore Suspense Channel. These are films I enjoyed having the chance to watch.

Universal's THE INVISIBLE WOMAN-- a Svengoolie hosted film on ME-TV last night (July 5) is the second most-searched title on the TCM database today.

The question must be asked and I, an aging couch potato slash space cadet will ask it. Is Me TV better than TCM where the sci-fi/horror genres are concerned? I say yes. Consider this. Next week Svengoolie of Me TV will be showing Creature From The Black Lagoon just as tcm has many, many, many times already these past few years. But here's the thing, Me TV is following up with both Gill-Man sequels, Revenge of the Creature and The Creature Walks Among Us. When was the last time tcm aired those two Creature follow-ups? I can't remember. 

• Like 1

But what if you hadn't volunteered that info about your TCM viewing?  If only half the TCM viewers who get chosen for the survey mention it, that likely means that TCM's viewship will be undercounted by the same percentage.  Which is why I suspect TCM doesn't rely on data like that, since it's imperfect at best.

Andy, you are correct. According to the Vice President of Programming Charlie Tabesh, TCM does not subscribe to the Nielsens simply because they do not show commercials. Period. According to Mr. Tabesh, at one time TCM did pay for some special reports from Neilsen to determine which movies had the biggest audiences but that was pretty much it. He also indicated that they would never even consider ratings as to which movies they would program. This from the horses mouth.