Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TopBilled

TCM and Other Sources for Classic Film

Yes, I wondered the same thing. He is very keen on which threads need winding down. I also find it interesting that the moment one starts asking questions of him, he along with some others depart.

I am cutting back on the number of posts and voluntarily phasing out my participation on the message boards. There are some threads that remain important to me, and even if I am not posting on them, I will likely continue to read them. 

I definitely don't want to see TCM add commercials-- the lack of advertising is what makes TCM so much better than their competitors.  

I am tempted to launch a News thread in favor of commercials. Now that will easily reach 10,000 views in about two days.  I am kidding, of course...but I am not against some traditional advertising on the channel, even if I am in the minority on that opinion.  I am sure that if it ever happens, people will point up AMC as the prime example-- and then there will be others (again) defending TCM saying it is a necessary evil, because a programming executive said so. So we shall see...

I am tempted to launch a News thread in favor of commercials. Now that will easily reach 10,000 views in about two days.  I am kidding, of course...but I am not against some traditional advertising on the channel, even if I am in the minority on that opinion.  I am sure that if it ever happens, people will point up AMC as the prime example-- and then there will be others (again) defending TCM saying it is a necessary evil, because a programming executive said so. So we shall see...

If the time ever came where TCM was forced to include traditional advertising, I'd hope they'd just schedule the commercials between films and not during them.  It breaks up the pacing of the film when they cut to a commercial in the middle of a car chase scene, for example. 

I don't mind when TCM airs commercials advertising new releases in the TCM shop.  The only commercials I ever remember enjoying was when TVLand first launched, back in '95? '96? and instead of regular commercials, they'd air old commercials from the 60s and 70s advertising products that were still available in current times, but they were vintage commercials.  I enjoyed those, they were funny and often had all the catchy slogans and jingles.  Not that I want commercials mind you, but if TCM had to resort to commercials in order to stay in business, it'd be fun if they could go that route and show old school commercials instead.  I don't think McDonalds would care if a 1970 Big Mac commercial aired as long as it brought in customers.

Once again it's those darn TCM apologists who just keep coming back to disagree with all of those naysayers out there who dare attempt to say things that clearly are not the case.

Just because I have listed quotes from Charlie Tabesh does not mean that I am an apologist for TCM. I will stand up for the channel and defend the channel when I think others who post their opinions here as FACTS need to be addressed.

Let me ask you something. Do you think that in the 20 years since TCM has been around there has ever been discussions at the Atlanta office of TCM for showing commercials like AMC started to do? Because I really think that the Time Warner parent is quite satisfied to have at least one gold-plated channel in their offerings. I don't think any of their other channels have ever won a Peabody Award before. So I think, IMHO that Time Warner is happy with TCM and will allow the channel to continue to make their own decisions as far as programming and the exclusion of commercials.

Once again it's those darn TCM apologists who just keep coming back to disagree with all of those naysayers out there who dare attempt to say things that clearly are not the case.

Just because I have listed quotes from Charlie Tabesh does not mean that I am an apologist for TCM. I will stand up for the channel and defend the channel when I think others who post their opinions here as FACTS need to be addressed.

Let me ask you something. Do you think that in the 20 years since TCM has been around there has ever been discussions at the Atlanta office of TCM for showing commercials like AMC started to do? Because I really think that the Time Warner parent is quite satisfied to have at least one gold-plated channel in their offerings. I don't think any of their other channels have ever won a Peabody Award before. So I think, IMHO that Time Warner is happy with TCM and will allow the channel to continue to make their own decisions as far as programming and the exclusion of commercials.

Need to qualify a few items. First, TCM has ads, plenty of 'em, for DVDs and cruises and festivals and lions and tigers and bears oh my. It does not have what I call traditional ads (like an outside company trying to sell aspirin or hosiery in thirty seconds). 

Also, where did the term TCM apologist come from?  I laugh every time I read that-- because it's funny, while there is a ring of truth underscoring it.

Again, I am not against ads on TCM and its various platforms. I think the question is whether or not the films are interrupted with ads inserted during a film presentation.

You know, no one is forcing you to watch TCM.

So why sit here and complain about titles TCM never shows? Have you ever written to TCM to ask them why they don't program certain titles? Apparently not.

Because imo it doesn't make alotta sense for tcm to have shown Creature From The Black Lagoon as many times as they have with at least not showing one of the two sequels, that's why.  :P For tcm to have scheduled Creature From The Black Lagoon as many times as they have they must think alotta their viewers like it. Maybe their viewers would like seein' them two follow-ups also.  :) ain't exactly rocket science.  :D

"Unchain me, tcm programmers, from the confines of my first feature...Florida awaits!"

ehy7k.jpg

Because imo it doesn't make alotta sense for tcm to have shown Creature From The Black Lagoon as many times as they have with at least not showing one of the two sequels, that's why.  :P For tcm to have scheduled Creature From The Black Lagoon as many times as they have they must think alotta their viewers like it. Maybe their viewers would like seein' them two follow-ups also.  :) ain't exactly rocket science.  :D

"Unchain me, tcm programmers, from the confines of my first feature...Florida awaits!"

Some leasing agreements require that TCM show a movie a certain number of times.    Other agreements require TCM to lease movies they don't wish to in order to get a movie TCM really wants.    

Therefore one shouldn't assume that just because TCM shows a movie often it is because they think a lot of their viewers like it.

Also,   those sequels where really poor quality productions.    So in this specific case I'm glad TCM doesn't show them.   Seeing them once was enough for me.    (the first one has Julie Adams and one can't go wrong there).

[...]  :rolleyes:
Edited by TCMModerator1
Edited post to remove abusive comment

Some leasing agreements require that TCM show a movie a certain number of times.    Other agreements require TCM to lease movies they don't wish to in order to get a movie TCM really wants.    

Therefore one shouldn't assume that just because TCM shows a movie often it is because they think a lot of their viewers like it.

Also,   those sequels where really poor quality productions.    So in this specific case I'm glad TCM doesn't show them.   Seeing them once was enough for me.    (the first one has Julie Adams and one can't go wrong there).

james,

I want to say something here because I keep seeing what you wrote repeated, and I do not think it should be used as a blanket statement. We do not know that the Universal horror films fall under this situation. It could very much be that TCM's programmers just went with the more well-known title and didn't dig deep or try to get the other titles/sequels because they were not interested in them.

And not every film that is overplayed is because of some license agreement. SUSPICION is very overplayed each year and that is because it's in the Turner Library, because it stars Cary Grant and Joan Fontaine, and because it has become their go-to Hitchcock title (that is, when they are not playing the other go-to Hitch title NORTH BY NORTHWEST).

Revenge of the Creature ain't that bad. We see John Agar and learn that the Gillman misses being human by just 10% in all physiological areas. Dr. Clete Ferguson (Agar) performs a battery of tests.  :D I love that 1950s sci-fi evolutionary stuff. :)  An' I just love it when the Gillman is referred to as a "devonian relic". Devonian, that's the age of fish.  :)

james,

I want to say something here because I keep seeing what you wrote repeated, and I do not think it should be used as a blanket statement. We do not know that the Universal horror films fall under this situation. It could very much be that TCM's programmers just went with the more well-known title and didn't dig deep or try to get the other titles/sequels because they were not interested in them.

And not every film that is overplayed is because of some license agreement. SUSPICION is very overplayed each year and that is because it's in the Turner Library, because it stars Cary Grant and Joan Fontaine, and because it has become their go-to Hitchcock title (that is, when they are not playing the other go-to Hitch title NORTH BY NORTHWEST).

Note I said 'SOME' and 'OTHER" as it relates to leasing agreements so anyone that would take these statements as blanket  statements would be misguided (at best).      I was only pointing out that there could be reasons other than the assumption made by the other poster.

But yea,   maybe TCM just went with a more well-known title or maybe what was just the easy movie to get.   

As I have also said many times;  The bottom line is NO one at this forum knows the various reasons why TCM does,  what it does,  at it relates to programming.        

• Like 1

Note I said 'SOME' and 'OTHER" as it relates to leasing agreements so anyone that would take these statements as blanket  statements would be misguided (at best).      I was only pointing out that there could be reasons other than the assumption made by the other poster.

But yea,   maybe TCM just went with a more well-known title or maybe what was just the easy movie to get.   

As I have also said many times;  The bottom line is NO one at this forum knows the various reasons why TCM does,  what it does,  at it relates to programming.        

I guess it wasn't too hard for Svengoolie to get the other two.  :lol:

Exactly. And we have a few people who act like experts on TCM's programming, which is nice that they are so interested in what TCM does and why-- but it is often hypothesizing at best.

I think in the case of the CREATURE features from Universal, they did go with the more well known title-- because it is easier to market, it is the more recognized one in the series.  But Nipkow is right that they should at least show one of the sequels-- after 20 years on air, they could do that.

Exactly. And we have a few people who act like experts on TCM's programming, which is nice that they are so interested in what TCM does and why-- but it is often hypothesizing at best.

I think in the case of the CREATURE features from Universal, they did go with the more well known title-- because it is easier to market, it is the more recognized one in the series.  But Nipkow is right that they should at least show one of the sequels-- after 20 years on air, they could do that.

I love it when you come on here and try to hide the fact that you really do not like it when you see others around here act as so-called experts. I have to wonder why this is so important to you to write something like this? I am venturing a guess here that you do not consider yourself an expert here on the boards either? Is this how you see yourself? Just a fan giving his opinion about the movies.

Anyone who reads your posts will invariably see the title above your avatar (icon). "Film Writing and Selected Journalism". I mean who else around here takes themselves that seriously that they have to have that kind of title above the picture they use?

Yes I would agree with you that in 99% of the cases around here a lot of hypothesizing is being done. Have I hypothesized ideas and opinions? Yes. But so has everyone else on the boards. Including you.

As far as the info I have given as it relates to Charlie Tabesh I am just reporting back the info he gave during interviews and with his phone conversation with me. I did not hypothesize any of that info as it relates to him.

With the Creature sequels, maybe TCM has tried to get those movies as well. The only way we will ever know is if someone tries and corresponds with the programmers and ask them directly. Too bad those films were never nominated for an Oscar, then I’d bet they would be shown during 31 Days. Ha ha ha.

• Like 1

'Revenge of the Creature' was a very poor sequel to be sure. A completely dispensable cash-grab.

'The Creature Walks Among Us', on the other hand, is quite interesting. I'd like to see it on TCM.

The best thing about the series is that the 2nd one can be lost forever and the story arc loses absolutely nothing. One and three is all that matters.

'Revenge of the Creature' was a very poor sequel to be sure. A completely dispensable cash-grab.

'The Creature Walks Among Us', on the other hand, is quite interesting. I'd like to see it on TCM.

The best thing about the series is that the 2nd one can be lost forever and the story arc loses absolutely nothing. One and three is all that matters.

You should be honest and acknowledge that the 2nd movie has some great moments and therefore is not completely dispensible. Revenge of the Creature is quite a bit more exciting then the first film too and that is why it should not be so cavalierly dismissed. The 3rd is very good but they use it to close the series which I don't like.

For the complete film be watching Svengoolie in about a fortnight on Me TV as I will be.  :D

You should be honest and acknowledge that the 2nd movie has some great moments and therefore is not completely dispensible. Revenge of the Creature is quite a bit more exciting then the first film too and that is why it should not be so cavalierly dismissed. The 3rd is very good but they use it to close the series which I don't like.

For the complete film be watching Svengoolie in about a fortnight on Me TV as I will be.  :D

We get more in-depth info about the Gill-man in Revenge of the Creature other then some lungfish footage in the first film but the 2nd film is dispensible.

Right.  :P

That night shot of the creature chucking a guy at the trunk of a palm tree dispensible too?  :)

As for ratings and the idea of traditional advertising on TCM, maybe it's best to let the staff of TCM speak about the subject.  

Charlie Tabesh addressed those issues two years ago in an interview (along with other issues about TCM) that writer Will McKinley attended and is highlighted in the article he wrote about that:

“Zero. We don’t get ratings. We’re not even allowed to get ratings,” he said. “When AMC went commercial many years ago, the cable affiliates freaked out, because they were getting a lot of complaints from subscribers and they wanted to make sure that TCM never added commercials. And we’ve never have plans to add commercials. I think it’s actually written into some of our affiliate agreements.” (emphasis added).

So basically airing traditional advertising of the type that other networks air would put TCM in violation of contracts that they have with some affiliates and could jeopardize the channel's future.

http://willmckinley.wordpress.com/2013/05/11/10-things-i-learned-at-the-tcm-classic-film-festival/

• Like 5

Revenge of the Creature doesn't matter.

Produced by William Alland. It doesn't matter.

Directed by Jack Arnold. It doesn't matter.

Uh-huh. That certainly makes sense.  :)

Revenge of the Creature doesn't matter.

Produced by William Alland. It doesn't matter.

Directed by Jack Arnold. It doesn't matter.

That certainly makes sense.  :)

Glad you agree.

Stupid movie - strictly for kids.

What you guys don't seem to grasp is that broadcast rights come in "packages"....the buyer doesn't get much of a choice on what's contained in each package. TCM or ME-TV "buyers" may get several movies they really don't want in order to get the one or two titles they're requesting. Even the amount of times they broadcast a title is dictated by the rights owners- this explains WHY we see NBNW or GASLIGHT numerous times. At least, this how I understand it.

The Svengoolie show on METV has some sort of exclusive relationship with Universal -if you've noticed- they only show Universal movies. TCM has to deal with ALL the major film rights owners; Fox, Sony and even the MGM titles it once owned.

Possibly Universal has sweetened the deal for Svengoolie by giving exclusive rights to some titles.

As much as I love Svengoolie, I skipped most of last month's Hammer (owned by Universal) and will skip the rest of this month's "creature" films. Universal releases these routinely for 35mm projection and I've seen them all on the big screen. But THE INVISIBLE WOMAN last week was a gem, only rarely shown on TCM.

But what I DO love about Svengoolie is his "ID that actor" or "reused footage" segments. Short, sweet, geared towards newly budding Cinephiles, simply saying, "This movie stars Edmund Gwenn, the same actor who played Santa in Miracle on 34th St and the scientist in THEM!" and "Note this same footage was used in XXX movie, that's not even Boris Karloff going up the stairs"

These tidbits spark an interest for kids to see movies in ways other than just the story. And Svengoolie is fun. I like to see ESSENTIAL JR on TCM adopt a similar approach.

• Like 2

So basically airing traditional advertising of the type that other networks air would put TCM in violation of contracts that they have with some affiliates and could jeopardize the channel's future.

This is pretty easy to pick apart. The interview is two years old and contracts do not run forever. The intention at present is not to use traditional advertising, and that's commendable. But that does not mean it will always stay that way, as much as execs insist. Economics may dictate another reality in five or ten years. At any rate, people will still be discussing it on the message boards for a long time to come. And like I said previously, I am not against traditional ads on TCM. It won't be the end of the world. I can see a compromise where traditional ads do air before or after movies-- the issue will be if the film presentations are interrupted by ads.

What you guys don't seem to grasp is that broadcast rights come in "packages"....the buyer doesn't get much of a choice on what's contained in each package. TCM or ME-TV "buyers" may get several movies they really don't want in order to get the one or two titles they're requesting. Even the amount of times they broadcast a title is dictated by the rights owners- this explains WHY we see NBNW or GASLIGHT numerous times. At least, this how I understand it.

The Svengoolie show on METV has some sort of exclusive relationship with Universal -if you've noticed- they only show Universal movies. TCM has to deal with ALL the major film rights owners; Fox, Sony and even the MGM titles it once owned.

Possibly Universal has sweetened the deal for Svengoolie by giving exclusive rights to some titles.

As much as I love Svengoolie, I skipped most of last month's Hammer (owned by Universal) and will skip the rest of this month's "creature" films. Universal releases these routinely for 35mm projection and I've seen them all on the big screen. But THE INVISIBLE WOMAN last week was a gem, only rarely shown on TCM.

But what I DO love about Svengoolie is his "ID that actor" or "reused footage" segments. Short, sweet, geared towards newly budding Cinephiles, simply saying, "This movie stars Edmund Gwenn, the same actor who played Santa in Miracle on 34th St and the scientist in THEM!" and "Note this same footage was used in XXX movie, that's not even Boris Karloff going up the stairs"

These tidbits spark an interest for kids to see movies in ways other than just the story. And Svengoolie is fun. I like to see ESSENTIAL JR on TCM adopt a similar approach.

Tiki, this is a great post. Excellent job. Maybe Svengoolie's contract is owned by Universal, so his function is to help stimulate sales of the films on home video. Or maybe it is simply that he and his producers love Universal classic horror so much they decided to pursue a deal with the studio. In either case, it's a win-win for viewers looking for alternative programming when TCM's highbrow Essential repeats do not cut it.

Thanks everyone for making this the most interesting and most-viewed thread on the board in ages.  We're at 9000 views and counting...

Glad you agree.

Stupid movie - strictly for kids.

Yeah, they coulda handled his activities better after his break-out.  :)