Jump to content

 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TopBilled

TCM and Other Sources for Classic Film

Recommended Posts

Friday August 17, 2018

Screen Shot 2018-05-29 at 6.46.51 AM.jpg

24 hours of Barbra Streisand on TCM

THE MAIN EVENT with Ryan O'Neal

WHAT'S UP DOC? with Ryan O'Neal

THE OWL AND THE PUSSYCAT with George Segal

FUNNY GIRL with Omar Sharif

FUNNY LADY with Omar Sharif

THE WAY WE WERE with Robert Redford

YENTL with Mandy Patinkin

THE PRINCE OF TIDES with Nick Nolte

A STAR IS BORN with Kris Kristofferson

UP THE SANDBOX with David Selby

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saturday August 18, 2018

Screen Shot 2018-05-29 at 6.47.58 AM.jpg

24 hours of Clark Gable on TCM

SARATOGA with Jean Harlow

IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT with Claudette Colbert

COMRADE X with Hedy Lamarr

BAND OF ANGELS with Yvonne De Carlo

COMMAND DECISION with Van Johnson

THE KING AND FOUR QUEENS with Eleanor Parker

ADVENTURE with Greer Garson

RUN SILENT RUN DEEP with Burt Lancaster

BOOM TOWN with Spencer Tracy

MOGAMBO with Ava Gardner

CHINA SEAS with Wallace Beery

HONKYTONK with Lana Turner

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

Great selection of films. Really enjoy IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT and RUN SILENT RUN DEEP.

I like these titles as well. I would have liked to have seen one of his Paramount films, like NO MAN OF HER OWN, TEACHER'S PET, IT STARTED IN NAPLES or BUT NOT FOR ME (which is a real favorite of mine).

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sunday August 19, 2018

Screen Shot 2018-05-29 at 6.48.33 AM.jpg

24 hours of Judy Garland on TCM

LITTLE NELLIE KELLY with George Murphy

PRESENTING LILY MARS with Van Heflin

THE CLOCK with Robert Walker

LOVE FINDS ANDY HARDY with Mickey Rooney

FOR ME AND MY GAL with Gene Kelly

THE PIRATE with Gene Kelly

IN THE GOOD OLD SUMMERTIME with Van Johnson

THE HARVEY GIRLS with John Hodiak

GIRL CRAZY with Mickey Rooney

A STAR IS BORN with James Mason

JUDGMENT AT NUREMBERG with Burt Lancaster

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Sunday August 19, 2018

Screen Shot 2018-05-29 at 6.48.33 AM.jpg

24 hours of Judy Garland on TCM

LITTLE NELLIE KELLY with George Murphy

PRESENTING LILY MARS with Van Heflin

THE CLOCK with Robert Walker

LOVE FINDS ANDY HARDY with Mickey Rooney

FOR ME AND MY GAL with Gene Kelly

THE PIRATE with Gene Kelly

IN THE GOOD OLD SUMMERTIME with Van Johnson

THE HARVEY GIRLS with John Hodiak

GIRL CRAZY with Mickey Rooney

A STAR IS BORN with James Mason

JUDGMENT AT NUREMBERG with Burt Lancaster

I was hoping Judy would have her day.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

I was hoping Judy would have her day.

She's so (over) identified with musicals. But I think my favorite film of hers is THE CLOCK.

And she's wonderful in A CHILD IS WAITING.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saturday August 11, 2018

Screen Shot 2018-05-29 at 5.45.10 AM.jpg

24 hours of Gary Cooper on TCM

SARATOGA TRUNK with Ingrid Bergman

GARY COOPER: AMERICAN LIFE AMERICAN LEGEND documentary

THE LIVES OF A BENGAL LANCER with Franchot Tone

THE WESTERNER with Walter Brennan

MR. DEEDS GOES TO TOWN with Jean Arthur

LOVE IN THE AFTERNOON with Audrey Hepburn

THE FOUNTAINHEAD with Patricia Neal

THE PRIDE OF THE YANKEES with Teresa Wright

SERGEANT YORK with Joan Leslie

THE STORY OF DR. WASSELL with Laraine Day

FRIENDLY PERSUASION with

I do not understand why TCM did not include Cooper's PARAMOUNT FILMS such as PETER IBBETSON, THE GENERAL DIED AT DAWN, BEAU GESTE  AND others.  it is very shortsighted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, arpirose said:
  •  

I do not understand why TCM did not include Cooper's PARAMOUNT FILMS such as PETER IBBETSON, THE GENERAL DIED AT DAWN, BEAU GESTE  AND others.  it is very shortsighted.

Because they have to pay a licensing fee to borrow them from Universal (Universal controls many of the Paramount films up to 1949). When TCM programmers decide to air classic Paramount films, they tend to pick stuff with Mae West, or films made by Preston Sturges or Billy Wilder. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Monday August 20, 2018

screen-shot-2018-05-29-at-6-49-07-am.jpg

24 hours of Stewart Granger on TCM

CAPTAIN BOYCOTT with Kathleen Ryan

ADAM AND EVELYNE with Jean Simmons

SOLDIERS THREE with David Niven

THE LAST HUNT with Robert Taylor

ALL THE BROTHERS WERE VALIANT with Robert Taylor

THE WILD NORTH with Wendell Corey

BHOWANI JUNCTION with Ava Gardner

THE PRISONER OF ZENDA with Deborah Kerr

KING SOLOMON'S MINES with Deborah Kerr

SCARAMOUCHE with Eleanor Parker

MOONFLEET with George Sanders

GREEN FIRE with Grace Kelly

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  20 hours ago, arpirose said:
  •  

I do not understand why TCM did not include Cooper's PARAMOUNT FILMS such as PETER IBBETSON, THE GENERAL DIED AT DAWN, BEAU GESTE  AND others.  it is very shortsighted.

Because they have to pay a licensing fee to borrow them from Universal (Universal controls many of the Paramount films up to 1949). When TCM programmers decide to air classic Paramount films, they tend to pick stuff with Mae West, or films made by Preston Sturges or Billy Wilder. 

 

I respectfully disagree with the licensing bit.  They can afford to pay Universal for the use of their classic GARY COOPER films from PARAMOUNT.  They cannot be that costly.  when they did MARLANE DIETRICH AS THE SOFM, they paid UNIVERSAL FOR THE USE OF THE FILMS. TCM would have exposed the public to these great early Cooper Paramount films.He was younger and so attractive.  Universal would benefit as well due to the exposure of these fine films.

One more thing, TMC is peddling this and that to make more money for themselves.  They can use that money for giving a better education for the fans by using films from the other big studios. MGM IS THE LEAST SATISFACTORY STUDIO from the Golden age. The other studios gave better product to their audiences.

It's been a while  when they played a Preston Sturges film,

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tuesday August 21, 2018

Screen Shot 2018-05-29 at 6.49.48 AM.jpg

24 hours of Anita Louise on TCM

EVERYTHING'S ROSIE with Robert Woolsey

GOING PLACES with Dick Powell

MADAME DU BARRY with Dolores Del Rio

A MIDSUMMER NIGHT'S DREAM with Victor Jory

THAT CERTAIN WOMAN with Bette Davis

THE SISTERS with Bette Davis

THE STORY OF LOUIS PASTEUR with Paul Muni

THE LITTLE PRINCESS with Shirley Temple

GLAMOUR FOR SALE with Roger Pryor

SHADOWED with Michael Duane

JUDGE PRIEST with Will Rogers

GREEN LIGHT with Errol Flynn

THE GO-GETTER with George Brent

BRIDES ARE LIKE THAT with Ross Alexander

PERSONAL MAID'S SECRET with Margaret Lindsay

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Tuesday August 21, 2018

Screen Shot 2018-05-29 at 6.49.48 AM.jpg

24 hours of Anita Louise on TCM

EVERYTHING'S ROSIE with Robert Woolsey

GOING PLACES with Dick Powell

MADAME DU BARRY with Dolores Del Rio

A MIDSUMMER NIGHT'S DREAM with Victor Jory

THAT CERTAIN WOMAN with Bette Davis

THE SISTERS with Bette Davis

THE STORY OF LOUIS PASTEUR with Paul Muni

THE LITTLE PRINCESS with Shirley Temple

GLAMOUR FOR SALE with Roger Pryor

SHADOWED with Michael Duane

JUDGE PRIEST with Will Rogers

GREEN LIGHT with Errol Flynn

THE GO-GETTER with George Brent

BRIDES ARE LIKE THAT with Ross Alexander

PERSONAL MAID'S SECRET with Margaret Lindsay

Nice to see TCM showcase an actress like Anita Louise;  someone that wasn't a major star,  but was in some very good films and was a capable actress.    

Anita was well featured in some major Warner productions and was keep busy while under contract with the studio,  but after that contracted ended her career,   like that of many others when their initial contract ends,  started to wane.  

Either way;  Good choice TCM!! 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Nice to see TCM showcase an actress like Anita Louise;  someone that wasn't a major star,  but was in some very good films and was a capable actress.    

Anita was well featured in some major Warner productions and was keep busy while under contract with the studio,  but after that contracted ended her career,   like that of many others when their initial contract ends,  started to wane.  

Either way;  Good choice TCM!! 

Backlot choice, I think it was. Right? It was either her or Anita Page.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wednesday August 22, 2018

Screen Shot 2018-05-29 at 6.50.44 AM.jpg

24 hours of Dana Andrews on TCM

NIGHT SONG with Merle Oberon

THE NORTH STAR with Anne Baxter

BEYOND A REASONABLE DOUBT with Joan Fontaine

WHILE THE CITY SLEEPS with Rhonda Fleming

SEALED CARGO with Claude Rains

CURSE OF THE DEMON with Peggy Cummins

THE BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES with Teresa Wright

THE OX-BOW INCIDENT with Henry Fonda

WHERE THE SIDEWALK ENDS with Gene Tierney

FALLEN ANGEL with Alice Faye

A WALK IN THE SUN with Richard Conte

BRAINSTORM with Anne Francis

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Backlot choice, I think it was. Right? It was either her or Anita Page.

Too bad it wasn't Anita Page. Nothing against the other Anita, but Page is less well known......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Too bad it wasn't Anita Page. Nothing against the other Anita, but Page is less well known......

It probably boiled down to whether people wanted more MGM films on the schedule (Anita Page's home studio) or more Warner Brothers films on the schedule (Anita Louise's home studio).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Hibi said:

You're giving them too much credit. LOL.

Is that what I'm doing? LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thursday August 23, 2018

Screen Shot 2018-05-29 at 6.53.49 AM.jpg

24 hours of Virginia Mayo on TCM

KING RICHARD AND THE CRUSADERS with Rex Harrison

PAINTING THE CLOUDS WITH SUNSHINE with Dennis Morgan

THE WEST POINT STORY with James Cagney

SHE'S WORKING HER WAY THROUGH COLLEGE with Ronald Reagan

THE BIG LAND with Alan Ladd

GREAT DAY IN THE MORNING with Robert Stack

COLORADO TERRITORY with Joel McCrea

FLAXY MARTIN with Zachary Scott

BACKFIRE with Dane Clark

SMART GIRLS DON'T TALK with Bruce Bennett

THE GIRL FROM JONES BEACH with Ronald Reagan

THE PRINCESS AND THE PIRATE with Bob Hope

SOUTH SEA WOMAN with Burt Lancaster

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Friday August 24, 2018

Screen Shot 2018-05-29 at 6.54.45 AM.jpg

24 hours of Peter Lorre on TCM

THE FACE BEHIND THE MASK with Evelyn Keyes

ARSENIC AND OLD LACE with Cary Grant

SILK STOCKINGS with Fred Astaire

YOU'LL FIND OUT with Kay Kyser

ALL THROUGH THE NIGHT with Humphrey Bogart

THE COMEDY OF TERRORS with Vincent Price

SCENT OF MYSTERY with Denholm Elliott

M with Theo Lingen

CRIME AND PUNISHMENT with Edward Arnold

THE MASK OF DIMITRIOS with Zachary Scott

THE VERDICT with Sydney Greenstreet

MAD LOVE with Colin Clive

ISLAND OF DOOMED MEN with Rochelle Hudson

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saturday August 25, 2018

Screen Shot 2018-05-29 at 7.41.13 AM.jpg

24 hours of Carroll Baker on TCM

EASY TO LOVE with Esther Williams

THE MIRACLE with Roger Moore

GIANT with James Dean

CHEYENNE AUTUMN with Richard Widmark

THE CARPETBAGGERS with George Peppard

BABY DOLL with Karl Malden

BRIDGE TO THE SUN with James Shigeta

SYLVIA with George Maharis

SOMETHING WILD with Ralph Meeker

STAR 80 with Cliff Robertson

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Saturday August 25, 2018

Screen Shot 2018-05-29 at 7.41.13 AM.jpg

24 hours of Carroll Baker on TCM

EASY TO LOVE with Esther Williams

THE MIRACLE with Roger Moore

GIANT with James Dean

CHEYENNE AUTUMN with Richard Widmark

THE CARPETBAGGERS with George Peppard

BABY DOLL with Karl Malden

BRIDGE TO THE SUN with James Shigeta

SYLVIA with George Maharis

SOMETHING WILD with Ralph Meeker

STAR 80 with Cliff Robertson

Carroll Baker sailed through many a genre - and memorably, too.

But she did have a substantial European career, which is not adequately represented in this country.

81JVFL4Lk9L._SY445_.jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, rayban said:

Carroll Baker sailed through many a genre - and memorably, too.

But she did have a substantial European career, which is not adequately represented in this country.

81JVFL4Lk9L._SY445_.jpg

So happy to see "Baby Doll" on again and she was great in "Star 80" also. Thanks, TB for your attention to keeping us up to date on upcoming films!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

© 2020 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...