Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TopBilled

TCM and Other Sources for Classic Film

it's a win-win for viewers looking for alternative programming when TCM's highbrow Essential repeats do not cut it.

Dam straight.  :D

This is pretty easy to pick apart. The interview is two years old and contracts do not run forever. The intention at present is not to use traditional advertising, and that's commendable. But that does not mean it will always stay that way, as much as execs insist. Economics may dictate another reality in five or ten years. At any rate, people will still be discussing it on the message boards for a long time to come. And like I said previously, I am not against traditional ads on TCM. It won't be the end of the world. I can see a compromise where traditional ads do air before or after movies-- the issue will be if the film presentations are interrupted by ads.

Well, as far as I am concerned, even though this interview was conducted  two years ago, I think it is still relevent today. According to you it would seem that the mere idea that this was from two years ago negates any decision and or contract that TCM may have signed recently. And you might be right.

The more important aspect of the interview was the questions Mr. Tabesh answered. To me that shows a lot more detail about how TCM goes about renting / leasing films instead of what films were being leased at the time of the interview.

A more thorough examination is from Will McKinley, a New York City-based writer, producer and classic film fan. He’s been a guest on Turner Classic Movies (interviewed by host Robert Osborne), Sirius Satellite Radio and the TCM podcast. Will has written for PBS and his byline has appeared more than 100 times in the pages of NYC alternate weeklies like The Villager and Gay City News.

Will attended the TCM Classic Film Festival in April of 2013. He posted his blog on May 13, 2013. Here is the link to his blog:

http://willmckinley.wordpress.com/2013/05/11/10-things-i-learned-at-the-tcm-classic-film-festival/

The following are two areas of major concern for posters here on the message boards that I lifted word for word from his blog:

TCM DOESN’T CARE ABOUT RATINGS.

Even since the channel formerly known as American Movie Classics stopped showing, well, American movie classics, and started airing commercials, some TCM viewers have feared the same fate. Conspiracy theorists bemoan broadcasts of more recent releases, suspecting a secret strategy to alter programming, even though a thorough review of the monthly schedule usually indicates a consistent breakdown by decade, month after month (with one obvious exception).

“There’s no specific agenda or intent to bring in newer movies,” Tabesh said. "It happens naturally some times, as we program thematically and we want to go in depth with whatever theme, whatever star we’re looking at. And sometimes that context leads us to newer movies.”

He went on to acknowledge that during one month of the year, he does intentionally program more recent films. “(During) 31 Days of Oscar, which was a couple months ago, if the movie won an Academy Award, we’re not going to shy away from it if it’s more contemporary. And I think you’ll tend to see more contemporary movies in that month than you will in others,” he said. “There’s no cutoff date, no strict definition for classic, other than, ‘What’s the context in which we’re playing it?’”

Ben Mankiewicz backed up this perspective during the Wednesday afternoon event. “We have a very open mind as to what makes a classic movie. It’s not really about years removed from a movie’s release that makes it okay,” the host said. “We always, always want to find something that will be relevant and emotional for our audience to see.”

“Our programming won’t change,” Mankiewicz added. “Nothing is going to stop us from showing the movies we already show.”

On Wednesday, Tabesh was asked how much pressure he was under to generate high ratings:

“Zero. We don’t get ratings. We’re not even allowed to get ratings,” he said. “When AMC went commercial many years ago, the cable affiliates freaked out, because they were getting a lot of complaints from subscribers and they wanted to make sure that TCM never added commercials. And we’ve never have plans to add commercials. I think it’s actually written into some of our affiliate agreements.”

“It’s not only important from a business perspective that we remain commercial-free, but we know that is the core of the TCM brand,” festival managing director Genevieve MacGillicuddy added. “That’s extremely important for fans, for the network, for the vision of what the network is. And we’re very proud of having stayed true to what that vision was for the network when we launched in 1994.”

Tabesh added: “We’re not trying to reach a broad audience. We’re not trying to maximize the demo. We’re not trying to get the 18-34, whatever it is. There’s none of that that’s considered at all.”

So get off the ledge, people.

TCM’S AUDIENCE IS YOUNGER THAN YOU THINK.

“I think it came as a big shock to the bosses and the people at the channel that so many younger people were interested in these films,” Robert Osborne told the bloggers on Wednesday. “I think they thought it was only for people with gray hair.”

The next day, Jeff Gregor followed up on this, telling attendees that TCM had done “some demographic work” recently and discovered some things about audience composition.

“I don’t want to say it was a surprise,” he said. “But two-thirds of our audience is 18-54.”

Richard Steiner also offered some perspectives on the digital audience, which he said was larger and younger than some people might think.

“One of the perceptions about the digital presence is, it’s small and it’s old. That’s wrong. It’s a cross between very young teenagers – we have an index of teenagers that’s anywhere from ten to twenty percent some times, very high. It really crosses the entire spectrum,” he said. “The other thing is, we’re not small. Over two million people visit TCM.com or one of the digital products evey month – bigger than some of our sister networks sometimes.”

While the information content is rich on the website – Gregor called the TCMDb “one of the best movie databases that exists in the country, if not the world” and “on parallel to the Smithsonian and the Library of Congress” – multimedia is limited to trailers and short excerpts from films.

The logical next step is figuring out how to monetize those 2 million visitors, likely by giving them an opportunity to watch complete movies on-line. Which leads us to our next point…

• Like 2

Okay, this is what I, NipkowDisc, think. One poster here has said the 2nd creature film Revenge of the Creature is awful. Well, so is Ensign Pulver with Robert Walker Jr. but that doesn't stop tcm from showin' it, now does it? :)   Maybe tcm understands that the obvious inferiority of Ensign Pulver to Mister Roberts may not kill all interest in viewers who might like to take a look at it. Who is to say with any degree of certainty that the same would not hold true for Revenge of the Creature? I personally like it more than the first. Tcm can't acquire it? Well Svengoolie has. :D  Hey, there's this one great scene in Revenge of the Creature as the Rita II is going into the black lagoon where the creature pops up outta the water and grabs himself a stork for breakfast off a tree limb. :)  Neat, but it ain't in the first film. 

Okay, this is what I, NipkowDisc, think. One poster here has said the 2nd creature film Revenge of the Creature is awful. Well, so is Ensign Pulver with Robert Walker Jr. but that doesn't stop tcm from showin' it, now does it? :)   Maybe tcm understands that the obvious inferiority of Ensign Pulver to Mister Roberts may not kill all interest in viewers who might like to take a look at it. Who is to say with any degree of certainty that the same would not hold true for Revenge of the Creature? I personally like it more than the first. Tcm can't acquire it? Well Svengoolie has. :D  Hey, there's this one great scene in Revenge of the Creature as the Rita II is going into the black lagoon where the creature pops up outta the water and grabs himself a stork for breakfast off a tree limb. :)  Neat, but it ain't in the first film. 

It is possible that the fact that Svengoolie has acquired Revenge of the Creature could makes it less likely that TCM can acquire the film.    e.g.  the leasing agreement with Svengoolie may prevent other networks from acquiring those films for a certain period of time.

Of course maybe TCM can acquire the film and they just don't wish to because they feel it is a stinker.

• Like 1

You seem to want to continue your rant about why TCM will not show the two sequels to the original Creature feature. And now you have decided that just because certain posters have decided to call the second, possibly third films trash it is now your duty to defend the quality of those two other films. And this is your RIGHT.

It could be that TCM can not get those rights due to ME-TV's rights to show those films on their channel. Films can not be shared by totally different channels at the same time.

This is what I do not understand about you. There have been several posts made in response to you and others that have clearly pointed out that ME-TV has an agreement with Universal Pictures to show their older films.

"Despite access to program content from the Universal Television, Paramount Television and 20th Century Fox libraries, movies have a relatively limited presence on Me-TV's weekly schedule. Me-TV airs the Rich Koz-hosted horror and science fiction film showcase Svengoolie on Saturday evenings, which is syndicated by sister independent station WCIU-TV and features film releases from Universal. In September 2013, Me-TV debuted a Friday prime-time film block called "The Me-TV Made for TV Movie," which showcases made-for-TV films from the 1970s to the 1990s that were originally seen on ABC, CBS and NBC network television; the block later began to include movie-length blocks of certain series available on the Me-TV schedule."

The national Me-TV network is a sister network to the Movies! channel.

I sure hope this helps you.

Thanks everyone for making this the most interesting and most-viewed thread on the board in ages.  We're at 9000 views and counting...

Most viewed? Perhaps. But most interesting? Hardly.

Even your Anti-Casablanca thread of March 22 2010 was better than this.

• Like 1

Of course maybe TCM can acquire the film and they just don't wish to because they feel it is a stinker.

Well, so is Ensign Pulver but they still show it! Right? :P  Difficulty acquiring Revenge of the Creature huh? I would say tcm has shown Creature From The Black Lagoon at least 8 times in the past year but they can't procure at least one of it's sequels? Maybe tcm programmers just don't care if some of their viewers wanna see those two other creature films.

That's possible too, ain't it?  :angry:

Maybe tcm programmers just don't care if some of their viewers wanna see those two other creature films.

Please don't sidestep that question.  :)

Well, so is Ensign Pulver but they still show it! Right? :P  Difficulty acquiring Revenge of the Creature huh? I would say tcm has shown Creature From The Black Lagoon at least 8 times in the past year but they can't procure at least one of it's sequels? Maybe tcm programmers just don't care if some of their viewers wanna see those two other creature films.

Many reasons are possible.      As for if "maybe TCM programmers just don't care";    Why should they care is SOME viewers wish to see certain films or not.     It would be silly (insane really) for TCM to base their programming choices on the wants of SOME viewers.

For example,  I do NOT wish for TCM to show Revenge of the Creature.      Why should TCM programmers care about your POV more than mine?     

For me it is a point ("dazzling in it's simplicity". -John J. Macreedy )

Me-TV plans to air all three creature films and tcm will air only the one.

Why? 

Procurement difficulties?

Whatever Svengoolie is doing, he must be doing it well.  :)

2e0r1mr.jpg

For me it is a point ("dazzling in it's simplicity". -John J. Macreedy )

Me-TV plans to air all three creature films and tcm will air only the one.

Why? 

Procurement difficulties?

Whatever Svengoolie is doing, he must be doing it well.  :)

Well actually some people feel Svengoolie is doing a really poor job.   At the ME-TV website there are multiple complaints related to  ME-TV's programming.      e.g.   why doesn't ME-TV show more Warner,  MGM and RKO movies!    Why so much from Universal!

Why is tcm unable to acquire Revenge of the Creature and The Creature Walks Among Us?

Why is tcm unable to acquire Revenge of the Creature and The Creature Walks Among Us?

And they should! There IS a remake of Creature From The Black Lagoon in the works.

There IS a remake of Creature From The Black Lagoon in the works.

I understand that this time the creature will be a water-dwelling massive form of flesh-eating amoeba - something similar to second segment 'The Raft' from Creepshow2.

I understand that this time the creature will be a water-dwelling massive form of flesh-eating amoeba - something similar to second segment 'The Raft' from Creepshow2.

Never watched creepshow2  :D

Assuming that tcm programmers at least understand that some of their viewers might want to see the other two creature films...why not?

Are licensing/procurement issues really so severe that tcm finds itself beaten out by Svengoolie and Me-TV?  :lol:

Creature From The Black Lagoon, Revenge of the Creature and The Creature Walks Among Us....tcm shows 'em. I'll watch 'em.  :) What could be fairer than that?   :D

Assuming that tcm programmers at least understand that some of their viewers might want to see the other two creature films...why not?

Are licensing/procurement issues really so severe that tcm finds itself beaten out by Svengoolie and Me-TV?  :lol:

Creature From The Black Lagoon, Revenge of the Creature and The Creature Walks Among Us....tcm shows 'em. I'll watch 'em.  :) What could be fairer than that?   :D

But I guess I'll be watchin' em on Me-TV. :)

But that's the way I guess tcm wants it.

It's kinda like mayor Larry Vaughn tryin' to reason with Chief Brody in Jaws...

"If the people can't go swimming here, they'll be glad to go swimming in Long Beach, Southampton..."   :lol: 

23rk8yw.jpg

It could be that TCM can not get those rights due to ME-TV's rights to show those films on their channel. Films can not be shared by totally different channels at the same time.

This statement is not wholly correct. When Shirley Temple passed away, TCM aired THE LITTLE PRINCESS for a memorial tribute, and it was also in heavy rotation on the Fox Movie Channel (before it was rebranded as FXM Retro). There have been other occasions, not related to memorial tributes, where TCM's programming overlaps with Fox and the other movie channels. Not long ago, the 1941 version of BILLY THE KID aired on TCM while it was also showing up on the Encore Westerns schedule. 

Probably for the most part, titles are exclusive to one channel for a contracted period of time, but there are exceptions.

Thanks everyone for making this the most interesting and most-viewed thread on the board in ages.  We're at 9000 views and counting...

“Of course it all started with ME …”

Fascinating post. I hope your finger isn't hurting you for staying up all night clicking on the thread :-P. Kidding, kidding.

I never posted to your thread, “What do views mean?” I would post to it now though I am loathe to bump it up, for obvious reasons. No need anyhow, what views mean (in some quarters) can summed up in one word .. EGO.

What about actual postings? They don’t do anyting for you? To date, there have been 36 posters, only 8 are making contributions in meaningful numbers. These 8 represent nearly 75 percent of total posts, so yes, interesting to a few. Thanks to the Big Eight. But, according to data, the wider audience doesn't seem moved.

As to those precious VIEWS, only one out of 27 views actually end up as a posting. Given the curious nature of your other “NEWS” threads, there might good reasons for why 26 out of 27 visitors are looky-loos.

---

• Like 4

“Of course it all started with ME …”

Fascinating post. I hope your finger isn't hurting you for staying up all night clicking on the thread :-P. Kidding, kidding.

I never posted to your thread, “What do views mean?” I would post to it now though I am loathe to bump it up, for obvious reasons. No need anyhow, what views mean (in some quarters) can summed up in one word .. EGO.

What about actual postings? They don’t do anyting for you? To date, there have been 36 posters, only 8 are making contributions in meaningful numbers. These 8 represent nearly 75 percent of total posts, so yes, interesting to a few. Thanks to the Big Eight. But, according to data, the wider audience doesn't seem moved.

As to those precious VIEWS, only one out of 27 views actually end up as a posting. Given the curious nature of your other “NEWS” threads, there might good reasons for why 26 out of 27 visitors are looky-loos.

---

Why laffite! You do get some kinda thrill about being the bearer of..ahem.."bad news" or somethin'???!!! LOL

;)

(...JUS' couldn't resist...and I'll stay out of this now)

This statement is not wholly correct. When Shirley Temple passed away, TCM aired THE LITTLE PRINCESS for a memorial tribute, and it was also in heavy rotation on the Fox Movie Channel (before it was rebranded as FXM Retro). There have been other occasions, not related to memorial tributes, where TCM's programming overlaps with Fox and the other movie channels. Not long ago, the 1941 version of BILLY THE KID aired on TCM while it was also showing up on the Encore Westerns schedule. 

Probably for the most part, titles are exclusive to one channel for a contracted period of time, but there are exceptions.

Well, at least you've changed your mind about leaving.

That's good. :D

Why laffite! You do get some kinda thrill about being the bearer of..ahem.."bad news" or somethin'???!!! LOL

;)

"It's all these news threads, I tell ya ... it's the news threads ... who needs CNN, man ... the cycle is here, I tell ya, I tell ya ..."

Trying to channel Lyle Talbot in one of those pre-codes ... let's see, was it Three on a Match ? ... They want him to rub out a child, he says, "I can't do it, I tell ya, I can't do it ... I can't do it, I tell ya ...

==

"It's all these news threads, I tell ya ... it's the news threads ... who needs CNN, man ... the cycle is here, I tell ya, I tell ya ..."

Trying to channel Lyle Talbot in one of those pre-codes ... let's see, was it Three on a Match ? ... They want him to rub out a child, he says, "I can't do it, I tell ya, I can't do it ... I can't do it, I tell ya ...

==

And with perhaps a certain Don Henley song playing in the background that sayin' somethin' about some "Bubble-headed bleach-blonde" who "comes on at Five"???

(...or would that be much too anachronistic a thing here ?...yeah, a '30s movie and '80s hit single...yeah, just forget it...it would never work!)

Trying to channel Lyle Talbot in one%

What about actual postings? They don’t do anyting for you? 

---

What is anyting?  Is it anything that has a ting? :-P. Kidding, kidding.

Actual postings that are spelled correctly, now they do something for me. :-P. Kidding, kidding.