Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TopBilled

TCM and Other Sources for Classic Film

Well, at least you've changed your mind about leaving.

Have I? :)

You're a good poster, primosprimos. I like your sincerity and your interest in classic film. 

Assuming that tcm programmers at least understand that some of their viewers might want to see the other two creature films...why not?

Are licensing/procurement issues really so severe that tcm finds itself beaten out by Svengoolie and Me-TV?  :lol:

No, they are not. But, Universal has struck a deal with ME-TV for not only films from their horror library for the Svengoolie show but also for films from their classic tv library as well, so Universal may have sweetened the pot for ME-TV since they were interested in both films and tv shows.

There may be some Uni titles that are exclusive to ME-TV which would preclude TCM from being able to bid on them or broadcast them until that contract expires.

Another thing to keep in mind, TCM's audience is much larger than the 40-50 people (despite all the clamoring) who post here on a daily basis. That means that there are thousands of others making requests of TCM for certain titles on a variety of sites and in a variety of ways.

We aren't the only ones that TCM has to consider.

Your mileage may,of course, vary.

• Like 3

No, they are not. But, Universal has struck a deal with ME-TV for not only films from their horror library for the Svengoolie show but also for films from their classic tv library as well, so Universal may have sweetened the pot for ME-TV since they were interested in both films and tv shows.

There may be some Uni titles that are exclusive to ME-TV which would preclude TCM from being able to bid on them or broadcast them until that contract expires.

Another thing to keep in mind, TCM's audience is much larger than the 40-50 people (despite all the clamoring) who post here on a daily basis. That means that there are thousands of others making requests of TCM for certain titles on a variety of sites and in a variety of ways.

We aren't the only ones that TCM has to consider.

Your mileage may,of course, vary.

You're probably right. I just think it would be kinda swell if tcm could devote an entire evening to the creature by showing all three films. 

I say Revenge of the Creature on Me-TV is gonna maul The Lusty Men this coming.saturday but I sure will be watching Bus Stop. Beau Decker winnin' over his little heifer his way:lol:

"Cherie, I'm gonna begin your day, sleepyhead, by recitin' you Lincoln's Gettysburg Address. Thatta perk ya right up!"

s4aveg.jpg

Have I? :)

You're a good poster, primosprimos. I like your sincerity and your interest in classic film. 

I hope so, TopBilled.

Thank you, TB. ^_^

I say Revenge of the Creature on Me-TV is gonna maul The Lusty Men this coming.saturday :lol:

Well, there are quite a few Susan Hayward fans (not enough apparently to convince TCM to make her Star of the Month) but I think the viewership of THE LUSTY MEN will be substantial, though probably not as high as REVENGE OF THE CREATURE. 

Well, there are quite a few Susan Hayward fans (not enough apparently to convince TCM to make her Star of the Month) but I think the viewership of THE LUSTY MEN will be substantial, though probably not as high as REVENGE OF THE CREATURE. 

Hypothesizing again?

Hypothesizing again?

Harassing again? Let's stop the personal attacks, it's getting old. 

You yourself have theorized that due to Hayward having spent the bulk of her career at Fox, that other Fox stars such as Tyrone Power and Marilyn Monroe will likely get SOTM before Hayward.

Which ever theory you now espouse is fine. TCM is very aware of fan's desires (remember they read these boards)  for Hayward to be SOTM but working out  a deal with Fox for that to happen is one of those things appears to take more time than some are willing to understand.

• Like 5

Harassing again? Let's stop the personal attacks, it's getting old. 

I'll tell you what is getting old....

It gets really tiresome whenever anyone here has even the slightest opposite opinion of yours or even DARES to disagree or even sort of has any sort of word play with you and you take what appears to be an offense, and what do you do? You say you are going to report that person, and then you have the audacity to tell the person that "I am going to place you on Ignore, because you are being mean to me", or like here, "it's a personal attack."

Do us all a favor will you? Grow up and stop with this childish behavior where you always take offense when someone says things to you.

One last thing....

Go ahead and report me if you really think I am harassing you. You really think I am harassing you with the sort of comment I posted to you. REALLY????

Come on. You really are a big cry baby aren't you. If you can't take this kind of comment then I don't understand why you even post here.

By the way, you posted this the other day....

"And we have a few people who act like experts on TCM's programming, which is nice that they are so interested in what TCM does and why-- but it is often hypothesizing at best."

You know what they say about people living in Glass Houses....

• Like 4

You yourself have theorized that due to Hayward having spent the bulk of her career at Fox, that other Fox stars such as Tyrone Power and Marilyn Monroe will likely get SOTM before Hayward.

Which ever theory you now espouse is fine. TCM is very aware of fan's desires (remember they read these boards)  for Hayward to be SOTM but working out  a deal with Fox for that to happen is one of those things appears to take more time than some are willing to understand.

Well, first of all, in August, for the past few years, TCM has featured a star from the Fox lot. They have already honored Monroe, Power, Tierney, Crain and now Grable and Ritter. So I think it makes sense that since Hayward has a bevy of Fox credits that she will eventually (soon?) get her due on the SUTS lineup.

As for her being SOTM, certainly her Fox work factors into that and I have alluded to her Fox titles, yes. But as Arturo and others have pointed out, she worked for many studios, and a month-long retrospective can occur minus the Fox titles. All they really have to do, and they know this, is pick a month with only four weeks in it (some stars like Crawford & O'Hara had five weeks of films) and then use three of those nights for the RKO, MGM, WB and UA titles. Then maybe put two Fox films and one Paramount film (probably REAP THE WILD WIND) on for the fourth evening. Her being SOTM is very do-able.

Well I admit I'm not willing to understand why it is taking TCM so long to get access to Fox films.    But as others have pointed out TCM is showing more films from outside the so called Turner Library so thing are going in the right direction.

But I feel like I'm a refugee in Casablanca;   I wait, and wait and wait.   :)

Well I admit I'm not willing to understand why it is taking TCM so long to get access to Fox films.    But as others have pointed out TCM is showing more films from outside the so called Turner Library so thing are going in the right direction.

But I feel like I'm a refugee in Casablanca;   I wait, and wait and wait.   :)

Sure, tcm beats Creature From The Black Lagoon into the ground uncounted times but nary a sign of the two follow-ups. Seems to me lovers of The Creature From The Black Lagoon trilogy wait and wait and wait.

"You mean the Rita II hasn't gotten here yet???"

2heijr9.jpg

TCM is showing more films from outside the so called Turner Library so things are going in the right direction.

If the outside films they are choosing are ones most of the viewers would like to see.

Bet. My Fair Lady will air ten more times before we ever see Revenge of the Creature on tcm.  :D

s5ivpw.jpg

...and that goes for seven brides for seven brothers too:)

2wfutzp.jpg

Bet. My Fair Lady will air ten more times before we ever see Revenge of the Creature on tcm.  :D

...and that goes for seven brides for seven brothers too:)

Yes,  this is true.  That is because TCM programmers like those movies and think Revenge of the Creature is a stinker.  

• Like 1

If the outside films they are choosing are ones most of the viewers would like to see.

They must be. There's a 'suggest a movie' tool to help them know what viewers want to see. I use it myself.

Well, first of all, in August, for the past few years, TCM has featured a star from the Fox lot. They have already honored Monroe, Power, Tierney, Crain and now Grable and Ritter. So I think it makes sense that since Hayward has a bevy of Fox credits that she will eventually (soon?) get her due on the SUTS lineup.

As for her being SOTM, certainly her Fox work factors into that and I have alluded to her Fox titles, yes. But as Arturo and others have pointed out, she worked for many studios, and a month-long retrospective can occur minus the Fox titles. All they really have to do, and they know this, is pick a month with only four weeks in it (some stars like Crawford & O'Hara had five weeks of films) and then use three of those nights for the RKO, MGM, WB and UA titles. Then maybe put two Fox films and one Paramount film (probably REAP THE WILD WIND) on for the fourth evening. Her being SOTM is very do-able.[/quot

Topbilled,

Yes, but I think that the delay for Hayward being honored as SOTM may have to do with the prorammers wanting a more representative overview.of her career, and try to feature some.titles that would be TCM premieres, i.e. some of her films she did at the two studios most significant for her career,.Paramount, where she first made a name for herself as a scene stealer, and Fox, where.she hit superstardom in the 50s. This seems like a valid and reasonable reason why it hasnt already happened, as the programmers may not just want to rehash every movie they always play, but bring in others not shown here before. Again, pure speculation on my part, but nothing that seems unreasonable.

• Like 1

They must be. There's a 'suggest a movie' tool to help them know what viewers want to see. I use it myself.

The problem is that's it's worthless. Facts are facts. You can't dispute facts. Tcm will show Creature From The Black Lagoon but not it's two sequels. They must know that many viewers like myself would like to see them aired but tcm programmers are obviously not very partial to the sci-fi/horror genre films. Intelligent viewers can see the evidence. Revenge of the Creature and The Creature Walks Among Us nowhere to be seen. I don't like it, but there it is. 

140j9tw.jpg

I've never even seen The Creature From the Black Lagoon let alone its two sequels.  With all the hoopla and controversy surrounding TCM's alleged refusal to air the second and third movies, I now feel like I need to watch all three films just to see what the big deal is.

I'll be adding these movies to my Netflix queue.

EDIT: Apparently #2 and #3 aren't on Netflix.  I'll try and watch #1 though and see if it's worth watching #2 and #3.

I've never even seen The Creature From the Black Lagoon let alone its two sequels.  With all the hoopla and controversy surrounding TCM's alleged refusal to air the second and third movies, I now feel like I need to watch all three films just to see what the big deal is.

I'll be adding these movies to my Netflix queue.

EDIT: Apparently #2 and #3 aren't on Netflix.  I'll try and watch #1 though and see if it's worth watching #2 and #3.

The first film although intelligent is kinda lagoon-locked. The 2nd film the gillman has a high ol' time in Florida with Lori Nelson. The 3rd is quite intelligent and cerebral but very good as well. I personally feel the 2nd is the most fun.

The problem is that's it's worthless. Facts are facts. You can't dispute facts. Tcm will show Creature From The Black Lagoon but not it's two sequels.

Nobody has "requested a movie" for the sequels.

Now then, what movie is it you want to see again?