Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TopBilled

TCM and Other Sources for Classic Film

What is anyting?  Is it anything that has a ting? :-P. Kidding, kidding.

Actual postings that are spelled correctly, now they do something for me. :-P. Kidding, kidding.

I've always been a bad speller. I see my analyst twice a week and talk about this all the time. He keeps telling me, "Don't worry about it, one day you'll die and it won't matter." This always makes me feel better...and I think it will always do so ... for the rest of my life, anyway.

I've always been a bad speller. I see my analyst twice a week and talk about this all the time. He keeps telling me, "Don't worry about it, one day you'll die and it won't matter." This always makes me feel better...and I think it will always do so ... for the rest of my life, anyway.

What happens to bad spellers after they die? Do they go to purgatory until they learn how to spell?

What happens to bad spellers after they die? Do they go to purgatory until they learn how to spell?

Good question! Now you've given me something new to worry about. I may have to take this up with my annalyst, oops, 

'scuse me, analyst.

Yes,  this is true.  That is because TCM programmers like those movies and think Revenge of the Creature is a stinker.  

How can you say that when you KNOW the programmers aren't choosing what they "like" or what they "think is a stinker"?

They can only buy what's OFFERED. And what's offered is a "package" of several movies. Maybe the "package" that contains REVENGE OF THE CREATURE is included in an unreasonably expensive group package.

Posts on these boards want to blame TCM programmers for what's shown, how often and what time slots. Please understand these variables often are dictated by those holding the rights to broadcast these movies.

speedracer-just watch Svengoolie on METV every Saturday in July and you'll see the Creature movies in succession. (thread has now come full circle)

But your name may be misspelled on your gravestone, and that's for eternity.

They can only buy what's OFFERED. And what's offered is a "package" of several movies. 

Posts on these boards want to blame TCM programmers for what's shown, how often and what time slots. 

There are films offered they do not buy/rent/lease.

In some way the TCM programmers do have to take the brunt of it. They are the ones that change the schedule for a memorial tribute. They are the ones that come up with the themes and monthly programs. We cannot say they have no control over what they show, that doesn't make sense.

I've never even seen The Creature From the Black Lagoon let alone its two sequels.  With all the hoopla and controversy surrounding TCM's alleged refusal to air the second and third movies, I now feel like I need to watch all three films just to see what the big deal is.

I'll be adding these movies to my Netflix queue.

EDIT: Apparently #2 and #3 aren't on Netflix.  I'll try and watch #1 though and see if it's worth watching #2 and #3.

You can rent or buy them all at classicflix:

http://classicflix.com/revenge-creature-creature-walks-among-p-5558.html

speedracer-just watch Svengoolie on METV every Saturday in July and you'll see the Creature movies in succession. (thread has now come full circle)

jamesjazzyguitar says the 2nd creature film is no good.  Really? I, of course, have seen it many times throughout my life and Revenge of the Creature has only improved with age. As most couch potatoes easily know everything in american film science fiction is California. California, California, California and after that...even more California. Southern California to be exact. Sometimes it's the southwest (Arizona and New Mexico) Southern California has had more rampaging monsters per capita then any other earthly locale in history but in Revenge of the Creature, the gillman's stomping ground is Southern Florida therefore bucking the usual obligatory 1950s Hollywood norm. 

So how could Revenge of the Creature not matter? I say the 2nd film does matter...quite!

So tcm doesn't want to show it, fine.

I for one will be more than pleased to watch Revenge of the Creature on Me-TV.

If tcm ultimately doesn't care if Me-TV is siphoning off some viewers on saturday nites then I say beautiful.

"Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful. beautiful, beautiful...beaut-E-ful" -Sgt. Orville C. King  :D 

Let it be so.

jamesjazzyguitar says the 2nd creature film is no good.  Really? I, of course, have seen it many times throughout my life and Revenge of the Creature has only improved with age. As most couch potatoes easily know everything in american film science fiction is California. California, California, California and after that...even more California. Southern California to be exact. Sometimes it's the southwest (Arizona and New Mexico) Southern California has had more rampaging monsters per capita then any other earthly locale in history but in Revenge of the Creature, the gillman's stomping ground is Southern Florida therefore bucking the usual obligatory 1950s Hollywood norm. 

So how could Revenge of the Creature not matter? I say the 2nd film does matter...quite!

So tcm doesn't want to show it, fine.

I for one will be more than pleased to watch Revenge of the Creature on Me-TV.

If tcm ultimately doesn't care if Me-TV is siphoning off some viewers on saturday nites then I say beautiful.

"Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful. beautiful, beautiful...beaut-E-ful" -Sgt. Orville C. King  :D 

Let it be so.

Yes,  let it be so.     It is clear your "issue" here isn't being able to see the movie Revenue of the Creature since you will be able to see it.    So yea, go see it on ME-TV.     I'm sure TCM doesn't care about that either.

Yes,  let it be so.     It is clear your "issue" here isn't being able to see the movie Revenue of the Creature since you will be able to see it.    So yea, go see it on ME-TV.     I'm sure TCM doesn't care about that either.

I just don't understand your attitude about the 2nd film. Do we not learn that the gillman won't hurt children?  Yes. Does the 2nd film not lay down some physiological groundwork useful to the scientific background of the 3rd and final installment? Yes. Do we not learn that nighttime hipsters in hot rods shouldn't stop at beaches where the gillman leaves Lori Nelson unconscious on a southern florida beach for a few moments why he replenishes himself in nearby water? Yes.  :)

2yknxqc.jpg

jamesjazzyguitar says the 2nd creature film is no good.  Really? I, of course, have seen it many times throughout my life and Revenge of the Creature has only improved with age. As most couch potatoes easily know everything in american film science fiction is California. California, California, California and after that...even more California. Southern California to be exact. Sometimes it's the southwest (Arizona and New Mexico) Southern California has had more rampaging monsters per capita then any other earthly locale in history...

What, ND?! Ya know, SOME people can NEVER get enough of watchin' my old hometown gettin' periodically demolished???

los-angeles-downtown-destroyed.jpg

(...in FACT, the way some people seem to constantly complain about the product which emanates from there and it's "negative effect upon their children", can you BLAME Tinseltown for givin' the people what they want to see???) ;)

I'm tired of all these posts about some fish monster. Now here's a real monster, why won't TCM show The Brainiac (El Baron del Terror)?

tumblr_mb3qp4jpjS1r1d5rwo1_1280.jpg

Wait now, Swithin! Are you sure that that's not REALLY Lionel Barrymore as Rasputin there?

(...or maybe his brother John after an especially hard night of drinking???)

My attitude is this, jamesjazzguitar. If tcm had shown Creature From The Black Lagoon say once or twice in the past year that would be one thing, but for them to have one it shown it like 8 times in the past twelve months calls for them in my view, in terms of commom sense, to at least show one of the sequels once, but they haven't. Suppose tcm aired The Robe 15 times in the space of one year but passed on ever showing Demetrius and the Gladiators? Would that make sense? Not to me and that is why I am gratified that they will show it. Can they not do the same for the Creature?

"Don't bring up colorization."

2njbpq9.jpg

But let us get back to the initial subject raised by TopBilled, just why is Me-TV cutting in on tcm's saturday nite action?  :) 

But let us get back to the initial subject raised by TopBilled, just why is Me-TV cutting in on tcm's saturday nite action?  :) 

I think part of it is that the Universal horror pics with Svengoolie are appealing to a wider (and potentially younger) audience. 

I'm tired of all these posts about some fish monster. Now here's a real monster, why won't TCM show The Brainiac (El Baron del Terror)?

YES!!!

My attitude is this, jamesjazzguitar. If tcm had shown Creature From The Black Lagoon say once or twice in the past year that would be one thing, but for them to have one it shown it like 8 times in the past twelve months calls for them in my view, in terms of commom sense, to at least show one of the sequels once, but they haven't. Suppose tcm aired The Robe 15 times in the space of one year but passed on ever showing Demetrius and the Gladiators? Would that make sense? Not to me and that is why I am gratified that they will show it. Can they not do the same for the Creature?

"Don't bring up colorization."

I understand your 'common sense' POV here and I agree with it.    It does make sense when showing a movie to show the sequels (hopefully back to back).   This creates a nice 'theme' type viewing experience.    I get that and I also wish TCM would more of this. 

But as other have pointed out how TCM leases films may not always result in 'common sense'.   e.g.  A sequel may be produced by a different studio then the original so a separate lease of films (since a lease often bundled films),  would be required.   TCM may not wish to get this bundle just to get one or two films. 

But I do see a 'chicken \ egg' thing going on related to leasing films;  Does TCM plan what they wish to program and than go out to lease the films they wish to show or do they lease films,  and based on what they lease plan their programming.

I assume it is a combination of these two.

I think part of it is that the Universal horror pics with Svengoolie are appealing to a wider (and potentially younger) audience. 

ME-TV did a wise thing but locking up Universal horror films.     For years now many people at this forum have wanted TCM to gain access to those films.    So to me it is a safe (logical) assumption that these movie are appealing to others outside this forum (and as you noted potentially younger viewers).

So good move by ME-TV.    Did they beat TCM to the punch?    Maybe.   Regardless not getting access to these films was a missed opportunity by TCM.

• Like 1

I didn't realize Hugh Griffith made Mexican films.

I didn't realize Hugh Griffith made Mexican films.

Ya know Rich, I think I have to agree with ya here. That DOES look even more like Griffith than it does EITHER of the Barrymore boys, doesn't it!

Ya know Rich, I think I have to agree with ya here. That DOES look even more like Griffith than it does EITHER of the Barrymore boys, doesn't it!

Dargo, do you realize how incredibly rare that still is? It's from the Mexican version of Ben-Hur, in which Griffith chokes out a female charioteer who abuses his horses.

ME-TV did a wise thing but locking up Universal horror films.     For years now many people at this forum have wanted TCM to gain access to those films.    So to me it is a safe (logical) assumption that these movie are appealing to others outside this forum (and as you noted potentially younger viewers).

So good move by ME-TV.    Did they beat TCM to the punch?    Maybe.   Regardless not getting access to these films was a missed opportunity by TCM.

And we have had comments in this thread as well as other threads about cost. Even if Universal is charging an exorbitant fee, it more than pays for itself in the long run with all the extra viewers (and potential consumers) these films bring to TCM. So yes, it is a missed opportunity-- not only for classic horror fans who watch TCM but for TCM's revenue-generating departments.

I also want to add something about how we see comments re: demographics. In a way, they do need to appeal to the younger audiences (and I mean more than the Essentials Jr. kiddie crowd). They need to ensure that the channel stays viable for many more years to come. If you use the Universal horror flicks (all year not just one or two titles around Halloween), then you build a younger audience that will grow and stay loyal to TCM, like they are doing with Svengoolie and ME-TV.

Dargo, do you realize how incredibly rare that still is? It's from the Mexican version of Ben-Hur, in which Griffith chokes out a female charioteer who abuses his horses.

LOL

OH yeah, I THOUGHT I had heard somewhere that Wyler had added a few extra scenes in that flick just for the south of the border market.