Jump to content

 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TopBilled

TCM and Other Sources for Classic Film

Recommended Posts

Monday November 4, 2019

Screen Shot 2019-11-04 at 6.31.31 AM.jpeg

Gig Young on TCM

ARENA with Jean Hagen

HUNT THE MAN DOWN with Lynne Roberts

A TICKLISH AFFAIR with Shirley Jones

TORCH SONG with Joan Crawford

TOO YOUNG TO KISS with June Allyson

THE WOMAN IN WHITE with Eleanor Parker

HOLIDAY FOR SINNERS with Janice Rule

THE THREE MUSKETEERS with Lana Turner

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tuesday November 5, 2019

Screen Shot 2019-11-02 at 8.35.21 AM.png

24 hours of B.D. on TCM including

OF HUMAN BONDAGE (1934) with Leslie Howard

FASHIONS OF 1934 with William Powell

JIMMY THE GENT with James Cagney

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wednesday November 6, 2019

Screen Shot 2019-11-05 at 12.12.16 PM.jpeg

Two from '42 on TCM

THE MAGNIFICENT AMBERSONS with Tim Holt

CASABLANCA with Ingrid Bergman

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Wednesday November 6, 2019

Screen Shot 2019-11-05 at 12.12.16 PM.jpeg

Two from '42 on TCM

THE MAGNIFICENT AMBERSONS with Tim Holt

CASABLANCA with Ingrid Bergman

Both great films, especially CASABLANCA.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thursday November 7, 2019

Screen-Shot-2018-12-16-at-11.50.36-AM.jp

Recently added on Starz

WEST SIDE STORY with Natalie Wood

CUJO with Dee Wallace

CHAPLIN with Robert Downey Jr.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wish I had the Starz channel; it looks like they show some interesting older films. FXM airs classic films in the morning hours( THE LATE GEORGE APLEY is on at this moment) but for the most part, they show the same few films for months at a time.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, sagebrush said:

I wish I had the Starz channel; it looks like they show some interesting older films. FXM airs classic films in the morning hours( THE LATE GEORGE APLEY is on at this moment) but for the most part, they show the same few films for months at a time.

You can get the Starz/Encore channels on cable. Or you can just pay a monthly fee to stream it on your phone/computer or smart TV. I think the current fee is $8.99 and I feel it's worth it, considering all the classic films and TV series they have. The streaming is preferable to getting it on cable, in my opinion, because I watch or re-watch anything I want, whenever I want.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Friday November 8, 2019

Screen Shot 2019-11-07 at 1.05.36 PM.jpeg

Olivia & Errol on TCM

THEY DIED WITH THEIR BOOTS ON

FOUR'S A CROWD

DODGE CITY

SANTA FE TRAIL

THE CHARGE OF THE LIGHT BRIGADE

CAPTAIN BLOOD

THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Friday November 8, 2019

Screen Shot 2019-11-07 at 1.05.36 PM.jpeg

Olivia & Errol on TCM

THEY DIED WITH THEIR BOOTS ON

FOUR'S A CROWD

DODGE CITY

SANTA FE TRAIL

THE CHARGE OF THE LIGHT BRIGADE

CAPTAIN BLOOD

THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD

Awesome selection! Especially THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD and CAPTAIN BLOOD.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

Awesome selection! Especially THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD and CAPTAIN BLOOD.

I'm partial to DODGE CITY. Maybe because I like westerns in Technicolor.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saturday November 9, 2019

Screen Shot 2018-04-24 at 3.00.42 PM.jpg

Marriage is in trouble on TCM

LA POINTE COURTE with Philippe Noiret

JOURNEY TO ITALY with George Sanders

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sunday November 10, 2019

Screen Shot 2019-11-09 at 12.43.33 PM.jpeg

Mary, Margaret and Molly on TCM

MARY OF SCOTLAND with Katharine Hepburn

JOURNEY FOR MARGARET with Margaret O'Brien

THE UNSINKABLE MOLLY BROWN with Debbie Reynolds

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Monday November 11, 2019

61956-screen2bshot2b2016-02-202bat2b12-5

Two Oscars for Harold Russell on TCM

THE BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES with Fredric March & Dana Andrews

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Monday November 11, 2019

61956-screen2bshot2b2016-02-202bat2b12-5

Two Oscars for Harold Russell on TCM

THE BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES with Fredric March & Dana Andrews

THE BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES is a great film. I know Fredric March and Harold Russell won Oscars for their performances (well deserved IMO) but Dana Andrews should have been nominated as well, a sentiment I know many folks on here share.

(SPOILERS):

Even though Homer lost his hands, which was traumatic for him no doubt, Fred had to deal with the painful memories of the demise of his lost comrades. Not to mention he returns to a wife who it turns out was never all that cracked up to be.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tuesday November 12, 2019

Screen Shot 2019-11-11 at 3.41.37 PM.jpeg

George Brent & Bette Davis on TCM

JEZEBEL with Henry Fonda

DARK VICTORY with Humphrey Bogart

THE OLD MAID with Miriam Hopkins

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Tuesday November 12, 2019

Screen Shot 2019-11-11 at 3.41.37 PM.jpeg

George Brent & Bette Davis on TCM

JEZEBEL with Henry Fonda

DARK VICTORY with Humphrey Bogart

THE OLD MAID with Miriam Hopkins

Looking forward to JEZEBEL and DARK VICTORY, really enjoy those two. Kind of indifferent towards THE OLD MAID, though Bette still gives it her 100 percent.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

Looking forward to JEZEBEL and DARK VICTORY, really enjoy those two. Kind of indifferent towards THE OLD MAID, though Bette still gives it her 100 percent.

I think THE OLD MAID is less cinematic, a bit more stage bound. But it works for me, because of the Davis-Hopkins dynamic.

DARK VICTORY was intended for Katharine Hepburn. David Selznick bought the rights with Kate in mind. But then Kate had a series of flops and was labeled box office poison at that time. So Selznick sold the property to Warner Brothers.

JEZEBEL is obviously a ripoff of Margaret Mitchell's book, but it's a fine production with some great performances from Davis, Fonda and especially Fay Bainter who earned an Oscar as supporting actress.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn't particularly like Hopkins' character in THE OLD MAID, so maybe that's why THE OLD MAID doesn't rank among my favorites. Still, as you say the interactions between her and Davis does make the movie watchable.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

I didn't particularly like Hopkins' character in THE OLD MAID, so maybe that's why THE OLD MAID doesn't rank among my favorites. Still, as you say the interactions between her and Davis does make the movie watchable.

Do you like the follow-up they did, OLD ACQUAINTANCE (1943)..?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TopBilled said:

Do you like the follow-up they did, OLD ACQUAINTANCE (1943)..?

Actually, I do like their teaming in that one a bit more. Hopkins' character is still a bit of an annoyance, but I found her character a bit more tolerable than her other role in THE OLD MAID.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wednesday November 13, 2019

Screen Shot 2019-11-12 at 6.06.44 AM.jpeg

Superb Technicolor cinematography on TCM

BLACK NARCISSUS cinematography by Jack Cardiff

THE RED SHOES also by Jack Cardiff

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Wednesday November 13, 2019

Screen Shot 2019-11-12 at 6.06.44 AM.jpeg

Superb Technicolor cinematography on TCM

BLACK NARCISSUS cinematography by Jack Cardiff

THE RED SHOES also by Jack Cardiff

No kidding!  Kathleen Byron sizzles in "Black Narcissus" as the soon-to-be-ex-nun when she puts on that ruby red lipstick.  And who could ever forget the off-the-hook 'leap of faith' taken by Moira Shearer in "The Red Shoes".

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wish they had shown BLACK NARCISSUS in a prime time shot, perhaps after THE RED SHOES instead of before. It really deserves it's own cinematography discussion.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


© 2019 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy
×
×
  • Create New...