Jump to content

 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TopBilled

TCM and Other Sources for Classic Film

Recommended Posts

Thursday November 14, 2019

Screen Shot 2019-11-13 at 3.16.57 PM.jpeg

Dick Powell dramas on TCM

THE TALL TARGET with Paula Raymond

STATION WEST with Jane Greer

CORNERED with Luther Adler

MURDER MY SWEET with Claire Trevor

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Friday November 15, 2019

Screen Shot 2019-11-14 at 7.51.30 PM.jpeg

Vivien Leigh on TCM

THAT HAMILTON WOMAN with Laurence Olivier

WATERLOO BRIDGE with Robert Taylor

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Friday November 15, 2019

Screen Shot 2019-11-14 at 7.51.30 PM.jpeg

Vivien Leigh on TCM

THAT HAMILTON WOMAN with Laurence Olivier

WATERLOO BRIDGE with Robert Taylor

Love me some Vivien! Both movies so seldom get shown, at least when compared with GONE WITH THE WIND or A STREETCAR NAMED DESIRE (don't get me wrong I love both movies, but a little more Vivien in other movies is always welcomed by me).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

Love me some Vivien! Both movies so seldom get shown, at least when compared with GONE WITH THE WIND or A STREETCAR NAMED DESIRE (don't get me wrong I love both movies, but a little more Vivien in other movies is always welcomed by me).

She is exquisite in THAT HAMILTON WOMAN. My favorite performance of hers is in CAESAR AND CLEOPATRA, though. I remember seeing it on the big screen and thinking to myself how it is possible for someone to be that beautiful. Another lovely performance in a seldom shown film on TCM is DARK JOURNEY with the wonderful Conrad Veidt.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, sagebrush said:

She is exquisite in THAT HAMILTON WOMAN. My favorite performance of hers is in CAESAR AND CLEOPATRA, though. I remember seeing it on the big screen and thinking to myself how it is possible for someone to be that beautiful. Another lovely performance in a seldom shown film on TCM is DARK JOURNEY with the wonderful Conrad Veidt.

Interesting that you were able to see Caesar and Cleopatra on the big-screen.    I live only 40 miles south of Hollywood, which has a few revival theaters (yea, way less than 20 years ago),  and I don't ever recall any of these theaters showing the film.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Interesting that you were able to see Caesar and Cleopatra on the big-screen.    I live only 40 miles south of Hollywood, which has a few revival theaters (yea, way less than 20 years ago),  and I don't ever recall any of these theaters showing the film.

 

The showing I saw was at the Stanford Theater in Palo Alto, CA, circa 1991-1994. It was part of a month long screening of Stewart Granger's films.

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saturday November 16, 2019

Screen Shot 2019-11-16 at 7.00.29 AM.jpeg

Colonial drama on TCM

DRUMS ALONG THE MOHAWK with Henry Fonda & Claudette Colbert

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Saturday November 16, 2019

Screen Shot 2019-11-16 at 7.00.29 AM.jpeg

Colonial drama on TCM

DRUMS ALONG THE MOHAWK with Henry Fonda & Claudette Colbert

Good film. Not the best film of either Fonda or Colbert, but still entertaining.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

Good film. Not the best film of either Fonda or Colbert, but still entertaining.

It's in my top 10 Claudette Colbert films. I think she gives an extraordinary performance. And it was the first time she allowed herself to be photographed in Technicolor. She was notoriously vain when it came to her appearance. Her next Technicolor film would not be until TEXAS LADY (1955). She felt she looked better in black-and-white.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sunday November 17, 2019

Screen Shot 2019-11-17 at 7.17.59 AM.jpeg

This guy for hire on TCM

SHANE with Alan Ladd & Jean Arthur

THIS GUN FOR HIRE with Alan Ladd & Veronica Lake

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting that TCM would air SHANE  two weeks consecutively. I thought only NORTH BY NORTHWEST was awarded that distinction. 😄

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, sagebrush said:

Interesting that TCM would air SHANE  two weeks consecutively. I thought only NORTH BY NORTHWEST was awarded that distinction. 😄

This is how we know what the TCM programmers like. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, TopBilled said:

Tuesday November 19, 2019

Screen Shot 2019-11-18 at 7.35.27 PM.jpeg

Bette's got a gun on TCM

THE LETTER with Herbert Marshall

DECEPTION with Claude Rains

Screen Shot 2019-11-18 at 5.06.39 PM.jpeg

Can't get enough Bette, and these two films she is just as great as ever.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

Can't get enough Bette, and these two films she is just as great as ever.

Interestingly, both THE LETTER and DECEPTION were remakes of talkies made by Jeanne Eagels.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love DECEPTION. I like how Bette is the calmer character and Henreid and (especially) Rains have all the temperament.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thursday November 21, 2019

Screen Shot 2019-11-20 at 3.17.00 PM.jpeg

John Ford westerns on TCM

THE MAN WHO SHOT LIBERTY VALANCE with James Stewart

THE SEARCHERS with John Wayne

CHEYENNE AUTUMN with Richard Widmark

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Thursday November 21, 2019

Screen Shot 2019-11-20 at 3.17.00 PM.jpeg

John Ford westerns on TCM

THE MAN WHO SHOT LIBERTY VALANCE with James Stewart

THE SEARCHERS with John Wayne

CHEYENNE AUTUMN with Richard Widmark

Awesome! Especially looking forward to THE SEARCHERS, with one of Wayne's most darkest performances (and his best IMO).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Friday November 22, 2019

Screen Shot 2019-11-21 at 9.52.11 AM.png

Watch what you eat on TCM

SOYLENT GREEN with Charlton Heston

I so want to quote the closing line but it would be a HUGE spoiler!

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

I so want to quote the closing line but it would be a HUGE spoiler!

Yes, there are probably folks who haven't seen it yet. :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saturday November 23, 2019

Screen Shot 2019-11-22 at 9.00.08 AM.jpeg

Pimpernel and its sequel on TCM

THE SCARLET PIMPERNEL with Leslie Howard

THE RETURN OF THE SCARLET PIMPERNEL with Barry K. Barnes

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Saturday November 23, 2019

Screen Shot 2019-11-22 at 9.00.08 AM.jpeg

Pimpernel and its sequel on TCM

THE SCARLET PIMPERNEL with Leslie Howard

THE RETURN OF THE SCARLET PIMPERNEL with Barry K. Barnes

Awesome pair of movies. Leslie was so dashing in THE SCARLET PIMPERNEL and the sequel wasn't half bad despite Leslie's absence.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

© 2020 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy
×
×
  • Create New...