Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM and Other Sources for Classic Film


TopBilled
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, TopBilled said:

Wednesday December 11, 2019

Screen Shot 2019-12-10 at 9.16.14 PM.jpeg

Cat flicks on TCM

BELL BOOK AND CANDLE with Kim Novak

HARRY AND TONTO with Art Carney and friend

Good films.

(Though as much as I love Art Carney, and no argument from me he was great in HARRY AND TONTO, I am not so sure he deserved to win the Best Actor oscar that year over Al Pacino in THE GODFATHER PART II or Jack Nicholson in CHINATOWN).

Though it's been awhile since I've seen HARRY AND TONTO. Maybe I'll change my mind this viewing.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

Good films.

(Though as much as I love Art Carney, and no argument from me he was great in HARRY AND TONTO, I am not so sure he deserved to win the Best Actor oscar that year over Al Pacino in THE GODFATHER PART II or Jack Nicholson in CHINATOWN).

Though it's been awhile since I've seen HARRY AND TONTO. Maybe I'll change my mind this viewing.

I think it's good when an older character actor wins for a "quiet" sort of movie. So I have no problem with Carney receiving the Oscar.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, TopBilled said:

I think it's good when an older character actor wins for a "quiet" sort of movie. So I have no problem with Carney receiving the Oscar.

I agree, and I also agree that Al Pacino and Jack Nicholson were just as deserving.

I love the ensemble cast in this film. Everyone seems quirky. So many of them are drifters, yet they persevere without hesitation. Carney's character takes everything in stride, and never judges them. It's also important to remember that this was a day and age when animals were banned from just about everywhere but an owned house, so his refusal to give up his beloved cat is not only sincere but brave, and he portrays that exceptionally, I think.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, sagebrush said:

I agree, and I also agree that Al Pacino and Jack Nicholson were just as deserving.

I love the ensemble cast in this film. Everyone seems quirky. So many of them are drifters, yet they persevere without hesitation. Carney's character takes everything in stride, and never judges them. It's also important to remember that this was a day and age when animals were banned from just about everywhere but an owned house, so his refusal to give up his beloved cat is not only sincere but brave, and he portrays that exceptionally, I think.

You're right that "rules" (laws?) about animals, especially service animals, have changed.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...