Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TopBilled

TCM and Other Sources for Classic Film

ME-TV did a wise thing but locking up Universal horror films.     For years now many people at this forum have wanted TCM to gain access to those films.    So to me it is a safe (logical) assumption that these movie are appealing to others outside this forum (and as you noted potentially younger viewers).

So good move by ME-TV.    Did they beat TCM to the punch?    Maybe.   Regardless not getting access to these films was a missed opportunity by TCM.

And they had more than ample opportunity but tcm has made an unrelenting habit of ignoring the Universal films.

2e14zye.jpg

I'm tired of all these posts about some fish monster. Now here's a real monster, why won't TCM show The Brainiac (El Baron del Terror)?

tumblr_mb3qp4jpjS1r1d5rwo1_1280.jpg

That is Alec Guinness as Fagin in OLIVER TWIST

olivertwist.gif

photo-Oliver-Twist-1947-3.jpg

I didn't realize Hugh Griffith made Mexican films.

Hugh's tongue is still a bit swollen from all that water rationing aboard the Bounty.  :lol:

Yep, that's a good likeness also. 

But NOW I'm tryin' to figure out which actor ND's beloved water creature might resemble.

(...any guesses out there?...and no..."Lloyd Bridges" isn't it!)

For those who don't know.  MeTV does not show movies!  It has a horror/sci-fi program on Saturday(?) nights where Svengoolie "shows" a movie.  It is about 60% movie and 40% Svengoolie or commercials.  Not even worth recording to fast forward through.

Program schedules may show the title of the movie so you think it's a movie.

For those who don't know.  MeTV does not show movies!  It has a horror/sci-fi program on Saturday(?) nights where Svengoolie "shows" a movie.  It is about 60% movie and 40% Svengoolie or commercials.  

Sometimes if you go to the deli counter and purchase the cheapest ham they have on sale, it's 60% meat and 40% water. But it's still ham.

:)

For those who don't know.  MeTV does not show movies!  It has a horror/sci-fi program on Saturday(?) nights where Svengoolie "shows" a movie.  It is about 60% movie and 40% Svengoolie or commercials.  Not even worth recording to fast forward through.

Program schedules may show the title of the movie so you think it's a movie.

C'mon, Svengoolie doesn't chop 'em up that much. I've been watching, After a break Svengoolie will pick the film up right where it left off. Am I wrong about that?

• Like 1

Yep, that's a good likeness also. 

But NOW I'm tryin' to figure out which actor ND's beloved water creature might resemble.

(...any guesses out there?...and no..."Lloyd Bridges" isn't it!)

I believe it was Bronxgirl who once suggested Troy Donahue. It's in the lookalike thread somewhere.

Here's a frontal view of El Baron. The tongue is for sucking peoples' brains out.

thr_brainiac.jpg

But your name may be misspelled on your gravestone, and that's for eternity.

But that won't be my mistake. Let the gravestone maker go to hell, I'll rest in peace.

:P

Here's a frontal view of El Baron. The tongue is for sucking peoples' brains out.

thr_brainiac.jpg

I hate to think what the tip of his tongue is almost touching.

I think part of it is that the Universal horror pics with Svengoolie are appealing to a wider (and potentially younger) audience.

Well we have this week's Essential at Number 2 for the last two days on the TCM.most searched titles.on the database, per.Topbilled's thread, and was No. 1 two days ago. So if this is the data source.that has led.to the criteria that MeTV is siphoning off.TCM viewers on Saturday nights, it didnt happen this week.

Well we have this week's Essential at Number 2 for the last two days on the TCM.most searched titles.on the database, per.Topbilled's thread, and was No. 1 two days ago. So if this is the data source.that has led.to the criteria that MeTV is siphoning off.TCM viewers on Saturday nights, it didnt happen this week.

Come on, are we having an intelligent conversation here or what? The Invisible Woman was a comedy. I didn't sit thru it myself and of course this saturday's offering has been beaten into the ground so many times this past year on tcm so it is somewhat problematical in my view as to how many are going to be watching Creature From The Black Lagoon this saturday on Me-TV given the numerous times it has aired already on tcm. So I would suggest that we all wait until Revenge of the Creature is shown on Me-TV and then see what happens...but I do know I'll be watchin' Bus Stop this saturday at eight here on tcm.  :D

Come on, are we having an intelligent conversation here or what? The Invisible Woman was a comedy. I didn't sit thru it myself and of course this saturday's offering has been beaten into the ground so many times this past year on tcm so it is somewhat problematical in my view as to how many are going to be watching Creature From The Black Lagoon this saturday on Me-TV given the numerous times it has aired already on tcm. So I would suggest that we all wait until Revenge of the Creature is shown on Me-TV and then see what happens...but I do know I'll be watchin' Bus Stop this saturday at eight here on tcm.  :D

Me? Oh, I'll be watchin' Creature From The Black Lagoon at ten on Me-TV right after Bus Stop if for no other reason but to compare the picture quality between Me-TV and tcm.  :D p.s, I certainly have enough reference views of Creature From The Black Lagoon on tcm to work with.  :D

Nipkow,

What is happening is that this is a very simple thread. Another channel offering classics is competing with TCM for some of its viewers. But instead of letting it go at that, we have these loyal TCM viewers (who actually do watch FXM Retro and other competitors but are not admitting it in this thread) trying to downplay the importance of ME-TV. This discussion leads us to predictable places when the knee-jerk responses are usually the same time and again in various threads.

When I point this out, it invariably leads to weird joking, a manipulation of 'new' data, or personal attacks.

We do know that THE INVISIBLE WOMAN did chart rather high (at number two on Saturday among the most-searched titles). And I am sure that all three CREATURE films during the upcoming Saturdays will chart, too. So we have nothing to be worried about or insecure about, because again, this thread's premise is simple and accurate.

Also, when a poster says that this past weekend's Essential is number two for two days in a row, he is neglecting to admit that the previous argument that people only look up titles they are not familiar with, is tossed completely out the window. Without a doubt, many know about Taylor & Burton's VIRGINIA WOOLF.

So when the arguments get put into the thread, they eventually cancel each other out. And ME-TV and Svengoolie keep humming along attracting an audience.  Mark my words, people will do their best to rip this post apart to try and salvage their own arguments but we know the CREATURE films will do very well no matter what, and so will the other Universal horror classics that continue to air on ME-TV. There is an audience for these films, and if the titles cannot be found on TCM, then they will be found wherever they are playing (on a competing network or internet platform).

I like the Creature from the Black Lagoon. I think the costume is one of the most imaginative ever created. I like the action in the film and the actors, the lagoon itself is creepy. A great film. And I went to my brother's to watch it on his giant screen TV. It was like being in the theater. Lotta creature covered that screen.

Fave scene (and I don't have a screen cap), is the native who is backing away from the creature and saying, "No... No... No... Noooooo!!" It makes me think about all the actors in the mummy pictures who, no matter how fast they were running, could never escape the foot-dragging pharaoh.

I hate to think what the tip of his tongue is almost touching.

ROFL!, it is quite an image, isn't it? It's actually part of his hand, or whatever you call his version of a hand!

brainiac.jpg

The Braniac

Is this thing available anywhere? I'm gonna check Amazon because I haven't seen this film in 30 years and it has a special remembrance for me.

Nipkow,

What is happening is that this is a very simple thread. Another channel offering classics is competing with TCM for some of its viewers. But instead of letting it go at that, we have these loyal TCM viewers (who actually do watch FXM Retro and other competitors but are not admitting it in this thread) trying to downplay the importance of ME-TV. This discussion leads us to predictable places when the knee-jerk responses are usually the same time and again in various threads.

When I point this out, it invariably leads to weird joking, a manipulation of 'new' data, or personal attacks.

We do know that THE INVISIBLE WOMAN did chart rather high (at number two on Saturday among the most-searched titles). And I am sure that all three CREATURE films during the upcoming Saturdays will chart, too. So we have nothing to be worried about or insecure about, because again, this thread's premise is simple and accurate.

Also, when a poster says that this past weekend's Essential is number two for two days in a row, he is neglecting to admit that the previous argument that people only look up titles they are not familiar with, is tossed completely out the window. Without a doubt, many know about Taylor & Burton's VIRGINIA WOOLF.

So when the arguments get put into the thread, they eventually cancel each other out. And ME-TV and Svengoolie keep humming along attracting an audience.  Mark my words, people will do their best to rip this post apart to try and salvage their own arguments but we know the CREATURE films will do very well no matter what, and so will the other Universal horror classics that continue to air on ME-TV. There is an audience for these films, and if the titles cannot be found on TCM, then they will be found wherever they are playing (on a competing network or internet platform).

Dam straight! Who doesn't like sequels?...and Creature From The Black Lagoon, the last great classic universal monster, is good for two of them.  :)

The Braniac

Is this thing available anywhere? I'm gonna check Amazon because I haven't seen this film in 30 years and it has a special remembrance for me.

I just found it on YouTube. Several trailers precede it.  There are also some really funny articles about it online. And the opening scene, with the Mexican Inquisition, is so crazily verbose that it's hilarious! And then there are the kinky bits as well, between the Brainiac and his female victims.

The film starts at about 7:45 into the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2fxeZS4a0w

Screw no-good garbage like 'Revenge of the Creature'.

If TCM wants to show a decent sequel, I want it to be 'Return of the Fly' (1959). Now, that's good stuff!

Well, you're in luck. Tcm does not seem very inclined to ever show it, now are they?  :D

If TCM wants to show a decent sequel, I want it to be 'Return of the Fly' (1959). Now, that's good stuff!

Congrats, TopBilled. Hilarious comments like this, AND 11K views!

You rock, TopBilled!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Is it any wonder this place scares away new members? :o

• Like 1

Congrats, TopBilled. Hilarious comments like this, AND 11K views!

You rock, TopBilled!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Is it any wonder this place scares away new members? :o

Thanks. LOL I think we're going to eventually surpass Fred's youtube thread... :)