BRIEF ENCOUNTER with Trevor Howard

• Like 1

On 2/15/2020 at 9:37 AM, TopBilled said:

Saturday February 15, 2020

Screen Shot 2020-02-14 at 6.07.13 PM.jpeg

Rock Hudson on TCM

WRITTEN ON THE WIND with Dorothy Malone

ICE STATION ZEBRA with Ernest Borgnine

when the s. actor Oscar was awarded a 2nd time to anthony quinn for lust for life, co-nominees mickey rooney up for bold and the brave nudged Robert stack up for this one and told him we was robbed  unquote

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Tuesday February 18, 2020

Screen Shot 2019-02-05 at 4.25.08 PM.jpeg

Celia Johnson in a Noel Coward story on TCM

IN WHICH WE SERVE with John Mills

BRIEF ENCOUNTER with Trevor Howard

still have not had the chance to see it  new York film critics went for this though

• Like 1

On 2/17/2020 at 2:00 AM, TopBilled said:

Monday February 17, 2020

SCREEN.jpeg

Leslie Caron on TCM

AN AMERICAN IN PARIS with Gene Kelly

GIGI with Maurice Chevalier

not singin in the rain, but still must rank among hollywoods top ten musicals   people told Kelly it was risky ending with that long ballet, obviously worked with huge box office numbers and 6 academy awards

• Like 1

On 2/4/2020 at 9:36 AM, TopBilled said:

Tuesday February 4, 2020

Screen Shot 2020-01-29 at 3.04.59 PM.jpeg

Ethel Barrymore on TCM

RASPUTIN AND THE EMPRESS with John & Lionel Barrymore

NONE BUT THE LONELY HEART with Cary Grant

He as very strong in this very sad & heavy wartime drama, but always felt-(alt Oscars again) though he outright deserved Best Actor for his brilliant comedic role in Capra's ARSENIC AND OLD LACE-(that town sq is still intact at WB;s too) He was u for this instead   Billy Wilder was correct the Academy had a prejudice against out and out comedies, comedy dramas they loved

• Like 1

To Top, as I wrote before to you, this is perhaps easily among the top if not thee top running topic pal

(P.S. did you happen to watch an of the Oscars)

Can you believe I've yet to see SW 9  Hope to March 1st, never been one of those Star wars fanatics, I like them ok, especially Empire Strikes Back=-(ironically it made the least of them all too)

3 minutes ago, spence said:

He as very strong in this very sad & heavy wartime drama, but always felt-(alt Oscars again) though he outright deserved Best Actor for his brilliant comedic role in Capra's ARSENIC AND OLD LACE-(that town sq is still intact at WB;s too) He was u for this instead   Billy Wilder was correct the Academy had a prejudice against out and out comedies, comedy dramas they loved

I agree...the Academy still has a bias against comedies, all these years later. 

1 minute ago, spence said:

To Top, as I wrote before to you, this is perhaps easily among the top if not thee top running topic pal

(P.S. did you happen to watch an of the Oscars)

I did not watch the Oscars this year, but I was glad PARASITE was named Best Picture. I hope more foreign films take the prize in years to come. Our American films win awards in other countries. It's only fair that some of their efforts win awards in our country too!

On 2/16/2020 at 9:47 AM, TopBilled said:

Sunday February 16, 2020

Screen shot 2017-11-04 at 9.28.32 AM.png

Universal classics on TCM

THREE SMART GIRLS with Deanna Durbin

THE UNINVITED with Ray Milland

Finally was able to see all of THE UNINVITED (***1/2out of four( & bio blood & guts either like todays horror films I know  I sound like some old man, but it's the truth you know it) A rarely ever got scared at a   Only about 10, my favorite thriller isn't really scary NIGHT OF THE HUNTER & THE SUPERB PREMIERE MAGZINE CHOSE BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN AS BEST EVER

Jaws scared me more then any picture

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

I did not watch the Oscars this year, but I was glad PARASITE was named Best Picture. I hope more foreign films take the prize in years to come. Our American films win awards in other countries. It's only fair that some of their efforts win awards in our country too!

Are you planning to see it?

2 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Cinema Paradiso (Italy) (l989) is my personal favorite one

• Like 1

1 minute ago, spence said:

Cinema Paradiso (Italy) (l989) is my personal favorite one

Yes, that's a good one...a classic.

12 minutes ago, spence said:

Forgot, Cary did not want to star in ARSENIC.. & thought JACK BENNY better suited to the role

Ever been on the WB's VIP tour>   I was here in '99 & wanted to go again when last out there in 05

Just now, spence said:

Forgot, Cary did not want to star in ARSENIC.. & though JACK BENNY better suited to the role

Ever been on the WB's VIP tour>   I was here in '99 & wanted to go again when last out there in 05

I haven't been on the "official" tour, but I have been on the WB lot in Burbank. A friend of mine worked there and I would go on to various sets with her. Mostly sets for WB television series.

I always thought Cary was perfect in ARSENIC AND OLD LACE, even though it wasn't his favorite performance.

Jack Benny would have been too subtle for the role. I think the part of Mortimer Brewster called for it being over-the-top, especially with the dark humor going on in the film.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, spence said:

Are you planning to see it?

To see PARASITE? Yes.

In my view the snubbed Cary fir at least noms for THE AWFUL TRUTH\,m BRINGING UP BABY, HIS GIRL FRIDAY & ARSENIC & OLD LACE & I know who was officially nominated those yrs & who woulda had to be bumped

When ever someone asked him who's the best in the biz without pause he'd say MICKEY ROONEY

8 minutes ago, spence said:

In my view the snubbed Cary fir at least noms for THE AWFUL TRUTH\,m BRINGING UP BABY, HIS GIRL FRIDAY & ARSENIC & OLD LACE & I know who was officially nominated those yrs & who woulda had to be bumped

When ever someone asked him who's the best in the biz without pause he'd say MICKEY ROONEY

Afraid I'd have to disagree with Cary on that one. But to each their own.

3 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

I haven't been on the "official" tour, but I have been on the WB lot in Burbank. A friend of mine worked there and I would go on to various sets with her. Mostly sets for WB television series.

Yoy of all people musta seen  TCM's in between segment on the tour, am I right? That once incredible museum, now mostly has BATMAN \& H, POTTER stuff everywhere  As I've told everybody that museum alone was worth the price of admission in '99

Some old guy downstairs from it knew Edward G, Robinson ^ a even older guy, a security guard that musta been then about \87 or 88 argued about what CAGNEY said in his book I have for yrs-(autbio) & in interviews that during the '30's they used real bullets, mater of fact CAGNEY almost got hit in the head during ANGELS WITH DIRTY FACES he alwaysspoke of it & of course P. ENEMY too  It was during the shoot out scene in the bdg wth the cops JIM said he'd had enough of it &left until they used scribbs  well, this guard insited CAGNEY was wrong &they alwas used scribbs  Museum had CAGNEY & BGART'S clthes BARALIE from THE GREAT RACE & TOBNS NRE, SUV ^ CARS FROM FREA RACE PIANO FRON CASABLANCA & YOU COUD PRESS SAY GUS OR HR VYRRIB ^ UR WIYKD SIW A CKUOetc *EXCUSETHE ERRORSm DARN WEBSITE DIESTHIS AT BIFGTm EATS THE WIRDS)  & if I try to correct my spelig uit vanishes>

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Yes, that's a good one...a classic.

And yet another ignired score by Morricone>   It's eating the words again Top

• Thanks 1

if your a huge music score fan or Morricone go to him 7 a huge orchestra doing segments of ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST