Jump to content

 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TopBilled

TCM and Other Sources for Classic Film

Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

Afraid I'd have to disagree with Cary on that one. But to each their own.

I read somewhere that Laurence Olivier was also a fan of Mickey Rooney. Not sure if that's true or not, but it's interesting that so many in the biz were impressed by Rooney's talents. He was definitely a unique lifelong performer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

I always thought Cary was perfect in ARSENIC AND OLD LACE, even though it wasn't his favorite performance.

Jack Benny would have been too subtle for the role. I think the part of Mortimer Brewster called for it being over-the-top, especially with the dark humor going on in the film.

We obviouslyagree 100%   I think it his finest per

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cab you believe AFI never awarded Cary Grantit's  lifetime achievement award?

 

& yet in it's 2nd huge tv specie &poll aired onCBS in 99 they voted him runner up to BOGART as all time male movie star

 

CHAPLIN to me was AFI's all-time biggest screw up, when of coursehe returned to the U.S in the early '70's to get that honorary Iscar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

I read somewhere that Laurence Olivier was also a fan of Mickey Rooney. Not sure if that's true or not, but it's interesting that so many in the biz were impressed by Rooney's talents. He was definitely a unique lifelong performer.

Yeah me tom but he was mosty qyted as saying he learned more aviut in actuing from watching spencer tracy then anything else

Again, excuse the swcrw ups, as I said if I attempt to correct a letter then it will eat the next one

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

I read somewhere that Laurence Olivier was also a fan of Mickey Rooney. Not sure if that's true or not, but it's interesting that so many in the biz were impressed by Rooney's talents. He was definitely a unique lifelong performer.

I'll grant you that Rooney certainly had  quite a lengthy career.

And yes even though there are a few films where he demonstrated he could truly act (like NATIONAL VELVET and BOYS TOWN), to me he never quite achieved the iconic status that his peers like Grant and Olivier, or Tracy, Bogart, Cagney, etc. managed to achieve.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

I'll grant you that Rooney certainly had  quite a lengthy career.

And yes even though there are a few films where he demonstrated he could truly act (like NATIONAL VELVET and BOYS TOWN), to me he never quite achieved the iconic status that his peers like Grant and Olivier, or Tracy, Bogart, Cagney, etc. managed to achieve.

I don't think Rooney's goal was to be a serious actor. His goal was to entertain. 

Guys like Rooney weren't trying to win Academy Awards, they were trying to please audiences. If they were recognized by peers, it was icing on the cake.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wednesday February 19, 2020

screen.jpeg

Black history month on Starz

THE WIZ with Diana Ross

SOUL FOOD with Vanessa Williams

THE SECRET LIFE OF BEES with Jennifer Hudson

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, TopBilled said:

I don't think Rooney's goal was to be a serious actor. His goal was to entertain. 

Guys like Rooney weren't trying to win Academy Awards, they were trying to please audiences. If they were recognized by peers, it was icing on the cake.

You'll probably right about that.

As far as serious actors go, I seldom hear anyone mention Rooney in the company of actors I've already mentioned. But he does still  have quite a fan base who appreciate him as Andy Hardy, and love the many films he made with Judy Garland.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Bethluvsfilms said:

You'll probably right about that.

As far as serious actors go, I seldom hear anyone mention Rooney in the company of actors I've already mentioned. But he does still  have quite a fan base who appreciate his antics as Andy Hardy, and love the many films he made with Judy Garland.

I think he was very skilled and not afraid to take risks. Plus all those years of experience, from his days as a very young child to performing as an old man in his 90s...of course, he just got better as he went along. He was no fluke, no flash in the pan...and he did have a specific technique. But again, I don't think it was Mickey Rooney's goal to impress people, his goal was to make them laugh, cry and feel something while being entertained.

My favorite performance of his-- playing Puck in A MIDSUMMER NIGHT'S DREAM (1935). He is perfectly impish in that one.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thursday February 20, 2020

Screen Shot 2020-02-19 at 6.53.02 AM

Robert Preston on TCM

THE MUSIC MAN with Shirley Jones

TULSA with Susan Hayward

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TopBilled said:

Thursday February 20, 2020

Screen Shot 2020-02-19 at 6.53.02 AM

Robert Preston on TCM

THE MUSIC MAN with Shirley Jones

TULSA with Susan Hayward

Love THE MUSIC MAN!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

Love THE MUSIC MAN!

Me too.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That BYU channel -- think it's Ch. 374 on DirecTv -- used to air the 2003 remake with Matthew Broderick and Kristin Chenoweth.  That's how I saw it.  Victor Garber was The Mayor.  It was decent enough.  Preston has a more earthy, raw edge than Broderick.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Mr. Gorman said:

That BYU channel -- think it's Ch. 374 on DirecTv -- used to air the 2003 remake with Matthew Broderick and Kristin Chenoweth.  That's how I saw it.  Victor Garber was The Mayor.  It was decent enough.  Preston has a more earthy, raw edge than Broderick.

The 2003 TV movie version was part of a series of musical remakes on ABC that started in the 1990s. 

The Music Man is coming back to Broadway with Hugh Jackman as Harold Hill and Sutton Foster as Marian.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Friday February 21, 2020

screen-shot-2019-02-18-at-6.44.38-am.jpe

Claudette Colbert on TCM

IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT with Clark Gable

DRUMS ALONG THE MOHAWK with Henry Fonda

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Friday February 21, 2020

screen-shot-2019-02-18-at-6.44.38-am.jpe

Claudette Colbert on TCM

IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT with Clark Gable

DRUMS ALONG THE MOHAWK with Henry Fonda

I just love IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT. Claudette Colbert and Clark Gable just nail it.

And I just love that infamous 'thumbing' scene on the road where the leg wins out!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

I just love IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT. Claudette Colbert and Clark Gable just nail it.

And I just love that infamous 'thumbing' scene on the road where the leg wins out!

It's the best scene in the movie!

Colbert and Gable re-teamed for BOOM TOWN (1940) which was a much different sort of story.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saturday February 22, 2020

Screen Shot 2020-02-21 at 2.04.00 PM.jpeg

Karl Malden on TCM

BABY DOLL with Carroll Baker

HOW THE WEST WAS WON with Spencer Tracy

THE GUNFIGHTER with Gregory Peck

A STREETCAR NAMED DESIRE with Vivien Leigh

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Karl Malden on TCM

BABY DOLL with Carroll Baker

HOW THE WEST WAS WON with Spencer Tracy

THE GUNFIGHTER with Gregory Peck

A STREETCAR NAMED DESIRE with Vivien Leigh

Wow, is there more than one actor/actress in common in these four films, or is Malden the 360 link in all of them? If so, I wonder how he managed to get that distinction. Has anyone else had that honor yet?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Saturday February 22, 2020

Screen Shot 2020-02-21 at 2.04.00 PM.jpeg

Karl Malden on TCM

BABY DOLL with Carroll Baker

HOW THE WEST WAS WON with Spencer Tracy

THE GUNFIGHTER with Gregory Peck

A STREETCAR NAMED DESIRE with Vivien Leigh

Awesome collection of films. Great actors in all of them and Malden provides great support in all of them (though he is sort of the lead in BABY DOLL).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, sagebrush said:

Wow, is there more than one actor/actress in common in these four films, or is Malden the 360 link in all of them? If so, I wonder how he managed to get that distinction. Has anyone else had that honor yet?

Yes, I was wondering about that as well. Maybe it's a coincidence that he appears in four of these films in a row on the 360 degrees schedule. 

With almost everyone else, it's been no more than two films.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, I figured it out:

BABY DOLL / HOW THE WEST WAS WON- Carroll Baker

HOW THE WEST WAS WON / THE GUNFIGHTER- Gregory Peck

THE GUNFIGHTER / A STREETCAR NAMED DESIRE- Karl Malden

(then comes STREETCAR / PLANET OF THE APES- Kim Hunter)

I guess it is just a coincidence  that Malden happened to be in all four films!

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, sagebrush said:

OK, I figured it out:

BABY DOLL / HOW THE WEST WAS WON- Carroll Baker

HOW THE WEST WAS WON / THE GUNFIGHTER- Gregory Peck

THE GUNFIGHTER / A STREETCAR NAMED DESIRE- Karl Malden

(then comes STREETCAR / PLANET OF THE APES- Kim Hunter)

I guess it is just a coincidence  that Malden happened to be in all four films!

Okay. Well for Karl Malden fans, it's a nice coincidence.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sunday February 23, 2020

Screen Shot 2020-02-08 at 10.56.21 AM.jpeg

Robert Taylor on TCM

IVANHOE with Joan Fontaine

WATERLOO BRIDGE with Vivien Leigh

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Monday February 24, 2020

Screen Shot 2020-02-23 at 11.56.26 AM.png

Out west with Robert Ryan on TCM

THE PROFESSIONALS with Burt Lancaster

THE NAKED SPUR with James Stewart

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

© 2020 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy
×
×
  • Create New...